PDA

View Full Version : Football Trent Dilfer gets a bad rap

ChiefsNow
08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
It's kind of surprising to me how a QBs life progresses or regresses depending on which team, which system, which coaches , team mates around them. So many situations make alot of difference.

I remember when Dilfer came out , he was highly touted as a great QB. Wasn't he the no 1 pick?

Anyway, I just watched his QB school on a program on ESPN2. Very interesting and for some reason I gained a lot of respect for him. He put on one hell of a QB school and just seems like a good guy. He got a superbowl win with a very good Ravens team around him. Mostly the defense.

I think we have a similar situation now as the Ravens did then.
But I feel even better about our situation because we have a good defense and a good offense , it looks like to me.

Seriously, Cassel is not a dumb ass and has a pretty level head. He can be a game manager just like Dilfer did with that purple looking team.

We have a red looking team. That has to be better than a purple looking team.

I am thinking Championship !!!

the Talking Can
08-18-2012, 06:42 AM
omg!!

i am thinking about wearing my booty shorts!

bevischief
08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I want some of what you are smoking.

ChiefsNow
08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
LOL

ChiefsNow
08-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Ezra Brook LOL

Guru
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM
:facepalm:

ChiefsNow
08-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Maybe that's why Sweaty thinks Cassel can take us deep into the playoffs.

JD10367
08-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Yes, it's a similar situation. Aside from the fact that the Ravens' defense was ridiculously out-of-this-world good, and the Chiefs isn't. And the fact that Dilfer sucked and was STILL a better QB than Cassel. But aside from those, yeah, it's identical.

But I think the spirit of what you are saying is, "Cassel doesn't need to be Joe Montana, he just needs to be serviceable and not fuck up." And that, I agree with. The Chiefs CAN win with him. Sure, they'd win a lot more and a lot easier with Brady, Eli, Rodgers, Brees, etc.,. But any team without those guys can say the same thing.

Dave Lane
08-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes, it's a similar situation. Aside from the fact that the Ravens' defense was ridiculously out-of-this-world good, and the Chiefs isn't. And the fact that Dilfer sucked and was STILL a better QB than Cassel. But aside from those, yeah, it's identical.

But I think the spirit of what you are saying is, "Cassel doesn't need to be Joe Montana, he just needs to be serviceable and not **** up." And that, I agree with. The Chiefs CAN win with him. Sure, they'd win a lot more and a lot easier with Brady, Eli, Rodgers, Brees, etc.,. But any team without those guys can say the same thing.

Dilfer was not a better QB then Cassel. He was horrible. I mean fucking disgustingly awful. How awful you ask? So awful the winning SB QB was dumped immediately after the season for Elvis Grbac.

His SB performance makes Jamarcus Russel wince. It was horrible.

notorious
08-18-2012, 07:53 AM
http://rebloggingdonk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/head-up-ass1.jpg

BoneKrusher
08-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Heath Shuler and Trent Dilfer were both taken in the top six of the 94 draft.
and i never understood why.
both should have been undrafted free agents.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-18-2012, 07:54 AM
With all the mults/brainchilds on the loose, you'll be using that pic alot I reckon.

Al Bundy
08-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Trent Dilfer was a TERRIBLE QB for my Buccaneers..

Brock
08-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Dilfer was not a better QB then Cassel. He was horrible. I mean fucking disgustingly awful. How awful you ask? So awful the winning SB QB was dumped immediately after the season for Elvis Grbac.

His SB performance makes Jamarcus Russel wince. It was horrible.

True. Dilfer was never good.

Ceej
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
omg!!

i am thinking about wearing my booty shorts!

Pics??!!

Simplicity
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Chiefs are going to win the SB... **** you all.

milkman
08-18-2012, 10:33 AM
The old saying is "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach".

That applies perfectly to Trent Dilfer.

He has an outstanding understnding of the game, and the position, but he could never apply the combination of his knowledge and talent to practical use on the field.

Some of the best teachers are guys who were jouneyman, at best.

The QB guru for incoming draftees is Chris Weinke.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
The old saying is "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach".

That applies perfectly to Trent Dilfer.

He has an outstanding understnding of the game, and the position, but he could never apply the combination of his knowledge and talent to practical use on the field.

Some of the best teachers are guys who were jouneyman, at best.

The QB guru for incoming draftees is Chris Weinke.

Not saying he was great, but He really wasnt truly bad. Although, his completion pct. was never very good.....

Id say he was on par with Testeverde except that guy played forever and padded his stats.

The problem is, QBs are always overvalued come draft time(understandably), desperate teams overreach and with that comes very high expectations. If he would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round (where he probably should have been) people would say he was an overachiever.

Demonpenz
08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Dilfer on podcasts is awesome. Great insight and lots of passion.