PDA

View Full Version : Football 297Lb Boy barred from Playing Peewee Football for being too big

Deberg_1990
08-17-2012, 12:46 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/league-texas-boy-big-play-peewee-football-17023137

A suburban Dallas boy has been barred from playing peewee football because the league says he is just too big at nearly 300 pounds.

Mesquite Pee Wee Football Association President Ronnie Henderson said the rules are clear and 12-year-old Elijah Earnheart is not eligible. The 6-foot-1-inch boy exceeds the 135-pound limit for seventh-graders, and he got the bad news last Sunday when the league held its official weigh-in.

Henderson said he asked Elijah whether he was in sixth or seventh grade, then told him "no need going" any further.

Cindy Earnheart, the boy's mother, said she was incensed and Elijah was humiliated.

"They would not even let him weigh in on the scales like every single boy out there," she said. "He might be the size of a grown man but he's 12 years old and he has feelings, too."

Elijah, who describes himself as a "gentle giant" and dreams of someday playing pro football, said the turn of events was unfair.

"I'm not sad, I'm mad that I don't get to play," Elijah said. "I've been practicing for three weeks."

Henderson said three other boys were turned away that day because of safety concerns for other players.

AP Photo/LM OteroTwelve-year-old Elijah Earnheart, left, looks... View Full Size AP Photo/LM OteroTwelve-year-old Elijah Earnheart, left, looks on as his mom Cindy Earnheart takes a phone call from his football coach outside his home in Mesquite, Texas, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012.
"We've got little boys that play against him that are 85, 95 and 100 pounds," Henderson said. "We have to look out for all the kids, not just him."

Cindy Earnheart said her son was feeling self-conscious about his size until he discovered peewee football. His barber happened to coach a team, the Mesquite Vikings, and suggested the boy join. Coach Marc Wright said a passage in the rulebook seemed to indicate that youths who weigh more than 135 pounds could play, but only on the offensive or defensive line.

At his physical last month, Elijah's doctor said he weighed 297 pounds and stood 6-feet-1 inches tall. His mother said they special-ordered his helmet, shoulder pads, pants and jersey because of his size, which she said is hereditary in her family.

Elijah took the practice field, looming over boys more than half his size, and was thrilled..

When he's playing football Elijah said, "I feel energetic. I feel happy."

He practiced with the Vikings for three weeks and even took part in a scrimmage. Then came the weigh-in.

Henderson said the exception in the rulebook was meant for sixth-graders who can weigh as much as 160 pounds. He suggested Elijah play for his middle school team, but the boy doesn't have much football experience and was hoping to feel his way in peewee first.

Cindy Earnheart said barring her son was discrimination.

"No one is telling boys who are too thin or too small that they can't play football," she said. "Why tell my kid he's too big?

She added: "Isn't bigger better in football? Football is a contact sport. If you don't want your son tackled, get him off the field."

Demonpenz
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
play freshman football?

Donger
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/14/56/62/3337354/3/628x471.jpg

Donger
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/56/62/3337351/3/628x471.jpg

Sofa King
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Does he still get his participation trophy?

KCUnited
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
So the kid is 162 pounds over the weight limit and the mom is upset they wouldn't let him weigh in?? What were they supposed to do, let him get on the scale and be like "shoot son, just missed it."

mcaj22
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
so what if he is as green as grass and raw

why would the boy NOT be playing middle school ball to gain experience. It's not like hes going from peewee to varisty. Why try putting your big kid in the small pond so you can feel better about yourself that your kid is dominating. Put him with other big kids and let him earn it.

gblowfish
Give him 30 carries a game!

ThaVirus
More than twice the weight of the cutoff? That is a bit much. Can't say I disagree for safety's sake. Not to mention he could play for the middle school. Its not like he can't play football, just not in that league.

Move on.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
he could literally crush some little guys

maybe he should look to step up to a higher league?

Braincase
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
My son is 6th grade, 5'4", 144 lbs., and has been playing tackle football since 2nd grade, and he would be too big for this program. Horsepucky. This young man needs to start at the entry level because he's never played before. I've seen kids a lot bigger than my boy try to start in 6th grade/7th grade and quit because they have never been taught the fundamentals and aren't ready for the collisions. Somebody ought to give the kid a chance. Ironic this is taking place in Texas.

I'd tell the running backs, "See that big guy right there? Yeah... run away from him."

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 12:57 PM
SIGN HIM!!!

listopencil
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
The kid is too big. End of story. There are upper and lower weight limits for the safety of the players, who are children. I don't know about the league rules of that particular organization but around here you have to let a kid participate in practice up until the first weigh in. The mom is an idiot.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Let him play.

listopencil
08-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Let him play.

That would be dangerous and stupid.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:08 PM
he could literally crush some little guys

maybe he should look to step up to a higher league?

Some kid with no fear will level the big man, and he'll quit. He needs to learn fundamentals. This kid has most likely been told his whole life not to hurt anybody, be careful around the smaller kids. He's mentally and physically unprepared for a middle school program, despite the fact he's so much bigger than everybody else. I bet he's a lot more teddy than kodiak.

jidar
08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Some kid with no fear will level the big man, and he'll quit. He needs to learn fundamentals. This kid has most likely been told his whole life not to hurt anybody, be careful around the smaller kids. He's mentally and physically unprepared for a middle school program, despite the fact he's so much bigger than everybody else. I bet he's a lot more teddy than kodiak.

You're making a lot more assumptions to support your argument than the people who are say he should just step up a level.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Yeah.... No. No kid that age is going to lay a 297 lb kid out. Even if the kid had the nuts the size of tennis balls. Not going to happen.

Braincase
The kid is too big. End of story. There are upper and lower weight limits for the safety of the players, who are children. I don't know about the league rules of that particular organization but around here you have to let a kid participate in practice up until the first weigh in. The mom is an idiot.

I disagree. Football isn't for everybody. I say put him on the field, and if you don't want to run into him, run away. I'd love to see the kid play just to watch kids avoid him.

Braincase
Yeah.... No. No kid that age is going to lay a 297 lb kid out. Even if the kid had the nuts the size of tennis balls. Not going to happen.

You just proved you know nothing about the physics of football.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM

You are a ****ing idiot if you can even think that.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
12 yr old kids average between 90-130 lbs. 90-130 lbs vs 297 lbs. You are a complete retard if you think that kid is getting layed out. Def by kids new to the game of football. So cleary YOU proved to know nothing about the physics of football.

Mr. Plow
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
My son is 6th grade, 5'4", 144 lbs., and has been playing tackle football since 2nd grade, and he would be too big for this program. Horsepucky. This young man needs to start at the entry level because he's never played before. I've seen kids a lot bigger than my boy try to start in 6th grade/7th grade and quit because they have never been taught the fundamentals and aren't ready for the collisions. Somebody ought to give the kid a chance. Ironic this is taking place in Texas.

I'd tell the running backs, "See that big guy right there? Yeah... run away from him."

God they start tackle early nowadays.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2012, 01:18 PM

It was 5th and 6th grade when I was little boy and that was along time ago. lol

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
You are a ****ing idiot if you can even think that.

I coach youth football. I've seen a 57 lb. kid with a full head of steam blow up a lineman that weighed 177 lbs.

Any kid standing in one place while a smaller kid moving at a good clip hits him is going down. I'm 310 lbs, and I have kids knock me on my ass everyday in practice. You don't believe me? Sunflower Elementary school in Lawrence, 6-8 PM T/W/Th nights. Grab a tackling dummy. I have about half a dozen kids that will put you on your ass.

mikey23545
08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
If that heifer of a mother of his had any brains she'd realize why those rules exist, and that her tub of lard is being banned as a safety precaution.

And if that kid ever hopes to grow into any kind of a man, he'd quit wanting to play against 12 year old boys less than half his size and look for a real challenge - like outeating his momasaurus.

Donger
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

The physics of football?

Mr. Plow
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
It was 5th and 6th grade when I was little boy and that was along time ago. lol

Here in South Central KS, we had flag football up through 6th grade. No option of tackle. We should be seeing preschool tackle football teams before long.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
I coach youth football. I've seen a 57 lb. kid with a full head of steam blow up a lineman that weighed 177 lbs.

Any kid standing in one place while a smaller kid moving at a good clip hits him is going down. I'm 310 lbs, and I have kids knock me on my ass everyday in practice. You don't believe me? Sunflower Elementary school in Lawrence, 6-8 PM T/W/Th nights. Grab a tackling dummy. I have about half a dozen kids that will put you on your ass.

Yeah, I doubt it.

Donger
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Yeah, it really isn't that hard to figure out: F=MA. Newton's second.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM

We started in 2nd grade, and one of players started in 1st.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I doubt it.

Far be it from me to doubt your ability against an 11 year old.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Far be it from me to doubt your ability against an 11 year old.

I'm 15. 130 lb QB/CB. Have your 11 yr old kids travel up to Manly, IA.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:27 PM

LOL.

Now I know.

My 11 year old is 144 lbs. C/DT. I'll wait for you to catch him. You're smaller than 6 of the boys on my team, and you don't think one of 'em could knock you over with you holding a tackling dummy? Son, you need to get back on the bench.

mcaj22
08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Simplicity is 100 percent right

having played football myself. I can remember it being impossible at 10, 11, 12 years old to move any kid that was a big body. It wasn't until high school that you were actually able to see fundamentals mixed in with emotion and testosterone that a 150 lb kid can level a 280 lb dude.

Part of it makes me think that kids this small arent even passed puberty yet. The hormonal and testosterone drive isnt there to be able to even budge a kid that is 297 lbs.

No matter how raw this kid is, he is still a big body. It's no different than recruiting the 6'5 12 year old to play basketball in middle school and the only thing he knows is how to play the trumpet. You stick him in the middle and he still contests shots.

mr. tegu
08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
My son is 6th grade, 5'4", 144 lbs., and has been playing tackle football since 2nd grade, and he would be too big for this program. Horsepucky.

No they said an exception exists for up to 160 lbs so yours could play. And I am sure if enough of a fit was thrown 170 lbs or so would be fine too.

This kid isn't just a tad over the weight limit. He is literally twice the size of most of the kids that would be playing. If they let this kid play and someone gets hurt because of his size, then the league and everyone that let it happen would be screwed big time.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Simplicity is 100 percent right

having played football myself. I can remember it being impossible at 10, 11, 12 years old to move any kid that was a big body. It wasn't until high school that you were actually able to see fundamentals mixed in with emotion and testosterone that a 150 lb kid can level a 280 lb dude.

Part of it makes me think that kids this small arent even passed puberty yet. The hormonal and testosterone drive isnt there to be able to even budge a kid that is 297 lbs.

No matter how raw this kid is, he is still a big body. It's no different than recruiting the 6'5 12 year old to play basketball in middle school and the only thing he knows is how to play the trumpet. You stick him in the middle and he still contests shots.

There you go Braincase, SYOD. and btw your 144 lb 11yr old ain't shit.

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 01:33 PM

As an aside, Manly is a great name for a town.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
As an aside, Manly is a great name for a town.

It is.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
There you go Braincase, SYOD. and btw your 144 lb 11yr old ain't shit.

You crack me up. I'll just leave you alone now, or else you'll have to explain to your coach why you're crying.

Demonpenz
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend AND 1

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
You crack me up. I'll just leave you alone now, or else you'll have to explain to your coach why you're crying.

I'm gonna have to say... That was probably the gheyest post I've seen all day. and I read a bunch of Clay's post today.

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
It is.

Please tell me that your football team's name is the Men.

Simplicity
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Please tell me that your football team's name is the Men.

Central Springs Panthers :( We are combined with a couple towns so unfortunetely no. Although that would be pretty sweet.

Fish
08-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Whooa. Whooa... Wait.... 15? As in age, not IQ?

Dave Lane
08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Outrage of the day thread!! Not sure what is up with all these. Life is unfair. Get over it.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm gonna have to say... That was probably the gheyest post I've seen all day. and I read a bunch of Clay's post today.

Puberty smaque at its finest.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
It's probably for the huge kids safety as much as it is for anyone elses.

BigChiefTablet
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Here in South Central KS, we had flag football up through 6th grade. No option of tackle. We should be seeing preschool tackle football teams before long.

I live in South Central KS, and I started playing tackle football in the first grade. I'm 45 now, so this was in the 70's.

qabbaan
08-17-2012, 01:59 PM
If that kid fell on a a normal 180 pound adult you are going to see someone hurt, if he falls on a typical 12 year old you are going to have a serious injury. I understand the decision.

He would look like Galactus out there anyway, do people think he is going to develop by smashing around kids 1/4 his size?

Mr. Plow
08-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I live in South Central KS, and I started playing tackle football in the first grade. I'm 45 now, so this was in the 70's.

Not sure what to tell you. Hutch has always been a bit different I guess. In just the last two years or so they moved it from 4th grade to 1st/2nd grade as to when kids can start playing tackle football.

RUSH
08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
This story makes me sick. He has another option here and that's to play school ball. I don't see the big fuss.

I don't want to play middle school ball because I don't have much experience and want to feel my way into the sport wahhhhhh, so let me play with kids half my size. I know he's a kid but Christ the mother needs to take the diapers off instead of running to the media.

He's fucking 6'1 300. You don't need an introductory period, you're already going to be the biggest kid on the middle school team. Play middle school ball like every other big kid that couldn't play pop warner due to size. The weight limits have always been there.

How this story garnered any attention is beyond me.

barry_smilez20
08-17-2012, 02:06 PM

lol. wow you're a loser

BigRedChief
08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
My son had to play football with kids 2-3 years older than he was because of his size. Isn't this SOP?

BigChiefTablet
08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
This story makes me sick. He has another option here and that's to play school ball. I don't see the big fuss.

I don't want to play middle school ball because I don't have much experience and want to feel my way into the sport wahhhhhh, so let me play with kids half my size. I know he's a kid but Christ the mother needs to take the diapers off instead of running to the media.

He's ****ing 6'1 300. You don't need an introductory period, you're already going to be the biggest kid on the middle school team. Play middle school ball like every other big kid that couldn't play pop warner due to size. The weight limits have always been there.

How this story garnered any attention is beyond me.

This. Kid would weigh more than double the next biggest kid in the league if they let him play. Probably would still be the biggest kid on the middle school team. Lack of previous football experience is no excuse for being a pussy.

listopencil
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I disagree. Football isn't for everybody. I say put him on the field, and if you don't want to run into him, run away. I'd love to see the kid play just to watch kids avoid him.

Well, yeah, it's funny to see the big kids banging around out there, but there is a limit. And it is true that a lot of big kids just lack the killer instinct. They've been preached at their whole lives that they have to be extra careful not to hurt other kids their own age. But size is absolutely one of major determining factors in Pop Warner football. You could put him on the interior of either line and he'll make an impact just by getting in the way on D or moving the LOS on O. And when he ends up on the pile at the end of every play, someone is going to get hurt. Our local team has a normal max of 195 and an extra team max of 225. And those are some fucking huge eighth graders when you are talking about floating at around 200 in football shape.

Rain Man
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
When I was in 7th grade, we did wrestling and every boy in the school had to weigh in and get classified into categories. We had the preliminary bouts in gym class and the winners in each category then went into a schoolwide tournament that happened at lunch or before school or something.

At the time, I weighed 102 pounds. The smallest kid was under 70 pounds, and the second-biggest kid was about 170. I think any kid over about 150 went into the superheavyweight category. Then we had the biggest guy in the school, Terry, who came in at 223. They put him into the superheavyweight category, so he was taking on guys as small as 150.

The catch is that he was tall, but he was fat. All blubber. And a lot of the guys in the 150 to 170 range were kids who were developing early, so they were typically strong and athletic. He was in my gym class and got matched up with a guy named Lewis because they were the only two superheavyweights in my particular class. Lewis was the first kid in our class to huff gasoline and for some reason he was a big pile of muscle. He had pecs in 7th grade and won the weightlifting competitions and he was a big, aggressive guy. The funny thing, though, was that when they wrestled he couldn't really move Terry around. Terry was immobile, but he was also immovable. Lewis won, but we were expecting it to be ugly and it was actually relatively even.

I don't know why I shared that, but I did. I felt compelled to tell the story.

Death2CasselFans
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM
……..…....//)…...…....(\`\
………….../….//………..…...\\….\
………..../….//………… ..…..\\...\
…...//…./\…......../ `\…..\`\
.././…/…./…./.|_…..._| .\….\…..\.\.\..
(.(….(….(…./.)..)....(..(...\….)...)…).)
.\……………..\/…/…....\..\/…………….../
..\………….….. /…….....\……….…….../
….\…………....(………. ...)………....../

vailpass
08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
If that heifer of a mother of his had any brains she'd realize why those rules exist, and that her tub of lard is being banned as a safety precaution.

And if that kid ever hopes to grow into any kind of a man, he'd quit wanting to play against 12 year old boys less than half his size and look for a real challenge - like outeating his momasaurus.

LMAO

DJ's left nut
08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

This.

If it's "his dream" to play football, grow a pair and go play against the kids your own size. He's not banned from organized football, he's been told that he has to play in the middle-school league; that's it.

You want to talk about a learning curve? That's where he'll get it. He'll learn to play quickly or he'll just get bulldozed. And you know what, he'll still be the biggest sumbitch on the block.

This mom is an idiot. If she had a smaller child and a 300 lb freak of nature broke him in two playing peewee, she'd be the same loud-mouthed twat she is now. There's no logic or consistency to her position, she just wants her kid to play.

vailpass
08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
This.

If it's "his dream" to play football, grow a pair and go play against the kids your own size. He's not banned from organized football, he's been told that he has to play in the middle-school league; that's it.

You want to talk about a learning curve? That's where he'll get it. He'll learn to play quickly or he'll just get bulldozed. And you know what, he'll still be the biggest sumbitch on the block.

This mom is an idiot. If she had a smaller child and a 300 lb freak of nature broke him in two playing peewee, she'd be the same loud-mouthed twat she is now. There's no logic or consistency to her position, she just wants her kid to play.

Yep.

Rukdafaidas
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
My boy is 12 and plays football. The only weight rule they have is that you can't run be a ball carrier if you're over 125 lbs.
We have one kid on the line that's 216 lbs and he's not timid. He blows kids up, even in practice. Very few kids will line up against him more than once. I can't imagine these kids playing against a boy that's 80 lbs bigger than him.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
lol. wow you're a loser

And you probably don't have kids. Or coach kids. Or have any idea about any aspect about who I am or what I've experienced in my life other than what you've read in one or two posts.

Feel free to help yourself to a great big cup of shut the fuck up.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 08:09 PM
My boy is 12 and plays football. The only weight rule they have is that you can't run be a ball carrier if you're over 125 lbs.
We have one kid on the line that's 216 lbs and he's not timid. He blows kids up, even in practice. Very few kids will line up against him more than once. I can't imagine these kids playing against a boy that's 80 lbs bigger than him.

Do you going to pull him out of games to protect the other kids on the field?

Setsuna
08-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Thank goodness he wasn't allowed to play. If he injured a kid, that would definitely screw up his psyche. His mom is really irresponsible.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Thank goodness he wasn't allowed to play. If he injured a kid, that would definitely screw up his psyche. His mom is really irresponsible.

Yeah, because telling him he's a freak, too big, not normal, off the scale, a mutant, a genetic aberration won't have any adverse effects.

Our society is filled with such hypocrisy. We take the weak, lesser-abled, crippled, handicapped, what have you, and we embrace them in society, create laws to protect their egos, create laws to protect their access, then pat ourselves on the backs and root for Oscar Pastorius in the Olympics then talk about what a great society we have where he can compete.

But take a kid with superior size and superior ability, and now we all go oooooh, better not let him play. He's a freak, he's too big, he has too much ability. Everybody is so afraid of what he might do, hurting their kids.

Here's a clue parents. Keep your kids at home that day. Tell them they can't compete with that kid. Tell them it's for their own protection. Tell them he's a monster, a freak. He ate the neighbor's baby.

You don't want to get hurt by him? Take a knee. Run to the sideline. Throw the ball out of bounds. Run away. But don't tell this kid he can't play because GOD MADE A MISTAKE.

So many guys on this board talk about the pussification of the American male. Right now, here, in this thread is the endorsement.

It's football people. It's not tiddlywinks. It's not bowling. It's not invisible jumprope. Kids are going to get bruised and dinged up. That's the nature of the game. Some kids are going to be better at blocking, tackling, running and throwing than others.

I haven't seen a single story about banning the kid that's too fast. I haven't seen a single story about banning the kid that throws a touchdown every play. But the kid that's too big - nope, he's a genetic mutant, might not even be human. Can't play.

We beg and scream for equality everyday... well, here you go. Here's your opportunity to tell a 12 year old kid he's just one of the guys.

And you failed.

Pussies.

And yes, I've been drinking. But I try to put myself in the position if this kid's father, this kid's coach. He didn't choose to be this big. He's not the problem. Your attitude is. Let the kids play.

Marcellus
08-17-2012, 08:51 PM
LMAO
LMAO LMAO ROFL ROFLROFL

I am going to laugh about this for about 2 days. Clay getting side slammed by a 15 year old. LMAO

Braincase
08-17-2012, 08:54 PM
LMAO
LMAO LMAO ROFL ROFLROFL

I am going to laugh about this for about 2 days. Clay getting side slammed by a 15 year old. LMAO

And a 15 year old ready to man-up and take on an 11 year old t'boot. That's a man talking there!

Marcellus
08-17-2012, 08:56 PM
And a 15 year old ready to man-up and take on an 11 year old t'boot. That's a man talking there!

You are taking this too seriously. And the Clay comment is damn funny.

KC Tattoo
08-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Bring him in for a look?

Q?

mr. tegu
08-17-2012, 09:07 PM
But take a kid with superior size and superior ability, and now we all go oooooh, better not let him play. He's a freak, he's too big, he has too much ability. Everybody is so afraid of what he might do, hurting their kids.

This kid doesn't have superior ability. If he did it wouldn't be a problem and would just play in the middle school. If this kid has always been so big, why hasn't he been playing football all this time? It's Texas for crying out loud. Football is king there.

And yes, I've been drinking. But I try to put myself in the position if this kid's father, this kid's coach. He didn't choose to be this big. He's not the problem. Your attitude is. Let the kids play.

Why don't you try putting yourself in the position of the parents whose 110 lb kid gets their spine or other body parts crushed by 300 lbs. You know what you would do? It might involve suing the league or the other parent for breaking a well established rule and unnecessarily endangering other children.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
This kid doesn't have superior ability. If he did it wouldn't be a problem and would just play in the middle school. If this kid has always been so big, why hasn't he been playing football all this time? It's Texas for crying out loud. Football is king there.

Why don't you try putting yourself in the position of the parents whose 110 lb kid gets their spine or other body parts crushed by 300 lbs. You know what you would do? It might involve suing the league or the other parent for breaking a well established rule and unnecessarily endangering other children.

By all means, sacrifice one for the betterment of the village. You want to gut him, or go traditional kosher kill?

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Why don't you try putting yourself in the position of the parents whose 110 lb kid gets their spine or other body parts crushed by 300 lbs. You know what you would do?

Chop block? :shrug:

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2012, 09:16 PM
By all means, sacrifice one for the betterment of the village. You want to gut him, or go traditional kosher kill?

Now that's the Braincase I miss.

mr. tegu
08-17-2012, 09:19 PM

It's funny you are taking about pussification but YOU are one throwing a fit for this kid so he doesn't feel a little sad. You don't want boys to be soft and wusses but YOU don't want him to play against larger competition. Those are conflicting interests. Have him play in the middle school program with a little bit larger kids if you are so concerned with not creating pussies.

Braincase
08-17-2012, 09:35 PM
It's funny you are taking about pussification but YOU are one throwing a fit for this kid so he doesn't feel a little sad. You don't want boys to be soft and wusses but YOU don't want him to play against larger competition. Those are conflicting interests. Have him play in the middle school program with a little bit larger kids if you are so concerned with not creating pussies.

Do you have no comprehension of the difference between age and ability? It's his first freakin' year of playing football. He doesn't know how to hit safely. He doesn't know how to block safely. He doesn't know how to tackle safely. He needs to learn that among his peers in his own age group. He needs to feel like he's just like everybody else.

Have you ever been thrown into an older group? Have you any idea about the stigmatism that goes with a kid that gets singled out for special treatment?

mr. tegu
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Do you have no comprehension of the difference between age and ability? It's his first freakin' year of playing football. He doesn't know how to hit safely. He doesn't know how to block safely. He doesn't know how to tackle safely. He needs to learn that among his peers in his own age group. He needs to feel like he's just like everybody else.

ROFL He doesn't know how to play the game safely so lets put him up against kids that are at most half his size and some will be a third his size! U IS GENIOUS! The learning curve will not be that extreme to where he can't fit in with the middle school team. He will feel much better about himself playing against closer to his size or slightly older kids than he will playing against 100 lb kids.

Regarding the bold part, you keep contradicting yourself. You don't want the little kids he would play against to be treated like babies. But you want this kid to be given special treatment so he doesn't feel a little bad. Besides, given he has never played before, I would guess he really has never been that interested in football anyways.

Have you any idea about the stigmatism that goes with a kid that gets singled out for special treatment?

More than you I would venture to guess. Also, is he not getting singled out and receiving special treatment if he were to be allowed to play? Me thinks yes.

MOhillbilly
08-17-2012, 10:33 PM
What a freak.

listopencil
08-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Goofy-ass rant

So when are you going to arrange that game between the kindergartners and the High Schoolers?

Braincase
08-18-2012, 08:22 AM
So when are you going to arrange that game between the kindergartners and the High Schoolers?

You are complete and total dumbass completely missing the point of my argument. He should be able to play with kids his own age, and learn the game with them.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Let him walk on at KU

BoneKrusher
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/56/62/3337351/3/628x471.jpg

holy Son-Of-Shaq

listopencil
08-18-2012, 11:25 AM
You are complete and total dumbass completely missing the point of my argument. He should be able to play with kids his own age, and learn the game with them.

No, I am bringing your dumbass argument to its illogical conclusion.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
08-18-2012, 11:30 AM

The rules clearly state that you should be playing in Boyly.

Valiant
08-18-2012, 11:38 AM
What fundamentals is a kid weighing 297lbs going to learn in peewee against 90-135lb kids?? Only thing he could do is Oline or Dline and then just stand there push kids a 3rd of his size around..

He would be better off in middleschool with the coaches(knowing/know) he does not know anything about football. He can be taught fundamentals there against people closer to his size and his age..

And why is the mom pissed now all of a sudden?? Bitch, why didn't he play the years before if you are so worried??

Only reason why he is crying is he wants to play with his friends because they are now playing football..

Valiant
08-18-2012, 11:39 AM
The rules clearly state that you should be playing in Boyly.

I get it, somewhat amusing.. But you should of added ,IA after it..

Braincase
08-18-2012, 01:16 PM
No, I am bringing your dumbass argument to its illogical conclusion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Someday, after you get your testicles descend, you'll understand my argument. In the meantime, the we-don't-keep-track-of-scoring pre-school soccer thread if over there (http://voices.yahoo.com/coaching-preschool-soccer-44651.html).

Big Smoke
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
My kid is tougher than your kid.

Tombstone RJ
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/league-texas-boy-big-play-peewee-football-17023137

A suburban Dallas boy has been barred from playing peewee football because the league says he is just too big at nearly 300 pounds.

Mesquite Pee Wee Football Association President Ronnie Henderson said the rules are clear and 12-year-old Elijah Earnheart is not eligible. The 6-foot-1-inch boy exceeds the 135-pound limit for seventh-graders, and he got the bad news last Sunday when the league held its official weigh-in.

Henderson said he asked Elijah whether he was in sixth or seventh grade, then told him "no need going" any further.

Cindy Earnheart, the boy's mother, said she was incensed and Elijah was humiliated.

"They would not even let him weigh in on the scales like every single boy out there," she said. "He might be the size of a grown man but he's 12 years old and he has feelings, too."

Elijah, who describes himself as a "gentle giant" and dreams of someday playing pro football, said the turn of events was unfair.

"I'm not sad, I'm mad that I don't get to play," Elijah said. "I've been practicing for three weeks."

Henderson said three other boys were turned away that day because of safety concerns for other players.

AP Photo/LM OteroTwelve-year-old Elijah Earnheart, left, looks... View Full Size AP Photo/LM OteroTwelve-year-old Elijah Earnheart, left, looks on as his mom Cindy Earnheart takes a phone call from his football coach outside his home in Mesquite, Texas, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012.
"We've got little boys that play against him that are 85, 95 and 100 pounds," Henderson said. "We have to look out for all the kids, not just him."

Cindy Earnheart said her son was feeling self-conscious about his size until he discovered peewee football. His barber happened to coach a team, the Mesquite Vikings, and suggested the boy join. Coach Marc Wright said a passage in the rulebook seemed to indicate that youths who weigh more than 135 pounds could play, but only on the offensive or defensive line.

At his physical last month, Elijah's doctor said he weighed 297 pounds and stood 6-feet-1 inches tall. His mother said they special-ordered his helmet, shoulder pads, pants and jersey because of his size, which she said is hereditary in her family.

Elijah took the practice field, looming over boys more than half his size, and was thrilled..

When he's playing football Elijah said, "I feel energetic. I feel happy."

He practiced with the Vikings for three weeks and even took part in a scrimmage. Then came the weigh-in.

Henderson said the exception in the rulebook was meant for sixth-graders who can weigh as much as 160 pounds. He suggested Elijah play for his middle school team, but the boy doesn't have much football experience and was hoping to feel his way in peewee first.

Cindy Earnheart said barring her son was discrimination.

"No one is telling boys who are too thin or too small that they can't play football," she said. "Why tell my kid he's too big?

She added: "Isn't bigger better in football? Football is a contact sport. If you don't want your son tackled, get him off the field."

some one needs to shut Cindy the whiney mom up. Your boy is too big, deal with it.

Either make him lose a lot of weight or play jr. high football or something.

DJ's left nut
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
A person that purports to coach football is arguing in favor of teaching a 300 lb kid fundamentals by having him throw around people half his size?

How often have we seen college kids that are able to dominate physically inferior opponents get tossed around in the pros because they didn't learn how to actually play the game? It happens all the time - guys that are that much more physically imposing than their opponents don't learn a damn thing.

Moreover, he is playing against kids his own age. The middle school league has kids that are a whopping 1 year older than him. And are you really going to try to say that there's not a single kid at that level that's never played before? That this kid is the only kid that's going to show up in August raw?

The pussification is the people telling a 300 lb behemoth that he should get to toss around people half his size for the sake of his psyche. Why? Oh because he's new and we don't want him to get his feelings hurt.

Give me a goddamn break. Rules are rules - you knew them. You ignored them. Shut the fuck up and play with people your own size (many of whom are absolutely as raw as he is).

Lzen
08-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Braincase,
You a good guy and I normally agree with your takes but I gotta say that you're wrong this time. I understand that its tough for a kid like that. But I think it would be a major safety issue for peewee football. All that would have to happen is this kid falls over someone in a pile and all of a sudden a 90lb kid is seriously injured.

Braincase
08-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Have any of you ever kept a kid off the field because you thought he was too small, too slow, too uncoordinated because you knew he would get hurt? You keep kids off the field when you think they are going to get hurt. It's football people. Kids are going to get bruised up. You want to protect the kids on the field? Run the other way. Take a knee. Keep them off the field. You want to protect your kids from football? Don't let 'em play.

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 05:10 PM
A person that purports to coach football is arguing in favor of teaching a 300 lb kid fundamentals by having him throw around people half his size?

How often have we seen college kids that are able to dominate physically inferior opponents get tossed around in the pros because they didn't learn how to actually play the game? It happens all the time - guys that are that much more physically imposing than their opponents don't learn a damn thing.

Moreover, he is playing against kids his own age. The middle school league has kids that are a whopping 1 year older than him. And are you really going to try to say that there's not a single kid at that level that's never played before? That this kid is the only kid that's going to show up in August raw?

The pussification is the people telling a 300 lb behemoth that he should get to toss around people half his size for the sake of his psyche. Why? Oh because he's new and we don't want him to get his feelings hurt.

Give me a goddamn break. Rules are rules - you knew them. You ignored them. Shut the fuck up and play with people your own size (many of whom are absolutely as raw as he is).

I agree and well put. You saved me a lot of typing :thumb:

listopencil
08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Someday, after you get your testicles descend, you'll understand my argument. In the meantime, the we-don't-keep-track-of-scoring pre-school soccer thread if over there (http://voices.yahoo.com/coaching-preschool-soccer-44651.html).

Someday, after you pull your gigantic head out of your ass, you will understand that age is not the primary determining factor in deciding who gets to play and who doesn't get to play youth football prior to High School. That's why in my town you can see 10,11,12,13 and 14 year old children on the same team. Yet they all have to make weight or they don't get to play. Because size, as determined by weight, is the primary determining factor in who gets to play. So drop your boy crush on the 300 pounder. He's not going to come play for you.

Braincase
08-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Taking everybody's comments into consideration, I decided to call my brother-in-law. My nephew's best friend, Keith, is 12 years old. Keith is about 5'10", 250# plus. I brought up this story about the Texas kid, and he had read about it. I asked if anybody in good ol' Clay Center, Kansas, right in the heart of K-State country, had ever complained or worried about Keith playing football. He told me, "No, it's never really come up. It's football."

(My BIL had played college football at Emporia State as a linebacker.)

I asked how opposing teams dealt with Keith. He said they run around him.

So, maybe I'm wrong, but apparently folks around the K-State area are made of a little saltier stuff than folks down in Texas.

What do I know anyway, I'm a KU fan.

DanT
08-18-2012, 11:42 PM
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention publishes growth charts for kids. A 6-foot 1.5 inch 297 pounder has a body mass index (BMI) of 38.6. Each of those three numbers would be very far above the 97th percentiles for a boy just turning 14 years old (97th percentiles for a 14 year old boy: 27.8 kg/m^2 for BMI ; 5' 10.5" , and 170 lbs ). For a boy just turning 13, the 97th percentiles are 27 kg/m^2 for BMI ; 5' 7.5" , and 158 lbs.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/charts.htm#Set3

In the YMCA tackle football league in which I played as a 12 year old in the KC area, I don't think we had a general weight limit, but we did limit the ball carriers to persons who weighed something like 140 (maybe 125?) pounds or less. I was always above whatever that YMCA weight limit was and had to wear a sticker on my helmet. I blocked plenty of guys who were bigger than I was, but I don't remember squaring up against anyone who was more than, say, 50 or 60 pounds bigger than what would have been a 97th percentile sized boy. This kid in Texas is more than 100 pounds bigger than the 97th percentile kids.

lewdog
08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
His mom could do without as many bagel bites!!!

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2012, 08:54 AM
His mom could do without as many bagel bites!!!

How can she resist? When pizza's on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime.