PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Otterbox Defender

patteeu
08-16-2012, 06:39 AM
I have this case for my iPhone 4s. The other evening, it fell out of my car on the road (when we stopped to switch drivers). I didn't notice it missing until we got home, but when I couldn't find it, I realized where it must be. We went back and found it, but it was pretty mangled because it had apparently been run over. The case, that is. The phone inside was still in pristine condition. Awesome feeling to find my phone in the middle of the night on a road 13 miles from my house and despite being run over, it's still in good shape. The cases that the rest of my family use (because they're "cuter") wouldn't have done the job. Thanks Otterbox.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1345107809858/images/large/apl2-i4sun-20-2.jpg

Buck
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
I have the Otterbox Commuter and I love it. Not quite as protective as the defender, but as long as I don't leave my phone on the road, then its protective enough for everything else.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
My wife's phone went flying off the roof of our car at 60 mph a couple months ago. Generic Otterbox sold only by TMobile for one of their LG smartphones... didn't realize it was gone until 30 minutes or so later. As soon as we realized it was gone, knew exactly when it happened and a rough idea of where it happened. Remarkably found it on the side of the road with nary a scratch on it.

Fish
08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
That's impressive. Those things are worth every penny.

NewChief
08-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I've slammed mine in the car door quite a few times. It's still intact. I won't use anything else. After a cracked screen on my wife's iPad, I went and bought a similar case (not Otterbox, can't remember what brand) for my work iPad.

I do dislike the loss of screen clarity as well as audio clarity from these cases, but the tradeoff is worth it when considering the price of a new device.

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I have this one. Griffin Survivor Series.

Dad has an Otterbox for his phone. Droid Incredible I think? I like it a lot better. The Griffin keeps the dirt out a lot better, and seems like it would keep water out better also. I really like the shock absorption too.

I'd recommend it.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/survivor-k_red-ip4-1.jpg

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I have trident for my HTC TITAN II. Been alright.

NewChief
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I have this one. Griffin Survivor Series.

Dad has an Otterbox for his phone. Droid Incredible I think? I like it a lot better. The Griffin keeps the dirt out a lot better, and seems like it would keep water out better also. I really like the shock absorption too.

I'd recommend it.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/survivor-k_red-ip4-1.jpg

The Griffin is the iPad case I have.

Bewbies
08-16-2012, 04:01 PM
A friend of mine watched his iPhone get run over (by the tire) twice when his fell off his car, not a scratch on it. Another lady I know dropped her blackberry that was in an otterbox off the roof of a 8 story office building, it lived too.

Good cases, you'd think I'd buy one. LMAO

Buck
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, when I occasionally take my phone out to clean the case/phone, I am amazed how new it still looks. I'll never go without a heavy duty phone case ever again.

IratePrimate
08-16-2012, 09:47 PM
You mind posting pictures of the mangled case?

patteeu
08-17-2012, 05:28 AM
You mind posting pictures of the mangled case?

I already threw it away. I thought about that later. It would have been good to get a picture.

Otter
08-17-2012, 06:19 AM
I bought one just for the name (and it looked...'snuggy') and love it.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
I go commando w/ my phone. NO FEAR, BRAH

actually the only people I know with otterbox defenders are old farts. They constantly drop their phones, dumbasses.

Buehler445
08-17-2012, 06:54 AM

actually the only people I know with otterbox defenders are old farts. They constantly drop their phones, dumbasses.

Follow me around for a couple days. Your phone will cry like a bitch. Siri will quit you.

scorpio
08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
My girlfriend works at Otterbox HQ. I'll send this on to her.

And FYI they are all a bunch of Donkey lovers.

NewChief
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM

All the "kids" (I'm around them daily) who roll commando have cracked screens. It's hilarious.

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I already threw it away. I thought about that later. It would have been good to get a picture.

If you e-mailed a picture and the story to otterbox I bet they'd put you in a TV commercial if they did TV commercials, which they don't. But if they did, I bet they would.

I'm impressed that you even found the phone, mangled or not. Were you driving around with the windows down calling it?

patteeu
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM

**** them, then. I'm getting a Griffin. :)

patteeu
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
If you e-mailed a picture and the story to otterbox I bet they'd put you in a TV commercial if they did TV commercials, which they don't. But if they did, I bet they would.

I'm impressed that you even found the phone, mangled or not. Were you driving around with the windows down calling it?

Well, the story of how it got there is a little bit interesting. We were letting my youngest daughter drive (she's 15 and has a permit). We were on a lightly traveled country road out near my parents' house that doesn't have a shoulder at all (and of course, no street lights). She does a good job in the car we normally have her drive, but on this occasion she was driving my F-150 pickup which is a much bigger vehicle than she's used to and she kept getting too close to the edge of the road for my comfort.

Since there was no traffic at all, I kept telling her to stay closer to the center of the road. Eventually, she got upset and pulled the car completely into the other lane, which pissed me off, so she got an earful of "stop the car right now!" She hit the breaks hard and everything that was loose in the car went flying (including my phone and a Dr. Pepper from KFC) which didn't make me any less angry. So, in the middle of the road, I told her to put it in park and we were going to switch. In a fit of Dane-like rage (without the profanity), I got out and went around to the driver's side without paying any attention to anything that might be poised to fall out of the car as soon as I opened my door, and she climbed over to the passenger side.

Later, when my wife and I went back, we did indeed drive down that stretch of the road calling the phone hoping that it would light up or make enough noise for us to hear it. Turns out that it was face down so we didn't see it light up or hear it, but it was in the middle of the road so I saw it in the headlights when we got close enough.

I wish I would have saved the case.

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
LMAO Ah, the drama of a 15 year-old's life.

Buehler445
08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
**** them, then. I'm getting a Griffin. :)

Atta boy!

FUCK THE DONKS.

Anyway, I didn't even know it was an American Company.

patteeu
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Atta boy!

**** THE DONKS.

Anyway, I didn't even know it was an American Company.

The truth is that my oldest daughter had an Otterbox Defender that she doesn't use anymore because she's more worried about style and smallness than phone protection so that's the one I'll use. I don't want to have to shell out another $50 until I'm forced to. I'll just have to get used to carrying around a purple phone for now. LOL

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
My god, it just registered that your daughter wasted a Dr. Pepper. That's inexcusable. I hope you grounded her. I mean, it's not like it was a Diet Pepsi or something. It was a Dr. Pepper.

patteeu
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
My god, it just registered that your daughter wasted a Dr. Pepper. That's inexcusable. I hope you grounded her. I mean, it's not like it was a Diet Pepsi or something. It was a Dr. Pepper.

Now you can understand why I was so angry! LMAO

NewChief
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
The truth is that my oldest daughter had an Otterbox Defender that she doesn't use anymore because she's more worried about style and smallness than phone protection so that's the one I'll use. I don't want to have to shell out another $50 until I'm forced to. I'll just have to get used to carrying around a purple phone for now. LOL

She can have her cake and eat it too with these fab cases from Inviting Company (okay, they're only otterbox commuters, not defenders... but she can personalize with her own monogram).

vailpass
08-17-2012, 03:36 PM

:rockon:

Buehler445
08-17-2012, 03:42 PM

I was joking. But I think the Griffin ones are much cheaper at Wal-Mart. They're $50 on their website, but I think they are in the $30 range at Wal-Mart.

Just a heads up. I don't know if the Otterbox ones are cheap there too.

vailpass
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I was joking. But I think the Griffin ones are much cheaper at Wal-Mart. They're $50 on their website, but I think they are in the $30 range at Wal-Mart.

Just a heads up. I don't know if the Otterbox ones are cheap there too.

Amazon is the place to buy phone cases. Griffin Survivor for IPhone $19.10, Griffin Survivor Extreme Duty for new IPad $35.09
Otterbox Defender for IPhone $18.30, etc. etc.

scorpio
08-17-2012, 11:55 PM
:rockon:

http://laurenoutloud.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hi.jpg