PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Ideas on a tablet??

kpic
08-18-2012, 12:45 PM
So found out I have to attend an infusion center about 3-4 days out of each month aprox. 6 hours per day. Looking for something I can kill the time with and I thought about one of those tablets & maybe someone can give some thoughts that knows more than I. Did a little research and it seems like these are ok;

ASUS Infinity TF700, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (there is a 7.7 & 10" ver of this one) or the IPAD3 (or whatever the latest one is)

I know the Ipad does not have Flash but are there any other downs to it? Like if I want to add video & audio to it and have to go through some sort of Itunes conversion etc. that won't work. I am very comfortable converting video\audio to different formats but don't want to deal with Itunes or anything extra I would need to add to convert.

I guess I need something;

- good battery needs to last about 7 hours
- allows easy playback of video (mp4, avi or whatever) and importing - not sure about the Ipad for this
- ability to tweak if needed the apps or environment (I don't think the Ipad allows this?)

Not sure yet if a 10" would be better or the 7.7"?

DaFace
08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Do you use either an Android phone or iPhone? If so, I'd match your tablet to your phone so that you can get used to the same general set of apps.

I'm not going to get into the Android vs. iOS debate, as that's rehashed in a million places online. Ask any specific questions if you wish.

If you decide to go the Android route, I love my Transformer Prime, which is the predecessor to the TF700. The only thing I'll say about that is that ASUS tech support and warranty service blows balls.

If you're interested in a 7 inch Android tablet, there's no debate as far as I'm concerned. Get the Google Nexus 7. It's only $200 and is getting fantastic reviews.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-18-2012, 01:04 PM
$250 for a 16GB Nexus. Quad core processor. I love it. Best buy you can get on a tablet.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 01:11 PM
I really love my iPAD 2. Just my 2 cents...

SuperChief
08-18-2012, 01:11 PM
$250 for a 16GB Nexus. Quad core processor. I love it. Best buy you can get on a tablet.

I just purchased this. Played around with one at the Google Fiberhood demo deal in KC. I"m pretty excited.

AustinChief
08-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I know the Ipad does not have Flash but are there any other downs to it? Like if I want to add video & audio to it and have to go through some sort of Itunes conversion etc. that won't work. I am very comfortable converting video\audio to different formats but don't want to deal with Itunes or anything extra I would need to add to convert.

Ha, yeah good luck with that. (queue Apple fan bois to tell you how easy it is then offer a 10 page list of the "easy" steps you can take to get it done)

oh and it really is gonna depend on if you want 7 or 10 inch...
7=Nexus
10 = Asus or Samsung.. pretty easy

At least right now.. should be a new batch out in October (including Microsoft's tablet which I am hearing is actually going to be priced very well) if you can wait.

morphius
08-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Do you use either an Android phone or iPhone? If so, I'd match your tablet to your phone so that you can get used to the same general set of apps.

I'm not going to get into the Android vs. iOS debate, as that's rehashed in a million places online. Ask any specific questions if you wish.

If you decide to go the Android route, I love my Transformer Prime, which is the predecessor to the TF700. The only thing I'll say about that is that ASUS tech support and warranty service blows balls.

If you're interested in a 7 inch Android tablet, there's no debate as far as I'm concerned. Get the Google Nexus 7. It's only $200 and is getting fantastic reviews.
I have been happy with my Prime as well but I will admit that while the processers is fast it seems that the board architecture isn't as fast as it should be. It also does crash on occasion.

Pitt Gorilla
08-18-2012, 08:23 PM
I really love my iPAD 2. Just my 2 cents...I love mine as well. I wouldn't trade it for anything else, including an iPad 3.

kpic
08-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I don't have a smart phone & I barely text, have no need for anything like that on my phone.

I would be using this mainly for browsing the net & watching videos. So guess my next step is head to the local BBuy & feel out what the 10" & 7" are all about, then order on Amazon.

Looks like if I am ok with the 7" = Nexus, or if that seems to small I'll go with the Asus.

Fish
08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I don't have a smart phone & I barely text, have no need for anything like that on my phone.

I would be using this mainly for browsing the net & watching videos. So guess my next step is head to the local BBuy & feel out what the 10" & 7" are all about, then order on Amazon.

Looks like if I am ok with the 7" = Nexus, or if that seems to small I'll go with the Asus.

Sounds like you have it figured out. If you're looking for something to easily and simply add videos without using iTunes, then you're definitely wanting an Android. It can be done with an iPad, but would involve jailbreaking and a bunch of other unnecessary steps. Most of the Android tablets will allow for you to throw a video on a SD card, and plug it in and watch. That's what you'll want.

Personally I think 10" is definitely the way to go. The 7" feels just cramped enough to make you wish you went with the bigger one. Especially if you watch videos on it much.

Be sure to check Amazon and Newegg customer reviews of the models you're interested it. They can often point out attributes of the tablet that you never thought of.

Silock
08-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you have it figured out. If you're looking for something to easily and simply add videos without using iTunes, then you're definitely wanting an Android. It can be done with an iPad, but would involve jailbreaking and a bunch of other unnecessary steps. Most of the Android tablets will allow for you to throw a video on a SD card, and plug it in and watch. That's what you'll want.

Personally I think 10" is definitely the way to go. The 7" feels just cramped enough to make you wish you went with the bigger one. Especially if you watch videos on it much.

Be sure to check Amazon and Newegg customer reviews of the models you're interested it. They can often point out attributes of the tablet that you never thought of.

I don't have iTunes installed on my PC and use my iPad for video all the time. The caveat to that is that I use AirVideo and stream everything from my pc, so I don't actually have the videos on my device. So, if I don't have wifi, I'm without video. But that's so rare, it almost never happens (except on an airplane, but I just read or sleep there anyway).

Fish
08-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't have iTunes installed on my PC and use my iPad for video all the time. The caveat to that is that I use AirVideo and stream everything from my pc, so I don't actually have the videos on my device. So, if I don't have wifi, I'm without video. But that's so rare, it almost never happens (except on an airplane, but I just read or sleep there anyway).

Well he said his purpose for a tablet was visiting an infusion center. I have no idea what that is, but it's obviously away from home. He has no familiarity with iOS, and a disdain for iTunes. In his case, a cheap Android tablet sounds like the best solution.

I have an iPad and definitely know what it's capable of. I can do anything on my iPad, and I use it more than any other device. I can copy videos and music directly to my iPad without iTunes just fine. But the setup I have is not a simple solution and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Molitoth
08-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I've gone with the 16GB HP Touchpad for $100 and slapped Android on it.
It does everything I want to do.

Dayze
08-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I really love my iPAD 2. Just my 2 cents...

Me too. Mine was on sale for the same price as the galaxy etc. love this thing.

Silock
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Well he said his purpose for a tablet was visiting an infusion center. I have no idea what that is, but it's obviously away from home. He has no familiarity with iOS, and a disdain for iTunes. In his case, a cheap Android tablet sounds like the best solution.

I have an iPad and definitely know what it's capable of. I can do anything on my iPad, and I use it more than any other device. I can copy videos and music directly to my iPad without iTunes just fine. But the setup I have is not a simple solution and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Yeah, I don't disagree necessarily. Streaming is the easiest thing for me. Torrents automatically download to my shared folder, and I just access it from my iPhone, AppleTV or iPad. So simple.

I'm sure you can do the same thing with any other tablet, though.

kpic
08-20-2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks KC Fish, that's kind of what I thought but you confirmed that the IPad would need to be jailbroken - something I would be pretty comfortable to do but if there are other options where I don't have to I'll take that instead.

An infusion center is a place where you get chemotherapy "infused" into you (although no chemo for me, I'll be getting something else, no cancer but I found I have a rare disease) so I'll be sitting in a recliner with a bag & needles stuck in me for about 6hrs a day for 3-4 days per month. I figured there probably won't be any hott nurses to look at for that long so that's when I thought of one of these tablets.

Thanks all for your input, I went ahead and ordered the Asus through Amazon.