PDA

View Full Version : News NY Cop Shoots Homeless Mans Dog

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 01:26 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xy58M6-XPNQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Right? Wrong? This should be interesting.

Sorry if repost; looked around.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Sorry! Should have said "GRAPHIC" . . . my bad.

tooge
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
wrong. kick it for petes sake. You big pussy cop! you weigh 200 lbs and that dog weighs maybe 50. You have opposable thumbs and a tazer. You have the ability to reason and call animal contro. You are a piece of shit.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Pretty troubling video..

Donger
That's wuff.

jd1020
Dog was attacking. Move on...

Saulbadguy
It's just a stupid, mangy mutt. Better off dead.

Chief Gump
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Dog looked to be pretty aggressive. I would have probably shot.

tooge
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Dog was attacking. Move on...

fuck you. A real man isn't afraid of a dog that weighs one fourth of his weight. That puss boy has been looking for a reason to pull his gun since he was told he couldn't make it in the armed forces and joined the police.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 01:30 PM
WTF is the bum doing anyway?

Is he zonked out?

KCUnited
Lassie the cop apologists try to defend this one.

Pestilence
What's with the homeless dude? Is he dead?

fan4ever
Dog actually is still alive and in stable condition although I guess they're not hopeful it will survive.

-King-
08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
wrong. kick it for petes sake. You big pussy cop! you weigh 200 lbs and that dog weighs maybe 50. You have opposable thumbs and a tazer. You have the ability to reason and call animal contro. You are a piece of shit.

Wtf does weight have to do with it? ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown
:popcorn:

Demonpenz
The dog is in a better place now... under ground.

-King-
What's with the homeless dude? Is he dead?

Seizure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Gump
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
**** you. A real man isn't afraid of a dog that weighs one fourth of his weight. That puss boy has been looking for a reason to pull his gun since he was told he couldn't make it in the armed forces and joined the police.

Have you seen what a dog can do to someone. I am a dog lover but if I have a fairly larger dog rushing me and I have a gun... sorry Fido.

jd1020
Dog actually is still alive and in stable condition although I guess they're not hopeful it will survive.

If it wasn't in the middle of the city with so many people around they probably would have put it out of its misery.

Lzen
Dog attacked, cop had no choice. Look, I'm a dog lover but I can't blame the cop in this case. I don't care that the dog was only 50-60 lbs. It looks like some version of a pit and they can do some damage. It's not like the cop can say "stop or I'm going to shoot" and the dog will understand.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
I love how everyone is walking around nonchalantely moments after a firearm was discharged in NYC. Like nothing happened.

tooge
i'd take that dog in a heartbeat. What a loyal dog. He was defending the shit out of his person. Very sad indeed.

Ceej
Seizure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like he's just on some sort of drugs.

"Like, hey maaaaaan... everything is upside down, maaaaaaan."

Fish
He's lucky the bullet didn't ricochet off the pavement and hit somebody other than the dog.

Frazod
Fuck. I could only watch a few seconds of that and I wish now I hadn't even clicked on it.

And I think shooting it was a bit harsh, but I can see both sides.

fan4ever
Dude is passed out; either drunk or high...he's an addict I guess...and the dog has a history of biting people when the owner is zonked out...protecting him I guess. Shitty owner vs. shitty dog IMO. Here's the link to the site where I saw it.

http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668?feed=104668&article=10349352

Pestilence
You could at least post the description of the video.

A pit bull mix was pepper sprayed and shot by an NYPD officer on Monday afternoon outside of a KFC in the East Village at 14th St. and 2nd Ave. at about 4:15 p.m.

According to a passerby named Johnny Rodriguez, he and several other people called the New York Police Department, when they observed the man, identified by police as Lech Stankiewicz, having a seizure at the side of the road.

When police arrived at the scene, Rodriguez said, they attempted to approach Stankiewicz, but the man's dog, Star, was attempting to protect her owner from being harmed. According to Rodriguez, Star had already approached another passerby, Larissa Udovik, who got too close to her owner. An officer fired a shot at the dog, leaving her and the sick man suffering on the street.

A police source called the shooting "justified." The "video of the encounter" said the source, "leaves no question that the officers acted properly."

But others have criticized NYPD for how they handled the case. Doug Halsey, the director of Ready For Rescue, a non-profit animal rescue group, told the Gothamist that with irresponsible owners creating problems such as this, city police "need to be better trained to handle the situation and be equipped with the proper tools and taught how to use them to control dogs and other animals in situations like these."

Halsey was criticizing the use of pepper spray by another police officer on the dog, an act he said, that would only aggravate aggression.

Christian Pimentel, 21 told the New York Post, "It was just protecting its owner," while another witness, who did not wish to be identified, said, "They just let the dog bleed on the sidewalk, right in front of children."

A worker at a nearby KFC said that Star and the homeless man were both friendly and harmless.

Remarkably, both Stankiewicz and Star survived. Star remains in the care of the Animal Care & Control in NYC, said the East Village Local, but there also seems to be some discrepancy on how the dog is doing. According to Animal Control, the pit bull is stable, but the police source said that Star's outcome "didn't look very optimistic."

Donger
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't think I would have shot the dog, but I can't blame the cops for doing it. I wouldn't say that the dog was behaving particularly aggressively, although I'd like to see what the dog did when it ran off to the left out of camera.

Personally, I think they should have shot the dumb ass owner for allowing his dog to be off-leash in NYC.

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Talk about your Search and Seizure

Donger
08-16-2012, 01:34 PM
**** you. A real man isn't afraid of a dog that weighs one fourth of his weight. That puss boy has been looking for a reason to pull his gun since he was told he couldn't make it in the armed forces and joined the police.

:spock:

You'd rather have had the cop(s) use their night sticks or tazers?

fan4ever
He's lucky the bullet didn't ricochet off the pavement and hit somebody other than the dog.

That's what I was thinking. I was also kind of expecting one of the two to shoot him again to put him out of his misery.

Pestilence
Well, I don't think I would have shot the dog, but I can't blame the cops for doing it. I wouldn't say that the dog was behaving aggressively, although I'd like to see what the dog did when it ran off to the left out of camera.

Personally, I think they should have shot the dumb ass owner for allowing his dog to be off-leash in NYC.

The description stated that they pepper sprayed the dog before hand. That's probably why it was aggressive as fuck.

tooge
what weight has to do with it is that if a 200 lb man kicks a 50 lb dog, the dog is gonna go flying backwards. What he should have done is call animal control, let them come get it with one of those neck noose devices, and then deal with the drunk guy. It was only aggressive because they were getting too close to it.

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Fuck the police

Tribal Warfare
Yeah that was fucked up, animal control could've been called in an instant instead of shooting it.

La literatura
Happy tails to you, until we meet again . . . .

They probably should have shot it again to kill.

Ceej
Why couldn't it have been a shit-zu, or poodle or chiuahua?

I would have maybe actually enjoyed the video then.

Rather than actually watching it the first time.

suds79
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Pitbull charges a police officer, he shoots the dog and everybody freaks out "why'd you shoot him?!?!"

Seriously? Because a freaking pitbull was charging me that's why.

Lets not act like nobody has never been seriously injured from a pitbull attack.

fan4ever
You could at least post the description of the video.

Yeah I should have, but that's also not the text from the site I was at, so at least you've added another perspective...I added the link.

Donger
Seizure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, I withdraw my comment about him being a dumbass.

ChiTown
ROFL - the dog survived, so all is well. Next time, the cop should just give it a kiss and pat it's head.......

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
The description stated that they pepper sprayed the dog before hand. That's probably why it was aggressive as ****.

Well at least they tried an alternative before shooting it...had they not, they'd have been criticized for not pepper spraying, right?

Saulbadguy
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Shoot it again.

tooge
08-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Now, had it ricochet off the pavement and hit the other cop, that would have been funny as hell, provided he wasn't hurt too badly. All seriousness though, the animal rights guy has it right. The cops should be better trained and prepared to handle aggressive animals with means other than pulling out their guns and firing away amidst a large crowd of bystanders. I'm guessing this cop will be pulling arena drunk duty for a while.

Fish
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I find it interesting that after the dog is shot, all the bystanders are freaking the fuck out about the dog, and everybody seems to forget the dumb homeless dude that was having the seizure.

Sad situation that couldn't have had a good outcome. The dog was doing what dogs do. Dumbass owner shouldn't have had the dog in that situation. Careless owner, dead dog.

Chief Gump
I think this guy would have taken the dog.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262456

Tribal Warfare

If it's stable then the dog will survive

Mr. Flopnuts
08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
It's Fucking infuriating to me that the cop didn't put the Damn dog out of it's misery. Tough to watch her writhing and rolling around like that.

ChiTown
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
It's ****ing infuriating to me that the cop didn't put the Damn dog out of it's misery.

Because it survived?

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2012, 01:43 PM
From an onlooker apparently the homeless dude was postictal after a seizure

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I only read below the video; it may have been a seizure although the owner has a drug/alcohol issue. Here's all the text for anyone who cares

If you have a pet of your own, this video will be hard to watch. But wait to pass judgement until you hear all the details.

What are those details? Apparently there was a man having a seizure on the ground, shaking and twitching has passers by watched in horror. However, no one could help the man during his medical emergency because the man’s dog — a pit bull — was being quite protective. In fact, in the video you’re about to see, the dog can even be seen lashing out at one lady who gets to close, biting her pants leg.

Gothamist has more:

Johnny Rodriguez, who was visiting the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary nearby, said he and three other people alerted nearby police officers that the owner of the dog was in danger of being hit by traffic. “He was having a seizure, I saw him lying down on the ground and his head was twitching and shaking.” The two officers who responded called for backup (”I guess they didn’t have the training or something”) and the dog began growling as officers approached the man.

After that, the dog then runs at one of the officers nearby. In a split second, the officer pulls his gun and fires a single shot that sends the dog writhing in pain. The dog eventually stops moving as a pool of blood is visible.

But that still doesn’t tell the whole story. The Local East Village, an offshoot of the New York Times, says the dog — named “Star” — has a history of violence:

Brandon Verna, a homeless man acquainted with the owner of the dog, identified by police as Lech Stankiewicz, said that the pit bull has a reputation for being overly protective of her master.

“Most of us figured out that when he’s passed out, whether he’s overdosing or not, leave him alone,” Mr. Verna said. “If he’s going to die, call an ambulance and have them deal with it because no one wants to get bitten.”

A police source said that a video of the encounter leaves no question that the officers acted properly.

“It was a very dangerous situation. The shooting was completely justified,” the source said.

“She was super protective of her owner,” Ms. McSweeney said. “The dog has bitten multiple people that we know just because they were near him while he was sleeping.” [Emphasis added]

Miraculously the dog survived and is apparently in stable condition. But a police spokesperson told The Local East Village the prognosis doesn’t look good.

As for the owner, The Local has identified him as Lech Stankiewicz, a 29-year-old with a history of drug and alcohol problems. In fact, The Local says he was actually arrested after the incident for an open warrant related to an open container violation.

Ad despite the details surrounding the shooting, that didn’t stop McSweeney from turning taking it in an odd Occupy Wall Street-like direction.

“She’s bitten a bunch of our friends,” she said of the dog. “But now the first time it bites a yuppie, they shoot it? It shows that they’re not really there to protect and serve. They just protect and serve the rich.”

Saulbadguy
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
i'd take that dog in a heartbeat. What a loyal dog. He was defending the shit out of his person. Very sad indeed.

Defending the person from what?

ChiTown
I only read below the video; it may have been a seizure although the owner has a drug/alcohol issue. Here's all the text for anyone who cares

If you have a pet of your own, this video will be hard to watch. But wait to pass judgement until you hear all the details.

What are those details? Apparently there was a man having a seizure on the ground, shaking and twitching has passers by watched in horror. However, no one could help the man during his medical emergency because the man’s dog — a pit bull — was being quite protective. In fact, in the video you’re about to see, the dog can even be seen lashing out at one lady who gets to close, biting her pants leg.

Gothamist has more:

Johnny Rodriguez, who was visiting the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary nearby, said he and three other people alerted nearby police officers that the owner of the dog was in danger of being hit by traffic. “He was having a seizure, I saw him lying down on the ground and his head was twitching and shaking.” The two officers who responded called for backup (”I guess they didn’t have the training or something”) and the dog began growling as officers approached the man.

After that, the dog then runs at one of the officers nearby. In a split second, the officer pulls his gun and fires a single shot that sends the dog writhing in pain. The dog eventually stops moving as a pool of blood is visible.

But that still doesn’t tell the whole story. The Local East Village, an offshoot of the New York Times, says the dog — named “Star” — has a history of violence:

Brandon Verna, a homeless man acquainted with the owner of the dog, identified by police as Lech Stankiewicz, said that the pit bull has a reputation for being overly protective of her master.

“Most of us figured out that when he’s passed out, whether he’s overdosing or not, leave him alone,” Mr. Verna said. “If he’s going to die, call an ambulance and have them deal with it because no one wants to get bitten.”

A police source said that a video of the encounter leaves no question that the officers acted properly.

“It was a very dangerous situation. The shooting was completely justified,” the source said.

“She was super protective of her owner,” Ms. McSweeney said. “The dog has bitten multiple people that we know just because they were near him while he was sleeping.” [Emphasis added]

Miraculously the dog survived and is apparently in stable condition. But a police spokesperson told The Local East Village the prognosis doesn’t look good.

As for the owner, The Local has identified him as Lech Stankiewicz, a 29-year-old with a history of drug and alcohol problems. In fact, The Local says he was actually arrested after the incident for an open warrant related to an open container violation.

Ad despite the details surrounding the shooting, that didn’t stop McSweeney from turning taking it in an odd Occupy Wall Street-like direction.

“She’s bitten a bunch of our friends,” she said of the dog. “But now the first time it bites a yuppie, they shoot it? It shows that they’re not really there to protect and serve. They just protect and serve the rich.”

Kill it.

fan4ever
If it's stable then the dog will survive

Yeah, that's what I thought...contradictive...

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
that shitty drugged out owner was having a seizure

Fish
08-16-2012, 01:46 PM

:facepalm: FFS....

Chiefnj2
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
A homeless drug addict who can't take care of himself has an aggressive overprotective unleashed pitbull. Sounds like a recipe for tons of laughs and good times.

ChiefsNow
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Dude is passed out; either drunk or high...he's an addict I guess...and the dog has a history of biting people when the owner is zonked out...protecting him I guess. Shitty owner vs. shitty dog IMO. Here's the link to the site where I saw it.

http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668?feed=104668&article=10349352

Looks like the guy was having an epileptic seizure to me. I guess the back pack automaticaly makes him a worthless drunk and a bad dog owner. The dog didn't think so. The dog was defending. The dog probably protected him every time he had a seizure.

-King-
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Tooge has lost touch with reality ROFL

Ceej
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
A homeless drug addict who can't take care of himself has an aggressive overprotective unleashed pitbull. Sounds like a recipe for tons of laughs and good times.

A FREE tourist attraction!

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM

fucking dumbass. HE WAS HAVING A SEIZURE. SEIZURE. Has nothing to do with drugs. Has everything to do with lack of drugs to contain his seizures.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
fucking dumbass. HE WAS HAVING A SEIZURE. SEIZURE. Has nothing to do with drugs. Has everything to do with lack of drugs to contain his seizures.

or he's a dumbfuck who drinks lots booze that counteracts his meds

-King-
08-16-2012, 01:53 PM

And you know that how???

Drugs can cause seizures you know.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 01:53 PM
How in the world can a bum afford medicine??

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
How in the world can a bum afford medicine??

medicaid

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
or he's a dumbfuck who drinks lots booze that counteracts his meds

right because every homeless person is drugged out or drunk. Ever consider a lot have mental health problems that have no idea how to take care of themselves? He could be an only child and his parents could already be dead with nobody to take care of him. Ever maybe consider that?

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
And you know that how???

Drugs can cause seizures you know.

and so can flashing lights from your video game system.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
right because every homeless person is drugged out or drunk. Ever consider a lot have mental health problems that have no idea how to take care of themselves? He could be an only child and his parents could already be dead with nobody to take care of him. Ever maybe consider that?

Are you speaking from experience?

You're getting awfully defensive.

jd1020

Have you even read anything about the homeless man in question?

ChiefsNow
It's so funny watching those dumb ass cops posturing with their hands on their guns and looking around like dumb fucks.

Chiefnj2
****ing dumbass. HE WAS HAVING A SEIZURE. SEIZURE. Has nothing to do with drugs. Has everything to do with lack of drugs to contain his seizures.

Next time, take a moment to read the article for more facts. Like this one:

"As for the owner, The Local has identified him as Lech Stankiewicz, a 29-year-old with a history of drug and alcohol problems. In fact, The Local says he was actually arrested after the incident for an open warrant related to an open container violation."

Read more: http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668?feed=104668&article=10349352#ixzz23jztEOtV

manchambo
08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I actually think shooting the dog was the only responsible thing to do. You have to remember that the cop is responsible for protecting everyone. The dog took a nip at the woman behind it then charged the cop. If the cop kicks the dog or otherwise fends him off and it runs off, what kind of job has the cop done?

And if I was the cop, I might also have shot the lady who kept yelling "why you shoot the dog?"

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Next time, take a moment to read the article for more facts. Like this one:

"As for the owner, The Local has identified him as Lech Stankiewicz, a 29-year-old with a history of drug and alcohol problems. In fact, The Local says he was actually arrested after the incident for an open warrant related to an open container violation."

Read more: http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668?feed=104668&article=10349352#ixzz23jztEOtV

doesn't give me any proof he was drugged out or drunk at the time of this incident. He was arrested after for a WARRANT for open container. Still doesn't give any proof he was under anything.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Cesar Millan just acquired a new member of his pack.

ChiefsNow
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
They have other things on their belts like tazers, pepper spray. They went straight for the kill.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks like the guy was having an epileptic seizure to me. I guess the back pack automaticaly makes him a worthless drunk and a bad dog owner. The dog didn't think so. The dog was defending. The dog probably protected him every time he had a seizure.

I mentioned later that on my intitial reading I started reading under the video...where they mention his abuse history. And truth be told, if you're an epileptic, addict, or all or all of the above...whatever, if you use a dog who has a history of biting people to protect you, you're only putting your dog in harms way...and that makes you a shitty owner. Maybe attach a damn leash to your belt loop so it has limited travel...then that animal can't run around and bite anyone it wants...and perhaps live.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:00 PM
They have other things on their belts like tazers, pepper spray. They went straight for the kill.

Maybe you should read the story, idiot.

Johnny Vegas
Are you speaking from experience?

You're getting awfully defensive.

I have sympathy for the homeless that are mentally ill. Its fucking sad and most just blame it on bad decisions and drugs or alcohol. Its been proven that a lot of homeless out there are mentally ill.

Fish
And if I was the cop, I might also have shot the lady who kept yelling "why you shoot the dog?"

:thumb:

"Because BLAM BLAM.... now shut the fuck up woman!"

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM

One of the first hand accounts from another site says they tried using pepper spray first...

DJ's left nut
Wow.

I have 3 dogs. I've trained a service dog and gave him up. I like dogs more than people and by a lot.

But WTF is the question here? The cops couldn't get to a man that was having clear medical problems and the dog acted aggressively towards them. Uh...ballgame. The only real concern I have is firing a gun on a city street, but that's because of the bystanders that could be hit by the stray bullet.

The conduct as it relates to the dog, however, is completely justified. A 60 lb dog is absolutely capable of fucking you up if it has it in its mind to do so. And they don't exactly stand still and let you kick them - dogs are sturdy as hell. Unless he hit it square enough to essentially detonate its ribs, that dog was just going to regroup and come back for more (again keeping the cops from doing their job).

Oh, and if he'd have 'put it out of it's misery' there'd be 100x more people bitching about the dog murdering cop that didn't even leave the poor pooch a fighting chance.

I don't even see a ton of grey area here.

Ceej
I have sympathy for the homeless that are mentally ill. Its ****ing sad and most just blame it on bad decisions and drugs or alcohol. Its been proven that a lot of homeless out there are mentally ill.

Then maybe you should go volunteer at your local Lord's Diner.

Chiefnj2
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
doesn't give me any proof he was drugged out or drunk at the time of this incident. He was arrested after for a WARRANT for open container. Still doesn't give any proof he was under anything.

I didn't say he was. I'm sure he's a responsible person and dog owner. He must have one of those see through leashes and muzzles for his dog that has a history of biting people.

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Someone should have shot the cop.

DJ's left nut
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM

For the record, CP is slipping.

The 'shoot the cop' answer usually comes within the first 15 posts or so and is immediately followed by a reminder of how badly you'd have fucked that cop up if he shot your dog...

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:06 PM
For the record, CP is slipping.

The 'shoot the cop' answer usually comes within the first 15 posts or so...

It should have been the first post. The cops had several other options. Trigger happy cops should be eliminated from the force immediately. Trigger happy cops who act upon their impulses need to be put down.

We'd say that about a civilian, and a cop should be held to a higher, not lower, standard.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Owning handguns in NY is illegal I understand...that's why there's no muggings and stuff.

Fish
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I have sympathy for the homeless that are mentally ill. Its fucking sad and most just blame it on bad decisions and drugs or alcohol. Its been proven that a lot of homeless out there are mentally ill.

The large majority of homeless people are homeless because they want to be. And they prey on the sympathy of people like you all the fucking time. You flip them a dollar thinking you're being all Mr. Caring and helping some poor mentally ill down and out Joe, and he's laughing at your oblivious ass as he heads to the liquor store with the money you just gave him.

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
The large majority of homeless people are homeless because they want to be. And they prey on the sympathy of people like you all the ****ing time. You flip them a dollar thinking you're being all Mr. Caring and helping some poor mentally ill down and out Joe, and he's laughing at your oblivious ass as he heads to the liquor store with the money you just gave him.

This. The pitch did an article awhile back and the Quote Unquote Homeless walked back to their Lexus Mercedes and lived the good life. All the while Joe Tax Payer is left with the bill.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
It should have been the first post. The cops had several other options. Trigger happy cops should be eliminated from the force immediately. Trigger happy cops who act upon their impulses need to be put down.

We'd say that about a civilian, and a cop should be held to a higher, not lower, standard.

Pepper spray didn't work; should have let the dog latch onto him and fight it out; man vs. dog? Is that what you're saying?

And if you watch a bit more of the video, animal control shows up minutes after the shooting. Unless they had an office down the street my bet is that the cops had already called them to try and subdue the dog in a humane fashion.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 02:10 PM
This thread needs more Patrick Bateman.

Chiefnj2
08-16-2012, 02:10 PM
The cops had several other options.

The cop should have volunteered his left hand to be a chew toy while he reasoned with the canine and read it it's Miranda rights.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
The large majority of homeless people are homeless because they want to be. And they prey on the sympathy of people like you all the fucking time. You flip them a dollar thinking you're being all Mr. Caring and helping some poor mentally ill down and out Joe, and he's laughing at your oblivious ass as he heads to the liquor store with the money you just gave him.

I used to think that way too. Then I realized, the mans gotta drink.

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

see thats where you're wrong. you're describing panhandlers which are nothing more than the gutterpunks in Seattle. The ones that are by themselves talking to nobody while pushing a cart full of cans are the ones I've experienced to be the ones mentally ill. Organized cans, glass bottles, papers, but batshit crazy. Those are the ones I sympathize for.

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Pepper spray didn't work; should have let the dog latch onto him and fight it out; man vs. dog? Is that what you're saying?

And if you watch a bit more of the video, animal control shows up minutes after the shooting. Unless they had an office down the street my bet is that the cops had already called them to try and subdue the dog in a humane fashion.

I've trapped larger attacking dogs by simply wrapping them up in a shirt or jacket or blanket: they could have done the same. They could have used a taser. They could have ordered people to back off and waited for animal control to get there.

Police today are far too prone to overreact. We need to hold them to higher, not lower, standards. They are supposed to have been trained to handle situations like this.

ChiefsNow
08-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe you should read the story, idiot.

Thanks for the info . Idiot

DJ's left nut
08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
The cop should have volunteered his left hand to be a chew toy while he reasoned with the canine and read it it's Miranda rights.

I'm told that the proper response to a dog that has reacted aggressively to pepper spray is to kick it. It's attacking through the searing pain in its eyes, but I'm sure just giving it a nice solid boot will have it sitting obediently on the sidewalk while you tend to the man you have been tasked with protecting.

If it bites, say goodnight - SOP for an aggressive dog.

Johnny Vegas
08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
they're right next to KFC they could've thrown a hunk of chicken at the dog. Am I wrong? Don't burglars do this for k9s at the junk yard?

DJ's left nut
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I've trapped larger attacking dogs by simply wrapping them up in a shirt or jacket or blanket: they could have done the same. They could have used a taser. They could have ordered people to back off and waited for animal control to get there.

Police today are far too prone to overreact. We need to hold them to higher, not lower, standards. They are supposed to have been trained to handle situations like this.

The dog is not their job, the person is. Backing off isn't an option there, they have to get to him as quickly as possible to asses and administer care. If he's choking on his tongue and they have people back off and wait for animal control to arrive, what happens when the homeless guy dies?

"Oh, well we couldn't check on him because we had to wait to humanely remove his attacking dog from the scene"

Surely you're not serious.

As to your shirt suggestion - no thanks. You're welcome to do so if you'd like, but to expect everyone to do it because it works on occasion is just stupid. That makes the risk of injury to the officer significantly higher and all for the sake of not dropping a dog that's attacking an officer. Oh, and again, they were reacting to a call - were they to stop and take their shirts off to deal with this animal? Should they carry a dog-towel in their cars at all times?

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Tooge has lost touch with reality ROFL

For the record, I don't have a problem with the dog being subdued. The guy needed medical attention and they weren't able to get to him. I have a problem with pulling your gun out in a crowded area full of civilians and shooting down at the dog toward the pavement like a complete dumbass. Borrow someones jacket, kick it back, use your shirt, etc. How would the CP crowd be reacting if the story ended by the stray bullet bouncing off the pavement and hitting a civi?

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM
The dog is not their job, the person is. Backing off isn't an option there, they have to get to him as quickly as possible to asses and administer care. If he's choking on his tongue and they have people back off and wait for animal control to arrive, what happens when the homeless guy dies?

"Oh, well we couldn't check on him because we had to wait to humanely remove his attacking dog from the scene"

Public safety is their job, and of course backing off is an option there. It happens all the time.

As to your shirt suggestion - no thanks. You're welcome to do so if you'd like, but to expect everyone to do it because it works on occasion is just stupid. That makes the risk of injury to the officer significantly higher and all for the sake of not dropping a dog that's attacking an officer. Oh, and again, they were reacting to a call - were they to stop and take their shirts off to deal with this animal? Should they carry a dog-towel in their cars at all times?

I've done it several times. It's pretty easy. It was also just one of a few examples I gave of things that the police could have done. If that idiot had missed the dog, someone could have been hit with the ricochet.

edit: I see Tooge just pointed out the ricochet issue ahead of me.

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM

dude, you can't choke on your tongue during a siezure. That is a myth.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
For the record, I don't have a problem with the dog being subdued. The guy needed medical attention and they weren't able to get to him. I have a problem with pulling your gun out in a crowded area full of civilians and shooting down at the dog toward the pavement like a complete dumbass. Borrow someones jacket, kick it back, use your shirt, etc. How would the CP crowd be reacting if the story ended by the stray bullet bouncing off the pavement and hitting a civi?

Gotta love all the people who come up with these awesome plans on how to deal with a dog thats going to be chomping down on a guys leg in less than a second.

Chiefnj2
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
They could have ordered people to back off and waited for animal control to get there.

They are supposed to have been trained to handle situations like this.

And if the guy dies while they are waiting for animal control? Then you have a dead guy and dead dog. If this dog didn't receive news attention, it would have been been put in a kill shelter that's full of pitbulls that don't attack strangers and it would have been put down in short order.

Looks like they handled it well. A dangerous animal was subdued and nobody was hurt.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Puns.

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Gotta love all the people who come up with these awesome plans on how to deal with a dog thats going to be chomping down on a guys leg in less than a second.

It's called training dumbass. Just like a paramedic that comes to find a guy unresponsive. they know what to do because they were trained to do so. I'm fairly certain that "pull your gun, aim toward the pavement, and shoot when a crowd is nearby" is not part of the police protocol when a dog is attacking you.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
It's called training dumbass. Just like a paramedic that comes to find a guy unresponsive. they know what to do because they were trained to do so. I'm fairly certain that "pull your gun, aim toward the pavement, and shoot when a crowd is nearby" is not part of the police protocol when a dog is attacking you.

You know what training cops get with an aggressive dog who's charging? A gun with bullets.

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Puns.

heh, very true

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
You know what training cops get with an aggressive dog who's charging? A gun with bullets.

spouting ignorance is what you do. It's how you've been trained to debate I suppose.

DJ's left nut
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Public safety is their job, and of course backing off is an option there. It happens all the time.

Not to protect a dog, it doesn't.

I've done it several times. It's pretty easy. It was also just one of a few examples I gave of things that the police could have done. If that idiot had missed the dog, someone could have been hit with the ricochet.

edit: I see Tooge just pointed out the ricochet issue ahead of me.

I've already said the only issue I have is with the gun being discharged in a crowd. However, while Tooge says the tongue choking thing is a myth, the 1000 mph ricochet is as well. A lead round is going to put most of its energy into the first thing it hits as it mushrooms unless it impacts at an extremely steep angle (in which case it will lose its ballistic qualities and still come off pretty slow). The odds of a true ricochet injury are pretty damn remote.

And to speak to Tooge, I don't care if the tongue thing is a myth - the officers had no idea what was wrong with the dude. It could absolutely have been a critical issue that had to be dealt with immediately. You don't simply leave the guy laying there while you wait for animal control to arrive. And if any one of us had a spouse or something that was in the same situation, we'd say the exact same thing.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
spouting ignorance is what you do. It's how you've been trained to debate I suppose.

Yes. I'm sure in the police academy cops are trained how to be animal control.

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
And if the guy dies while they are waiting for animal control? Then you have a dead guy and dead dog.

Would the dog have stroked out because the guy died, or something? If not, the job of animal control would be to capture the dog alive.

If this dog didn't receive news attention, it would have been been put in a kill shelter that's full of pitbulls that don't attack strangers and it would have been put down in short order.

If victims of shootings didn't receive news attention, they'd still have been shot. You may have a point here, but it's certainly not one that makes any sense.

Looks like they handled it well. A dangerous animal was subdued and nobody was hurt.

They didn't handle it well. That cop was an idiot.

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

It wouldn't have been about protecting the dog. It would have been about acting appropriately. They're not the same thing.

I've already said the only issue I have is with the gun being discharged in a crowd. However, while Tooge says the tongue choking thing is a myth, the 1000 mph ricochet is as well. A lead round is going to put most of its energy into the first thing it hits as it mushrooms unless it impacts at an extremely steep angle (in which case it will lose its ballistic qualities and still come off pretty slow). The odds of a true ricochet injury are pretty damn remote.

And to speak to Tooge, I don't care if the tongue thing is a myth - the officers had no idea what was wrong with the dude. It could absolutely have been a critical issue that had to be dealt with immediately. You don't simply leave the guy laying there while you wait for animal control to arrive. And if any one of us had a spouse or something that was in the same situation, we'd say the exact same thing.

Richochets are dangerous and can kill.

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM

I agree with you. they needed to get to him. I'm actually fairly surprised that a bullet didn't ricochet into something or someone however. that is all.

BWillie
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
This is not a big deal. I feed cats to ATM's all the time. And knife bums that have nothing in common with me.

tooge
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes. I'm sure in the police academy cops are trained how to be animal control.

yes, I'm sure they are. If they don't tell cops, who enter peoples homes all the time, how to deal with aggressive dogs without immediately shooting, I'd be surprised

Brock
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Pretty good shot. They should have put the dog out of its misery, though.

DJ's left nut
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
It wouldn't have been about protecting the dog. It would have been about acting appropriately. They're not the same thing.

Richochets are dangerous and can kill.

Most law enforcement uses soft lead rounds that are designed to fragment on impact for just such a concern.

A jacketed round can absolutely be dangerous and presents some real risks, especially if it hits steel or something to that effect (pavement being a much softer surface would have far less rebound). However, the round this officer almost certainly used would be a lead round that is designed to bleed off all its energy upon impacting a hard surface.

Bullets aren't super-balls. Ricochets make for interesting stories, but their impact and their likelihood is generally vastly overstated.

The bare minimum amount of force that could've been used on an attacking animal isn't the 'correct' amount. The correct amount is the amount it takes to absolutely ensure that the person that animal is attacking is put at minimal risk.

The officer absolutely acted appropriately.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
yes, I'm sure they are. If they don't tell cops, who enter peoples homes all the time, how to deal with aggressive dogs without immediately shooting, I'd be surprised

They care not about someones aggressive dog and if it is in attack mode coming at the officers its getting a bullet.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 02:41 PM

So are you some kind of dog expert? Is that how you've come across the situation of wrapping up an attacking dog in a shirt/blanket? And higher standards? I think any civilian with a gun would have done the same thing; I would...but Cops should put them selves at risk more? I really don't see that. Cops go through a lot of training and dog wrestling really shouldn't have much priority IMO. By the way, NY is very congested and getting people out of the way is pretty hard...just look how long it took them to disperse the crowd.

Canofbier
08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Would the dog have stroked out because the guy died, or something? If not, the job of animal control would be to capture the dog alive.

If victims of shootings didn't receive news attention, they'd still have been shot. You may have a point here, but it's certainly not one that makes any sense.

They didn't handle it well. That cop was an idiot.

Nothing personal, but I think your username applies here. The officer was presented with a difficult situation that required a split-second response. A pepper-spray-enraged dog was charging at him after almost hurting a civilian, and I wouldn't say that it's such a sure thing to subdue an animal in that condition with a shirt or blanket. Make no mistake - a dog that size can definitely kill a human if it wants to.

The stray bullet MAY have been an issue, but a violent and aggressive animal almost certainly is. The cop's priorities were to try and get to the man to administer whatever help they could for the apparently serious medical situation he was in, and to protect the human civilians around them. The outcome of the situation ended up fulfilling both of those priorities, didn't it?

Chief Gump
08-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Nothing personal, but I think your username applies here. The officer was presented with a difficult situation that required a split-second response. A pepper-spray-enraged dog was charging at him after almost hurting a civilian, and I wouldn't say that it's such a sure thing to subdue an animal in that condition with a shirt or blanket. Make no mistake - a dog that size can definitely kill a human if it wants to.

The stray bullet MAY have been an issue, but a violent and aggressive animal almost certainly is. The cop's priorities were to try and get to the man to administer whatever help they could for the apparently serious medical situation he was in, and to protect the human civilians around them. The outcome of the situation ended up fulfilling both of those priorities, didn't it?

Yep, that about covers it.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Backing off and not aiding the alleged seizure victim?

Really?

I can see it now "Why did you let that man die on the street" "Ummm, we didn't want to have to shoot his dog and couldn't figure out how to subdue him in a popular way in time to give him life saving aid. "Good for you officer; the man's family doesn't want to sue us or anything".

Chiefnj2
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Getting shot was the best thing that could have happened to that dog in this situation. If animal control comes, the dog is put into a kill shelter. You think the shelter is going to release an aggressive pitbull to a homeless guy once he is released from the hospital? The dog would have been euthanized in weeks. Now someone will feel sorry for it and adopt it.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Getting shot was the best thing that could have happened to that dog in this situation. If animal control comes, the dog is put into a kill shelter. You think the shelter is going to release an aggressive pitbull to a homeless guy once he is released from the hospital? The dog would have been euthanized in weeks. Now someone will feel sorry for it and adopt it.

Cesar Millan. Dog's gonna be famous.

Brock
08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

The dog survived?

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:00 PM
The dog survived?

It's supposedly in "stable condition." Probably PR slang for "dog's dead in less than 24 hours."

tooge
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
They care not about someones aggressive dog and if it is in attack mode coming at the officers its getting a bullet.

I'm realizing that I'm arguing with someone that probably isn't very bright. This is a waste of my time. I'm out.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm realizing that I'm arguing with someone that probably isn't very bright. This is a waste of my time. I'm out.

Well... Bye...

-King-
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
THAT DOG IS CHARGING ME! QUICK SOMEONE TAKE OFF THEIR SHIRT SO I CAN WRAP IT AROUND THE DOG!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Gump
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
THAT DOG IS CHARGING ME! QUICK SOMEONE TAKE OFF THEIR SHIRT SO I CAN WRAP IT AROUND THE DOG!
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

Canofbier
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Epic_327255_52875.gif

Detoxing
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
You flip them a dollar thinking you're being all Mr. Caring and helping some poor mentally ill down and out Joe, and he's laughing at your oblivious ass as he heads to the liquor store with the money you just gave him.

I use to be 100% against giving money to the homeless.

I was all, "**** him. He's just gonna waste it on drugs and alcohol".

But then I realized......who am I to judge?

After all, ima use the money on the same things.

Ben N 58men
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Shoot the fucking dog.

That's an easy answer.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Cesar Millan just acquired a new member of his pack.

or the real master Russ Osburn

Bump
08-16-2012, 03:37 PM
that's fucked up, I don't know what to think yet.

Fish
08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
I use to be 100% against giving money to the homeless.

I was all, "**** him. He's just gonna waste it on drugs and alcohol".

But then I realized......who am I to judge?

After all, ima use the money on the same things.

I don't mind buying a fella a beer. But they're completely dishonest about it, and that's what pisses me off. I drive by a section of the Plaza where the panhandlers are working every day. I've seen the same group work it for years. One lady has had the same "Pregnant, escaping an abusive situation" sign for almost 4 years now. Most of them claim to be a veteran, but when you ask something like "What regiment did you serve?", they just give up and walk away. The ones that panhandle by the Plaza always walk down to the 7-11 on Main and buy a 12pack of Beast and several packs of smokes.

I'm gonna use the money on the same things too, but I had to sit my ass in this chair and slave away on CP all day in order to do so.

It probably bothers me more than it should...

Canofbier
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't mind buying a fella a beer. But they're completely dishonest about it, and that's what pisses me off. I drive by a section of the Plaza where the panhandlers are working every day. I've seen the same group work it for years. One lady has had the same "Pregnant, escaping an abusive situation" sign for almost 4 years now. Most of them claim to be a veteran, but when you ask something like "What regiment did you serve?", they just give up and walk away. The ones that panhandle by the Plaza always walk down to the 7-11 on Main and buy a 12pack of Beast and several packs of smokes.

I'm gonna use the money on the same things too, but I had to sit my ass in this chair and slave away on CP all day in order to do so.

Naw, I know what you mean. I just arrived in Minneapolis, and it seems like all the people with signs asking for money around here are reasonably well-dressed white people. I don't fucking trust them. If you're going to try and get me to feel sorry for you and give you money, at least be dirty and wear shitty old clothes to look the part.

loochy
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
that's fucked up, I don't know what to think yet.

You think that republicans and corporations did this because normal people don't matter in this country.

Al Bundy
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
****. I could only watch a few seconds of that and I wish now I hadn't even clicked on it.

And I think shooting it was a bit harsh, but I can see both sides.

I'm not even going to click on it.

Fish
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
You think that republicans and corporations did this because normal people don't matter in this country.

LMAO

And the answer to the second question is marijuana.

Detoxing
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

haha, nah i know what you mean.

It use to REALLY irk the shit out of me. I grew up as a homeless kid. From the ages 6-14 i was either sleeping in the streets, the back of moving trucks or in some scummy motel.

HOWEVER, we NEVER panhandled. We Never allowed ourselves to smell like shit and look like shit.

So when my wife says, "Oh my god, that poor, poor man, look at him", it would piss me the fuck off and cause me to go on tangents, because from experience, i KNOW that there is no reason for these people to act and look so pathetic and gross.

There are too many programs out there that will give them a shower everyday, feed them everyday and put clean clothes on their backs.

They CHOOSE to live like that, therefore i have no sympathy for them.....Though i'll throw down a buck or two and hope that it comes back around someday if i ever need it.

Come to think of it....I think ima start handing out sacks of weed to homeless people. Fuck it, i get the shit for free anyway.

Donger
08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
We don't have very many beggars where I live, but there is one lady who hangs out by the local grocery store and asks people for rides to the nearby Home Depot. I gave her a ride once and she of course hit me up for money when we got there. I gave her ten bucks. A few weeks ago, she did the same thing and I said before she could finish, "Let me guess: you want me to drive you to Home Depot, where you'll then hit me up for money, too, right?" She walked away. It was really odd, though. This gal apparently just does this all the time.

demonhero
08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
not on a lease... and dog was already being aggressive.

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 05:00 PM
don't mean to laugh but it reminded me of episode of Rescue Me

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Demonpenz;8823692]That dog got ****ing Smoked. I wouldn't be against anyone shooting that dog.

Canofbier
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
haha, nah i know what you mean.

It use to REALLY irk the shit out of me. I grew up as a homeless kid. From the ages 6-14 i was either sleeping in the streets, the back of moving trucks or in some scummy motel.

HOWEVER, we NEVER panhandled. We Never allowed ourselves to smell like shit and look like shit.

So when my wife says, "Oh my god, that poor, poor man, look at him", it would piss me the **** off and cause me to go on tangents, because from experience, i KNOW that there is no reason for these people to act and look so pathetic and gross.

There are too many programs out there that will give them a shower everyday, feed them everyday and put clean clothes on their backs.

They CHOOSE to live like that, therefore i have no sympathy for them.....Though i'll throw down a buck or two and hope that it comes back around someday if i ever need it.

Come to think of it....I think ima start handing out sacks of weed to homeless people. **** it, i get the shit for free anyway.

Damn dude, good on you for getting yourself out of that situation.

Valiant
08-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I guess here is my problem.. Besides hating NYorkers..

The cops you would think shoot the dog to get to the guy to help him??

Well, they shoot the dog, then don't do shit for the guy.. Finally later animal control comes with one of those sticks/leash thingies for restraining aggressive animals so you do not get hurt.. But, they still have not fucking helped the guy..

So, why not just radio in to get the same stick thing to restrain the dog as it would of taken the same amount of time?? That is what pisses me off..

The dog seems to be a good dog and protecting his owner... A police dog would do the same thing.. Hell, the KFC guy said both the guy and dog are always friendly..

----------------

Now what is going to piss me off further.. We will find out later that the city spent a ton of money get the dog healthy to put it down later.. Or if it survives and/or keep the dog away from her owner..

Homeless people get attacked frequently, I understand having a dog that protects him.. Though there are conflicting reports of its aggressiveness.

Another thing that irritated me, the cop with gloves on that was being a dick and showed some lilman syndrome when talking to people.. Imagine how much worse he would of been without the cameras on him..

Valiant
08-16-2012, 05:39 PM
We don't have very many beggars where I live, but there is one lady who hangs out by the local grocery store and asks people for rides to the nearby Home Depot. I gave her a ride once and she of course hit me up for money when we got there. I gave her ten bucks. A few weeks ago, she did the same thing and I said before she could finish, "Let me guess: you want me to drive you to Home Depot, where you'll then hit me up for money, too, right?" She walked away. It was really odd, though. This gal apparently just does this all the time.

I guess she ask for a ride to the grocery store when at Home Depot.. She is probably raking in the money by wasting gas and driving up demand in the area..

Seriously though, there was a pitch article in KC about the resident homeless people around the Plaza and such.. One raked in the as in more then most middle class families made.. 1000s a week..

Frazod
08-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm not even going to click on it.

I was in a position once when I almost had to shoot a dog. We lived in the country, and this big black lab from about a mile up the road kept coming down fucking with one of our bird dogs. The lab was about twice Buck's size, and was leaving him bloody (cut his tongue so bad that when he panted it was hanging out of his mouth on either side like a snake's). After the second time I told the kid who owned the dog to keep the goddamn thing away from our house. But a couple of days later, it showed up again. I grabbed the .357 and went outside, I was just waiting to get a clear shot when the kid came down screaming at me not to kill his dog. We got them separated, and I told him next time would be the last time. I guess the gun drove the point home, because I never saw either one of them near my house again.

I sure am glad I didn't have to pull the trigger, though. That would have really stayed with me I think.

chasedude
08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Why couldn't I have just passed by this thread and not clicked on the video?

chasedude
08-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Well, they shoot the dog, then don't do shit for the guy.. Finally later animal control comes with one of those sticks/leash thingies for restraining aggressive animals so you do not get hurt.. But, they still have not fucking helped the guy..

So, why not just radio in to get the same stick thing to restrain the dog as it would of taken the same amount of time?? That is what pisses me off..

The dog seems to be a good dog and protecting his owner... A police dog would do the same thing.. Hell, the KFC guy said both the guy and dog are always friendly..

----------------

Now what is going to piss me off further.. We will find out later that the city spent a ton of money get the dog healthy to put it down later.. Or if it survives and/or keep the dog away from her owner..

Homeless people get attacked frequently, I understand having a dog that protects him.. Though there are conflicting reports of its aggressiveness.

Another thing that irritated me, the cop with gloves on that was being a dick and showed some lilman syndrome when talking to people.. Imagine how much worse he would of been without the cameras on him..

You said alot of what I was thinking. I still shouldn't have clicked on that video.

Make's me think of that Pearl Jam song, Glorified G... "Feels so manly, when armed"

Just Passin' By
08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Most law enforcement uses soft lead rounds that are designed to fragment on impact for just such a concern.

A jacketed round can absolutely be dangerous and presents some real risks, especially if it hits steel or something to that effect (pavement being a much softer surface would have far less rebound). However, the round this officer almost certainly used would be a lead round that is designed to bleed off all its energy upon impacting a hard surface.

Bullets aren't super-balls. Ricochets make for interesting stories, but their impact and their likelihood is generally vastly overstated.

The bare minimum amount of force that could've been used on an attacking animal isn't the 'correct' amount. The correct amount is the amount it takes to absolutely ensure that the person that animal is attacking is put at minimal risk.

The officer absolutely acted appropriately.

Take a look at this video.

http://www.kfyi.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668?feed=104668&article=10349352#ixzz23jztEOtV

Stop it at :07 in.

Re-think your position. That idiot cop could have shot the very man he's supposed to be helping. Sorry, but the only one that acted appropriately there was the dog protecting its master. The cops, meanwhile, just ignore the man on the street for a while after that, so the whole "the man could die" being tossed around by the supporters of the cops is just bullshit.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Well, they shoot the dog, then don't do shit for the guy.. Finally later animal control comes with one of those sticks/leash thingies for restraining aggressive animals so you do not get hurt.. But, they still have not ****ing helped the guy..

You don't think they called animal control to get the dog before they shot it? They had no choice but to shoot the dog. The dog charged them to attack them.

Next time they should let the pitbull eat them alive til animal control arrives to take care of the situation.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes it was justified, that's pretty obvious. HE died because of his owner though, not the cops.

KChiefer
08-16-2012, 06:37 PM
As sad as it is, the police are not at fault here. If he had a taser I wish he would have used that, but you cannot have unchained dogs biting people in the streets.

Hell, at least now if the dog pulls through someone will adopt it, where as animal control would have taken it to the pound where it would have been euthanized.

KChiefer
08-16-2012, 06:40 PM
http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2011/02/gun.jpg

Simplicity
08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Wrong. What the **** makes you think you have to shoot a dog that in PUBLIC around citizens. You are able to take other percautions on how to handle this situation other then shoot the dog. Should be fired.

KChiefer
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Wrong. What the **** makes you think you have to shoot a dog that in PUBLIC around citizens. You are able to take other percautions on how to handle this situation other then shoot the dog. Should be fired.

Say a 5 yr old walks by and the dog jumps that kid. Now do you shoot?

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Say a 5 yr old walks by and the dog jumps that kid. Now do you shoot?

You obviously use your shirt to get him off of the 5 yr old.

KChiefer
08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
You obviously use your shirt to get him off of the 5 yr old.

I always carry a ribeye on my person for these situations.

BIG_DADDY
I don't even know why this is in question and I am about as bullyish as they come.

La literatura
I was in a position once when I almost had to shoot a dog. We lived in the country, and this big black lab from about a mile up the road kept coming down ****ing with one of our bird dogs. The lab was about twice Buck's size, and was leaving him bloody (cut his tongue so bad that when he panted it was hanging out of his mouth on either side like a snake's). After the second time I told the kid who owned the dog to keep the goddamn thing away from our house. But a couple of days later, it showed up again. I grabbed the .357 and went outside, I was just waiting to get a clear shot when the kid came down screaming at me not to kill his dog. We got them separated, and I told him next time would be the last time. I guess the gun drove the point home, because I never saw either one of them near my house again.

I sure am glad I didn't have to pull the trigger, though. That would have really stayed with me I think.

Atticus had to kill that black lab with rabies.

La literatura
08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2011/02/gun.jpg

Nice!

Valiant
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
You don't think they called animal control to get the dog before they shot it? They had no choice but to shoot the dog. The dog charged them to attack them.

Next time they should let the pitbull eat them alive til animal control arrives to take care of the situation.

Watching the video they did not have to, they did not do their job in helping that man, they did not help that guy until they leashed a shot dog that was also pepper sprayed them..

If they would of shot the dog, then got help for the guy I would agree with you..

But they didn't do that, they shot the dog and didn't do shit to help the guy..

petegz28
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
It was a terrible decision for the reason others have stated. The Officer could have very well missed and hit someone. A dog comes rushing at you and you shoot it but if it was a person he would not ever have pulled the trigger

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Watching the video they did not have to, they did not do their job in helping that man, they did not help that guy until they leashed a shot dog that was also pepper sprayed them..

If they would of shot the dog, then got help for the guy I would agree with you..

He's probably still there.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:55 PM

WTF difference does it make?

It's not ok that they shot the dog charging them to attack because they didn't immediately help the man afterward.

It's ok that they shot the dog charging them to attack because they immediately helped the man afterward.

There's one thing that remained the same... the dog was charging to attack.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
It was a terrible decision for the reason others have stated. The Officer could have very well missed and hit someone. A dog comes rushing at you and you shoot it but if it was a person he would not ever have pulled the trigger

Ummm... wtf? If a person was rushing to attack an officer you can bet your ass they would have shot that person. Especially if that person wasn't effected by other methods.

petegz28
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Ummm... wtf? If a person was rushing to attack an officer you can bet your ass they would have shot that person.

Have you paid attention over the last several years? If that person wasn't armed most likely they would have not discharged their firearms. If Cops shot every person that attacked them without a weapon we'd have a bunch of dead fuckers.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Have you paid attention over the last several years? If that person wasn't armed most likely they would have not discharged their firearms. If Cops shot every person that attacked them without a weapon we'd have a bunch of dead ****ers.

Have you? Why the **** do you think there's such a thing called "death by cop?" Because officers wont ****ing hesitate to end your life if you are threatening theirs.

Maybe you missed the thread with the youtube video of a kid with a metal object in his hand threatening to swing it at an officer take about 10 bullets.

petegz28
08-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Have you? Why the **** do you think there's such a thing called "death by cop?" Because officers wont ****ing hesitate to end your life if you are threatening theirs.

Maybe you missed the thread with the youtube video of a kid with a metal object in his hand threatening to swing it at an officer take about 10 bullets.

And I am telling you as a friend of several police officers, if a cop shot someone every time they were physically threatened there would be tons of dead people. If the person doesn't have a weapon then 9/10 times the Cop isn't going to shoot him.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
And I am telling you as a friend of several police officers, if a cop shot someone every time they were physically threatened there would be tons of dead people. If the person doesn't have a weapon then 9/10 times the Cop isn't going to shoot him.

No shit they aren't going to shoot an unarmed person you idiot.

This is a dog who's weapon is his teeth. And dogs don't have the same rights as humans.

Valiant
WTF difference does it make?

It's not ok that they shot the dog charging them to attack because they didn't immediately help the man afterward.

It's ok that they shot the dog charging them to attack because they immediately helped the man afterward.

There's one thing that remained the same... the dog was charging to attack.

The fact that you cannot see the difference troubles me..

The only reason to shoot the owners dog is to get the man immediate care..

They did not do that, what is the point of shooting the dog?? That man was there awhile from reports, it only became aggressive when people approached the owner.. Since they were not going to remedy aid, what is the point of pepper spraying the dog and agitating it? They could of just waited like the did without shooting the dog.

petegz28

This is a dog who's weapon is his teeth.

:facepalm: Cops turn dogs loose on people all the time and I don't recall ever hearing of someone dying from such.

Valiant
08-16-2012, 07:04 PM

This is a dog who's weapon is his teeth. And dogs don't have the same rights as humans.

Tell the Florida guy that got his face eaten off..

jd1020
08-16-2012, 07:04 PM
The fact that you cannot see the difference troubles me..

The only reason to shoot the owners dog is to get the man immediate care..

They did not do that, what is the point of shooting the dog?? That man was there awhile from reports, it only became aggressive when people approached the owner.. Since they were not going to remedy aid, what is the point of pepper spraying the dog and agitating it? They could of just waited like the did without shooting the dog.

No. The only reason to shoot the dog is because it was going to attack...

jd1020
08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
:facepalm: Cops turn dogs loose on people all the time and I don't recall ever hearing of someone dying from such.

They aren't trained to kill you dumb mother fucker.

petegz28
08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
They aren't trained to kill you dumb mother ****er.

I don't think this dog was trained to kill either. The Cop's life was never in any real threat at all. None whatsoever.

you dumb mother fucker

Valiant
08-16-2012, 07:06 PM
No. The only reason to shoot the dog is because it was going to attack...

Sweet, so if I am officer or neighbor, I can agitate a dog by pepperspraying it or throwing shit at it.. If it attacks me I can shoot it..

It is so simple it might work..

jd1020
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Sweet, so if I am officer or neighbor, I can agitate a dog by pepperspraying it or throwing shit at it.. If it attacks me I can shoot it..

It is so simple it might work..

It's called self defense. Look it up.

petegz28
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
How many postman have been attacked by dogs and all they carry is pepper spray and horns?

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
How many postman have been attacked by dogs and all they carry is pepper spray and horns?

The cops had pepper spray; guess it didn't work...pretty sure a loud horn won't scare away an angry pit bull but you're welcome to try it.

petegz28
08-16-2012, 07:18 PM
The cops had pepper spray; guess it didn't work...pretty sure a loud horn won't scare away an angry pit bull but you're welcome to try it.

nightstick...tazer? Kick to the chops???

KChiefer
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tDUC7oFVYB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsgvUohhpqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So the first vid is pretty funny. However the second video shows me that spraying could have just sent the dog running through the streets which is not a good situation.

Valiant
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
It's called self defense. Look it up.

Yeah, aggrivating an animal to get it to attack you is self defense.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, aggrivating an animal to get it to attack you is self defense.

Trying to subdue the dog with pepper spray is not the same as provoking it to attack you. But be sure to flip it anyway you wish. It was a dog with a history of attacks on humans. Excuse me while I don't shed a tear for the dog because it lashed out at someone off camera and then charged the cops who ended up shooting it.

fan4ever
08-16-2012, 10:48 PM
nightstick...tazer? Kick to the chops???

I've seen footage of Pit Bulls being hit by 2 x 4's to get them off of someone; unfazed...tazer...pretty hard to hit a swiftly moving target...kick to the chops...maybe Bruce Lee...

I think you're being really unrealistic, and had it been your butt on the line, or someone you cared about, I really think you'd fell less sorry for the dog.

mikey23545
08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
What's that, Lassie? You trying to tell us your owner's an alcoholic bum who just drank a can of Sterno and is choking to death on his own vomit, but you want the cops to stand around and watch until he dies?

Good girl!

Aries Walker
08-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Anyone here who's ever tried to land an effective slow, clumsy, human kick to a fast, aggressive, low-to-the-ground dog should know that it's a complete farce if attempted. Using a nightstick against one is an invitation to have your throat forcibly removed from your neck. Even one a quarter of your size is nothing to mess with.

So considering that it's not really feasible for NYC cops to carry around spears, tridents, military forks, man-catchers, or gigantic butterfly nets - which would work, with training - probably the best thing they can use is the kind of taser which launches the darts into the target, and even then I'd suggest backup. A Running Man-style weighted-net launcher would probably also do the trick. Failing all of that, yeah, guns.

I'm mostly glad Star and Stankiewicz both lived.