PDA

View Full Version : Poop ESPN's low point?

KCtotheSB
08-14-2012, 09:51 PM
http://deadspin.com/5934761?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This has to be it, right? Celebrating Tim Tebow's birthday. I mean, holy shit....this is awful.

-King-
08-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I heard about this on the radio. It's been ridiculous for two years, but now it's just asinine.

Sofa King
08-14-2012, 09:56 PM
http://deadspin.com/5934761?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This has to be it, right? Celebrating Tim Tebow's birthday. I mean, holy shit....this is awful.

Yup. Fucking stupid.

chiefzilla1501
08-14-2012, 10:01 PM

The decision.

I don't know why I keep going back. Sadly, the navigation on their site is miles ahead of any alternative.

JD10367
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
This must be a mistake. Everyone knows his birthday is December 25th.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry the low point was The Decision. :Lin:

Munson
08-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I can't believe people watch ESPN anymore. I stopped watching years ago when they obsessed over Brett Favre. Now that he's yesterday's news, Tebow is their new obsession. Combine that with their severe east coast biased coverage, its unwatchable. :harumph:

Deberg_1990
This is as bad as NBCs mega chub for Phelps.

Chiefs Pantalones
Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Tebow, Peyton Manning, Heat, LeBron. If you like any of these then you love ESPN because that's all they talk about.

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Tebow, Peyton Manning, Heat, LeBron. If you like any of these then you love ESPN because that's all they talk about.

Don't forget Kobe and the Lakers. Oh and Tiger Woods

Inmem58
08-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Good thing you guys don't watch NASCAR.

Jimmy Johnson, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon.

It's like the media gets a hard on for big names.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM

I try to forget lol

ClevelandBronco
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM

That post made me wonder who won the NBA Championship this year, so I looked it up. Now I wonder who won the NBA Championship last year.

cosmo20002
08-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Its pretty amazing that the first, biggest, and for many years only all-sports network is so hated by actual sports fans. Outside of actual games, I don't know anyone who actually likes the various hosts and shows. I'll watch the ESPNnews channel for highlights. I just can't take the drawn-out stand-up comedy, endless polls, jock-sniffing, and various other garbage of the regular SportsCenter.

mr. tegu
08-14-2012, 10:28 PM
This is as bad as NBCs mega chub for Phelps.

But Phelps has earned it.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM

OH MY GOD BRETT FAVRE TOUCHED A FOOTBALL IS HE COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT??????

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Yep, that shit was outrageous today on sportscenter. TEBOW this tebow that. Made me change the fucking channel. I try to give espn a chance every once in a while, but they are getting fucking worse. I mostly stick to the MLB Network, NFL Network and NBA TV. Its usually not as bad when it comes to popular guy of the year.

Big Smoke
08-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Dwight Howard

lcarus
08-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Tebow mania and the world series of poker. Yeah espn...I'll pass...

jspchief
08-15-2012, 01:59 AM
I remember when sportscenter was a daily routine for me.

Now ESPN is like the tmz of sports.

lcarus
08-15-2012, 02:11 AM
I remember when sportscenter was a daily routine for me.

Now ESPN is like the tmz of sports.

Yep. Half of what they talk about is who said what on stupid effing twitter.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 06:40 AM
The decision was bad, but at least Lebron is an elite player.

The Linsanity:whackit: shit and Tebowmania :whackit:are fucking retarded

Manning is back and better than ever is slowly catching up though.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2012, 06:58 AM
ESPN should just throw in the towel on football and stop covering it all together. Everything on the website is "insider only" and the television coverage of the NFL has been designed by a focus group of 15 year old girls.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Sporting events are pretty good outside of that steaming pile of fuck Vitale. They've got some marginal programs. For whatever reason I like Mike and Mike in the morning when it isn't gimmicky bullshit and OTL and sports reporters is OK, but yeah. It's mindless drivel. Even when there is nothing else on, it is unwatchable

JD10367
08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Like most of you, I used to watch ESPN religiously. That was a good 10 years ago. Now I watch it for NFL only (either live games, or analyzing/news shows like "NFL Live" and Match-Up and stuff like that). The 20 hours of Sportscenter is useless.

notorious
08-15-2012, 07:15 AM

You guys just mentioned 90% of the championships the past 10 years. I wonder why they talk about them so much.......

Seriously,though, it is getting old.

sedated
08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I tried to watch an episode of NFL Live, they spent the first segment exclusively on the Jets, then Peyton Manning, then back to the Jets. I turned it off before I puked on my remote. If I saw this Tebow birthday cr@p, I would have smashed my TV with a hatchet.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 09:08 AM
SportsNation is unwatchable after watching 3 "experts" (Herm, Wiley, and Salley) pick TO, Chad Johnson, and Randy Moss as thier "breakout" recievers for the upcoming season. WHAT.....THE.....FUCK??????

Is it illegal to talk about young, upcoming players that don't thump a bible, that they have to pimp those brokedicks.

BourbonMan
08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

The Iron Chief
08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
On the way home from work yesterday,I was listening to a nonEspn talk radio station discussing this topic
Sadly they reported that the Show "First Take"s viewers went thru the roof during the whole Tblows arrived at the end of the yr journey.
So much so that ESPN made a decision to have that show in particular be all Tblow all the time.
The Whole Skip Bayless wanting to suck Tblows D1cK and all seemed to agreed with the viewers.

In the past few yrs the only things I've watched from the four letter network has been NFL matchup and NFL live.

Sportscenter in a way has gone the route of MTV... over the yrs it evolved into an unrecognizable entity of utter crap!

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Who is watching this crap that's causing the ratings spike? I turn the channel immediately when these topics come up. I want to see actual talented players getting pimped and hear about all the teams in the league.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
SportsNation is unwatchable after watching 3 "experts" (Herm, Wiley, and Salley) pick TO, Chad Johnson, and Randy Moss as thier "breakout" recievers for the upcoming season. WHAT.....THE.....FUCK??????

Is it illegal to talk about young, upcoming players that don't thump a bible, that they have to pimp those brokedicks.

LOL WUT.

And I can't watch Herm. I just can't fucking do it.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
And the thing about it is that it is working for somebody, or they'd change it. They think that is the best way to get people to watch.

It's society's fault for liking that bullfuckingshit. I hate society.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Holy shit I have forgotten about ESPN.
I havent turned them on since the last KU basketball game on their station.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Holy shit I have forgotten about ESPN.
I havent turned them on since the last KU basketball game on their station.

Well done.

Canofbier
08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
This thread got me to reading other recent deadspin posts, which eventually led me to speedofanimals.com. Did you know that horse flies (yeah, those huge disgusting ones) can fly at speeds of over 90 mph? And apparently, to them it feels like they're going 4234.6 mph, whatever the hell that means.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Horse_fly_Tabanus_2.jpg/220px-Horse_fly_Tabanus_2.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
This thread got me to reading other recent deadspin posts, which eventually led me to speedofanimals.com. Did you know that horse flies (yeah, those huge disgusting ones) can fly at speeds of over 90 mph? And apparently, to them it feels like they're going 4234.6 mph, whatever the hell that means.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Horse_fly_Tabanus_2.jpg/220px-Horse_fly_Tabanus_2.jpg

ESPN should do a story on that. Maybe a Sports Science type of thing. It would be far more interesting than poker.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I watch the MLB games on ESPN, Baseball Tonight quite a bit, some NFL Live during football season and some NFL pre-game. I rarely catch SportsCenter anymore. OTL is often pretty decent but I rarely have a chance to watch it. Mike & Mike is sometimes ok but same thing... rarely get to see it.

Their afternoon shows are absolute trash imo. SportsNation, PTI, Rome and the "roundtable" that Tony Reali hosts... can't do any of that. SportsNation is especially shitty.

Unluckily ESPN is the only full time sports channel I have.

The Iron Chief
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
And I can't watch Herm. I just can't ****ing do it.

I So agree about Herm I cant grab my remote fast enough the Herminator persona is soooo horribly scripted so horribly acted its beyond belief it made it on the air ever.
A low point imo.
But again the Tblow lovers might like this crap.

vxToUoZFGjY

Someone remind me of what Herms done in his career to keep him on TV past actually playing... cant coach cant announce certainly cant Act!

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 09:50 AM
LOL WUT.

And I can't watch Herm. I just can't fucking do it.

I'm going to try to find it online. The hot blonde even facepalmed and was like :spock:

Frazod
08-15-2012, 09:53 AM
BRETT FAVRE WAS JUST SPOTTED JOGGING. IS HE PLANNING ANOTHER COMEBACK?

ct
08-15-2012, 09:57 AM

ROFL

DJay23
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
And the thing about it is that it is working for somebody, or they'd change it. They think that is the best way to get people to watch.

It's society's fault for liking that bull****ingshit. I hate society.

Stupid people are stupid because they consume stupid things. Dumb reality talent contests, food that's more chemical than animal or vegetable, etc. I agree with you, that because a majority of people have such horrible taste, that the rest of us with brains have to wade through entirely too much BS to get to the good stuff. This is our reality sadly.

I watch ESPN for KU games, occasional college football games, and the odd baseball game. I'll watch Monday Night Football if the Chiefs are on or if it's some huge game, otherwise I could care less. Some of the most offensive TV segments in HISTORY are the "JACKED UP!" "COME ON MAN!" and Ditka's "STOP IT!" segment (I had to look that one up because I only know about it from a friend describing it."

My biggest gripe with ESPN is that more often than not they don't report news and then add commentary, they report their own take as the news. If they weren't so busy figuring out some new angle to shove Tebow down our throats they could actually be reporting a much wider range of sporting events and gain a more diverse audience.

Demonpenz
that is what made the all-star game laughable OH NO KC LOOKS BAD FOR BOO-ING CANO. Who cares. ESPN's coverage of sports sucks.

sedated

It's society's fault for liking that bull****ingshit. I hate society.

This. It’s the same reason that every movie that comes out is an cheesy remake of a classic, a formulaic romantic comedy, or Michael Bay “explosions are awesome” flick. It’s the same reason Nicki Manaj and Katie Perry dominate radio stations. You can hardly blame the corporations who profit from it without blaming the society that eats it up.

Evolution tells us that humans get smarter with every generation. I leaning more towards an “Idiocracy” future.

Ace Gunner
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM

if you lived a mere 48 hours, you'd be in a hurry also:D

ReynardMuldrake
08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
ESPN is terrible! Worst channel evar!

Google TV doesn't have ESPN you say? Forget it! No deal! I need my ESPN!

Mr. Laz
08-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I just wish somebody would come out with something better.

ESPN is borderline worthless but it's that or nothing.

NFL Network is still 3rd tier

vailpass
08-15-2012, 11:23 AM

X100

Baby Lee
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Tebow just announced he's taking his talent to Chilis for some baby back ribs and a free birthday dessert.

Pestilence
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
The only time I watch Sportscenter anymore is when I'm staying in a hotel and I want something on in the background.

Demonpenz
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Frazod killed it. The decision.

Baby Lee
08-15-2012, 11:39 AM
The only time I watch Sportscenter anymore is when I'm staying in a hotel and I want something on in the background.

To that I'd add, I watch the sidebar for upcoming subjects that look interesting more than the show itself.

saphojunkie
08-15-2012, 11:42 AM

That was actual sports news. It actually affected the sport in a major way, considering the team he went to immediately made it to the Finals. Then won.

This is just fucking pathetic. It has nothing to do with sports. He's a fucking backup quarterback that can't throw a football.

No comparison.

sedated
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I just wish somebody would come out with something better.

ESPN is borderline worthless but it's that or nothing.

NFL Network is still 3rd tier

NBC and CBS both came out with sports networks. Unfortunately, they are buried somewhere between The Knitting Channel and BET3.

Even if they get up and going, they will probably go the way of NFL Network - more flashy names and graphics, less content. NFLN hired away big guns from ESPN so they could be more like ESPN, and I can barely tell tham apart now.

vailpass
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
That was actual sports news. It actually affected the sport in a major way, considering the team he went to immediately made it to the Finals. Then won.

This is just ****ing pathetic. It has nothing to do with sports. He's a ****ing backup quarterback that can't throw a football.

No comparison.

Never go full retard.

BigChiefTablet
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Both ESPN and NFL Network have jumped the fucking shark. There are 32 teams in the league and they only talk about 6 of them other than a passing statement about the score or some shit. And a good 60% of the air time is devoted to Tim Tebow and/or the Jets, which this year is one and the same.

I can't believe a 24 hour network devoted solely to the NFL doesn't have an hour long show devoted to each division. I guess it's a lot easier just to circle jerk to Tim Tebow.

CoMoChief
08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
ESPN is nothing more than Entertainment Tonight.

I mean seriously all the hype/love for a backup gimmick QB ?

redhed
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
"If you call me Chris Everett to my face one more time..."

Flachief58
08-15-2012, 12:15 PM
TEBOW BABY!

stevenidol
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I dropped cable over 2 years ago and I do not miss it at all, especially ESPN. It's the worst kind of entertainment along the line of the E! channel and MTV. Inane, least common denominator television.

Munson
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
The sound of Chris Berman's voice makes me want to club a baby seal.

Plus, his act is old and stale.

Blankey
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
The Wichita Wingnuts independent league baseball team is having Tim Tebow night tonight.
I hate this planet.

Phobia
08-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I turn on ESPN only when there is a football game being broadcast. I recommend that.

Frazod
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Not much love for ESPN.

I guess we're running low on young urbanite morons.

Flachief58
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I turn on ESPN only when there is a football game being broadcast. I recommend that.

Yup, I gave up on ESPN years ago. I luvs me sum intrawebs!

Deberg_1990
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Their 30 for 30 series is great. You can watch them on Netflix. Basically 2 hour documentaries of significant sports events
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
08-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Their 30 for 30 series is great. You can watch them on Netflix. Basically 2 hour documentaries of significant sports events
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. Outside the Lines also kicks ass. Yesterday's edition with Jerry Markbreit representing the NFL officials was very good, very informative. Though I had it on in the background, didn't catch all of it.

KChiefs1
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
ESPN has been blowing Tebow since college.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
NFL Network is almost as bad. When they advertised "Live Training camp coverage of all 32 teams", they should have been honest and said "Live coverage of nobody but Jets, Broncos, and Cowboys"

CoMoChief
08-15-2012, 02:40 PM
(Some) game broadcasts, 30 for 30 and OTL series are the only things worth watching.

qabbaan
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
My favorite is the contrived hip hop background music they play behind the NBA highlights on Sportscenter

CoMoChief
08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
My favorite is the contrived hip hop background music they play behind the NBA highlights on Sportscenter

It'd be funny if they played Billy Rae Cyrus instead.

vailpass
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
NFL Network is almost as bad. When they advertised "Live Training camp coverage of all 32 teams", they should have been honest and said "Live coverage of nobody but Jets, Broncos, and Cowboys"

What's your point?

sedated
08-15-2012, 03:35 PM

IIRC, most of the executives of NFLN were poached from ESPN, with the intention of making it MORE like ESPN.

KCTitus
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
(Some) game broadcasts, 30 for 30 and OTL series are the only things worth watching.

Speaking of 30 for 30...did they only make one of those? The only one I see is about Marcus Dupree. After seeing that one 20 straight times, it's gotten kind of boring. I thought there were others and I wanted to catch few but never seem to find anything but the Marcus Dupree edition.

vailpass
08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Speaking of 30 for 30...did they only make one of those? The only one I see is about Marcus Dupree. After seeing that one 20 straight times, it's gotten kind of boring. I thought there were others and I wanted to catch few but never seem to find anything but the Marcus Dupree edition.

WWGS?

http://30for30.espn.com/

KCTitus
08-15-2012, 03:57 PM
WWGS?

http://30for30.espn.com/

Yeah, but you cant watch them on that site. You have to buy them. My point was on the half dozen ESPN's why dont they replay ones other than the one about Dupree?

vailpass
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but you cant watch them on that site. You have to buy them. My point was on the half dozen ESPN's why dont they replay ones other than the one about Dupree?

My sorries, didn't realize it was the freebies you sought.

ChiefMojo
08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm glad to see that there are many others out there that don't watch ESPN either. It is pure f*cking garbage and has been that way for awhile now.

I only watch ESPN when they have a college or NFL football games on (I don't watch their NFL pre-game) and that is about it period! I only watch the Royals when it comes to baseball, so that means no ESPN... since Baseball Tonight will not talk about them and if they do it is 15 seconds. I'll watch college basketball at times and really only when KU is on.

So that basically pins it down to NFL football game, NCAA football games, College Gameday and KU basketball/possibly at times other college basketball games.... nothing else from ESPN!

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 05:41 PM
TEBOW BABY!

Did that shit really happen? Wow.

I guess I missed "the Decision". Sounds like it was a good thing.

I guess I haven't been watching much ESPN lately.

Someone brought up CBS and NBC had a sports channel. Are they any good?

BigRedChief
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
This is just modern sports coverage. What's popular gets the most coverage. I could give a shit about Teabow. I'd rather them cover how camps are going more in depth, who's the breakout players? Who's looking old?

But, whatever.... It is what it is.

Dylan
08-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Stop it! The New York Giants are rarely ever talked about on ESPN - And they are defending Super Bowl champions.

No change in ESPN's narrative. It's gone on too many years. I know it too well: NFC East has become the Dallas Cowboys' or Philadelphia Eagles' division to claim.

As far as the New York Yankees: They're just good... :evil:

thurman merman
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow.

PunkinDrublic
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
No their low point was hiring Stuart Scott.

JoeyChuckles
08-15-2012, 06:30 PM
It's kinda scary how the ESPN arc and MTV arc are so eerily similar.

Munson
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
ESPN reaches a new low point every day that Chris Berman continues to work there.

Fruit Ninja
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
ESPN reaches a new low point every day that Chris Berman continues to work there.

At least he's been there since day one. This other shit they are doing now, they didnt used to do.

Bearcat
08-15-2012, 07:04 PM
It's a terribly sad reflection of what people want to watch when you can turn on ESPN pretty much any time during the day and catch Skip Bayless or Herm Edwards blathering on about Tim Tebow or some TMZ-like drama, but have to set your DVR for 2:30am to catch Jaws on NFL Matchup.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
This is going to get me flamed I'm sure. OK. I've always tried to avoid that lol.

I'm not big fan of ESPN either... but while much of this board proclaims to hate ESPN and reality tv and shitty pop music and anything lowest common denominator, much of this board thrives on drama, personal attacks, hating on people who get too real or too personal, more drama, banning threads, hating mods (more drama), picking on people they think are stupid... see the Frankie forum... and in general the bigger the fight the better... ie... more drama.

So there's a big difference?

Just something to consider imo.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. I see a different one every time. Fab 5, Magic, Jordan, and many others.

Dylan
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Skip Bayless‏@RealSkipBayless

NYGiants have gone soft. For years nearly every NFL team has slept in dorm beds thru camp. Now their beds are causing back problems? Funny.

Says the guy who has a Tim Tebow fathead above his bed!

Eric Turner‏@Mars23_blackmon

@RealSkipBayless Stfu pussy

LMAO

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Flipped through the channels and now they are saying Manning is making the Broncos defense better. I am going to barf now.

petegz28
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Flipped through the channels and now they are saying Manning is making the Broncos defense better. I am going to barf now.

Reminds me of the game we played in Oakland and Susie Colber was all like "Randy Moss is making the Raiders defense better!"

Nevermind he had like 1 or 2 catches and we won.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Reminds me of the game we played in Oakland and Susie Colber was all like "Randy Moss is making the Raiders defense better!"

Nevermind he had like 1 or 2 catches and we won.

I was going to bring that up. Shannon Sharpe sucked him off like I've never seen before. It was unreal. Chiefs whooped that ass though, so it was pretty funny.

Boy, those Patriot and Packer defenses suuuuure got good facing Rodgers and Brady in practice all time last year.