PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Replayability.

Micjones
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
What makes a film worth a second look?

I have about 5-6 DVD's that I watch religiously (despite a huge collection).
I've yet to uncover the reason why I watch certain films repeatedly.
Some of them are simply excellent films among my personal favorites.
Others are mediocre to bad films where the acting is questionable.
Obviously the quality of the film isn't central to whether or not I'll watch it again.

Makes me wonder...
What makes a film replayable?

Thoughts?

Micjones
08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I currently have "Round Midnight" in my DVD player.
I can watch that film everyday.

Aries Walker
08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Action scenes.

The Peacemaker was not the most brilliant episode in cinematic history, but the scene where the helicopters go after the truck on the bridge is really well done and fun to watch. Same goes with the Spider-man vs. Dr. Octopus fight on the subway train, the hallway fight in Inception while the gravity rotates, the Blues Brothers highway chase scene, and about half of every Bond movie ever made.

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
What makes a film worth a second look?

I have about 5-6 DVD's that I watch religiously (despite a huge collection).
I've yet to uncover the reason why I watch certain films repeatedly.
Some of them are simply excellent films among my personal favorites.
Others are mediocre to bad films where the acting is questionable.
Obviously the quality of the film isn't central to whether or not I'll watch it again.

Makes me wonder...
What makes a film replayable?

Thoughts?

Excellence and what it can do to me emotionally. And some are just for fun.

Micjones
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Excellence and what it can do to me emotionally. And some are just for fun.

That's a good point.
I definitely think it might be the feeling the film gives me.

Rausch
08-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I probably pull up Office Space on Netflix about once every two months.

Probably watch Fight Club and Cool Hand Luke about every three.

L.A. Chieffan
08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Pretty much any Coen bros. film
Godfather
Indy
AP

Demonpenz
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
If a movie makes you feel good it is more likely to be watched again.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Really good, classic action movies. I could watch Aliens or Die Hard once a week.

I also have a huge movie collection, although I don't buy many new ones at this point. I probably have 20 or 30 I've never even unwrapped - stuff I picked up from the bargain bin just to do it. I've probably only watched the vast majority of them once or twice.

Seems kind of silly now.

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
If a movie makes you feel good it is more likely to be watched again.

I'm more apt to watch a seriously depressing movie... I love a movie that can just destroy me emotionally. As such, movies like Million Dollar Baby, Schindler's List, La Strada, Leaving Las Vegas, etc. get a lot of play at my house.

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Really good, classic action movies. I could watch Aliens or Die Hard once a week.

I also have a huge movie collection, although I don't buy many new ones at this point. I probably have 20 or 30 I've never even unwrapped - stuff I picked up from the bargain bin just to do it. I've probably only watched the vast majority of them once or twice.

Seems kind of silly now.

I also have an enormous DVD collection, many of which don't get much play. It's an addiction for me.

mr. tegu
08-08-2012, 12:43 PM
It just has to be a fun movie. That can be action, comedy, or suspense for me. Just like with TV shows, I can watch Family Guy or Seinfeld repeatedly because they are fun. Some movies I can keep watching would be the Bourne movies, BB/TDK, and Dumb and Dumber.

Saulbadguy
08-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Hell if I know. I have a fairly large collection of Blu-Rays and DVDs that I rarely watch a 2nd time.

I'm almost done converting my DVD collection to Blu-ray (excluding sets that won't ever get released in blu-ray).

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Hell if I know. I have a fairly large collection of Blu-Rays and DVDs that I rarely watch a 2nd time.

I'm almost done converting my DVD collection to Blu-ray (excluding sets that won't ever get released in blu-ray).

I'd go broke doing that...

GordonGekko
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I watch Chinatown a lot,

and when the shit really hits the fan in life, Dumb and Dumber or Team America

Frazod
08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
I also have an enormous DVD collection, many of which don't get much play. It's an addiction for me.

After the last technology upgrade, I slowed down buying shit dramatically. I had already replaced most of my VHS tapes with DVDs. I'm not doing that again. I probably have about 40 blu-rays at this point, and perhaps buy five or six new movies a year now, as opposed to a time when I'd buy five or six new movies a month.

Netflix has helped curtail my movie buying. As well as Hollywood's recent penchant for churning out mostly shitty movies.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
I watch Chinatown a lot,

and when the shit really hits the fan in life, Dumb and Dumber or Team America

Finally watched that for the first time a couple of months ago. I really liked it. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
After the last technology upgrade, I slowed down buying shit dramatically. I had already replaced most of my VHS tapes with DVDs. I'm not doing that again. I probably have about 40 blu-rays at this point, and perhaps buy five or six new movies a year now, as opposed to a time when I'd buy five or six new movies a month.

Netflix has helped curtail my movie buying. As well as Hollywood's recent penchant for churning out mostly shitty movies.

My habit has slowed down dramatically, as well. Mostly going with kick-ass series now.

durtyrute
08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I rarely will watch a movie more than once, but I do want to give the most recent Batman's a try, especially the first. I spent the entire film hating Bat's voice, so I basically missed the whole movie.

Saulbadguy
08-08-2012, 03:51 PM
My problem is I check http://www.blu-ray.com about 5 times per day and shit like Mrs. Doubtfire will pop up for $7. How am I supposed to resist that?

Demonpenz
08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
is it the "Behind the Seems" version?

durtyrute
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
My problem is I check http://www.blu-ray.com about 5 times per day and shit like Mrs. Doubtfire will pop up for $7. How am I supposed to resist that?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachments/droid-news/47077d1328734115-google-chrome-android-beta-available-now-notsureifserious.png

Frazod
08-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I want to see Robin Williams dressed up like a fat elderly nanny in crystal clarity. LMAO

Baby Lee
08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
is it the "Behind the Seems" version?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqz3zgqKf11r1cefdo1_500.png

DaFace
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
It probably varies a lot based on personal tastes. For me, I have a lot of trouble re-watching anything other than comedies very frequently. I'm a sucker for quotable flicks (Super Troopers, Anchorman, etc.).

L.A. Chieffan
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
It probably varies a lot based on personal tastes. For me, I have a lot of trouble re-watching anything other than comedies very frequently. I'm a sucker for quotable flicks (Super Troopers, Anchorman, etc.).

i met that chick from super troopers the other day

DaFace
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
i met that chick from super troopers the other day

The cop or the European chick? (Or someone else - there weren't a lot of chicks in that flick.)

L.A. Chieffan
08-08-2012, 06:44 PM
The cop or the European chick? (Or someone else - there weren't a lot of chicks in that flick.)

The cop. She's cute, no rack tho.

Molitoth
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Despicable Me. My daughter loves most animated films and for some reason that one is my fav.

Dazed and confused and Friday also pop into mind.

Mr. Laz
08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
i find that the casual feel good comedy keeps me coming back.

not too intense about anything

don't need anymore 'real life' when your real life is already kicking the shit out of you each day.

girl with a nice rack also helps :D

Jawshco
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I like teh quotable movies as well. For whatever reason here's my top 13 most rewatched movies:

1. Princess Bride
2. Waterboy
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Leon the Professional
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Evil Dead 2
7. Oh, Brother where Art Thou
8. Knights Tale
9. Sean of the Dead
10. Office Space
11. Life of Brian
12. Dumb and Dumber
13. Spinal Tap

KcMizzou
08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
The Princess Bride, Army of Darkness, Dragonslayer, Excalibur, Conan.

Mine seem to be movies that take me back to my childhood.

(Yeah, I was a geek... still am.)

Jawshco
08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh, and the Reanimator. I never tire of scarring others by showing them the 'head head' scene. Somethings, like gross-out movies, are just made for sharing with friends. Drag Me to Hell is another good one for that.

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I watch Pulp Fiction, A Few Good Men, Shawshank Redemption, and Office Space every year.

KcMizzou
08-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I watch Pulp Fiction, A Few Good Men, Shawshank Redemption, and Office Space every year.Same here, other than "A Few Good Men" Pretty sure I only saw that once.

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Same here, other than "A Few Good Men" Pretty sure I only saw that once.

I know it's Tom Cruise, but Jack Nicholson is ridiculous.

LOVE the screenplay. Almost as much as Pulp Fiction's.

Baby Lee
08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I know it's Tom Cruise, but Jack Nicholson is ridiculous.

LOVE the screenplay. Almost as much as Pulp Fiction's.

It would be intradesting to go back and watch AFGM in the wake of Studio 60 and The Newsroom.

I have a hypothesis/opinion brewing about how its becoming increasingly clear that Sorkin can't hide the structure and framework of his work any more. I watch his show to ID what 'beats' he shoehorns into his latest works. IIRC, I made a remarked about how his 'puppet strings were showing' by, like, the 3rd or 4th episode of Studio 60 way back when.

Gravedigger
08-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I've always been a fan of revenge stories. Count of Monte Cristo comes to mind. Seeing the good guy get jacked over and betrayed to come back and do the F'n over!

lcarus
08-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I like teh quotable movies as well. For whatever reason here's my top 13 most rewatched movies:

1. Princess Bride
2. Waterboy
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Leon the Professional
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Evil Dead 2
7. Oh, Brother where Art Thou
8. Knights Tale
9. Sean of the Dead
10. Office Space
11. Life of Brian
12. Dumb and Dumber
13. Spinal Tap

Thats a good list. I'll add to it. Movies that have good replay value for me, off the top of my head:

Fear & Loathing
Lost In Translation
American Psycho
Life Aquatic
Dawn of the Dead 1978 and 2004
After Hours
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski

listopencil
08-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Thats a good list. I'll add to it. Movies that have good replay value for me, off the top of my head:

Fear & Loathing
Lost In Translation
American Psycho
Life Aquatic
After Hours
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski

For some reason I just can't stand the title character in The big Lebowski. He annoys the living shit out of me.

L.A. Chieffan
08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
For some reason I just can't stand the title character in The big Lebowski. He annoys the living shit out of me.

The title character is the old guy in the wheelchair.

lcarus
08-09-2012, 02:14 AM
I think for a movie to have personal replayability, it must have all or almost all of these attributes:

1. Good performance/s
2. Visually appealing.
3. Good music and/or sound effects.
4. Scenes that can invoke any type of emotion even when you know what's going to happen.
5. A lot of little details that you might have missed on previous viewings.

Micjones
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I rarely will watch a movie more than once, but I do want to give the most recent Batman's a try, especially the first. I spent the entire film hating Bat's voice, so I basically missed the whole movie.

That's the only thing about the trilogy I didn't like.
Batman's God awful voice.

Micjones
08-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I think for a movie to have personal replayability, it must have all or almost all of these attributes:

1. Good performance/s
2. Visually appealing.
3. Good music and/or sound effects.
4. Scenes that can invoke any type of emotion even when you know what's going to happen.
5. A lot of little details that you might have missed on previous viewings.

I tend to agree.

TBS got me in the habit of rewatching movies.
Seems like they had a knack for picking movies I could watch over and over.
"Philadelphia", "The Replacements", etc.

blaise
08-09-2012, 08:08 AM
I seldom rewatch movies. It seems like I did quite a bit when I was younger, but I think it was just an availability thing. I remember when you'd to to the local video store and it seemed like the selection was small, so you'd end up renting Fast Times at Ridgemont High 2 times a year. Now you can get tons of movies all the time. Plus you have like 5 times as many cable channels.
The only one I'd say I rewatch every two years or so is On the Waterfront.

Some movies, if they happen to come on cable I have a hard time turning just because there's a lot of moments I like. Caddyshack, The Good the Bad and the Ugly or Goodfellas. Once in a great while that movie Fresh comes on cable and I end up watching. The scene at the end when the kid starts crying is just a great scene to me and I like to see the buildup to that point.

La literatura
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I've probably watched The Godfather or the Godfather Trilogy around 25 times in the past 10 years. To me, it's like going to an art museum to see your favorite painting. I don't do it as much as when I was really into movies. But I always fall in love with the story, the cinematography, the acting, the history, all over again.

Jawshco
08-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Fear & Loathing
Lost In Translation
American Psycho
Life Aquatic
After Hours
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski

I love the Dude! That movie rocks, and I'm surprised it didn't make my list as well.

Emotional movies are the ones that I avoid like the plague. I prefer movies that are funnier every time I see them or are just fun. Replacements is another good one.

I love "guy" movies as well- cheap karate/ninja flicks - cop movies like Point Break, 48 hours, and Bad Boys usually appeal to me when they're on TV.

lcarus
08-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I love the Dude! That movie rocks, and I'm surprised it didn't make my list as well.

Emotional movies are the ones that I avoid like the plague. I prefer movies that are funnier every time I see them or are just fun. Replacements is another good one.

I love "guy" movies as well- cheap karate/ninja flicks - cop movies like Point Break, 48 hours, and Bad Boys usually appeal to me when they're on TV.

Yeah I love "guy" movies. Particularly nostalgic ones. Like Rambo (particularly 1 & 4...2 & 3 weren't that good imo), the Rocky series, Karate Kid series, Die Hard series, etc. I can always watch those again.

Buehler445
08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
It matters quite a bit what mood I'm in. Most of the time, I'm needing something epic. Braveheart, Gladiator, etc.

Sometimes I need a shut your mind off action flick, Mr and Mrs. Smith, The Punisher, etc.

Comedy usually warms over well, Wedding Crashers, old School etc.

Sometimes, it is just that I really like a movie The Ghost and the Darkness, BB, TDK, LOTR.

Then there is the inexplicable ones that are bad movies that I still like, Replacements, The Rock, Van Helsing. All awful movies. I don't understand me.

Mr. Laz
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Heh ... Hellboy II, Golden Army is on again today.

I've watched(partial at least) that dam thing more than a dozen times

I have no idea why LMAO

lcarus
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM

I have no idea why LMAO

God I hate those movies lol. But believe me I watch and somehow enjoy my share of shitty movies too so I can't bash ya.

lcarus
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
It matters quite a bit what mood I'm in. Most of the time, I'm needing something epic. Braveheart, Gladiator, etc.

Sometimes I need a shut your mind off action flick, Mr and Mrs. Smith, The Punisher, etc.

Comedy usually warms over well, Wedding Crashers, old School etc.

Sometimes, it is just that I really like a movie The Ghost and the Darkness, BB, TDK, LOTR.

Then there is the inexplicable ones that are bad movies that I still like, Replacements, The Rock, Van Helsing. All awful movies. I don't understand me.

I've never seen Gladiator. Fuck, I'm ending this tonight. My brother has it on blu-ray somewhere in the house. I'm popping that shit in my PS3 no matter what.

Buehler445
08-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I've never seen Gladiator. Fuck, I'm ending this tonight. My brother has it on blu-ray somewhere in the house. I'm popping that shit in my PS3 no matter what.

It's worth the watch. At the time, it set the bar for violent action, other movies have since passed it by significantly, but it is worth a watch.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Gladiator is awesome.

And I don't typically enjoy these types of movies.

Guru
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I have quite a few but the one that I can't believe is on that list is Armageddon. For some reason I can watch that as much as Shawshank.

Bump
08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I can watch stupid comedies many times, like I've probably seen these 5-15 times since they've been out

Office Space
Half Baked
Swingers
Friday
40 yr old virgin
old school
step brothers

Other movies that I've seen a dozen times, love them because of how excellent they are:

No Country for Old Men
Godfather
Scarface
Shawshank Redemption

I'll watch comic book movies a bunch of times too like:

Spider Man 1 & 2
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
All of the X-men movies

There are plenty of other films where I thought it was great! but have no desire to see again.

Bump
08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I've never seen Gladiator. ****, I'm ending this tonight. My brother has it on blu-ray somewhere in the house. I'm popping that shit in my PS3 no matter what.

ya Gladiator is badass!

-King-
08-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't replay a whole lot of movies, but the movies that I do replay, I tend to abuse...

These movies have more than 10 plays the last month or so...

Lucky Number Slevin
Oceans 11
Dark Knight
Life
Simpsons movie
Hangover
40 year old virgin

Most of the time, I just pick one of these movies to watch while I get ready to go to bed, and as I fall asleep.

ThaVirus
08-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Dawn of the Dead remake. I've probably watched that movie more than any other over the past 5 years.

Aladdin is another.

Not sure why. I just do it.

ThaVirus
08-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Most of the time, I just pick one of these movies to watch while I get ready to go to bed, and as I fall asleep.

That's exactly how I do it. I probably watched Aladdin every night for like 2 years when I was 19-20. It's relaxing.

Buehler445
08-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Lucky Number Slevin

I'm going to buy this movie. I had forgotten that I loved this movie.

Jawshco
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM

I have no idea why LMAO

That movie looks great on Bluray/ HD TV. I enjoy both. Hellboy movies. And worse than that I have started to almost ironically enjoying the movie. Batman and Robin. It's so terrible that it's actually kind of funny. Has more watchabilty for me than the horrendous Batman Forever (which is probably still the better movie) .

Then there are movies that I know are great that I can't rewatch like LOTR: Two Towers. I just cannot stay conscious during that movie no matter how well rested I am. It puts me to sleep every time.

mr. tegu
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I watch Pulp Fiction, A Few Good Men, Shawshank Redemption, and Office Space every year.

I can watch A Few Good Men and Shawshank almost once a week each. Which is good because that is about how often they are on TV.

And someone else mentioned Oh Brother Where Art Thou, that movie is always fun as well. Another one that I recently got the urge to rewatch was Inglourious Basters. I love that one.

I think my all time favorite though is still the Back to the Future movies.

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I think my all time favorite though is still the Back to the Future movies.Solid trilogy.

Got my son hooked on them. :)

Gravedigger
08-12-2012, 02:11 AM

I have no idea why LMAO

The second one had everything, good story, good drama, great villain, more action and better laughs than the first. Personally I always fall asleep during the first one, and then the ending is just kinda disappointing.

lcarus
08-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Dawn of the Dead remake. I've probably watched that movie more than any other over the past 5 years.

Aladdin is another.

Not sure why. I just do it.

DOTD remake is great. So is the original

Barrymore50
08-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I probably haven't rewatched anything for a while, but over the years I've watched some of these over and over and over: Dumb & Dumber, Billy Madison, Shawshank, Die Hard, Army of Darkness, Into the Night (80s Jeff Goldblum-Michelle Pfeiffer), Night on Earth, and Rustler's Rhapsody (funny 80s Tom Berenger western parody). When I worked at a video store about 10-ish years ago, we could not keep Friday and Happy Gilmore on the shelves--people rented those all the time.