PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Mega Threads: Love 'em or Hate 'em?

DaFace
08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I came to the realization a few minutes ago that I have almost no clue what's going on in training camp this year. I know we have a thread on it, but when you're not on here frequently (my visits have been a bit less frequent lately), it's basically impossible to catch up with what's going on when there are 500 posts every day or two to sift through.

That said, they definitely serve a function and help to keep content organized and prevent a ton of threads all one one topic. With as much as happens around here, the inability to catch up that I described above can quickly end up being the same issue with catching up on threads.

Anyway, I don't know that there's a great solution to the issue of organization vs. easy of following. But I am curious: do you love mega threads or hate them?

Simplicity
08-14-2012, 08:40 PM
That's the shit I DON'T LIKE.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I like the sex.

SNR
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I've always thought repository threads were dumb, but it's a habit that people love. So I usually just put up with them.

durtyrute
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
IF you are going to start a mega thread be it, training camp or a fucking royals game, have the up to date info in the op. The score, the lineup, who caught what etc...If you can't do that don't start the damn thread.

Dave Lane
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
There should be a Training Camp subforum in my opinion so threads of interest can be clicked on and others not. Season starts bye subforum.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I've always thought repository threads were dumb, but it's a habit that people love. So I usually just put up with them.

I guess that's my purpose for creating this thread. So far, the votes are 8-0 against mega threads. If that trend holds, that would seem to indicate that the issue is just that people start the threads in the first place rather than a bunch of people actually LIKING one big thread rather than a bunch of different threads for various discussions.

Reerun_KC
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Now they are turning to a stanzi fan blowjob bonanza

Buehler445
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Went with Gaz. I like them if I read them. Don't like them if I don't. And unfortunately I haven't gotten into the Training Camp thread.

That being said, don't take the KU/MU/Royals/obscure sports repository. That'd suck if those went away.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Went with Gaz. I like them if I read them. Don't like them if I don't. And unfortunately I haven't gotten into the Training Camp thread.

That being said, don't take the KU/MU/Royals/obscure sports repository. That'd suck if those went away.

Yeah, that's an important distinction. For niche topics that only get a handful of posts in a normal week, repository threads make perfect sense so that people can find the info on a specific topic. It's when the threads are about a giant topic that receives hundreds of daily posts that it becomes impossible to follow.

Dave Lane
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah, that's an important distinction. For niche topics that only get a handful of posts in a normal week, repository threads make perfect sense so that people can find the info on a specific topic. It's when the threads are about a giant topic that receives hundreds of daily posts that it becomes impossible to follow.

And then half the time the thread gets derailed with some absolute nonsense.

Buehler445
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

That can't be included in the decision. Even non-football threads turn into Cassel Sucks threads.

durtyrute
08-14-2012, 08:53 PM

That is going to happen no matter what thread. There is no way that 50 "grown" men can all talk about the same thing for months without it going stray somewhere in there. Fuck the mega threads. I would rather one story have it's on thread, get talked about then forgotten about, then have that same story be buried in a mega thread and never heard from again.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm kind of dumbfounded by the results so far and am very curious to see if they hold over the next 24 hours or so. Could it be that the only reason we're doing mega threads lately is just because we're all lemmings?

JASONSAUTO
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
If the mega threads just didn't include clay's trolling (ruined that thread for me) or the stupid pissing matches, they would be just fine.

Keep the news in the news threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
I think repository threads are useful when the OP serves a purpose and is kept up to date, such as a schedule/results or links to other threads.

Regarding the training camp repository, I think it's pretty useless... I don't sift through it daily and I'd rather see daily update threads than one huge ongoing discussion... but, the repository thread could still exist and contain some or all of those links and some random discussion.

I like the idea of the non-Chiefs NFL thread... it has links to the big stories (at least a couple of day's worth, anyway), and most of the topics had their own threads.

It kind of reminds me of when I first saw the Denver Post forum ~15 years ago, except they seemed much more obsessed about keeping everything in a few threads... there were a handful of threads with thousands of posts each and I hardly ever saw a new thread created.

Canofbier
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Two problems with mega-threads: for one, they can take a serious time commitment to keep up on. Second (and related), if you don't have the time to keep up on them all, then you miss out on information due to the fact that the ones who read them are particularly zealous in their chastising of anyone who posts related content outside of the larger thread.

lewdog
08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Too hard when you aren't online until night or miss a day and tons of posts have been posted in a large thread. Makes it hard to find information you care about.

JASONSAUTO
08-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Like the training camp thread with reports and tweets in one place would be cool if there want some fools trolling.

A separate thread for each thing like that would suck
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
There should be a Training Camp subforum in my opinion so threads of interest can be clicked on and others not. Season starts bye subforum.

This. The training camp thread this year has been a disaster from day 1. A separate subforum would have been pretty nice. Each practice report could have it's own thread, and there would be less bullshit in each thread.

-King-
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I do like some repository threads though. I'm a casual Mizzou fan so the basketball and football repository threads help me catch up on stuff I would otherwise miss.

But I think the quality of the threads depends more on the usual posters in the threads than the actual content. A thread could have the best content in the world, but if one or two posters decide to troll it, it's going to be a disaster.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
This is a pointless exercise. Are you proposing a post limit in threads or something? That's the only thing that will work. Threads that are interesting to people will get a lot of posts. Sometimes they get ridiculously long. I think it helps if people adjust their settings so they see more than 25 posts per page.

SNR
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm kind of dumbfounded by the results so far and am very curious to see if they hold over the next 24 hours or so. Could it be that the only reason we're doing mega threads lately is just because we're all lemmings?

I put up an initial protest to a single training camp megathread. This is fucking Chiefs Planet. It doesn't matter if a thread topic might be similar to another topic. Post it. It's football. Nobody cares.

But people just went along with it like it was important. Like nobody understood how else it was possible to discuss Chiefs training camp action. So I put up with it.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
This. The training camp thread this year has been a disaster from day 1. A separate subforum would have been pretty nice. Each practice report could have it's own thread, and there would be less bullshit in each thread.

How many practice reports are there? Could we just have one thread for each day? That might be similar to the draft where we have the main thread for the normal bs but a different thread for each draft pick.

SNR
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
This is a pointless exercise. Are you proposing a post limit in threads or something? That's the only thing that will work. Threads that are interesting to people will get a lot of posts. Sometimes they get ridiculously long. I think it helps if people adjust their setting so they see more than 25 posts per page.

I think he's proposing that we say "fuck repository threads" unless they're not relevant to everybody's interests.

That would exclude Chiefs football. Every single member who posts here joined because they either love or hate the Chiefs.

Not everybody likes the NBA. Or Mizzou football. Or international cum gargling. Those go in their own repository threads.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
rI put up an initial protest to a single training camp megathread. This is fucking Chiefs Planet. It doesn't matter if a thread topic might be similar to another topic. Post it. It's football. Nobody cares.

But people just went along with it like it was important. Like nobody understood how else it was possible to discuss Chiefs training camp action. So I put up with it.

You know the frightening thing? It seems entirely possible that this entire thing is just that we all followed the lead...of John Wayne. (The poster, not the actor.)

Frazod
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I think he's proposing that we say "fuck repository threads" unless they're not relevant to everybody's interests.

That would exclude Chiefs football. Every single member who posts here joined because they either love or hate the Chiefs.

Not everybody likes the NBA. Or Mizzou football. Or international cum gargling. Those go in their own repository threads.

Put them on ignore if you don't like them. I have a ton of KU threads, soccer, racing and golf crap on ignore. It's really not that hard.

-King-
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
How many practice reports are there? Could we just have one thread for each day? That might be similar to the draft where we have the main thread for the normal bs but a different thread for each draft pick.

Yeah, one for each day of camp would be efficient. Then all the reports and tweets for that day can be put in there.

If an argument pops up, it can just stay in that thread instead of infecting all the other practice reports like what happened in the official training camp thread.

DaFace
Put them on ignore if you don't like them. I have a ton of KU threads, soccer, racing and golf crap on ignore. It's really not that hard.

I'm not sure you're understanding what SNR (or I) is saying in this thread. Both he and I are suggesting that those types of threads are fine, but that it doesn't make sense to have one giant thread about training camp that's 4,000 posts long about the very topic this forum is meant to discuss.

Ace Gunner
I like "mega threads" because it keeps the board organized to some degree. But I understand your point. In certain cases, maybe somebody could keep daily track of certain posts or something like that and make a "Exerpts from _______ " sticky?

sheeeit. I dunno.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure you're understanding what SNR (or I) is saying in this thread. Both he and I are suggesting that those types of threads are fine, but that it doesn't make sense to have one giant thread about training camp that's 4,000 posts long about the very topic this forum is meant to discuss.

Well, then start a new one. I believe the conference realignment thread is in its second or third version.

Not that multiple versions seem to help much when it comes to that particular subject. :D

threebag02
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Cliffs Notes

DaFace
08-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe the issue is just that Tribal Warfare has been slacking on posting Chiefs articles as much lately. He used to post 2-3 articles a night. And I know they aren't always the most insightful, but at least they give us something to talk about.

chefsos
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
How many practice reports are there? Could we just have one thread for each day? That might be similar to the draft where we have the main thread for the normal bs but a different thread for each draft pick.FTW. This needs to happen next year.

Buehler445
08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
This is a pointless exercise. Are you proposing a post limit in threads or something? That's the only thing that will work. Threads that are interesting to people will get a lot of posts. Sometimes they get ridiculously long. I think it helps if people adjust their settings so they see more than 25 posts per page.

I think he is looking for a more grassroots approach to it.

I think people may take heed from the poll results.

I will note that the one that I REALLY missed was the offseason thread. There were a bunch of pickups that I missed.

DaFace
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I think he is looking for a more grassroots approach to it.

I think people may take heed from the poll results.

I will note that the one that I REALLY missed was the offseason thread. There were a bunch of pickups that I missed.

Oh, definitely. I'm not suggesting that any rules be made or anything. I've always been a firm believer that the community self-corrects and that mandates are largely ineffective.

If the results hold, my biggest hope would just be that 1) people think about whether we really need a *** thread and 2) people who post outside such threads won't be chastised as often for doing so given that a lot of people would prefer that anyway.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Perhaps the mods could take it upon themselves to lock an offseason thread at the start of every month and create a new one. I don't know. I'm sure somebody would bitch about it, though.

Bump
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
good poll!

I hate them. They are stupid. They always get thrown off subject. Who wants to read 20 pages back to find 1 piece of info?

Bump
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Get rid of mega threads. The community is capable of bashing and neg repping those who commit reposts. It kind of handles itself, you know? mega threads are tedious and like you said, too hard to catch up on.

ghak99
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I find the MU fb/bb and Conference realignment threads very useful, but I followed them as they went. I find the KU BB/FB threads even better as I can easily ignore all things KU. The training camp monster got big enough fast enough there was no way I was skimming it for a few post on the topics I wanted to keep up with.

Perhaps a "Camp QBs", "Camp OLs", and "Camp RBs" line of threads would have been more useful by being a little more specific?? :shrug:

|Zach|
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
The ones for more niche things like MU\KU\Photography\Cars and shit like that are fantastic.

They fail so miserably for Chiefs news. It is awful.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Usually last for a few hundred posts a then lose all track of iwhats going on in them

Brock
08-14-2012, 10:46 PM
A daily training camp update thread would be better than a 500 page thread.

Von Dumbass
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't see why people complain about the TC thread. Why not just go to twitter and read Babb's or Teicher's timeline? All of the info that is posted in that thread comes from the same 5 or 6 twitter pages...

KS Smitty
08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't see why people complain about the TC thread. Why not just go to twitter and read Babb's or Teicher's timeline? All of the info that is posted in that thread comes from the same 5 or 6 twitter pages...

Because this is where I go for Chiefs news (knowing that it is from other sources).

I agree with Brock, a daily update (even if the mega thread is still alive) is better for those of us who don't live on here and really just want the news not all the commentary, especially when it's inane babble.

Also I don't hate mega threads, it just depends on the subject.

Ace Gunner
08-14-2012, 11:05 PM
okay, well then you could just lock that thread and any other you think is gone to far. It'll help us all remember to just make a new thread for the day.

SNR
08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Also, a lot of people were bitching earlier about the rampant discussion overwhelming the updates in the main TC thread.

ME SO SOWWY

It's a message board. Not a database. We give opinions. We discuss. We comment. We debate. For fuck's sake, go read kcchiefs.com if you just want the basics.

If you're going to bitch out the people who "ruined" your almighty training camp thread, then start another. Then you should blame the fucktard who started the damn thing in the first place for being such a fucking idiot.

Now that I really think about it the entire concept sounds unbelievably stupid.

"Hey Chiefs fans! Put all your Chiefs talk in this one thread so we can keep our Chiefs forum nice and tidy. We don't want Chiefs threads all over the place higgledy-piggledy. That would be terrible."

Fuck John_Wayne/Equalizer.

|Zach|
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
**** John_Wayne/Equalizer.

yes

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't mind them. I don't always read all the way through them, so I'm way behind on the discussion when I try to comment on something when I'm like 20 pages in. So in that sense it's a little annoying.

mr. tegu
08-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I am not sure about some of the other repository mega threads but the Royals thread has remained healthy and productive all year. It hasn't turned into pissing matches and certainly isn't useless.

Maybe if the board wasn't so cluttered with worthless threads that are started every time someone has a random thought in their head people would feel more comfortable starting more threads on the Chiefs that aren't necessarily huge news. The training camp thread is ridiculous. This is a Chiefs site and people should feel free to post new threads that they deem worthy. I am sure a lot if people are like me and haven't been able to follow training camp very well since it's all in that thread.

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I am not sure about some of the other repository mega threads but the Royals thread has remained healthy and productive all year. It hasn't turned into pissing matches and certainly isn't useless.

Maybe if the board wasn't so cluttered with worthless threads that are started every time someone has a random thought in their head people would feel more comfortable starting more threads on the Chiefs that aren't necessarily huge news. The training camp thread is ridiculous. This is a Chiefs site and people should feel free to post new threads that they deem worthy. I am sure a lot if people are like me and haven't been able to follow training camp very well since it's all in that thread.

I agree with the Royals thread. Been pretty civil in there.

aturnis
08-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Nothing is worse than a mega thread.

Ok, I lied. Someone posting "repost!" to an article that is apparently buried in a mega thread is the gayest thing ever.

aturnis
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Now they are turning to a stanzi fan blowjob bonanza

Do I have come on my face...?

aturnis
08-14-2012, 11:56 PM
I agree with the Royals thread. Been pretty civil in there.

B/c most people stay out of it.

aturnis
08-15-2012, 12:01 AM

It's b/c a handful of whiney batches complain about reports and merging like thread topics. It's asinine you mods let so few control the direction of the whole board.

Tribal Warfare and I used to post new threads for all kinds of reports. It was really good in previous training camp years when we'd post the daily reports out of training camp, date in thread title. Easy to find and easy to find latest info, now, we're fucked.

DaFace
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM
It's b/c a handful of whiney batches complain about reports and merging like thread topics. It's asinine you mods let so few control the direction of the whole board.

Tribal Warfare and I used to post new threads for all kinds of reports. It was really good in previous training camp years when we'd post the daily reports out of training camp, date in thread title. Easy to find and easy to find latest info, now, we're fucked.

Well, I'd say this thread is pretty good evidence that you should feel free to post threads like that and tell people who object to kindly go fuck themselves.

Oh, and for the record: 1) not a mod anymore and 2) it's not really the mods' job to drive discussion so much as it is to keep the peace.

aturnis
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Like the training camp thread with reports and tweets in one place would be cool if there want some fools trolling.

A separate thread for each thing like that would suck
Posted via Mobile Device

A new thread for each practices reports and tweets would be terrible? What would that be, 15 threads over a 2-3 week period? That'd be bad...

Ace Gunner
08-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Carl Peterson must have had a staff that thought up ten excuses per day for this franchise. It was a god damn circus back then and the media ate it up, as did fans.

KCtotheSB
08-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Hate mega threads. I get my daily news every morning with a quick glance at the topics on the main page.

listopencil
08-15-2012, 02:16 AM
I like the mega threads for stuff like Training Camp because you can go back and catch up on stuff. Anything threadworthy that happens can still be put in a separate thread, and the people that bitch about that can refrain from clicking on it, just as the people that don't like mega threads can refrain from clicking on them.

ChiefsNow
08-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I have nobody on ignore. But the word repository and I ignore every one after reading maybe 4 or 5 pages. Reposts do not bother me at all. I look at when they are posted and figure the newest one supercedes the older one. I absolutely HATE mega threads and find the search for whether or not it is a repost or not to be total fail. The way I look at it , if a mega thread is over a week old, it is OLD news and should be replaced with a new version.

Luke Warm
08-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Can someone please explain what "Gaz" is...I always see it as the last choice in all your polls. As far as megathreads go, **** em.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Can someone please explain what "Gaz" is...I always see it as the last choice in all your polls. As far as megathreads go, **** em.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Luke Warm
08-15-2012, 06:59 AM
If you have to ask, you'll never know.

So its something stupid?

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 07:00 AM
So its something stupid?

Nah, it's a tribute to a clever poster that left forever (and actually did it).

ChiefsNow
08-15-2012, 07:01 AM
because as a group , they relentlesly fuck with people who are not in the inner insult circle.

Luke Warm
08-15-2012, 07:05 AM
because as a group , they relentlesly **** with people who are not in the inner insult circle.

Forum gang? LMAO

Predarat
08-15-2012, 08:11 AM
They are great for off topic things, maybe not so much for Cheif things. Plus now the Royals have their own board in RoyalsPlanet.

Chief Gump
08-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Probably afraid we might get banned if we don't.

ChiefsNow
08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Deface, we need you back as Head Mod. I mean that.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
The problem is the 8 people who spend 23 hours a day on CP who live to post "Q" when someone attempts to start a new thread.

ChiefsNow
08-15-2012, 08:20 AM
The problem is the 8 people who spend 23 hours a day on CP who live to post "Q" when someone attempts to start a new thread.

And how in the hell did it go from repost to Q????

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

beerme did it.

DaFace
08-15-2012, 09:37 AM

I'm not 100% sure of the progression, but I think it began with people spelling out "REPOST" one letter at a time in successive posts at first. When people tried it, though, you'd inevitably get RREEPOOOST and stuff like that, so people just started giving up and typing letters. Eventually, it all devolved into just Q.

(I think.)

Frosty
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not 100% sure of the progression, but I think it began with people spelling out "REPOST" one letter at a time in successive posts at first. When people tried it, though, you'd inevitably get RREEPOOOST and stuff like that, so people just started giving up and typing letters. Eventually, it all devolved into just Q.

(I think.)

Actually, it was because people in one thread were doing the repost thing one letter at a time and it went R-E-P-O-S-Q. All downhill from then on.

ChiefsNow
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM

(I think.)

keyword devolved.

Iowanian
08-15-2012, 09:53 AM
The big threads like the TC ones would be fine if they were more on task and had less douchebags doing their usual douchebag douchebagging with other douchebags.

Ace Gunner

boom goes the dynamite

Frosty
I think mega threads happen because football posts get buried so quickly by the poop threads and other bullshit.

I've long thought that the Lounge should be for Chiefs football talk only and then have a subforum for other sports, another for DC and have a "Romper Room" subforum for poop threads and other random stuff. I'm probably in a minority, though.

listopencil
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM

It started because when someone would post info that was already elsewhere on the board, people who had already seen that info would rip into the reposter. After a while more and more people would just put "repost" in the reposter's thread, or quote the reposter and do a one word response of "repost." When even that became boring, people started trying to spell out "repost" in a quick series of posts, one letter at a time. Of course the timing was always off and someone would always fuck it up. Once that became boring, people started messing it up on purpose. The funniest way was to post the letter "q" in the middle of it. Once that became boring, the letter "q" was used as a substitute for "repost." I currently post pics that are in some way related to the letter "q" because that has become boring.

Frosty
08-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Actually, it was because people in one thread were doing the repost thing one letter at a time and it went R-E-P-O-S-Q. All downhill from then on.

It started because when someone would post info that was already elsewhere on the board, people who had already seen that info would rip into the reposter. After a while more and more people would just put "repost" in the reposter's thread, or quote the reposter and do a one word response of "repost." When even that became boring, people started trying to spell out "repost" in a quick series of posts, one letter at a time. Of course the timing was always off and someone would always **** it up. Once that became boring, people started messing it up on purpose. The funniest way was to post the letter "q" in the middle of it. Once that became boring, the letter "q" was used as a substitute for "repost." I currently post pics that are in some way related to the letter "q" because that has become boring.

Q

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=250268

threebag02
08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
its kind of like

If you have to ask for the price you cant afford to shop here

so if you dont have time...carry the fuck on

tooge
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I hate when they get hijacked by a couple of buttplugs that disagree on something that isn't part of what the essence of the thread is about. For example, the bickering about McCluster in the training camp thread several pages of bunk that really doesn't tell us anythng about training camp. I'd warn said buttplugs to take their argument to it's own thread or get banned.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 11:30 AM

I love this idea.

Frosty
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd warn said buttplugs to take their argument to it's own thread or get banned.

:thumb:

It's not like there aren't 20 other "McCluster sucks!" threads.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2012, 11:42 AM
repository threads are fine ... keeps all the MU/KU stuff in one thread for topics that don't have big daily involvement.

Mega-threads on the other hand, suck. You have to dig through all the inane bullshit to find the new information. Every thread hijack or bitchfest lives for weeks because it stays in the same thread.

If you just have a daily "training camp update" thread then all the stupid shit that was posted yesterday disappears.

Saul Good
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I think we need a single thread to house all general questions. There is no need for this one question to have it's own thread.

dj56dt58
08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Mega threads is one thing I loved about cp and hated about other boards..they had them and cp didnt. Much easier to find information without them.

Ace Gunner
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
So, where are we at with this thread? I've lost track and don't want to read the whole long boring thing.