PDA

View Full Version : Computers Help Me pick a cheap, used Desktop

Detoxing
08-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Im looking at two desktops (just to give my laptops a rest) on CL that fit right about what i want to spend, which is no more than $200.00, though i can't decide which would be the better buy.

One is a Dell Inspiron 570, seller claims that it's new out of the box, about a month old, is selling it because he has no use for it. It's running Windows 7, a Shitty AMD Sempron Single Core and only 2GB of Ram, 500GB HD, integrated graphics.

Second One is another Dell Inspiron, a 530 series but it's about 3 years older. It's running on Windows XP, with an Intel Q6600 Core 2 duo Quad, 4GB of Ram, 500GB HD and a kinda shitty Radeon HD3450 dedicated card.

So im a bit torn here. I like the 570 because it's running W7 and i can easily upgrade the Ram to something usable. But a single Core Processor in 2012? Really? I'd end up sepnding another $100.00 to upgrade the processor, plus the $20 for the ram, and probably another $100 at some point on a dedicated card

I like the 530 because it already has a dual core processor and 4gigs of Ram, but at some point i'd need to update the OS so i can run more Ram and a new Dedicated card, still costing me money.

What do you guys think?

Fish
08-16-2012, 07:18 PM
You can't really upgrade the processor without updating the motherboard as well. Which also means updating RAM.

THE 530 sound like a better system.

Detoxing
08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
You can't really upgrade the processor without updating the motherboard as well. Which also means updating RAM.

THE 530 sound like a better system.

The 570 Is already running DDR3, im not sure of the architecture of the Sempron 150, but i figured since it's only a month old that the board would be suited for an AMD dual core?

i agree though, im leaning towards the 530. The only thing that bums me out about it is the limited Windows XP.

Also, do you know if these newer cards will run with XP?

Fish
08-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Actually... I just looked, and you could put a Phenom II quad core in that 570. That would be quite a CPU upgrade. And then just add RAM. I didn't think it would support that.

Maybe you should go that route. The Phenom wouldn't be very expensive and would be much better performance.

Check it...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp560mt/en/cs/cs_en.pdf

Detoxing
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Actually... I just looked, and you could put a Phenom II quad core in that 570. That would be quite a CPU upgrade. And then just add RAM. I didn't think it would support that.

Maybe you should go that route. The Phenom wouldn't be very expensive and would be much better performance.

Check it...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp560mt/en/cs/cs_en.pdf

Nice

mdstu
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Seems to me that by the time you buy the system and upgrade the CPU and RAM, you could build a new system for the same price or cheaper.
Especially if you live near a MicroCenter. They have some pretty awesome AMD CPU/Motherboard combos.