PDA

View Full Version : Life Hangin' em up...

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Well after 40 years, I am stepping out of a University setting come May.

Turned in my retirement papers yesterday. Gonna organic farm full time in the summer, and sit by the fire in the wintertime.

Kinda wierd knowing this will be the last freshman class I ever see.

It's a feeling of relief as well.

Buck
08-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Congrats. You made it.

mlyonsd
08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
So you're pretty sure you'll finally graduate?

Congrats.

DaFace
08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Congrats, man. I've got a few years to go myself... ;)

Groves
08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Same job for 40? Give us the bullet points of nearly a half century at a University level.

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 02:49 PM
So you're pretty sure you'll finally graduate?

Congrats.

Finally, lol.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2012, 02:51 PM
:clap:

:toast:

Buehler445
08-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't think I'm ever going to get to retire.

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Same job for 40? Give us the bullet points of nearly a half century at a University level.

Two...Oklahoma and then South Dakota.

Universities have moved to a consumer model over the past 10 years. Lots more online...

Adjuncts and GTA's probably teach at least half the classes at major universities. At least at the 100/200 levels.Tenure track and tenured folk spend most of their time in a lab, writing, or attempting to get grants.

The top students today are much smarter than any I've ever seen. Unfortunately there exists a huge rich/poor gap in student ability. At least half this year's freshman class shouldn't be attending a major university. Six year graduation rates for most large colleges and universities is now less than 50%. Bunch of debt for no payoff.

IMO if you don't have an ACT of 24 or 25 you shouldn't consider a major school.

Top faculty are better today...but not enough of them. Most are mediocre.

I have been the chair of a department for the past 10 years. The amount of administrivia during that time has exploded. Everyone is CYA.

Lot's more to tell...but I won't bore you ;)

Buehler445
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Universities have moved to a consumer model over the past 10 years. Lots more online...

Adjuncts and GTA's probably teach at least half the classes at major universities. At least at the 100/200 levels.Tenure track and tenured folk spend most of their time in a lab, writing, or attempting to get grants.

The top students today are much smarter than any I've ever seen. Unfortunately there exists a huge rich/poor gap in student ability. At least half this year's freshman class shouldn't be attending a major university. Six year graduation rates for most large colleges and universities is now less than 50%. Bunch of debt for no payoff.

I have been the chair of a department for the past 10 years. The amount of administrivia during that time has exploded. Everyone is CYA.

I agree with all of that. Keep going!

La literatura
08-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Speech! Speech!

Buehler445
08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh. And Congratu-damn-lations!

CoMoChief
08-18-2012, 03:19 PM
ACT is a bullshit test. scored 25 summer after my freshman year HS, then 23 my Sr year LMAO

La literatura
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
ACT is a bullshit test. scored 25 summer after my freshman year HS, then 23 my Sr year LMAO

You do seem to get dumber every day on this site.

Stewie
08-18-2012, 03:22 PM
$1,000,000,000,000 in student debt has paved a golden path... well, for a couple more years.

AndChiefs
08-18-2012, 03:24 PM

I scored a 36. While I was drunk. And being pleasured by Jessica Biel. /cp

CoMoChief
08-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Did you run out to the football field and track and start running 4.3 40's and 5min miles afterwards?

AndChiefs
08-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Did you run out to the football field and track and start running 4.3 40's and 5min miles afterwards?

5 min mile? That's a bit slow isn't it?

Tombstone RJ
08-18-2012, 03:28 PM

higher education is a joke. Sorry bro, but it is. Once the universities figured out that student loans are guaranteed, it all went to hell.

mlyonsd
08-18-2012, 03:30 PM

It's become all about how many bodies you can get enrolled. My wife is at the Registrar's office right now working. She's worked 18 of the last 20 days trying to keep up with transfer credit. Admissions promises incoming students the world and she has to play the bad guy. Even then, at times she is over ruled and BOR policy is overriden if the student can cry up the ladder far enough.

It's sickening watching the integrity of a university degrade all for the buck.

But anyway, congratulations again. I wish you well.

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 03:30 PM
$1,000,000,000,000 in student debt has paved a golden path... well, for a couple more years.

College is way to expensive. There are far too many administrators and far to many fancy buildings.

I would get fired if I were to say this, but colleges and universities should stop trying to expand and simply become sustainable. More students does not equal a better university. It just means more students.

The best Universities (Ivy league plus places like wlm & Mary) are faculty run, static in student enrollment, and value teaching as well as research. Most Div 1 state schools now value research over teaching.

ghak99
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM

ROFL

My score was only decent, but this brought back my early Saturday morning ACT test memory. LMAO... :shake:

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
It's become all about how many bodies you can get enrolled. My wife is at the Registrar's office right now working. She's worked 18 of the last 20 days trying to keep up with transfer credit. Admissions promises incoming students the world and she has to play the bad guy. Even then, at times she is over ruled and BOR policy is overriden if the student can cry up the ladder far enough.

It's sickening watching the integrity of a university degrade all for the buck.

But anyway, congratulations again. I wish you well.

This is so true. And unfortunate.

Tombstone RJ
08-18-2012, 03:35 PM
so the real estate bubble has popped, the next major catastrophic economic bubble to explode is the student loan fiasco.

thanks colleges and univiersities, thanks for nothing.

ghak99
08-18-2012, 03:36 PM
40 years.....

May the fields grow tall and the logs burn long, you've certainly earned it! :toast:

Tombstone RJ
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
flooding the damn market with crappy degrees from worthless universities by morons who paid for a piece of paper from program only interested in making money is another fail for the US university system.

suck it higher ed.

Tombstone RJ
08-18-2012, 03:40 PM
universities can choke on their worthless degrees for all I care.

Chiefshrink
08-18-2012, 03:47 PM
College is way to expensive.

Agreed. But I wonder why you don't see OWS and the Obama regime going after the 'Wealthy Rich University system' ? :hmmm: I think we all know why:rolleyes:

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
universities can choke on their worthless degrees for all I care.

So I take it Devry didn't accept you?

Gadzooks
08-18-2012, 04:17 PM
College is way to expensive.

Uh oh...

Congrats on you're retirement!

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Turned in my retirement papers yesterday. Gonna organic farm full time in the summer, and sit by the fire in the wintertime.

Congrats. You definately live up to your name.

Renegade
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Congrats, man. I've got a few years to go myself... ;)

Maybe your boss will let you opt out early based on good behavior

the Talking Can
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Agreed. But I wonder why you don't see OWS and the Obama regime going after the 'Wealthy Rich University system' ? :hmmm: I think we all know why:rolleyes:

are you retarded?

honest question

bevischief
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
So I take it Devry didn't accept you?

I went there when it meant something. Not like now.

bevischief
08-18-2012, 04:43 PM

So where are you going to settle down at?

bevischief
08-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Congrats as well.

Psyko Tek
08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't think I'm ever going to get to retire.

my retirement plan is set

I figure I'll died before I get there

Chiefaholic
08-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Breaking 5 minute miles isn't uncommon at all. My senior year, four of us broke the 5 minute mark. One of which ran a 4:26 (school record), and still runs marathons to this day.

oldman
08-18-2012, 05:12 PM

I agree with you. The value of a college education has been diluted by 5 year degrees, GTAs, on-line universities, and the emphasis on numbers. I don't want to sound like one of "those guys", but I never had a class taught by a TA and damn few taught by anyone with less than a PhD. Frankly, we don't need any more MBAs or car salespeople with BAs in English.
What we need to do is emphasize quality over quantity and knowledge over fact retention. At the expense of sounding elitist, college isn't and shouldn't be for everyone. We need techs, we need nerds to write code, and many more fields that do not require a traditional college education.

scho63
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Today's colleges:

Too many students spending WAY too much money for landing frivolous jobs and being indoctrinated with highly Liberal views.

90% waste for most students

Earthling
08-18-2012, 05:56 PM
GRATS ! !

bowener
08-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Were you ever propositioned by a student to increase their grade in return for sexual gratification?

Serious question.

boogblaster
08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
thanks for teaching our youth .. too bad it wont help most .. no jobs anyway .....

Buehler445
08-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I agree with you. The value of a college education has been diluted by 5 year degrees, GTAs, on-line universities, and the emphasis on numbers. I don't want to sound like one of "those guys", but I never had a class taught by a TA and damn few taught by anyone with less than a PhD. Frankly, we don't need any more MBAs or car salespeople with BAs in English.
What we need to do is emphasize quality over quantity and knowledge over fact retention. At the expense of sounding elitist, college isn't and shouldn't be for everyone. We need techs, we need nerds to write code, and many more fields that do not require a traditional college education.

That was the good thing about going to an AACSB accredited school. They had requirements of who could teach business courses. I only had one class taught by someone who didn't have a PhD or JD.

Courses out of the other schools, not so much. And I think at the bigger schools, it was really bad.

I very much agree with the poster that said not all people should be in college.

cdcox
08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Congrats, oldandslow. I've done 22 years in academia and don't find it likely that I'll stick around as long as you have.

oldandslow
08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Were you ever propositioned by a student to increase their grade in return for sexual gratification?

Serious question.

No. I'm too ugly.

Superbowltrashcan
08-18-2012, 10:32 PM

So you attended high school where?.......

Rain Man
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
It's easy to get tenure for retirement. All you have to do is not work.

Congrats on your retirement. You have achieved a dream.

Pawnmower
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
congrats man!!!!!

Well deserved

KILLER_CLOWN
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm sure you will be just fine, you are quite the gentleman and I love the fact you will be taking up Organic farming full time. Thank you and have a great last year sir, i'm sure you will be missed there.

SNR
08-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Now you have more time to hang out with us! Yay!

DanT
08-18-2012, 11:38 PM

Congratulations, oldandslow! That's sure a well-earned retirement. I hope you enjoy the farm life!

BIG_DADDY
08-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Congratulations, that's friggen great.

mcaj22
08-19-2012, 12:41 AM
i think it's cool to see an elder department head not only a Chiefs fan but posting a on a forum like this.

Every time I walk in the office of a department head for a meeting, I practically crap my pants in intimidation and fear, and it's cool to see they can be no different than me when they go home and like the same football team, and such.

Not saying the department head I have does, but it's cool to think. Hats off to you sir.

KC Jones
08-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Congratulations!

Any travel plans coming up, or you going right into the farming thing?

Dave Lane
08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Cool deal on both counts, how much area are you going to farm? I just bought 10 acres and am not really sure what if anything to do with it. Is this enough land to organically farm on?

KC Jones
08-19-2012, 09:56 AM
My brother was looking into running an organic farm as opposed to being an IT contractor. He went to talk up some organic farmers and they told him, "If you love it enough to be covered in shit and poor, then go for it". He decided that like you it might be better left as a post retirement career.

Coyote
08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Congratulations. I wish all the best to you and yours.
I "retired" a year ago and hope you achieve your goals. A very basic decision is your geography vs. your post retirement goals. Perhaps you solved this through your organic farming decision and combine both. Though we have very different pedigrees, there may be some commonalities. I now teach grad school, get brought into programs as a "senior mentor," farm 650 acres of corn and soybeans and sit on the board of an engineering firm. Point: you may find yourself still engaged more than you thought. I just don't feel guilty anymore when I take a day off to drive hotrods, ride harleys or try to tear the wings off of airplanes....