PDA

View Full Version : Science My Rx medication appears to have been tampered with...

bowener
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I find myself in a strange situation, and I have no idea what course of action is appropriate.

I have a prescription for XR (extended release) adderrall, which is considered a controlled substance, and yes, there are a lot of people that abuse it. I do not abuse it.

SHORT VERSION:
It appears that at least 1 of my pills has been tampered with, the contents of which may have been removed and replaced with something completely different (possibly table salt).

Since this is a very sought after substance by college kids, and I live in a college town, how likely is it that the contents of my pill were swapped out by a Pharmacy tech or somebody at Walgreens, and should I notify them of this or am I just fucking paranoid?

LONG VERSION:

I take my pill every morning, which has created a problem that I will get to in a minute, and this past month I have noticed my medication has not been very effective at all. Some days it would work, and I could feel it working (i.e. I'm able to focus and remain on task, and I'm on a small dose of speed and my heart beats speeds up, which is kind of noticeable...), and other days I might as well have just skipped taking the pill.

The other day I went to visit my parents for a day and a night, and forgot to take my pills with me for the next day, so I ended up having 1 pill left over from that months Rx. Yesterday I got my prescription refilled, and took the pill from last month and dropped it in the new bottle so that I wouldn't forget about it.

That is when I noticed that it looked slightly different. The gel cap was the same orange/white combo, but it was slightly longer. I got curious and decided to investigate it a bit. Now, for those of you that haven't take XR Adderrall, inside the orange/white gel cap are tiny little opaque orange balls filled with amphetamine salts. Half of these balls are supposed to dissolve instantly to release the first 25mg of adderrall, and then the other half of the balls is supposed to dissolve 4 or so hours later to release the last 25mg.

Once I opened the elongated gel cap, which was extremely difficult to get apart (it was as if the two ends of the cap had gotten wet and then slid together) I found the inside of the pill to be filled with what appears to be table salt. It even tastes like table salt (probably not a smart move to taste an unknown medication, but I was baffled). There were no time release capsules inside, just what appeared to be table salt.

The problem with taking my pill every morning, as stated above, is that I now only have 1 pill to show them if they want to see what I am talking about. I am also worried they are going to accuse me of dumping the contents out, and trying to get more from them for free or something.

Since this is a very sought after substance by college kids, and I live in a college town, how likely is it that the contents of my pill were swapped out by a Pharmacy tech or somebody at Walgreens, and should I notify them of this or am I just fucking paranoid?

I would like to add that I opened a pill from my new Rx (the two halves slid apart easily) and it was filled with the appropriate contents.

bowener
08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
If they were tampered with this is the only scenario I can think of:

I imagine it would be very hard to steal pills from a Pharmacy, but I could be wrong. Since I am unfamiliar with what they do behind the counter, the only thing I can really imagine is that whoever counts out the pills swapped out some of the real pills with some they had loaded with bullshit and stuck in their pocket. Seems like a simple and easy way of doing things, but like I said, I am unfamiliar with how the process is done.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
if you are serious, tampering of a prescription medication is a felony.

YES, you should bring it to the attention of the pharmacy fulfilling it, preferably via a corporate person, not someone at the pharmacy who may seek to cover it up.

Brock
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
It probably happens more than people think. I've heard of oxy being stolen out of cancer patients' prescriptions before.

MIAdragon
08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Dude you need to make a big deal out of this.

T-post Tom
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
How many copies of "Catcher In The Rye" have you bought this week? :hmmm:

Pestilence
08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Dude you need to make a big deal out of this.

This.

Bwana
08-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Wow, you do indeed need to raise some hell over this crap.

ThaVirus
08-14-2012, 02:24 PM
This is a pretty big deal and you should definitely treat it as such. As someone earlier said, go corporate. Wouldn't want to risk this being covered up, especially considering that you now only have one of the faux pills.

Brock
08-14-2012, 02:25 PM
How do I get on this stuff?

KCUnited
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Looks like you got one of the good ones today.

bowener
08-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Looks like you got one of the good ones today.

ROFL

I actually started to write
LONGER VERSION (MY ADDERRALL IS WORKING):

And thank you all for your responses. I'm a bit more freaked out now...
I guess I just look up Walgreens corporate phone and call?

tooge
08-14-2012, 02:31 PM
if its table salt, just shake some on a fresh garden tomato. yum

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Take the capsule in question to the pharmacy ASAP. They should be able to verify if something is up with it.

EDIT

Whoops. You already took it apart. I wouldn't take that back in because they'll likely blame it on you. They will think you are trying to get more of the medication, and likely accuse you of tampering with it. Stupid? Maybe. But people do shit like this all the time.

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
At the pharmacy where I worked the techs were rarely allowed to even touch the CII medications. The likelyhood of them being tampered with seems low, but if you come across another one like this- I would take the capsule to the pharmacy to see what they have to say about it.

NewChief
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Just out of curiosity.... do you have any roommates, kids, or anyone else who might have access?

A kid could just as easily dump out the contents and replace them, taking the contents themselves.

manchambo
08-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I find myself in a strange situation, and I have no idea what course of action is appropriate.

I have a prescription for XR (extended release) adderrall, which is considered a controlled substance, and yes, there are a lot of people that abuse it. I do not abuse it.

SHORT VERSION:
It appears that at least 1 of my pills has been tampered with, the contents of which may have been removed and replaced with something completely different (possibly table salt).

Since this is a very sought after substance by college kids, and I live in a college town, how likely is it that the contents of my pill were swapped out by a Pharmacy tech or somebody at Walgreens, and should I notify them of this or am I just ****ing paranoid?

LONG VERSION:

I take my pill every morning, which has created a problem that I will get to in a minute, and this past month I have noticed my medication has not been very effective at all. Some days it would work, and I could feel it working (i.e. I'm able to focus and remain on task, and I'm on a small dose of speed and my heart beats speeds up, which is kind of noticeable...), and other days I might as well have just skipped taking the pill.

The other day I went to visit my parents for a day and a night, and forgot to take my pills with me for the next day, so I ended up having 1 pill left over from that months Rx. Yesterday I got my prescription refilled, and took the pill from last month and dropped it in the new bottle so that I wouldn't forget about it.

That is when I noticed that it looked slightly different. The gel cap was the same orange/white combo, but it was slightly longer. I got curious and decided to investigate it a bit. Now, for those of you that haven't take XR Adderrall, inside the orange/white gel cap are tiny little opaque orange balls filled with amphetamine salts. Half of these balls are supposed to dissolve instantly to release the first 25mg of adderrall, and then the other half of the balls is supposed to dissolve 4 or so hours later to release the last 25mg.

Once I opened the elongated gel cap, which was extremely difficult to get apart (it was as if the two ends of the cap had gotten wet and then slid together) I found the inside of the pill to be filled with what appears to be table salt. It even tastes like table salt (probably not a smart move to taste an unknown medication, but I was baffled). There were no time release capsules inside, just what appeared to be table salt.

The problem with taking my pill every morning, as stated above, is that I now only have 1 pill to show them if they want to see what I am talking about. I am also worried they are going to accuse me of dumping the contents out, and trying to get more from them for free or something.

Since this is a very sought after substance by college kids, and I live in a college town, how likely is it that the contents of my pill were swapped out by a Pharmacy tech or somebody at Walgreens, and should I notify them of this or am I just ****ing paranoid?

I would like to add that I opened a pill from my new Rx (the two halves slid apart easily) and it was filled with the appropriate contents.

I would absolutely report it to the pharmacy and, if you don't get an adequate response, contact the FDA. They take tampering with RX drugs pretty seriously.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
With only one pill, it's probably not worth going about it like "Here's my problem that you need to fix," as they might just assume you're trying to pull one over on them as mentioned previously. However, if you go about it like "Look, this isn't a huge deal, but it concerned me a bit and I think you should look into it," I can't imagine them trying to ignore it.

Switching out a medication is a REALLY big deal and can be very dangerous, so any reputable business owner would sure as hell want to know if something like that is going on.

CoMoChief
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I work for a mail order rx PBM......PM me and maybe i can assist you.

If it's mail order, they take this seriously, if you have refills, contact your mail order customer care line and ask to speak w/ a pharmacist because you think your order has been tampered with. Usually if you have refills you can ask them to reship and they will send off a pre-paid label to send back the damaged rx.

Detoxing
08-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey, uh...

I think the rest of your prescription might be bunk. You should mail them to me and let me test them out. You don't wanna get sick, do you?

Trying to be nice here.....PM me for my address.

Flachief58
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
If they were tampered with this is the only scenario I can think of:

I imagine it would be very hard to steal pills from a Pharmacy, but I could be wrong. Since I am unfamiliar with what they do behind the counter, the only thing I can really imagine is that whoever counts out the pills swapped out some of the real pills with some they had loaded with bullshit and stuck in their pocket. Seems like a simple and easy way of doing things, but like I said, I am unfamiliar with how the process is done.

Fuck you man, you're just faking an imaginary illness anyway. The economy is in the shitter and you want to bitch about ONE pill. Some of us need those pills to feed our kids so, until you walk a mile in my shoes, STFU

Dear Dea,

It's just me foolin again :)

ct
08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
think somebody just bankin on u bro

Flachief58
08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
think somebody just bankin on u bro

Damn straight homy

Demonpenz
08-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Might be God's way of saying you don't need to be on the stuff anymore.

Detoxing
08-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Might be God's way of saying you don't need to be on the stuff anymore.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8514/e88r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/e88r.jpg/)