PDA

View Full Version : Music I banned Taylor Swift today

Pages : [1] 2

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
...OK not ALL Taylor Swift... although I'd like to... but I did ban her new song "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Nashville goes a little more pop every single day and this one is so bubble gum teeny sweet blinding sugar high bullshitfest that I couldn't see adding it to my stations playlist and keeping any semblance of respect from actual country fans. So naturally I did what any decent Program Director would do... tested it in front of a live listening audience.

The results were staggaring. 98% "don't ever play it again," 2% "I like it." The nays win. I posted on the stations facebook today that we appreciate your opinion more than anything and we're listening... Taylors new song will "never ever" be played on this station again. Our facebook has blown up today with responses... positive to about the same percentage and we've gained 52 new "friends" simply for NOT playing a song LOL.

The best thing is that our in market competitor posted that "FTR we are playing Taylors new song because we believe in letting our listeners decide for themselves" and half the posts on their page are in support of us or just generally trashing Taylor and the song. Thanks for the added attention and support cross-town dumbasses. LMAO

I realize not many of you probably care about this but it's made my day. It's the first time in 22 years in radio that I've banned a song. I should do it more often.

*shit thread*
**DJF sucks**
***and not a shit was given***

tl:dr Taylor Swift blows... and not in the good way

vailpass
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Who is Taylor Swift?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Who is Taylor Swift?

I respect you more if you're actually serious.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Way to kill a target market.

Flachief58

Brock
That kind of stuff is why I don't listen to country anymore. A fiddle buried in the mix of a pop song doesn't make it country, people.

chefsos
08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
:clap:

Deberg_1990
heh, i think we have had this discussion before...

If Swift had "happened" back in the 80s' she would be a pop star. Country Music has become a safehaven for pop performers who would not get played anymore because pop music has become so fragemented accross different genres.

Phobia
Who is Taylor Swift?

She's the tall, skinny homely one who sounds like she can't sing without a studio. She did an awards show a couple years back and I couldn't believe she even made it past Randy Jackson.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Way to kill a target market.

I'm not targeting home-schooled 12 year olds. Win.

vailpass
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
She's the tall, skinny homely one who sounds like she can't sing without a studio. She did an awards show a couple years back and I couldn't believe she even made it past Randy Jackson.

Don't think I'll bother to find out what she sings, thanks for saving me the trouble.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
That kind of stuff is why I don't listen to country anymore. A fiddle buried in the mix of a pop song doesn't make it country, people.

There's not even a buried fiddle in this. It's pure pop and pure bubble gum. And debuting at #11 on the country charts next week.

Flachief58
She may not sing for shit, but she sure is easy on the eyes

La literatura
I bet it would be popular if you banned Justin Beiber. He seems to generate a lot of hate.

stonedstooge
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Did you ban Randy Travis last week?

The Rick
Even as a 35-year-old man, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a fan of hers. I heard the new song though and didn't necessarily like it. I can certainly see what you're saying about the pop thing.

In general though, I'm a fan. She's talented, genuine, humble, etc. She's a good role model for my daughters. She's self-made and not some record label creation, and I appreciate that she writes her own music.

All those qualities are pretty rare these days, so she gets a pass in my book.

Phobia
She may not sing for shit, but she sure is easy on the eyes

We'd all be easy on the eyes with an hour in the chair being tended to by pro MUA and hair people.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2012, 06:01 PM

NO worries there, he might lose 1 or 2 listeners....he hasnt had a hit in what, 20 years?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:03 PM

No... but we play so little Randy (in gold rotation only) that it doesn't matter. We also didn't ban Hank Jr for hating Obama or the Chixie Dicks for hating Bush. We banned this one because it was in the stations best interest not to play it. 98% say so.

Valiant
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
...OK not ALL Taylor Swift... although I'd like to... but I did ban her new song "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Nashville goes a little more pop every single day and this one is so bubble gum teeny sweet blinding sugar high bullshitfest that I couldn't see adding it to my stations playlist and keeping any semblance of respect from actual country fans. So naturally I did what any decent Program Director would do... tested it in front of a live listening audience.

The results were staggaring. 98% "don't ever play it again," 2% "I like it." The nays win. I posted on the stations facebook today that we appreciate your opinion more than anything and we're listening... Taylors new song will "never ever" be played on this station again. Our facebook has blown up today with responses... positive to about the same percentage and we've gained 52 new "friends" simply for NOT playing a song LOL.

The best thing is that our in market competitor posted that "FTR we are playing Taylors new song because we believe in letting our listeners decide for themselves" and half the posts on their page are in support of us or just generally trashing Taylor and the song. Thanks for the added attention and support cross-town dumbasses. LMAO

I realize not many of you probably care about this but it's made my day. It's the first time in 22 years in radio that I've banned a song. I should do it more often.

*shit thread*
**DJF sucks**
***and not a shit was given***

tl:dr Taylor Swift blows... and not in the good way

Good, I wish more stations did that shit.. The country stations in KC are not country anymore.. Hell, 94.1 is suppose to be older country but they never play it. Then when they do it is all same shit all the time..

Same with the old rock stations and classic..

I fucking hate pop country.. Give me the 70s to early 90s for country artists.. same with metal and rock.. I also have a soft spot for 80s pop music when it is its own station..

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Even as a 35-year-old man, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a fan of hers. I heard the new song though and didn't necessarily like it. I can certainly see what you're saying about the pop thing.

In general though, I'm a fan. She's talented, genuine, humble, etc. She's a good role model for my daughters. She's self-made and not some record label creation, and I appreciate that she writes her own music.

FTR I like a handful or her songs just fine. Today wasn't about Taylor herself as much as making a point and a stand to satisfy our listenership. I love how it's working.

The Rick
08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
FTR I like a handful or her songs just fine. Today wasn't about Taylor herself as much as making a point and a stand to satisfy our listenership. I love how it's working.
No worries. I only heard it once and was surprised...it's quite a bit different than her past stuff.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't care for her. But like her or not. Girl found her target market and is top producing concert last year and so.far this year.

Girl has it going on.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:10 PM
No worries. I only heard it once and was surprised...it's quite a bit different than her past stuff.

She jumped the shark so to speak. If she wants to give up country for pop then more power to her... I don't care. Just stop pretending everyone is too stupid to know the difference.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 06:10 PM

As.long as you play Jason Kenny Luke or those rascal boys I.am good.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't care for her. But like her or not. Girl found her target market and is top producing concert last year and so.far this year.

Girl has it going on.

Oh yea for sure. I respect her. Shes talented and writes all her stuff.

Its not her fault Nashville has become more Pop than Country.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Girl has it going on.

She's on the verge of setting a new record for downloads for any female artist with this song. We're still not playing it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
As.long as you play Jason Kenny Luke or those rascal boys I.am good.

We do and I'm not proud of any of it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
LMAO

Latest fb post on the competitiors page... "well if this is the shit you're going to play I'm listening to W*** from now on."

No shit....

Valiant

Girl has it going on.

As the population grows, records will keep getting broken... Mainly because all the retards keep having ignorant ass children that smile and use their food stamp money on the first flashy thing they see..

Same with music..

ChiefsCountry
Its a little too poppish of a song IMO for country radio.

patteeu
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
No... but we play so little Randy (in gold rotation only) that it doesn't matter. We also didn't ban Hank Jr for hating Obama or the Chixie Dicks for hating Bush. We banned this one because it was in the stations best interest not to play it. 98% say so.

You're just sore because she dumped Taylor Lautner for good. Who would have guessed you were Team Jacob. :shrug:

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
You're just sore because she dumped Taylor Lautner for good. Who would have guessed you were Team Jacob. :shrug:

LMAO nicely played.

I hope Taylor puts out a song I'm not embarrassed to play and our listeners like next. I'm not holding my breath.

Frazod
08-15-2012, 06:22 PM
In response to this banning, Taylor Swift was quoted as saying "I can't really comment on this, I'm too busy having a new mansion made out of bricks of cash."

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Excellent work sir. Ban all Taylor Swift. That bag hasn't put out a single respectable song yet.

But, like ESPN, fucking assbags eat it up. Fuck society that loves this bullshit.

Demonpenz
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Cause it's in my head

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
We do and I'm not proud of any of it.

Sorry bro.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
In response to this banning, Taylor Swift was quoted as saying "I can't really comment on this, I'm too busy having a new mansion made out of bricks of cash."

I wouldn't expect or even hope for her to care about one little midwestern radio station not playing one of her songs. But if she wants to talk about it she's welcome to come in to the studio.

edit... actually it's 2 stations. I program 2 in Illinois.

patteeu
08-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I think you should focus group all of your songs on ChiefsPlanet. We'll tell you what to ban and what to put into heavy rotation.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 06:28 PM

She is a good role model, but talented she is not. Other than marketing herself.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Excellent work sir. Ban all Taylor Swift. That bag hasn't put out a single respectable song yet.

But, like ESPN, ****ing assbags eat it up. **** society that loves this bullshit.

At this time we aren't banning her as an artist... just this song. Her early stuff like "Teardrops On My Guitar," "Our Song," and "Tim McGraw" are bona-fide hits that appeal to the country audience.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I think you should focus group all of your songs on ChiefsPlanet. We'll tell you what to ban and what to put into heavy rotation.

The Planet has the worst fucking taste of music.

The Rick
08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
She is a good role model, but talented she is not. Other than marketing herself.
I would buy that if she didn't write her own stuff. But she does, and earned $35 million last year (tops in the US) on the back of those songs she wrote.

Frazod
08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The Planet has the worst fucking taste of music.

No shit. They like rap, hip hop and grunge. Fuck.

patteeu
08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
The Planet has the worst ****ing taste of music.

CP's consensus Greatest Country Music Song: Rush's Tom Sawyer!

JD10367
08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
I read "I banged Taylor Swift today" and thought, "Lucky bastard! I'd come here and brag about it, too!"

ChiefMojo
Good for you as she is NOT country!!!! She has a few songs that could fall for country but as a whole she is 100 percent pop!

I really like Carrie Underwood but her new song isn't country either... But admit I do like that song.

Dr. Facebook Fever

Yeah. I program modern country radio even though I'm not a fan of most modern country music. That little point doesn't matter though because I program to the audience and not myself. If I were programming any kind of station based on what I like that station would fail miserably. But if you're a CP member you're not allowed to ever like anything that's ever been on the radio. It's quite funny.

Reerun_KC

Your right other than marketing herself writing all of her own songs, songs for others an choreographing all of her shows she has no talent.

ChiefMojo
08-15-2012, 06:38 PM
She can't sing and don't even argue with me and say she can!!!!

She is very good at marketing herself and writing but again she CAN'T sing!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Good for you as she is NOT country!!!! She has a few songs that could fall for country but as a whole she is 100 percent pop!

I really like Carrie Underwood but her new song isn't country either... But admit I do like that song.

There are about 5 current artists that really do country music these days. If Taylor being a pop artist was the criteria we'd drop 90% of our playlist.

If you like country music then listen to Chris Young, Easton Corbin, Greg Bates, David Nail and some "oldies" like George Strait and Alan Jackson.

Fruit Ninja
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I bet it would be popular if you banned Justin Beiber. He seems to generate a lot of hate.

No idea why he gets hate from guys i really dont. He's living a life that every male would LOVE to life. Young, rich, and have a pick from any chick he wants. I dont know about anyone else, but that was a dream of mine. Still is, except for the young part. haha

ChiefMojo
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Dr. that is who I like in modern country... Even though Alan Jackson/George Strait are traditional ("oldies")country as a whole.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Chris young is.good.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I read "I banged Taylor Swift today" and thought, "Lucky bastard! I'd come here and brag about it, too!"

I would do her... as long as she promised to sing "Tim McGraw" the whole time.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Still a huge Jason aldean and Luke Bryan fan.

morphius
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I once got a survey call about radio stations, within days the radio station in question was my favorite radio station ever! It was great while it lasted, but sadly they learned that I really shouldn't be trusted with my musical opinion.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Dr. that is who I like in modern country... Even though Alan Jackson/George Strait are traditional ("oldies")country as a whole.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you like Taylor that's fine. My station plays all her songs except her new one.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
There are about 5 current artists that really do country music these days. If Taylor being a pop artist was the criteria we'd drop 90% of our playlist.

If you like country music then listen to Chris Young, Easton Corbin, Greg Bates, David Nail and some "oldies" like George Strait and Alan Jackson.

Every decade of country music has had its tradtional artists, more pop sounding, and outlaw country. Country music has been changing from day one and it cracks me up when you here how country has changed to more pop sound when it has always been like that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Still a huge Jason aldean and Luke Bryan fan.

I like one song between the two of them. "Laughed Until We Cried" by Jason Aldean. OK "The Truth" is pretty good too. If you like any country you should post your songs in the country music repository thread. Everything is welcome there.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Country blows.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
I once got a survey call about radio stations, within days the radio station in question was my favorite radio station ever! It was great while it lasted, but sadly they learned that I really shouldn't be trusted with my musical opinion.

Heh yeah. Like in sports there's a saying in radio that the quickest way to death is to listen to the fans. This case is different. There is a real love/hate relationship with Taylor among country fans. Some stations have already banned her altogether. We aren't playing one song. It won't kill us. So far it's now gained us 79 new fb friends today and still going.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Every decade of country music has had its tradtional artists, more pop sounding, and outlaw country. Country music has been changing from day one and it cracks me up when you here how country has changed to more pop sound when it has always been like that.

Very true. Charlie Daniels and Hank Jr. were very rock based in their time.

ChiefMojo
No I hate Taylor Swift!!!! I like real country.

Brock

She is talented, she can write her own songs (supposedly).

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

She does write her own songs and her own guitar parts and plays guitar. She has talent. I'm not denying that. Too bad she alienates a high percentage of fans in the genre she claims as her own.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
No seriously... Country blows.

Detoxing
08-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Haha me too.

That woulda been more interesting.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Supposedly her work ethic is second to none as well. She is just milking this tiny bop thing as long as she can something Hannah Montana should have considered before turning herself into a sad sack Miley Cyrus with political opinions and butched hair going for the Cindi Lauper look.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
She is hot. /thread

Detoxing
08-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Supposedly her work ethic is second to none as well. She is just milking this tiny bop thing as long as she can something Hannah Montana should have considered before turning herself into a sad sack Miley Cyrus with political opinions and butched hair going for the Cindi Lauper look.

Wait, is Hannah Montana the slutty one, or is that Miley Cyrus?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:19 PM
No seriously... Country blows.

Just because you so desperately want someone to pay attention to you.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Wait, is Hannah Montana the slutty one, or is that Miley Cyrus?

I am sure they both more than likely put out. What a change though and I am not even talking about the $$$$ Miley/Hannah Montanna

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Just because you so desperately want someone to pay attention to you.

But seriously, Country blows.

listopencil
08-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Which one?

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Which one?

Blown Away

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
But seriously, real country is so awesome.

There ya go. Attention paid.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Blown Away

Underpants is easy to like. I think she is going to be around for a long time.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
NOTE: Video contains some offensive language. Watch at own risk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buZBbyBwCjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey look the 14 year old is trying to be clever.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uCYrGFqHb2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's sing about cows, beer, and our sisters.

KChiefer
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice. A station here used to do "Hump it or Dump it" to get feedback on what ppl liked.

And if you have to fill that poppier void, go with Jenny Lewis. Love her!

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey look the 14 year old is trying to be clever.

I'd rather be 15 then 51.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
NOTE: Video contains some offensive language. Watch at own risk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buZBbyBwCjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That song makes me want to shoot that dude in the face with a high powered rifle at short range and I even like some rap.

There is a lot of great country music dude, give it a rest.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Underpants is easy to like. I think she is going to be around for a long time.

Underpants is a fantastic talent. Great voice. I hope she stops singing shitty songs.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice. A station here used to do "Hump it or Dump it" to get feedback on what ppl liked.

And if you have to fill that poppier void, go with Jenny Lewis. Love her!

We do the "Miller Lite Good Call." Same thing. It's just an easy way for radio to test new music while making it a feature and making money.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I'd rather be 15 then 51.

But try as you may you will eventually be 51. There's nothing you can do about it. And it'll be here day after tomorrow.

I say this with all due respect because I like you... but it may be time for you to go to another thread.

Simplicity
08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
But try as you may you will eventually be 51. There's nothing you can do about it. And it'll be here day after tomorrow.

I say this with all due respect because I like you... but it may be time for you to go to another thread.

Well I just don't understand the "Kid, 3 year old, etc" shit even makes sense. Everyone (well most people) were 14 and 15 and 16 and 17 and 18 years old once in their lives. How the **** do I have control of when I am/was born.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Well I just don't understand the "Kid, 3 year old, etc" shit even makes sense. Everyone (well most people) were 14 and 15 and 16 and 17 and 18 years old once in their lives. How the **** do I have control of when I am/was born.

You're missing the point. Just go to football practice before everyone decides you're a dumbass because you aren't.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Underpants is a fantastic talent. Great voice. I hope she stops singing shitty songs.

When I frist saw her on American Idol I told lil momma I thought she had the potential to be the top female recording artist of all time. Her song selection continues to deteriorate though. She needs to get a grip on that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
When I frist saw her on American Idol I told lil momma I thought she had the potential to be the top female recording artist of all time. Her song selection continues to deteriorate though. She needs to get a grip on that.

Couldn't agree more. She's been doing crap for the last couple years and getting by on her pure talent and looks. Her new song "Blown Away" I actually like even though it's very pop... but that's country now. Have you heard it?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Carrie Underwood "Blown Away"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJgoHgpsb9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seclark
08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
i remember back in 1973, the local am station banned "dead skunk"
it was a bitch move.
i don't give a fuck about taylor swift though.
sec

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Couldn't agree more. She's been doing crap for the last couple years and getting by on her pure talent and looks. Her new song "Blown Away" I actually like even though it's very pop... but that's country now. Have you heard it?

Yea but I am highly unimpressed based on her first two releases. Was it OK, yea, would I buy it, no. SHe has been an artist I have been impressed with enough in the past that I actually went out and purchased her fird 2 CD's. She needs to get somebody working with her that has a clue when selecting songs.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Yea but I am highly unimpressed based on her first two releases. Was it OK, yea, would I buy it, no. SHe has been an artist I have been impressed with enough in the past that I actually went out and purchased her fird 2 CD's. She needs to get somebody working with her that has a clue when selecting songs.

Again, completely agree. Seems the longer any artist has success the worse they get.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Again, completely agree. Seems the longer any artist has success the worse they get.

She is a different case in that she wasn't discovered after she already had established a bunch of great songs so the first release was a hit then she fades away. I do believe a lot of songs may have been hand picked for her by people in high places due to her big success on American Idol. Whoever she has doing that for her now needs to get the pink slip. If she is doing it herself she needs to pick somebody else. She is going to fade fast if she doesn't do something there.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Another thing I noticed with female artists is once they decide to settle down their carreer seems to settle down with them Faith Hill style. I realize that is a life choice and respect that but they seem to lose focas and I was hoping Unerwear would play the hand she had longer before trying to bag an athlete.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
She has gotten into writing more of her songs, which has taken a turn for the worst IMO as well. The new one though is pretty good lyrically - Blown Away is kind of like Indepedence Day by Martina McBride. We will see where she goes, she has all of the talent in the world though.

ILChief
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
You should switch to 80s hair band music

barry_smilez20
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
You and kcnut should get a panel discussion going on the topic of music snobbery. Y'all are really breaking ground in your views on Pink Floyd and Taylor Swift respectively.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Another thing I noticed with female artists is once they decide to settle down their carreer seems to settle down with them Faith Hill style. I realize that is a life choice and respect that but they seem to lose focas and I was hoping Unerwear would play the hand she had longer before trying to bag an athlete.

Anyone who picks Faith Hill as a mentor should look elsewhere. Faith is completely irrelevant. Her last hit was 6 years ago. She's dead to the world.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
You and kcnut should get a panel discussion going on the topic of music snobbery. Y'all are really breaking ground in your views on Pink Floyd and Taylor Swift respectively.

red lines mean your opinion means as much as a dead rat in the alley.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Anyone who picks Faith Hill as a mentor should look elsewhere. Faith is completely irrelevant. Her last hit was 6 years ago. She's dead to the world.

That wasn't what I was saying at all. I am not sure how you got that from what I posted.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
She has gotten into writing more of her songs, which has taken a turn for the worst IMO as well. The new one though is pretty good lyrically - Blown Away is kind of like Indepedence Day by Martina McBride. We will see where she goes, she has all of the talent in the world though.

Blown Away is rising slowly but steadily on the country charts. It's #19 next week in it's 5th week on the charts.

chasedude
08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
:clap: To the OP.

Come to the Bash, I'll buy you a couple of beers!

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
That wasn't what I was saying at all. I am not sure how you got that from what I posted.

I was only commenting on a part of your post. Agreeing overall. My bad. Carrie was singing crap long before she got married.

Faith and Tim both lost their edge once they got married. Case in point... Tim is trying to resurect his career on Kenny Chesneys back now on their summer tour... and it's working so far. Faith is somewhere out there...

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
:clap: To the OP.

Come to the Bash, I'll buy you a couple of beers!

I doubt I'll make it... but if I do you're on.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I would buy that if she didn't write her own stuff. But she does, and earned $35 million last year (tops in the US) on the back of those songs she wrote.

Your right other than marketing herself writing all of her own songs, songs for others an choreographing all of her shows she has no talent.

She does write her own songs and her own guitar parts and plays guitar. She has talent. I'm not denying that. Too bad she alienates a high percentage of fans in the genre she claims as her own.

All of which she does poorly. Maybe the choreographing and guitar has an argument, but writing and singing is off the table, boys. Have you listened to her songs?

I bet there are 100 people in the state of Kansas that are better singer/songwriter/guitarists in the country genre than she is. And Kansas has shit for musical talent.

She caught a break, marketed herself very well and wipes her ass with more money than I will make this year. But a talented musician she is not.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
All of which she does poorly. Maybe the choreographing and guitar has an argument, but writing and singing is off the table, boys. Have you listened to her songs?

I bet there are 100 people in the state of Kansas that are better singer/songwriter/guitarists in the country genre than she is. And Kansas has shit for musical talent.

She caught a break, marketed herself very well and wipes her ass with more money than I will make this year. But a talented musician she is not.

Hater

Brock
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM

I've listened to her songs, they're typical country songs. Most country artists can't even do that by themselves.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Hater

Realist dude. Her "music" grates my nerves. Can't fucking stand it.

Anyway, sorry I missed your call. I'll give you a shout tomorrow.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:49 PM

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'd still hate fuck her though.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Realist dude. Her "music" grates my nerves. Can't ****ing stand it.

Anyway, sorry I missed your call. I'll give you a shout tomorrow.

Just yanking your chain. I agree. Wife loves it. I can't change it.fast enough.

Buehler445
I've listened to her songs, they're typical country songs. Most country artists can't even do that by themselves.

No. They're pointless runon sentences. Not meaningful music. She's not the only shit ass country musician. I'm not arguing that. But her songs are ass.

Dr. Facebook Fever

Gonna disagree here. Most country artists can actually be who they are without a million studio tricks. Really. Taylor can't.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Girl has bank though. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/08/14/taylor-swift-buys-mansion-near-kennedy-compound-to-be-closer-to-boyfriend/

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Girl has bank though. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/08/14/taylor-swift-buys-mansion-near-kennedy-compound-to-be-closer-to-boyfriend/

Not arguing that either. Like I said, she probably wipes her ass with more than I'll make this year.

Brock
Gonna disagree here. Most country artists can actually be who they are without a million studio tricks. Really. Taylor can't.

Most of them have somebody like FAX write their songs for them, and then tell him they won't record it without stealing a songwriting credit. I don't really care about this one way or the other, but even if every song she writes is a breakup song with high-schoolish lyrics, I'm more impressed by that than I am by a good singer who's singing somebody else's words. If she's still doing that kind of songwriting a few years from now and doesn't grow beyond it, then I'd agree with what you're saying.

ChiefsCountry

She is pretty damn good live.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
No. They're pointless runon sentences. Not meaningful music. She's not the only shit ass country musician. I'm not arguing that. But her songs are ass.

She didn't start by being the crap she is now. You may not like her early stuff but "Teardrops On My Guitar," "Our Song," "Tim Mcgraw" weren't shit for her being the age she was then. "Back To December" is a pretty well written song in her more recent past.

I'm not defending her... just trying to be fair.

Reerun_KC
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Not arguing that either. Like I said, she probably wipes her ass with more than I'll make this year.

You can add our.income in also.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Most of them have somebody like FAX write their songs for them, and then tell him they won't record it without stealing a songwriting credit. I don't really care about this one way or the other, but even if every song she writes is a breakup song with high-schoolish lyrics, I'm more impressed by that than I am by a good singer who's singing somebody else's words. If she's still doing that kind of songwriting a few years from now and doesn't grow beyond it, then I'd agree with what you're saying.

You're absolutely right that many artists have ghost writers but thats true in every genre. Taylor writes her own lyrics... she just still writes like a 16 year old.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
She is pretty damn good live.

I would hope so. Hours and days of practice should help anyone get it all down.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
We're up to 106 new friends on our station fb now just for not playing one song.

Buehler445
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
She didn't start by being the crap she is now. You may not like her early stuff but "Teardrops On My Guitar," "Our Song," "Tim Mcgraw" weren't shit for her being the age she was then. "Back To December" is a pretty well written song in her more recent past.

I'm not defending her... just trying to be fair.

Just because a 16 year old sang it doesn't excuse it for being crap. It is just a lesser degree of crap than some of her other crap. Crap nonetheless.

Look, I don't hate her the human. In my eyes, she is Tebow. Talentless pile of crap that is FUCKING EVERYWHERE because the media/society identifies them as some sort of baseless deity. She's probably a nice person. And I appreciate the fact that she is a good role model for young people. Tebow is too.

But from a performance perspective they are both shit.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Just because a 16 year old sang it doesn't excuse it for being crap. It is just a lesser degree of crap than some of her other crap. Crap nonetheless.

Look, I don't hate her the human. In my eyes, she is Tebow. Talentless pile of crap that is ****ING EVERYWHERE because the media/society identifies them as some sort of baseless deity. She's probably a nice person. And I appreciate the fact that she is a good role model for young people. Tebow is too.

Fair enough. No arguement.

I just hate that her song writting was starting to show some growth with "Back To December" and "Mine" and now she's reverted back to lowest common denominator. I actually think she has more talent than what she's showing.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Look, I don't hate her the human. In my eyes, she is Tebow. Talentless pile of crap that is ****ING EVERYWHERE because the media/society identifies them as some sort of baseless deity. She's probably a nice person. And I appreciate the fact that she is a good role model for young people. Tebow is too.

Has anyone mentioned she can't dance her way out of a wet paper bag yet?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Consider that she was 18 when she wrote this...

Back To December

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MqAkTyprC_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Consider that she was 18 when she wrote this...

Back To December

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MqAkTyprC_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My kid liked Taylor when he was 3 and 4 and is over it by 5. I think that says it all. I don't think she is going to be able to convert out of this tiny bop phase with her level of talent on all levels. She has true work ethic though at least at this point but that is a mighty big hill in front of her.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Honest opinion, what's your thoughts on Will Hoge giving up and selling his songs off? I saw him a few times, once in Memphis and another here in KC and I thought he had good stuff going. Then a year later, I hear pne of his songs covered on the radio by The Eli Young band.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Speaking of new singers, I kind of dig her voice and her body is just rocking.
http://countrysongsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Jana-Kramer-Debut-Album.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Like that song or not it's pretty mature for an 18 year old to say...

This is me swallowing my pride
standing in front of you
saying I'm sorry for that night
and I go back to December all the time
its turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you
wishin I'd realized what I had when you were mine
so I go back to December all the time

OK so maybe it's pretty simplistic still. She still did better than she's doing now.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Honest opinion, what's your thoughts on Will Hoge giving up and selling his songs off? I saw him a few times, once in Memphis and another here in KC and I thought he had good stuff going. Then a year later, I hear pne of his songs covered on the radio by The Eli Young band.

He realized he isn't marketable enough as an artist so he decided on the next step... songwritting. I'd love to be a hit songpwriter. Will has a lot going for him.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
http://countrysongsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Jana-Kramer-Debut-Album.jpg

Haven't heard her. Thanks for the tip.

-King-
08-15-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.dctobc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kanye-west-500x375.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Well she is an actress too. Check out One Tree Hill and Entourage. She's a pretty girl. Her debut single "Why Ya Wanna" is pretty much crap.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Haven't heard her. Thanks for the tip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho5HV_9_o_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Like that song or not it's pretty mature for an 18 year old to say...

This is me swallowing my pride
standing in front of you
saying I'm sorry for that night
and I go back to December all the time
its turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you
wishin I'd realized what I had when you were mine
so I go back to December all the time

OK so maybe it's pretty simplistic still. She still did better than she's doing now.

Taylor has a lot going for her. She understands marketing. She understands her market and is trying to max it out. I think she is a mediocre songwriter but is doing it. She has an extreme work ethic. My guess is if you met her she would be as sharp as a razors edge. With all that going for her you can never count her out. My guess she will always be putting it out there with some level of success but it will never be close to what she has experienced so far based upon all the weaknesses we have reflected on.

Wait a second, why are you pimping her Mr. 200 new friends?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
IMO Jana Kramer is a perfect example of pretty girl meets right label. Her debut single is nothing special at all. It's a top 10 hit right now tho. Thank you label marketing machine.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
He realized he isn't marketable enough as an artist so he decided on the next step... songwritting. I'd love to be a hit songpwriter. Will has a lot going for him.

That's a shame. IMO he put on a hell of a show both times I saw him. Played the crowd really well. Obviously he can write.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:47 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho5HV_9_o_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yea, she is a looker. She has that basic fundamental country sound. I would love to see her vocals challenged a little more. Great video though.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 10:48 PM
IMO Jana Kramer is a perfect example of pretty girl meets right label. Her debut single is nothing special at all. It's a top 10 hit right now tho. Thank you label marketing machine.

I like her voice, its an older country sounding voice IMO.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Taylor has a lot going for her. She understands marketing. She understands her market and is trying to max it out. I think she is a mediocre songwriter but is doing it. She has an extreme work ethic. My guess is if you met her she would be as sharp as a razors edge. With all that going for her you can never count her out. My guess she will always be putting it out there with some level of success but it will never be close to what she has experienced so far based upon all the weaknesses we have reflected on.

Wait a second, why are you pimping her Mr. 200 new friends?

I actually think Taylor has talent. I don't think she's being lead by the best people. She writes and sings and gets told she's the best by her handlers. I'd like to see her do some real meaningful music and have success with it. I'd like to see her blossom into a worthy star because I think she does have the talent to do that... with the right help.

This thread wasn't about her failures as much as about Nashvilles failures.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 10:51 PM
That's a shame. IMO he put on a hell of a show both times I saw him. Played the crowd really well. Obviously he can write.

This is no offense to him. Some people are meant for the stage and some are meant to be songwritters. I'd love to be a song writter.

edit... being a country star these days is about sex appeal, stage presence, ability to play and sing, deliver the song... of those who have that about 5% make it. It doesn't make the remaining 95% bad... just not as lucky.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
I actually think Taylor has talent. I don't think she's being lead by the best people. She writes and sings and gets told she's the best by her handlers. I'd like to see her do some real meaningful music and have success with it. I'd like to see her blossom into a worthy star because I think she does have the talent to do that... with the right help.

This thread wasn't about her failures as much as about Nashvilles failures.

Funny, I thought it was about you having a bunch of new friends LMAO

SPchief
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
This is no offense to him. Some people are meant for the stage and some are meant to be songwritters. I'd love to be a song writter.

edit... being a country star these days is about sex appeal, stage presence, ability to play and sing, deliver the song... of those who have that about 5% make it. It doesn't make the remaining 95% bad... just not as lucky.

And money backing you. Hoge had some money backing him 2 years ago and he didn't catch on. I was just wondering your opinion on him. Primarily because I saw him before he hit the "map" and I'm assuming you knew it.(I could be wrong) I'm glad he's making money off songwriting he really can put on a show.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Funny, I thought it was about you having a bunch of new friends LMAO

Yeah a thread about a country singer will gain me a lot of new friends. I'm not going to apologize for trying to be friends with people I talk to on-line, including you.

Yeah I've posted some threads that a lot of people think are stupid. So be it. It doesn't bother me. For every nasty comment I've gotten there's been a new rep or pm from someome who's into it.

Mostly I find that if if you reach out to people, people respond. Those that don't and those who make fun of me don't matter.

You and I used to have a problem BD. Now here we are talking. All I'm sayin.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry to derail the thread. Oh and Taylor is awful these days. IMO

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 11:14 PM
For anyone who hates country tell me you hate this. Still gives me the tingles. I just hope Carrie can somehow return to making music like this. BTW if anyone can get this to post directly I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxlTqPFpOYI

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
And money backing you. Hoge had some money backing him 2 years ago and he didn't catch on. I was just wondering your opinion on him. Primarily because I saw him before he hit the "map" and I'm assuming you knew it.(I could be wrong) I'm glad he's making money off songwriting he really can put on a show.

So many people have money backing them then never end up stars. LoCash Cowboys for example. They wrote "You Gonna Fly" that went to #1 for Keith Urban this year. They wrote "Truck Yeah" for Tim McGraw that is #13 right now. They have good songs on their own, especially "Keep In Mind" that was a minor hit last year. People love them but it's all about timing and having the right team behind you.

Preston and Chris of LoCash Cowboys are frineds of mine. But I don't think they're ever going to make it big as recording artists.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
So many people have money backing them then never end up stars. LoCash Cowboys for example. They wrote "You Gonna Fly" that went to #1 for Keith Urban this year. They wrote "Truck Yeah" for Tim McGraw that is #13 right now. They have good songs on their own, especially "Keep In Mind" that was a minor hit last year. People love them but it's all about timing and having the right team behind you.

Preston and Chris of LoCash Cowboys are frineds of mine. But I don't think they're ever going to make it big as recording artists.

Before they have became "bigger" LoCash used to play the bars here at the Lake all the time.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
My good friends LoCash Cowboys. Chris is the singer. Preston at the Piano. Preston and by best friend dated for a year. They're super good dudes. We hang out from time to time. I don't think they're ever going to be big stars but they have 2 #1 songs to their credit now. Go LoCash.

You might have heard this on your radio last year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_GhhtLrXTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Before they have became "bigger" LoCash used to play the bars here at the Lake all the time.

They're still stuggling to make it. Preston and Chris write all the time and have Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, Josh Turner and George Strait on their speed dial now.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 11:34 PM
My good friends LoCash Cowboys. Chris is the singer. Preston at the Piano. Preston and by best friend dated for a year. They're super good dudes. We hang out from time to time. I don't think they're ever going to be big stars but they have 2 #1 songs to their credit now. Go LoCash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_GhhtLrXTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good song. Assuming Rascall Flatts don't pay for it. (Keep derailing this thread)

I've heard of them before.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
BTW, you just know Dane is chomping at the bit at this thread.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Good song. Assuming Rascall Flatts don't pay for it. (Keep derailing this thread)

I've heard of them before.

Preston and Chris work really hard and deserve to make it imo. But they're on a small label right now so that doesn't get them far. My best friend Kayla... also my co-host... dated Preston right up until the time they made that video. She was originally going to be one of the pictures in it but they broke up. We all still talk and they invite us to shows but she isn't comfortable with it now so we pass. I've got her back because she's my best friend. I miss them though. So does she. Things pass.

Sorter
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
As a T-Swift nuthugger, I'll admit that the song you banned was shit. I heard it for the first time today and was pissed. So, thanks manu.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 11:43 PM
For anyone who hates country tell me you hate this. Still gives me the tingles. I just hope Carrie can somehow return to making music like this. BTW if anyone can get this to post directly I would greatly appreciate it.

OK, maybe it's just me but that was one of the greatest country music performances I have ever heard. Taylor will never come within light years of something like that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
OK, maybe it's just me but that was one of the greatest country music performances I have ever heard. Taylor will never come within light years of something like that.

Good song and good performance. All win.

SPchief
08-15-2012, 11:48 PM

That is one of the greatest country music performances you've ever heard?

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah a thread about a country singer will gain me a lot of new friends. I'm not going to apologize for trying to be friends with people I talk to on-line, including you.

Yeah I've posted some threads that a lot of people think are stupid. So be it. It doesn't bother me. For every nasty comment I've gotten there's been a new rep or pm from someome who's into it.

Mostly I find that if if you reach out to people, people respond. Those that don't and those who make fun of me don't matter.

You and I used to have a problem BD. Now here we are talking. All I'm sayin.

For the record dude, I never disliked you at all I was just beating baby seal for my own morbid amusement. We all grow and learn from our experience and if I ever get a chance to sit down with you and share a beer I would be honored to do so.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2012, 11:56 PM
That is one of the greatest country music performances you've ever heard?

I think there is an echo in here. Very few songs hit you at your soul level and that is one that does it for me. She is smoking hot, great vocals, meaningful song. Just an awesone live performance. I would love to have a HD copy of that on My Ipad to play on my apple tv.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2012, 11:57 PM
For the record dude, I never disliked you at all I was just beating baby seal for my own morbid amusement. We all grow and learn from our experience and if I ever get a chance to sit down with you and share a beer I would be honored to do so.

You're a legend here BD. The girlie thread alone makes you that. We've had our differences but I thank you for that olive branch. I'd much rather get along with people than fight with them.

I hope I can buy you a beer in person some day. No hard feelings over past issues.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2012, 12:07 AM
You're a legend here BD. The girlie thread alone makes you that. We've had our differences but I thank you for that olive branch. I'd much rather get along with people than fight with them.

I hope I can buy you a beer in person some day. No hard feelings over past issues.

I don't know about all that legend stuff but it's good to see you happy and in the right space now. If you ever figure out how to get me a good HD feed of that video I posted let me know, that would be cool.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't know about all that legend stuff but it's good to see you happy and in the right space now. If you ever figure out how to get me a good HD feed of that video I posted let me know, that would be cool.

When I joined CP I was a dumbass as most n00bs are and didn't get how the place ran. I'm well beyond that now.

I probably can't get you and HD feed being on a dumbass work loaner computer. But if and when I upgrade I'll let ya know.

Nzoner
08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
As the population grows, records will keep getting broken... Mainly because all the retards keep having ignorant ass children that smile and use their food stamp money on the first flashy thing they see..

Same with music..

You sir nailed that one on the head,awesome post.

Nzoner
08-16-2012, 05:20 AM

Easy now don't lump all of us together,some of us still drive from St Joe to Chicago to see the greatness of a Porcupine Tree which no mainstream radio station will touch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QCTeDAh1_Pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BCD
08-16-2012, 05:27 AM
In response to this banning, Taylor Swift was quoted as saying "I can't really comment on this, I'm too busy having a new mansion made out of bricks of cash."LOL

bevischief
08-16-2012, 05:54 AM
It's the 2nd song about her ex.

MahiMike
08-16-2012, 06:20 AM
This country could use 100 Taylor Swifts. Naysayers be damned!

oldman
08-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Taylor Swift is talented and I generally like her music. But if her new song is crap, don't play it and stand by your decision. As a program director, you have the responsibility to program to your audience, not to whatever dreck Nashville or an artist puts out. From what you've said, your audience agress. If they want to hear it, it's available on itunes.
Too many times big music pushes talentless pretty boys/girls down our throats and that limits the amount of airtime available for those with talent. I applaud your action.
Now, play us some Ronnie Dunn or AJ.

eazyb81
08-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Weren't these guys on the Man vs. Food show in Nashville?

The Rick
08-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Another thing I'll say about Taylor Swift...she has "moxie".

Here she is, on stage at an awards show, 16-years-old, singing her song called "Tim McGraw", with Tim McGraw sitting in the front row.

Skip to 1:25...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SSKFNd2gwR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JD10367
08-16-2012, 07:26 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gcMn_Eu-XTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't get the hoopla. Yes, it's got the musical construction of a Twinkie. Yes, the lyrics could've been written by a chimp on Ridalin. Yes, the chord progression makes the five notes in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sound like Beethoven. But, yes, it's also no different from the 5,000 pop songs that have been written in the past 30 years. I can turn on the "Today's Music" channel on my local radio and hear songs as equally shallow in both music and lyrics. It's her target audience, fer crissakes. I'm not expecting her to sound like Metallica reborn, or the second coming of the Brian Setzer Orchestra, or anything but what she is: a pop-music teen-star with a bit of a country edge.

Infidel Goat
08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
We are never ever ever ever going to listen to your station again...

MoreLemonPledge
08-16-2012, 07:48 AM
That song was fucking terrible.

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.dctobc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kanye-west-500x375.jpg

As much as I hate Taylor Swift the musician, Kanye West is a douchenozzle.

Carrie Underwood has real talent. Unfortunately she has started putting out popped up garbage too. I hate that real talent gets lost in this shit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gcMn_Eu-XTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't get the hoopla. Yes, it's got the musical construction of a Twinkie. Yes, the lyrics could've been written by a chimp on Ridalin. Yes, the chord progression makes the five notes in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sound like Beethoven. But, yes, it's also no different from the 5,000 pop songs that have been written in the past 30 years. I can turn on the "Today's Music" channel on my local radio and hear songs as equally shallow in both music and lyrics. It's her target audience, fer crissakes. I'm not expecting her to sound like Metallica reborn, or the second coming of the Brian Setzer Orchestra, or anything but what she is: a pop-music teen-star with a bit of a country edge.

I'm not arguing that she is getting phat paid making shit ass music. I'm arguing that she doesn't have real talent. I have been from the beginning.

Nzoner
08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
In all honesty I don't think I've ever heard a Taylor Swift song,well I may recognize a song just wouldn't know it's her from Carrie Underwood.

suds79
08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
In all honesty I don't think I've ever heard a Taylor Swift song,well I may recognize a song just wouldn't know it's her from Carrie Underwood.

You're not missing much. Vastly overrated.

Songs are okay. Nothing great. Not bad.

People thing she's way hotter than she really is. Looks like a blonde Olive Oil.

Frosty
08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't get the appeal of Carrie Underwood at all, other than eye candy. Give me Miranda Lambert over that manufactured pop/country act any time.

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't get the appeal of Carrie Underwood at all, other than eye candy. Give me Miranda Lambert over that manufactured pop/country act any time.

I'm not really a fan of either one of those singers on the whole, but I can acknowledge that even though Underwood puts out popped up crap a lot, she does have talent.

Frosty
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not really a fan of either one of those singers on the whole, but I can acknowledge that even though Underwood puts out popped up crap a lot, she does have talent.

I'm really not a fan of her style of singing, whether she's good at it or not (didn't care for Martina McBride, either, for her similar style). I much prefer a more straight-forward style of singing, without the histrionics. JMO.

vailpass
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM

I tried. Got through about a minute or so. Nice voice. I just cant get into the twangy music and have never been a big fan of tear in my beer music.

Lumpy
08-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Did anyone else read the title wrong and thought it said, "I banged Taylor Swift today"? I was about to tell Fever he was full of shit. LMAO

I should probably get into the eye doc.

Sorry if repost.

Carry on.

Frosty
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Did anyone else read the title wrong and thought it said, "I banged Taylor Swift today"? I was about to tell Fever he was full of shit. LMAO

Sorry if repost.

Carry on.

Only that perv JD. That should probably worry you a little. :p

Lumpy
08-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Only that perv JD. That should probably worry you a little. :p

I just skimmed the thread and found his post. I'm a bit worried now. LMAO

"Bob" Dobbs
08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Didnt read the whole thread but the latest Carrie Underwood single is just as bad. I'm on that one but doubt I'll add Taylor Swift. Hell. TS is mainly a Hot AC artist anymore anyway
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
08-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Sorry if repost.

Carry on.

There was a thread in DC yesterday called "America's Aversion to Taxes" and I misread it as "America's Aversion to Texas." Seemed like a strange thread to be in DC. Perhaps I'm becoming dyslexic in my old age.

However, Texas does suck. Not quite as bad as taxes, but it's close.

oldman
08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry to disagree, but she does have talent. Her music, mostly written by her (which is a rarity in Nashville) is well written, well compsosed, and well performed. I saw her mesmerize an audience of well over 10,000 at age 17. However, if she's going to put out crap, don't pay her. Send a message with your buck. She's much better than that. Artisits tend to get a little lazy at times, so this could just be a reality check for her.
Oh, and Carrie Underwood is a hack. She's just pretty.

chefsos
08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't get the appeal of Carrie Underwood at all, other than eye candy. Give me Miranda Lambert over that manufactured pop/country act any time.I don't get into the "My favorite blonde chick's better than yours" squawking that takes place in some country circles. They all have something, or they wouldn't be where they are. Having said that, I agree that Miranda's pretty damn awesome, because she's authentic IMO. I am definitely a fan.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry to disagree, but she does have talent. Her music, mostly written by her (which is a rarity in Nashville) is well written, well compsosed, and well performed. I saw her mesmerize an audience of well over 10,000 at age 17. However, if she's going to put out crap, don't pay her. Send a message with your buck. She's much better than that. Artisits tend to get a little lazy at times, so this could just be a reality check for her.

Somebody needs attention.

Frosty
08-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't get into the "My favorite blonde chick's better than yours" squawking that takes place in some country circles.

I really didn't mean it that way, though I can see how it would be taken that way. I am way past the "if people don't like what I like, they know nothing about music" high school bullshit. If Carrie Underwood speaks to your soul, more power to you. I was just saying I don't get it personally. Other than looks, she isn't my cup of tea.

I respect Taylor Swift because she can play and writes her own songs, but I don't like her music.

They all have something, or they wouldn't be where they are.

Well, there's no accounting for some people's taste. :evil:

Having said that, I agree that Miranda's pretty damn awesome, because she's authentic IMO. I am definitely a fan.

Exactly.

I have to admit that her voice doesn't always fit her slow songs. I also am having to get used to newest CD. I hope her marriage to Blake Shelton doesn't change her style too much.

chefsos
08-16-2012, 06:41 PM
I really didn't mean it that way, though I can see how it would be taken that way.Nah man, I wasn't referring to you. All good. :thumb:

EDIT: As to the rest of your post- Yeah, about the album: I'm pretty sure Fever's never, ever gonna play "Fine Tune" on country radio. I keep forgetting to joke with him about that. And Shelton's kind of an asshole sometimes, so she'll get some song ideas from dealing with that dude...

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Weren't these guys on the Man vs. Food show in Nashville?

Yes

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Exactly. The sad thing is this is what country is becoming. This particular song struck me as the one that finally went too far I guess. I was uncomfortable with adding it to our playlist before the first chorus. I could just see the hate e-mails and phone calls coming in because by and large... whether Nashville recognizes it or not... most country fans are getting real tired of pop being called country.

So I tested it and I was glad to have my faith in the listening audience restored and damn glad to carry out their wishes.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Didnt read the whole thread but the latest Carrie Underwood single is just as bad. I'm on that one but doubt I'll add Taylor Swift. Hell. TS is mainly a Hot AC artist anymore anyway
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you follow mediabase? As of yesterday TS was debuting at #11 on the building chart. I'll be real interested to see what overall fan reaction is now that most stations have added it and see if the high debut translates to being an actual hit or stations find people don't want it and it drops as fast as it rose.

Another case of "Feel Like A Rock Star" by Kenny and Tim. All we heard was it may debut at #1 and it topped at 11 and only spend about a month on the charts. The pre-hype died quickly once people discovered it sucked and two of the big names in the business didn't matter more than the quality of the song.

That kind of stuff doesn't happen a lot but when it does it helps renew my faith that the audience isn't always ready to just lap up anything because it's what they're given.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Sorry if repost.

Carry on.

So you don't think I could pull Tswizzle?

Why do you hate me?

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry to disagree, but she does have talent. Her music, mostly written by her (which is a rarity in Nashville) is well written, well compsosed, and well performed.

Yeah. I can't get onboard with any of this. Her music is simplistic, so it isn't technically performed poorly, but that doesn't mean it is a benefit.

Well written? What is this? I can't even...Have you listened to the words she sings?

Well composed? Well, I guess. For over simplified 5 chords. Whatever.

Just because she wrote it does NOT mean that it is good.

I saw her mesmerize an audience of well over 10,000 at age 17.

So what? There are loads of 10,000 person audiences that like bullshitass music. See Justin Bieber. Don't tell me you think he puts out good music.

However, if she's going to put out crap, don't pay her. Send a message with your buck. She's much better than that. Artisits tend to get a little lazy at times, so this could just be a reality check for her.

Oh I'm not not for this or any other song she pukes out.

Like I said before, she puts out a load of shit too, but she actually has talent.

Lumpy
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
So you don't think I could pull Tswizzle?

:hmmm: Perhaps.

"Tswizzle"? What up, homie?! LMAO

Why do you hate me?

I'm jealous of your "New Kids On The Block" collection.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
"Tswizzle"?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CngyYoRkdHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lumpy
08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Ghey.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Ghey.

Oh lighten up Francis, it's funny.

It was the opening of an awards show a few years ago.

Lumpy
08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Oh lighten up Francis, it's funny.

It was the opening of an awards show a few years ago.

Truth be told... I didn't even click, "play". I just figured it was gonna be ghey. LMAO

dmahurin
08-17-2012, 05:15 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CngyYoRkdHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v8e6-IeQ0aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Natalie portman FTW

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Truth be told... I didn't even click, "play". I just figured it was gonna be ghey. LMAO

:facepalm:

Yep, you really do hate me. It''s actually pretty funny and well done imo. But just like I banned Taylors song YOU ARE NOW BANNED FROM WATCHING THAT VIDEO!

Rausch
08-17-2012, 08:48 AM
If you're the person responsible for content you should be the one responsible for content.

If you take a risk and it works you should be praised. Hell, I'm just amazed there's a station out there that still has live DJ's and any input into the programming...

Lumpy
08-17-2012, 08:56 AM
:facepalm:

Yep, you really do hate me. It''s actually pretty funny and well done imo. But just like I banned Taylors song YOU ARE NOW BANNED FROM WATCHING THAT VIDEO!

Damn. I really wanted to watch that video, too. Life just isn't fair. :sulk:

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Damn. I really wanted to watch that video, too. Life just isn't fair. :sulk:

LMAO

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
If you're the person responsible for content you should be the one responsible for content.

If you take a risk and it works you should be praised. Hell, I'm just amazed there's a station out there that still has live DJ's and any input into the programming...

I am... x2?

We have 8 live jocks actually... even on weekends. We're the exception the the rule anymore and pretty proud of that. Even have a live afternoon team as well as morning team. Go us!

YourMom
08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
The only thing more gay than liking Taylor Swift's music is being willing to admit that you like Taylor Swift's music.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I am... x2?

We have 8 live jocks actually... even on weekends. We're the exception the the rule anymore and pretty proud of that. Even have a live afternoon team as well as morning team. Go us!

That is pretty impressive actually. Hell with today's technology most everything can be outsourced in the radio world and sound local.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-17-2012, 09:43 AM
That is pretty impressive actually. Hell with today's technology most everything can be outsourced in the radio world and sound local.

We have all the tchnology to do it and do run "voice-tracked" some but we're fortunate enough to have a great team, great GM who believes in real radio, a great owner who isn't a tight ass and of course we make money by selling plenty of advertising... otherwise it wouldn't happen. I wish MY pay was more but I realize I'm pretty blessed.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
We have all the tchnology to do it and do run "voice-tracked" some but we're fortunate enough to have a great team, great GM who believes in real radio, a great owner who isn't a tight ass and of course we make money by selling plenty of advertising... otherwise it wouldn't happen. I wish MY pay was more but I realize I'm pretty blessed.

Good to hear! :thumb:

Deberg_1990
10-23-2012, 08:47 AM

So I heard some new song from her today…not sure if it was this one or not, but whatever…..this stuff is not country. Its just not. Props to you for taking a stand and refusing to play it. Shes not a country artist anymore.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
So I heard some new song from her today…not sure if it was this one or not, but whatever…..this stuff is not country. Its just not. Props to you for taking a stand and refusing to play it. Shes not a country artist anymore.

Well thanks... and not defending her but most country artists aren't "country" these days... at least not in the way tradition means. It's kind of a mixed bag of southern rock styled artists with pop artists with a few actual country sounding artists mixed in.

Before you give me too much credit though I added her new song "Begin Again" two weeks ago. It's poppy but actually does have steel guitar in it and not nearly the annoyance factor of "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Don't know which you might have heard. Slowish or fast? Might have been the title track to her new album "Red" which is at pop radio now and featured on a tv commercial.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Well thanks... and not defending her but most country artists aren't "country" these days... at least not in the way tradition means. It's kind of a mixed bag of southern rock styled artists with pop artists with a few actual country sounding artists mixed in.

Before you give me too much credit though I added her new song "Begin Again" two weeks ago. It's poppy but actually does have steel guitar in it and not nearly the annoyance factor of "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Don't know which you might have heard. Slowish or fast? Might have been the title track to her new album "Red" which is at pop radio now and featured on a tv commercial.

I understand that Nashville is trying to broaden their audience by going more "Pop" over the past decade or so....i get it. But at what point do they risk alienating their traditional country listeners? Or maybe they dont care, because they dont buy as much music?

The Rick
10-23-2012, 10:24 AM
A great summation of today's Taylor Swift on Grantland today:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8538831/taylor-swift-officially-assumes-pop-center-new-album-red

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I understand that Nashville is trying to broaden their audience by going more "Pop" over the past decade or so....i get it. But at what point do they risk alienating their traditional country listeners? Or maybe they dont care, because they dont buy as much music?

They've alienated a great deal of them already and no they don't seem to care because money rolls in from young people and digital downloads and yadda yadda. There does seem to be an uprising taking place though among fans of more tradition and I'll all for it.

ChiefsCountry
10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
They've alienated a great deal of them already and no they don't seem to care because money rolls in from young people and digital downloads and yadda yadda. There does seem to be an uprising taking place though among fans of more tradition and I'll all for it.

And country music still is demo of choice for the money demographic (25-54).

Frosty
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM

In the '70's, Country was extremely poppy (think Kenny and Dolly's "Islands In the Stream") and the backlash to that created the New Traditionalist movement in the '80's that went back to Country's roots. I expect something similar will happen again.

Buehler445
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm already there. There are 2 country stations and I just flat don't listen to one of them except when a Chiefs game is on. The other one, I only listen to one show, and even them, he plays half crap, but he will put some good stuff on.

I had quit on country alltogether for the most part, until DJF started the country music thread, and prompted me to start a few different pandora stations and get back into decent country music.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
And country music still is demo of choice for the money demographic (25-54).

Yes. And since pop has also alienated core people of the 80's and 90's who would still listen today because they aren't "country" fans.... by becoming too rap/hip hop for those tastes... country is now the new pop for them because it's more like what they listened to in "their" decades.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
In the '70's, Country was extremely poppy (think Kenny and Dolly's "Islands In the Stream") and the backlash to that created the New Traditionalist movement in the '80's that went back to Country's roots. I expect something similar will happen again.

That's an excellent point and I hope to see that movement really take hold. There are a lot of grumblings going on already... have been for a while. This certainly isn't the first time country has gone pop, not even close. Your Kenny & Dolly is a great example of that. It'll be interesting to see where the genre goes from here. Watch any country awards show these days... it looks and acts like the MTV video music awards.

Frosty
10-23-2012, 11:33 AM
My wife won a trip to Vegas to go to the CMA Awards show a few years back. We weren't that interested in the show but kind of had to go. It was pretty eye-opening. The only act that performed that I actually liked was Miranda Lambert, though she did a slow song from her second album. Mylie Cyrus performed and was absolutely awful.

We watched the actual show when we got back to compare and it's pretty amazing what they can do with trick camera angles. It isn't nearly as glitzy as it is portrayed on TV.

Later that night, we got to go to a concert that was basically a string of artists doing a couple of songs each. The high point for my wife was seeing The Oak Ridge Boys, since she grew up listening to them (her dad is a big fan). The low point was John Rich (from Big and Rich) emceeing the show. He was obviously wasted and got more and more embarrassing to listen to as the night went on.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 11:40 AM
My wife won a trip to Vegas to go to the CMA Awards show a few years back. We weren't that interested in the show but kind of had to go. It was pretty eye-opening. The only act that performed that I actually liked was Miranda Lambert, though she did a slow song from her second album. Mylie Cyrus performed and was absolutely awful.

We watched the actual show when we got back to compare and it's pretty amazing what they can do with trick camera angles. It isn't nearly as glitzy as it is portrayed on TV.

Later that night, we got to go to a concert that was basically a string of artists doing a couple of songs each. The high point for my wife was seeing The Oak Ridge Boys, since she grew up listening to them (her dad is a big fan). The low point was John Rich (from Big and Rich) emceeing the show. He was obviously wasted and got more and more embarrassing to listen to as the night went on.

You said Oak Ridge Boys. My all time favorite act... Gods to me. I wanted to be an ORB when I was a kid. Hell I think I still do lol. I have almost everything they've ever done. Card carrying member of the fan club and yes..... I know that's dorky and I don't care one bit haha.

Frosty
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
You said Oak Ridge Boys. My all time favorite act... Gods to me. I wanted to be an ORB when I was a kid. Hell I think I still do lol. I have almost everything they've ever done. Card carrying member of the fan club and yes..... I know that's dorky and I don't care one bit haha.

They did all of three songs (one of them being "Elvira", of course) but it was still cool.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
They did all of three songs (one of them being "Elvira", of course) but it was still cool.

Elvira is probably my least favorite song of there's too heh. If I never heard it again it would be just fine, but yes of course they're going to do that one.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Yes. And since pop has also alienated core people of the 80's and 90's who would still listen today because they aren't "country" fans.... by becoming too rap/hip hop for those tastes... country is now the new pop for them because it's more like what they listened to in "their" decades.

yea, thats exactly what has happened.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 12:16 PM
A great summation of today's Taylor Swift on Grantland today:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8538831/taylor-swift-officially-assumes-pop-center-new-album-red

Interesting article... thanks.

Frosty
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Interesting article... thanks.

Swift is definitely following the path Shania Twain took - start in country, transition to pop diva, rake in millions.

Reerun_KC
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
going to see George Strait and Martina McBride in OKC in Jan or Feb.... Ordering tickets when they go on sale.

Also going to Tulsa to see Rascal Flatts and The Band Perry in Feb as well.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
going to see George Strait and Martina McBride in OKC in Jan or Feb.... Ordering tickets when they go on sale.

King George's Farewell tour. I'd love to see that. Enjoy.

Buehler445
10-23-2012, 12:50 PM

You'd have to pay my ass a tidy sum to go see Rascal Flatts.

Buehler445
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM

That, I would love to see. George is the man.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 12:53 PM
That, I would love to see. George is the man.

Thankfully he's going to keep recording but no more touring after this final one. Of course it'll last like 2 years heh.

I'm with you on Rascal Flatts too heh (again).

Deberg_1990
10-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Thankfully he's going to keep recording but no more touring after this final one. Of course it'll last like 2 years heh.

I'm with you on Rascal Flatts too heh (again).

Whats up with Garth Brooks? Hes officially retired?

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Whats up with Garth Brooks? Hes officially retired?

He's had a show in Vegas for the last couple years staying in one place to make it easier to be a "family man." Funny you ask because there's a rumour today that another tour could be coming. Personally I can't stand the guy other than a handful of early songs. He can stay in Vegas imo.

Reerun_KC
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
You'd have to pay my ass a tidy sum to go see Rascal Flatts.

Thats what I thought until my wife dragged me the first time to see them...

Reerun_KC
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Looking forward to it... Should be a great show.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Thats what I thought until my wife dragged me the first time to see them...

Almost everyone is better live, I'll give you that.

Frosty
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Personally I can't stand the guy other than a handful of early songs. He can stay in Vegas imo.

Yeah - this! I like most of his first album but nothing after that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah - this! I like most of his first album but nothing after that.

Exactly the way I feel. Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) is great song imo, Not Counting You, Unanswered Prayers, If Tomorrow Never Comes is sappy but good enough, The Dance... same thing. Of his later stuff I like Beaches Of Cheyenne and Standing Outside The Fire. That's about it.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Exactly the way I feel. Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) is great song imo, Not Counting You, Unanswered Prayers, If Tomorrow Never Comes is sappy but good enough, The Dance... same thing. Of his later stuff I like Beaches Of Cheyenne and Standing Outside The Fire. That's about it.

I liked most of his stuff…ironically, he was another pop crossover guy. Billy Joel covers, KISS, Chris Gaines….ROFL

wil75
10-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Thank you.

I will never ever listen to that whole song, I will change stations every time I hear it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Thank you.

I will never ever listen to that whole song, I will change stations every time I hear it.

You won't have to worry about that on two stations I know of.

:D

Reerun_KC
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
DJF, I guess you are not a fan of Jason Aldeans new album?

Also what is the deal with Eric Church? Dear fucking God man, that guy blows yet everyone in the fucking nation plays his shit...

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I liked most of his stuff…ironically, he was another pop crossover guy. Billy Joel covers, KISS, Chris Gaines….ROFL

He started out very country but then like so many went in a different direction. That made him the biggest artist in the world for a while though so who's to say it was wrong to do.

Funny you mention KISS. They're one of my favorite bands of all time (and one of the few I love just from a pure fun and enjoyment standpoint) and I've had "discussions" with Garth fans (back when he was at his high point) about their influence on his shows. They loved the antics and the bombastic nature of a Garth show but would never be caught dead enjoying a band like KISS. When you show them where he got a lot of that stuff and was eager to admit it they usually just had a long "ohhhhhh" moment haha.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
DJF, I guess you are not a fan of Jason Aldeans new album?

Also what is the deal with Eric Church? Dear ****ing God man, that guy blows yet everyone in the ****ing nation plays his shit...

I'm not a big Aldean fan at all. I like a few songs though and those I like really well. Laughed Until We Cried, The Truth, Fly Over States is kind of cool to me. Other than those I'd rather just listen to a favorite rock band than hear his brand of rock country. JMO though, he's huge and getting bigger all the time. I think he has an Entertainer of the Year award in his future. His style is the hot thing now.

Eric Church is Jason Aldean light to me. Eric is a real prick though so we'll see if he burns bridges as he goes. He's definately on the rise.

Reerun_KC
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not a big Aldean fan at all. I like a few songs though and those I like really well. Laughed Until We Cried, The Truth, Fly Over States is kind of cool to me. Other than those I'd rather just listen to a favorite rock band than hear his brand of rock country. JMO though, he's huge and getting bigger all the time. I think he has an Entertainer of the Year award in his future. His style is the hot thing now.

Eric Church is Jason Aldean light to me. Eric is a real prick though so we'll see if he burns bridges as he goes. He's definately on the rise.

His music is atrocious... Beyound suck...

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
His music is atrocious... Beyound suck...

I mostly agree but as we both know good and popular have nothing in common heh.

Are you old enough to remember the days of real "outlaw country?" Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson, Cash, David Allen Coe, Leon Russell, Hank Jr's heyday, Merle, Billy Joe Shaver etc.? It seems to me... and this is just me talking... that there is kind of a new outlaw movement going on with a more raw sound and lyric and guys like Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Brantley Gilbert, Shooter Jennings, are kind of leading that group. The main difference IMO about it now is that it's staged instead of growing out of any real rebellion. It IS the cool style rather than being an alternative... which is fine if you like it... but it doesn't strike me as real or quality very often.

Does that makes any sense at all?