PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Sleeping Dogs

Gonzo
08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Just purchased this today and it seems like a fairly interesting game. A little repetitive but it has a decent story line thus far.

Anyone else playing? Thoughts?

Dicky McElephant
08-14-2012, 04:56 PM
No.

Gonzo
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
No.

You sure?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I let sleeping dogs lie.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Seriously, this game is a lot of fun. I could do without all the cursing and would thoroughly enjoy the game if i could censor the language and some of the unnecessary dialogue. The fighting is top notch.

Ultra Peanut
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I Redboxed it this weekend after being intrigued by the Giant Bomb Quick Looks and I'm probably about to buy it full price as a birthday gift to myself. Did not anticipate that.

After being kind of disappointed by Saints Row 3 (too unrealistic for my tastes, the plot was paper-thin, and the characters suckkkkkked. SR2 was way more engaging to me) I'm really loving this. It's really nice playing an open world sandbox game set outside of North America, and it's even better that there's such a heavy focus on melee.

P.S. OMG I LOVE MELEE COMBAT

QuikSsurfer
08-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I picked it up Sunday and have put about 6 hours into it. I'm really enjoying it. It's like True Crime meets Just Cause 2 meets Hong Kong. The combat is good and very similar to the Batman games counter style. Really enjoying it.

SnakeXJones
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I Redboxed it this weekend after being intrigued by the Giant Bomb Quick Looks and I'm probably about to buy it full price as a birthday gift to myself. Did not anticipate that.

After being kind of disappointed by Saints Row 3 (too unrealistic for my tastes, the plot was paper-thin, and the characters suckkkkkked. SR2 was way more engaging to me) I'm really loving this. It's really nice playing an open world sandbox game set outside of North America, and it's even better that there's such a heavy focus on melee.

P.S. OMG I LOVE MELEE COMBAT Thats what made Saints Row The Third so orginal how over the top it was and it was no longer a ripoff of GTA. It had its own style and originality

Wallcrawler
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Hadnt gotten to play it yet, but its definately on my list. On the PS2 I enjoyed the True Crime: Streets of LA game despite some of its flaws.

This one looks pretty brutal from what Ive seen. Shoving dudes' heads into spinning fans and stuff.

The thing that kept me from picking it up was the knock on the combat later in the game, saying that shooting was pretty crappy and that the reviewer wanted to just forego the firearm entirely and run over and jumpkick somebody.

I love games that have good brawl mechanics, especially where there is destructible environments to kick/throw them into. So much fun. But if it gets gimped by forced gunplay that isnt very good, Ill have to wait on it for a while.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I picked it up Sunday and have put about 6 hours into it. I'm really enjoying it. It's like True Crime meets Just Cause 2 meets Hong Kong. The combat is good and very similar to the Batman games counter style. Really enjoying it.

Interesting. Sounds like I need to give it a go.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Off topic - but has anyone played the new Spider-Man game? I loved SM2 on ps2.

jjjayb
08-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Off topic - but has anyone played the new Spider-Man game? I loved SM2 on ps2.

Yes. Played for about 30 minutes. Hated the look and feel of it. After playing somthing like batman that's so polished, it seemed very amateurish.

QuikSsurfer
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM

P.S. OMG I LOVE MELEE COMBAT

You're dead to me.

Thats what made Saints Row The Third so orginal how over the top it was and it was no longer a ripoff of GTA. It had its own style and originality

:thumb:

Wallcrawler
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes. Played for about 30 minutes. Hated the look and feel of it. After playing somthing like batman that's so polished, it seemed very amateurish.

Jesus. Your 5 game library must be a sight to behold.

You sound like the type of person who has one game of each genre you play, and snubs the rest because they arent carbon copies of the ones you put on a pedestal.

ASM was no Arkham City, (like what, 98% of the other action games out there...) but it was a solid game. Only issues I had with it were that the random crimes in the city stopped after a certain number, pretty much leaving you with an empty city to swing around in with essentially nothing to do, and the combat couldve used a few more different moves thrown in. It did have a mission select option, which was cool, but in order to get more of the Swinging around and drop in for a beatdown action, you have to start a new game, which really sucks.

Anyway, since you only played 30 minutes of the game, Im guessing you missed out on one of the best boss fights the game has to offer.

suqpWcsrhVc

Comparing games to the top dog in their genre, instead of playing them for what they are is only going to lead to disappointment. That would be like bitching about roleplaying games not measuring up to Skyrim, and in years past all the GTA fanboys ragging on every sandbox game made that didnt match their precious GTA franchise.

Anyway.....

I got to play the demo of Sleeping Dogs, and Im not sure what the reviewer was talking about in terms of poor gunplay. I thought it was very tight shooting, and the time slowing down during vaults was pretty damn cool. Im definately going to have to grab this game. It just looks like too much fun to pass up.

lcarus
08-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Thats what made Saints Row The Third so orginal how over the top it was and it was no longer a ripoff of GTA. It had its own style and originality

Sounds like I need to try SR3. Always felt it was a poor mans GTA so I never bothered. Heck I never played much of GTA IV either. Something always gets in the way, be it Arkham City or Zelda. Always something to divert my attention away from it.

Wallcrawler
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I was disappointed with GTA 4. They took out the unrealistic aspects that made the previous GTA games so great. Driving, to me took the biggest hit. Driving is a real chore in GTA 4. Gunfights were much more chaotic and harder to survive.

In previous GTA games I could have a standoff with the authorities for as long as I felt like it. In 4, its like they were trying to make a statement as to what would really happen if you tore into a police force. Just wasnt nearly as fun.

As far as the SR series, I didnt enjoy 3 as much as I did 2. The first one was pretty good, a nice foundation for the series and you can definately see the improvement in the second game. 3 just didnt really do it for me. Its the only one of the SR games that I dont own. It was really short, and it really took a lot of the seriousness out of the game, which was probably what makes me like 2 a lot better.

2 had some really dark shit that went on in its storyline, but in 3 youre running around with a fart in a jar. I mean it was a funny game in a lot of points, but it shouldve been its own game and not one of the SR games.

ZootedGranny
08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Finished this the other day, and was surprised by how decent it was. Nothing amazing, but it managed to borrow action mechanics (Max Payne, Arkham, Just Cause) without feeling like a rip-off, and told a decent story.

I was most impressed with the pacing. Usually these open world games lean towards content over coherence, and SD avoided side missions nags and other nonsense for the most part. That said, the side missions are the same shit you've seen in every other open world game.

As far as Saints Row 3, I really enjoyed it because it finally embraced the fact that it's complete garbage bullshit, and they ramped up the insanity. What I had previously found juvenile somehow became stupidly endearing.

lcarus
08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I was disappointed with GTA 4. They took out the unrealistic aspects that made the previous GTA games so great. Driving, to me took the biggest hit. Driving is a real chore in GTA 4. Gunfights were much more chaotic and harder to survive.

In previous GTA games I could have a standoff with the authorities for as long as I felt like it. In 4, its like they were trying to make a statement as to what would really happen if you tore into a police force. Just wasnt nearly as fun.

As far as the SR series, I didnt enjoy 3 as much as I did 2. The first one was pretty good, a nice foundation for the series and you can definately see the improvement in the second game. 3 just didnt really do it for me. Its the only one of the SR games that I dont own. It was really short, and it really took a lot of the seriousness out of the game, which was probably what makes me like 2 a lot better.

2 had some really dark shit that went on in its storyline, but in 3 youre running around with a fart in a jar. I mean it was a funny game in a lot of points, but it shouldve been its own game and not one of the SR games.

Yeah initially when I played GTA IV I felt the same way. It wasn't as fun, the driving sucked, etc. Then later I got the PC version. First of all it looks soooo much better on PC than 360, and once you get into the game and get to the good cars, weapons, and body armor, it gets better. Plus I like the fact that I can put my own MP3s into a folder and listen to them in my car on the Independent radio station or whatever its called.

QuikSsurfer
08-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm alone with GTA IV -- I loved what they did with the vehicle controls. It took some time to get used to it but the cars actually felt like they had some weight. The hood cam was the way to go.

jjjayb
08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Jesus. Your 5 game library must be a sight to behold.

You sound like the type of person who has one game of each genre you play, and snubs the rest because they arent carbon copies of the ones you put on a pedestal.

ASM was no Arkham City, (like what, 98% of the other action games out there...) but it was a solid game. Only issues I had with it were that the random crimes in the city stopped after a certain number, pretty much leaving you with an empty city to swing around in with essentially nothing to do, and the combat couldve used a few more different moves thrown in. It did have a mission select option, which was cool, but in order to get more of the Swinging around and drop in for a beatdown action, you have to start a new game, which really sucks.

Anyway, since you only played 30 minutes of the game, Im guessing you missed out on one of the best boss fights the game has to offer.

suqpWcsrhVc

Comparing games to the top dog in their genre, instead of playing them for what they are is only going to lead to disappointment. That would be like bitching about roleplaying games not measuring up to Skyrim, and in years past all the GTA fanboys ragging on every sandbox game made that didnt match their precious GTA franchise.

Anyway.....

I got to play the demo of Sleeping Dogs, and Im not sure what the reviewer was talking about in terms of poor gunplay. I thought it was very tight shooting, and the time slowing down during vaults was pretty damn cool. Im definately going to have to grab this game. It just looks like too much fun to pass up.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I was expressing my opinion. It wasn't meant to be an insult on the size of your e-penis.

Wallcrawler
08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't get your panties in a wad. I was expressing my opinion. It wasn't meant to be an insult on the size of your e-penis.

I wasnt insulted at all. I simply stated that comparing a game to the best game of its genre, and forming an opinion of how well it stacks up to that one only leads to disappointment.

You play the games for what they are, not how close they come to being something else entirely.

Wallcrawler
08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I guess I'm alone with GTA IV -- I loved what they did with the vehicle controls. It took some time to get used to it but the cars actually felt like they had some weight. The hood cam was the way to go.

Yeah I just got so used to being able to nitro boost those fast cars, and pull the e-brake, sliding around corners perfectly like a boss, that the re-vamp of the physics really put me off.

Now I have to slow down to a crawl before I can make a turn or else I slide off the road, into buildings, over embankments, etc...

It made the chase sequences in cars just teeth grindingly frustrating to me.

Now the shooting, and the hit recognition/reaction, that shit was awesome.