PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Weber Grill Owners

The Bad Guy
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Purchased my first actual grill today and went with Weber.

What will I like? What will I dislike? Got the basic model with 2 burners since I won't need a huge grill for the small family.

petegz28
08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
What will you like? It's a Weber
What won'y you like? It's gas

Brock
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Yep, I don't like messing with charcoal either, but damn I sure prefer it.

HonestChieffan
Never owned a Gas Grill. Love my Weber Kettle.

gblowfish
I think your model is called a "Spirit?"
Mine has three burners and is called a Genesis.
It's the second one I've owned. Really reliable lasts a long time. Keep it out of the rain.

petegz28
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Gas is easier, cleaner and quicker. Charcoal makes all the work worth while though. There is absoultely no comparison in flavor between gas and charcoal.

Fish
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
What will you like? It's a Weber
What won'y you like? It's gas

This.

lewdog
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I have one of each and use the gas grill during the week and charcoal on the weekend when I have more time.

Enjoy!

mikeyis4dcats.
love my Weber gas.

Inmem58
Gas < Charcoal

I own a rocky mountain myself. I'll never buy anything else. Best grill out there IMO. Never tried the big green egg, but I'm sure it's all the same.

CHENZ A!
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
classic charcoal Weber kettle grills are the best.

petegz28
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
The Weber I own is actually gas\charcoal. You connect one of those little camping bottles of propane and use it to fire up the coals.

BigMeatballDave
08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Yep, I don't like messing with charcoal either, but damn I sure prefer it.

Its a PITA but you just can't get that flavor on a gas grill.

stonedstooge
08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I have used a Smokey Joe Weber for years. Small enough for 1 and large enough for 4. Doesn't waste the shit out of charcoal either.

Mr. Kotter
08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
I think your model is called a "Spirit?"
Mine has three burners and is called a Genesis.
It's the second one I've owned. Really reliable lasts a long time. Keep it out of the rain.

BUY a cover; otherwise, I'd agree with blowfish. Webers last a long time; they are easier than Charcoal, unless you work a 40-45 hour week. Those extra 10 hours or more that "salaried" folks work, come from weekend and evening hours that..."conservative" folks think we deserve no real compensation for "working."

CHENZ A!
08-13-2012, 10:07 PM
BUY a cover; otherwise, I'd agree with blowfish. Webers last a long time; they are easier than Charcoal, unless you work a 40-45 hour week. Those extra 10 hours or more that "salaried" folks work, come from weekend and evening hours that..."conservative" folks think we deserve no real compensation for "working."

This thread is about BBQ you weirdo. Get out of here with your DC BS

The Bad Guy
08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Already bought the cover with the grill today. Got a Weber cover for 10 bucks thrown into the grill deal. Got a really great deal on it. 300 already assembled.

I agree about the charcoal v. gas that the flavor in the charcoal is superior, I'm not huge into grilling, but I plan to be soon.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Already bought the cover with the grill today. Got a Weber cover for 10 bucks thrown into the grill deal. Got a really great deal on it. 300 already assembled.

I agree about the charcoal v. gas that the flavor in the charcoal is superior, I'm not huge into grilling, but I plan to be soon.

I paid $174 assembled for my Genesis then got an additional 10% off. It was also from the last year that Weber made the grills 100% in the US and from higher grade stainless. :p

The Bad Guy
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I paid $174 assembled for my Genesis then got an additional 10% off. It was also from the last year that Weber made the grills 100% in the US and from higher grade stainless. :p

Hey, don't piss on my parade.

Seriously, that's an insane deal. They wanted 399 but my friend worked at HH Gregg and was able to get the manager to agree to 300. None of the Home Depots or Lowes said they discounted Webers at the end of the season so I took it.

chiefzilla1501
08-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Gas grills are great for learning. I have a 2-burner weber too. It's not perfect, but you can do some indirect grilling by turning the back burners off. My favorite thing to do is wet some hickory or mesquite chips, throw it in a foil pouch with poked holes, then smoke and cook meat on indirect heat for hours. The great thing about gas is that after a few tries, you know exactly how far to adjust the front burners to get that perfect slow cook temperature.

I'm pretty sure that for high heat, charcoal doesn't make as big a difference as people claim. But for slow cooking, gas grills a great place to experiment around.

Phobia
08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I like my Weber kettle. It has the stainless work area and charcoal storage bin along with the mini-propane charcoal start. Best of both worlds for a quick coal start. I had one of those Genesis about 10 years ago. Paid $150 for it new at an end of season clearance, used it for 3 years, then sold it for $150 before I moved to KC.

Al Czervik
08-13-2012, 11:36 PM
For the money, Weber....and its not even close.
Like GB said, keep it covered and it will last a long fkn time.
Clean it once a year....
I have the Genesis.....
Enjoy

DeezNutz
08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Have a Weber too and love it. High, consistent heat throughout the cooking area. Probably won't ever own another brand.

You made a strong purchase.

tk13
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Have a Weber too and love it. High, consistent heat throughout the cooking area. It's the Luke Hochevar of outdoor grilling.

You made a strong purchase.

Totally agree.

DeezNutz
08-13-2012, 11:51 PM
That's not good for my rage.

Saccopoo
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Genesis, Kettle and a Smokey Mountain.

They each have their place and it's not a thing of "gas is for noobs." Propane kicks ass. I use my Genesis for baking in addition to grilling. Holds heat and tempature like a champ. I've cooked biscuits, cakes, pizzas, etc. on it with great results. It's also great for high temp quick sears and the like.

Love my propane grill. Moreso than my kettle actually, which I don't use that much because of the pro-grill and the smoker.

However, you could save your pennies and get a Kalamazoo grill which gives you the best of everything (gas, charcoal, wood):

http://www.outdoor-gas-grill-reviews.com/images/Kalamazoo%20450.jpg

Sure, one might think that 13k is a bit pricey for a grill, but it's all about your priorities.

The Bad Guy
08-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Genesis, Kettle and a Smokey Mountain.

They each have their place and it's not a thing of "gas is for noobs." Propane kicks ass. I use my Genesis for baking in addition to grilling. Holds heat and tempature like a champ. I've cooked biscuits, cakes, pizzas, etc. on it with great results. It's also great for high temp quick sears and the like.

Love my propane grill. Moreso than my kettle actually, which I don't use that much because of the pro-grill and the smoker.

However, you could save your pennies and get a Kalamazoo grill which gives you the best of everything (gas, charcoal, wood):

http://www.outdoor-gas-grill-reviews.com/images/Kalamazoo%20450.jpg

Sure, one might think that 13k is a bit pricey for a grill, but it's all about your priorities.

Holy fuck. That's impressive.

DrRyan
08-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Charcoal >>> propane. If time is the gripe, get a looftlighter.

http://www.looftlighter.com/looftlighter/how-to-light-your-grill/

Not trying to rain on your parade TBG but I'm a big green egg guy. By far best and the last grill/smoker you will ever buy as it has a lifetime warranty top to bottom.

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
KK will hook you up at SMOKE & FIRE!

BigMeatballDave
08-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Charcoal >>> propane. If time is the gripe, get a looftlighter.

http://www.looftlighter.com/looftlighter/how-to-light-your-grill/

Awesome. How much?

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2012, 01:46 AM
I've got a seven burner stainless Kenmore gas grill that is nearly ten years old. Since yours is brand new, I'd suggest buring it in for at least our hours before cooking anything. You'll notice in a few months that your grilled items taste better because the grill has been used.

Mine has a large wood chip drawer which comes in handy for chicken. I'll soak mesquite chips in whiskey and water, then add them to the grill when cooking, which adds quite a bit of flavor.

Also, be careful when using a wire brush to clean your grill, as the wires can get stuck and mix with the food, causing mouth damage. After using a wire brush, be sure to wipe down the grill before cooking, just to be safe. Good luck and enjoy!

Der Flöprer
08-14-2012, 06:46 AM
I'm big on charcoal. Got to have it.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Hey, don't piss on my parade.

Seriously, that's an insane deal. They wanted 399 but my friend worked at HH Gregg and was able to get the manager to agree to 300. None of the Home Depots or Lowes said they discounted Webers at the end of the season so I took it.
yeah, it was an insane clearance deal at Home Depot about 4 years ago. Took me 2 hours to get the store to locate one on the racks and honor it, but it was worth it.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
I like the convenience of gas. Hell, I can't tell the difference between charcoal/gas when all i'm doing is throwing a steak on the grill for a few minutes. If I want to get a smokey flavor w/ gas I can use wood chips.

tooge
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
If you are going to use gas, then the best thing to do is make foil wood packets with some oak chainsaw dust or small oak or cherry woodchips. Place them in a small foil packet about the size of a deck of cards. poke a few holes in it with a toothpick, and place it on your grates. It'll generate a fair amount of smoke and thus charcoal flavor on your gas grill. I prefer charcoal, but this is money when I use my gas grill.

DrRyan
08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Awesome. How much?

I think it is about $80-100. I have had mine for several years so don't recall exactly but it gets a charcoal fire going quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Lm6_bCf0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Chiefshrink
08-14-2012, 09:13 AM
If you are going to use gas, then the best thing to do is make foil wood packets with some oak chainsaw dust or small oak or cherry woodchips. Place them in a small foil packet about the size of a deck of cards. poke a few holes in it with a toothpick, and place it on your grates. It'll generate a fair amount of smoke and thus charcoal flavor on your gas grill. I prefer charcoal, but this is money when I use my gas grill.

Excellent advice !! I will try that !!:clap:

Demonpenz
08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
if you Post meat pics we will move this thread to the new subforum /watching thread closely

loochy
08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I just bought a Weber Genesis S-310 for my father in law. It was really expensive, but I think that thing will last. It feels noticeably more stout all over than the other grills we looked at and everything about it just feels and looks like quality. He had his old weber for 20 years and it's still going - and it wasn't even stainless steel! I bet this one will last 30 years.

Extra Point
08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
if you Post meat pics we will move this thread to the new subforum /watching thread closely

NTTAWWT

loochy
08-14-2012, 10:28 AM

nsfw:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/yamix/yamix1004/yamix100400094/6932294-raw-filet-steak-isolated-on-withe.jpg

shitgoose
08-14-2012, 11:09 AM
The Weber I own is actually gas\charcoal. You connect one of those little camping bottles of propane and use it to fire up the coals.

I've got the same thing and I love it