PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting stuff about how we'll use our safeties this year

SNR
08-15-2012, 03:01 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/Camp-Notebook-Abram-Elam-helps-expand-defensive-options-/a7b9cd0b-1427-433d-b4d8-69ca1c7aae27

Camp Notebook: Abram Elam helps expand defensive options
Posted 18 hours ago

Josh Looney
Chiefs Insider
KCChiefs.com

St. Joseph, Mo. – Abram Elam made a good first impression in the Chiefs preseason opener, but the play of the seventh-year pro could make Kansas City’s defense more dangerous over the long-haul.

The Chiefs aligned in a familiar third-down look when Elam recorded a second quarter interception off Arizona quarterback John Skelton.

Romeo Crennel had six defensive backs in the game for the third-and-long snap, but Eric Berry wasn’t playing safety.

Kansas City’s most versatile defender lined up at linebacker level.

Elam’s veteran presence has allowed the Chiefs to expand Berry’s defensive reach. At linebacker level Berry essentially has a license to create havoc. He can blitz, play the run as an inside-the-box defender or drop into pass coverage.

Berry’s duty on Elam’s interception called for a zone pass drop.

“I was just reading my keys and saw the quarterback scramble while I was playing my deep part of the field,” Elam remembered of the play. “I was able to make a good break on the ball and got some solid blocks from my teammates. I was trying to take it all the way back to the end zone.”

Berry was one of the teammates who threw a block during Elam’s 37-yard interception return. The pick helped setup a field goal drive that gave Kansas City a 17-0 first half lead.

Crennel showed the defensive look several times against Arizona with Berry roving the middle and Elam playing alongside Kendrick Lewis overtop. Jon McGraw, who remains unsigned as an unrestricted free agent, typically played the sub-package look at linebacker level over the past two seasons.

“My role is still a work in progress,” Elam said. “I’ve done a good job working with the guys and coaches have done a good job getting me ready. It really is exciting. I just need to continue to work and continue to improve as the preseason moves forward.”

Elam’s addition currently looks like of the more underrated signings of the Chiefs offseason. A 16-game starter for Dallas last year, Elam has looked comfortable working with Berry and Lewis since arriving in early June.

He can also play both safety positions, which is significant considering the Chiefs saw six different players start at strong or free safety last season.

“I’m just trying to take advantage of my opportunity and fit into whichever role I’m playing at that moment,” Elam said. “Wherever I’m asked to go in, I’m definitely going to go out there and give it my best.”

Jalil Brown has also seen looks as a hybrid sixth defense back in training camp, but he’s currently getting looks as an outside cornerback with Brandon Flowers nursing a foot injury. The six defensive backs on the field for Elam’s interception featured Elam, Berry, Lewis, Brown, Javier Arenas and Stanford Routt.

“Our secondary has a nice nucleolus of guys who are athletic and can play multiple positions,” Elam said. “That will only make our defense more dangerous.”

BossChief was tooting Mark Barron's horn (in a totally non-gay way) prior to the draft, pointing to this very alignment of three safeties that we use. It's awesome that Berry is now going to be fulfilling that role instead of that brokedick McGraw.

The key, of course, is if Elam does his job properly. He was kind of sucking in Dallas. Let's hope he's good so it wasn't a mistake that we didn't go after a true safety in this year's draft.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Cool... nothing wrong with being creative.

Fish
08-15-2012, 03:26 PM
That sounds pretty awesome...

Der Flöprer
08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Fuck yeah. Romeo is getting creative with those guys.

Count Alex's Losses
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
That sounds like Berry is the "The Falcon" of the secondary.

Except that Romeo isn't a dumbass like Gunther.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
:hmmm: Interdasting

Mr. Laz
08-15-2012, 03:45 PM
everyone is fired up about the Patroit Way all of a sudden ... go figure.

i guess Elam is a lock to make the team

SNR
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
everyone is fired up about the Patroit Way all of a sudden ... go figure.

i guess Elam is a lock to make the team
Except when it comes to not being a Jew when it comes to negotiating contracts with your best players, finding the right QB, keeping front office morale high, and not insulting the fans' intelligence. And the last two nobody would give a shit about if they got the first two right.

the Talking Can
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
should have drafted Okung

Mr. Laz
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Except when it comes to not being a Jew when it comes to negotiating contracts with your best players, finding the right QB, keeping front office morale high, and not insulting the fans' intelligence. And the last two nobody would give a shit about if they got the first two right.

selective Patriot Way FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Marcellus
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
That sounds like Berry is the "The Falcon" of the secondary.

Except that Romeo isn't a dumbass like Gunther.

The rotation for your flip flop on Romeo being promoted to HC has already started eh? :hmmm:

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The rotation for your flip flop on Romeo being promoted to HC has already started eh? :hmmm:

His attitude has already shifted a bit since the Zone game. Need to rename him the Yo-Yo.

trndobrd
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
"Jon McGraw, who remains unsigned as an unrestricted free agent"

Is McGraw some sort of volunteer, or just waiting for Pioli to 'fix the glitch' in accounting?

Urc Burry
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see berry get 5 sacks this year

sedated
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
"Jon McGraw, who remains unsigned as an unrestricted free agent"

Is McGraw some sort of volunteer, or just waiting for Pioli to 'fix the glitch' in accounting?

Kramer: What did you want to see me about, Mr. Leland?

Mr. Leland: Kramer, I've been reviewing your work. Quite frankly, it stinks.

Kramer: Well,I've been having trouble at home and, uh, I'll work harder. Nights, weekends, whatever it takes.

Mr. Leland: No, no, I don't think that's going to do it. These reports you handed in, it's almost as if you have no business training at all. I don't know what this is supposed to be.

Kramer: Well, I'm just trying to get ahead.

Mr. Leland: I'm sorry, there's just no way that we can keep you on.

Kramer: But I don't even really work here.

Mr. Leland: That's what makes this so difficult....

mcaj22
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
so it's the same exact way we have used our safeties the last 2 seasons, just replace Jon McGraw and Sabby Pissandshitti with actual athletic talent in Elam and Berry.

Tuckdaddy
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Berry is a straight player. Loves football and can do it all. He's a leader as well and he had better retire a Chief. Guys like him are one every ten years.

TEX
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
so it's the same exact way we have used our safeties the last 2 seasons, just replace Jon McGraw and Sabby Pissandshitti with actual athletic talent in Elam and Berry.

:clap: Yep. Pretty much...

ChiefMojo
08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
mcaj22 your correct. We have been running that type of D already but it goes sorta unnoticed by some here because who was the personnel running it.

SNR
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Berry was never in with the LBs before. I thought it was interesting because they're pretty much going to let him prowl.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I love Eric Berry.

WhiteWhale
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Eric Berry has more uses than a swiss army knife.

The crazy thing about him is when you watch him run with the ball, it's pretty easy to imagine him being an elite running back had his career gone that way in college.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Berry was never in with the LBs before. I thought it was interesting because they're pretty much going to let him prowl.

FWIW,Pioli did say that Berry bulked up a bit during his rehab

Two-Twenty
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
So it's a 3-2-6?

Who are the 2?

xztop12
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Finally. Derrick Johnson freaking sucks in man coverage. Does Elam make the team for sure now?

4-1-6

Sorter
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Jesus Christ. We primarily run 2-3-6 sub package for pass d. Our version has a safety playing next to DJ, instead of another dime back or a LB. 2=Bailey, Poe. 3= Hali, DJ, Houston. 6=Routt, Arenas, Berry, Flowers, Lewis, Elam.
There are occasions in which we run a 2-4-5, where we have Dorsey and Gordon playing the 3tech and also have Belcher on the field. Its not nearly as common as our 2-3-6 with 3 safeties.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I would like to see Berry get to freelance like Polamalu did his first few years.

Sorter
08-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Finally. Derrick Johnson freaking sucks in man coverage.
4-1-6

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m29p30SwxC1qhj4zv.gif

You must be joking...

Fat Elvis
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/Camp-Notebook-Abram-Elam-helps-expand-defensive-options-/a7b9cd0b-1427-433d-b4d8-69ca1c7aae27

BossChief was tooting Mark Barron's horn (in a totally non-gay way) prior to the draft, pointing to this very alignment of three safeties that we use. It's awesome that Berry is now going to be fulfilling that role instead of that brokedick McGraw.

The key, of course, is if Elam does his job properly. He was kind of sucking in Dallas. Let's hope he's good so it wasn't a mistake that we didn't go after a true safety in this year's draft.

BossChief wasn't the only one tooting Barron's horn for this alignment. There were those of us who wanted Barron in the first, and if we didn't get him, then get Brandon Taylor in the third (snagged by the Chargers who jumped ahead of us to get him).

Sorter
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
then get Brandon Taylor in the third (snagged by the Chargers who jumped ahead of us to get him).

Yup.