PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is KC a Royals town or a Chiefs Town?

Mr. Arrowhead
08-18-2012, 03:18 PM
What would create more buzz, Chiefs in Super Bowl or the Royals in the World Series

SPchief
08-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Q

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Definately a Sporting KC town now. An MLS title would be huge.

Signed |Zach|

Buck
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Considering the Royals have an even worse playoff win drought than the Chiefs, I'm pretty sure that makes it a Chiefs town by default.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2012, 03:22 PM
it's a Chiefs town but you would still see a major explosion if the Royals started winning again.

Bowser
08-18-2012, 03:27 PM
it's a Chiefs town but you would still see a major explosion if the Royals started winning again.

Pretty much this.

petegz28
08-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I still contend this is a baseball town

Bowser
08-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I still contend this is a baseball town

I think it really can be both. I remember as a kid when we were a lock for the playoffs how nuts the town would get for Brett and the Royals. The years since, it's shifted to being a Chiefs town, but I think there is room enough for both.

Guru
08-18-2012, 03:41 PM
In the 70s, 80s and even the very early 90s it was a Royals town. Been Chiefs ever since.

BWillie
08-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Would easily be a Royals town if the Royals had marginal success, but since not, Chiefs.

Bump
08-18-2012, 03:48 PM
lol is this a serious question?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Beaker town/dipshits

DaFace
08-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Srsly?

Guru
08-18-2012, 04:01 PM
It cracks me up that they put the Royals logo up by I70 in the 2000s when it clearly should have been an arrowhead.

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
It's a Royals town.

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I think KC in general has the best and most loyal sports fans. If the Royals could be good or even decent, the K would have at least 30,000 almost every night.

pimpchief
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM
It seems about fifty fifty to me. Whatever season it is. Back to school time though, is chiefs time.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it really can be both. I remember as a kid when we were a lock for the playoffs how nuts the town would get for Brett and the Royals. The years since, it's shifted to being a Chiefs town, but I think there is room enough for both.

I would agree with this. It's funny because they have rarely been good at the same time.

I think the last time was 1994 or the early 90s and I'm pretty sure they both drew well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
08-18-2012, 04:11 PM
It's a Royals town.

Nobody cares about baseball except people in the Northeast, gays, and Hispanics.

Beerthirty
08-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Chiefs
Mizzou Football
Mizzou basketball
Royals
NBA
MLS Soccer. Dont really know who plays here! LOL
T bones
Omaha Royals
High school football
High school basketball
Bantam Football
Little kids basketball
Olympics
taking a crap
KU - NOT

In that orderLMAO

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Nobody cares about baseball except people in the Northeast, gays, and Hispanics.

So you prefer looking at it from an elitist approach?

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I think KC in general has the best and most loyal sports fans. If the Royals could be good or even decent, the K would have at least 30,000 almost every night.

LMAO

lewdog
08-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Actually most gays I know hate baseball, which easily tells me your sexual orientation with all the baseball bashing you do.

CaliforniaChief
08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
As a fan of both, I would derive great joy from either winning a championship. But when you think about each time at their peak, while both teams were well-supported, this city lived for Chiefs games. You could feel it throughout the week. Part of that is the once-a-week football event, but I think this is a Chiefs' town.

mr. tegu
08-18-2012, 04:32 PM
LMAO

You disagree? Right now our average is 22,700 for a 52-66 team. A winning team could account for the difference. It's not 30,000 is a huge number. It still puts you in the middle of the pack this season.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
As a fan of both, I would derive great joy from either winning a championship. But when you think about each time at their peak, while both teams were well-supported, this city lived for Chiefs games. You could feel it throughout the week. Part of that is the once-a-week football event, but I think this is a Chiefs' town.

Wha era are you referring to? Granted, I was young, but from 75 to about 88, I don't remember people getting all that excited over Chiefs footbal? People lived for Royals games.

Also, MLB was more popular then, and the NFL wasn't as huge as it is now.

JoeyChuckles
08-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Wha era are you referring to? Granted, I was young, but from 75 to about 88, I don't remember people getting all that excited over Chiefs footbal? People lived for Royals games.

Also, MLB was more popular then, and the NFL wasn't as huge as it is now.

NFL already passed it's prime and is on the way down. It make take 30-40 years, but it is on the way down.

BigMeatballDave
08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Having lived in the KC area from 81-97, I'll say it was a Royals town thru the 80's and Chiefs town thru the 90's.

BigMeatballDave
08-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Why are you filled with so much anger?

SNR
08-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Baseball sucks.

Football rules.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM
You disagree? Right now our average is 22,700 for a 52-66 team. A winning team could account for the difference. It's not 30,000 is a huge number. It still puts you in the middle of the pack this season.

"The Best"? No, not even close.

First off, there are teams like the Cubs that sell out or are at near capacity for decades without a title. The Mets are another good example. The Royals have the cheapest seats in the league and rarely sell out these days, if ever, outside of the first few games of the season.

As for football, Chiefs fans have been in short supply lately. While they haven't had any blackouts, there have been plenty of empty seats, even visible on TV.

Furthermore, great sports fans DEMAND great teams. The Chiefs went 17 years without a playoff birth and have gone another 19 without a win. The Royals haven't been in post season since 1985 and that streak isn't likely to end soon. Most people, the local sportscasters and the newpapers are too polite.

The fans need to demand far more from their owners before they can be considered "great".

SNR
08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I mean, billay is right. Baseball is a shitty sport.

The only reason why I even pay the smallest attention to it is because it's so prevalent in this country's culture. And even then, it's gradually dwindling.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I mean, billay is right. Baseball is a shitty sport.

The only reason why I even pay the smallest attention to it is because it's so prevalent in this country's culture. And even then, it's gradually dwindling.

I don't think it's dwindling is cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta or D.C.

Big Smoke
08-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Definately a Sporting KC town now. An MLS title would be huge.

Signed |Zach|

ROFL

DaFace
08-18-2012, 05:42 PM
"The Best"? No, not even close.

First off, there are teams like the Cubs that sell out or are at near capacity for decades without a title. The Mets are another good example. The Royals have the cheapest seats in the league and rarely sell out these days, if ever, outside of the first few games of the season.

As for football, Chiefs fans have been in short supply lately. While they haven't had any blackouts, there have been plenty of empty seats, even visible on TV.

Furthermore, great sports fans DEMAND great teams. The Chiefs went 17 years without a playoff birth and have gone another 19 without a win. The Royals haven't been in post season since 1985 and that streak isn't likely to end soon. Most people, the local sportscasters and the newpapers are too polite.

The fans need to demand far more from their owners before they can be considered "great".

It's not really fair to compare teams that operate in the biggest markets in the country to Kansas City.

SNR
08-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think it's dwindling is cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta or D.C.That says the sport is dwindling when only the large markets can keep a vested fan interest in the game.

Football is at an all-time high of popularity. And look at the resurgence of the NBA. The small markets are sometimes BETTER due to the rabid tenacity of the fanbase. Sure, attending the Lakers at Staples or the Knicks at MSG (or whatever the fuck it's called now) is an experience unto itself. But I look at teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Milwaukee Bucks, the Sacramento Kings. These teams have no good reason at all to have the passionate fans that fill the seats as much as these fans do. But they do.

A large part of the country now doesn't give two shits about the World Series. The NBA Finals is far more popular than the World Series. It wasn't that way a short time ago, even when Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and all those other great stars were around.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
It's not really fair to compare teams that operate in the biggest markets in the country to Kansas City.

You can't say "The Best Fans" when only 22,000 people show up a night. The "Best Fans" would a city in which the stadium is at near capacity despite the record, like the Cubbies or Mets.

KC has always been a fair-weather fan town. I remember sitting at Arrowhead in the 70's and 80's with 20,000 other people and it wasn't until Marty & Carl took over that the stadium was full.

I'm not blaming anyone but you can't call those fans "The Best".

DaFace
08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
You can't say "The Best Fans" when only 22,000 people show up a night. The "Best Fans" would a city in which the stadium is at near capacity despite the record, like the Cubbies or Mets.

KC has always been a fair-weather fan town. I remember sitting at Arrowhead in the 70's and 80's with 20,000 other people and it wasn't until Marty & Carl took over that the stadium was full.

I'm not blaming anyone but you can't call those fans "The Best".

I'm not necessarily saying that they are, but as a percentage of the area's population, that 22k is much higher than the percentage of the population that's attending Mets or Cubs games. My point is just that using attendance numbers as a measure of a city's loyalty to a team isn't really valid.

Guru
08-18-2012, 05:51 PM
BAseball is fine. I'm just waiting for the Royals to give me a reason to give a shit about it again.

Munson
08-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Its a Chiefs town for sure.

But if the Royals started winning postseason games, it could easily change.

Both teams need postseason success. Its been a generation since either team has done shit.

KCBOSS1
08-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm shocked that anybody would vote Royals. Must be seriously out of touch... Must be some of those cross-country fans.

stevenidol
08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Depends on who is winning. Why do you think there are so many KU fans in KC?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM
FUCK the ROyals!

notorious
08-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Is KC a baseball or football town......

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif

kysirsoze
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
This is a seriously insane question. The Royals would have to be significantly more successful than the Chiefs for multiple years to make KC a baseball town.