PDA

View Full Version : Misc Free Personal Finance Software

Huffmeister
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know of any good personal finance software? Something like Quicken, but free. I've heard people recommend Mint.com, so I was going to check that out. But I also wanted to see if anyone else had recommendations.

I'm mostly wanting to do expense tracking right now, and then use that to form a budget and financial goals.

Buehler445
08-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Spend the money on Quickbooks.

Probably the best thing I would know to do for free would be on a spreadsheet. That'd probably be easiest.

QuikSsurfer
08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I've used Mint.com for the last few years -- Love it.

Bearcat
08-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm mostly wanting to do expense tracking right now, and then use that to form a budget and financial goals.

You can setup all of that with mint. I had my own spreadsheet for a few years, but the nice thing about mint is that it automatically pulls in transactions from your bank account and credit cards and will categorize everything for you... you can create a budget and setup financial goals, and you can create charts and graphs that show your historical spending per month, by category, etc.

Buehler445
08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
You can setup all of that with mint. I had my own spreadsheet for a few years, but the nice thing about mint is that it automatically pulls in transactions from your bank account and credit cards and will categorize everything for you... you can create a budget and setup financial goals, and you can create charts and graphs that show your historical spending per month, by category, etc.

So how does that work? How does it know what you bought at Wal-Mart? Because from a budgetary standpoint, there is a significant difference between buying groceries and DVDs.

Realistically, pulling stuff automatically is great, but I don't see how you can get away from reconciling with your receipts.

Bearcat
08-17-2012, 04:25 PM
So how does that work? How does it know what you bought at Wal-Mart? Because from a budgetary standpoint, there is a significant difference between buying groceries and DVDs.

Realistically, pulling stuff automatically is great, but I don't see how you can get away from reconciling with your receipts.

It can't break it down that much, but it will automatically put all restaurants into a category, all gas stations, etc. There's still some manual work for places like WalMart, but the nice thing is you can easily split transactions and re-categorize things. You can also create your own categories and setup rules to always send certain transactions to a specific category.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Excel (Calc on open office)