PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Underrated Sega Genesis games

lcarus
08-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I bought a Genesis this weekend and got Sonic 1 & 2, X-Men, Adventures of Batman and Robin, Aladdin, and am looking to get some more eventually. I already know I want Castlevania Bloodlines, Sonic and Knuckles, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, Streets of Rage 2, and a few more. Anyone recommend some good games that are maybe under the radar?

Munson
08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Its been so long since I've played a Genesis, that I can't remember any games other than the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

SnakeXJones
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Damn Aladdin on genesis was awesome but skitchin was a game that hardly anybody remembers

Molitoth
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Golden Axe

Bump
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
lol that nostalgia should wear off quick. You'll be popping that xbox back on in a little bit.

lcarus
08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
lol that nostalgia should wear off quick. You'll be popping that xbox back on in a little bit.

Lol yeah I already went back and played some NCAA today. That fine though because I will play it every once in a while. I have an old small tv that I play my old consoles on. I also have a VCR hooked up to it. :thumb:

Munson
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I completely forgot about Mortal Kombat. I know its not in the "underrated" catergory, but it should be included in any Sega Genesis collection.

lcarus
08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
I completely forgot about Mortal Kombat. I know its not in the "underrated" catergory, but it should be included in any Sega Genesis collection.

Yep. I almost bought MK2 last night. Its 2 bucks lol. Think I prefer it on SNES though

lcarus
08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I also bought Super Ghouls N Ghosts for SNES last night. It was 4.99 and it sells for around 20 online so it was a steal. Unfortunately that game is hard as a son of a bitch. I suck ass at it.

notorious
08-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Genesis and SNES Emulator.

Google it.

lcarus
08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Genesis and SNES Emulator.

Google it.

Have it. I still like playing the real thing on my old school little tv.

notorious
08-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Have it. I still like playing the real thing on my old school little tv.

Cool.

In that case, here is a nice list for you:

http://retro-sanctuary.com/TOP%20100%20Megadrive%20GAMES%20page%201.html

Vectorman is badass.

SuperChief
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I really liked Tony LaRussa Baseball.

Von Dumbass
08-19-2012, 01:21 AM
up, down, left, right, hold A, START

I never had a Genesis but for some reason I remember that cheat code from one of the Sonic games.

QuikSsurfer
08-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Great system. The bold are absolute must haves.

Shinobi 3
Toe Jam and Earl (1 and 2)
Cool Spot
Robocop vs Terminator
The Amazing Spiderman vs Kingpin
Road Rash
Splatterhouse 3
Comix Zone
Vectorman (1 and 2)
Golden Axe (2 and 3)
Streets of Rage (2 and 3)
NBA Jam

bonus round:
The Haunting (your object is to scare the family out of the house by possessing various objects)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z5EVBk81UMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
and
Home Alone

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
You HAVE to get Toe Jam and Earl. It's a must.

Bump
08-19-2012, 11:07 AM
You HAVE to get Toe Jam and Earl. It's a must.

back in 1998 or around that time, ebay just first came out and everybody still had dial up modems. I went to every pawn shop and bought every Toe Jam and Earl game for $5 a piece, went on ebay and sold them all for $40 a piece. I was a happy teenager after that.

loochy
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
earthworm jim

shining force 1 and 2 if you like RPGs

the first x-men game was pretty good

TrebMaxx
08-19-2012, 03:54 PM
If I may ask how much does a Sega Genesis go for now days?

Al Bundy
08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Great system. The bold are absolute must haves.

Shinobi 3
Toe Jam and Earl (1 and 2)
Cool Spot
Robocop vs Terminator
The Amazing Spiderman vs Kingpin
Road Rash
Splatterhouse 3
Comix Zone
Vectorman (1 and 2)
Golden Axe (2 and 3)
Streets of Rage (2 and 3)
NBA Jam

bonus round:
The Haunting (your object is to scare the family out of the house by possessing various objects)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z5EVBk81UMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
and
Home Alone

I agree, Road Rash is a must have, also NBA Live 95.

QuikSsurfer
08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
If I may ask how much does a Sega Genesis go for now days?

$30 - $40 tops

TrebMaxx
08-19-2012, 05:49 PM
$30 - $40 tops

Thanks! I have one that has been sitting in my closet for quite a few years. I really should try to get $ from my consoles that I no longer use. Hell, I would say all of them, the Sega, Wii, and PS3. I figured you would have to almost pay someone to take a Sega.

QuikSsurfer
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks! I have one that has been sitting in my closet for quite a few years. I really should try to get $ from my consoles that I no longer use. Hell, I would say all of them, the Sega, Wii, and PS3. I figured you would have to almost pay someone to take a Sega.

Jesus... it's not like it's a Nomad or Virtual Boy...

Saulbadguy
08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Pirates! Gold

Bewbies
08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I have bomberman, NBA Jam and have been thinking about adding Street Fighter to my XBOX.

I'm old school, but I still think the SNES was the best video game system ever. :)

Sure-Oz
08-19-2012, 07:19 PM
I loved Phantasy Star 2 and 3 for Genesis. If you have a Wii you can buy genesis games on there too.

I also liked Ghostbusters for genesis too

Sure-Oz
08-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Also, starflight was great

Sure-Oz
08-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Jungle Strike/Desert Strike

QuikSsurfer
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Jungle Strike/Desert Strike

oh man.. i loved those games

Luke Warm
08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
$30 - $40 tops

Better to dish out $55 bucks and get a RetroN3 (plays NES, Genesis, and SNES games. Google it.)

As far as must have games.....Landstalker (best RPG on Gen IMO), Greatest Heavyweights, Altered Beast, Lion King, Sonic and Knuckles.

Luke Warm
08-19-2012, 07:35 PM
NHL 93...make their heads bleed :thumb:

Or was it 94?

Bump
08-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Contra, xmen, MK, TMNT, double dragon, golden axe, nba jam, streets of rage, sonic, super street fighter 2. Those are the ones I played the crap out of, plus madden and that football game that had Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform on the cover. There was also a kick ass college football game I liked too I think.

|Zach|
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Underrated?

I would say it would be a Genesis game I had called General Chaos. Me and my friends played the shit out of this game as kids.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XerLAPLSi2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luke Warm
08-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Contra, xmen, MK, TMNT, double dragon, golden axe, nba jam, streets of rage, sonic, super street fighter 2. Those are the ones I played the crap out of, plus madden and that football game that had Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform on the cover. There was also a kick ass college football game I liked too I think.

There was a Contra on Genesis?!

NFL 95 was the one with Montana as a Chief on it. I still remember the commercial for it...huge fat guy in stands...talking hot dog...Joe as a new York jet...lol.

Javabean
08-20-2012, 08:02 AM
There were a lot of good games for that system. Two underrated ones, which I enjoyed but apparently no one else remembers, were Kid Chameleon and Eternal Champions.

Kid Chameleon was basically a platformer with some puzzle elements where the game play changed based on what helmet the character wore. It was brutally long, too -- something like 200 hours with no save feature or ability to skip levels.

Eternal Champions was a fighting game in which each fighter used a different style -- one guy used kung fu, another kenpo, another Jeet Kune Do, etc. It came out around the same time as UFC, and even though its depictions of the different fighting styles were simplistic, it was fun matching them up against each other.

ReynardMuldrake
08-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Bonanza Brothers,
Herzog Zwei,
Phantasy Star II,
Phantasy Star IV,
Powerball,
Road Rash 1, 2, 3,
Strider,
and Toejam & Earl for starters.

ReynardMuldrake
08-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Also Star Control, Columns, Centurion, Desert Strike, Hard Drivin', Out of This World, Rampart, Rolling Thunder 2, Summer & Winter Challenge etc. etc.

Genesis had a ton of good games.

Javabean
08-20-2012, 08:07 AM
There was a Contra on Genesis?!

NFL 95 was the one with Montana as a Chief on it. I still remember the commercial for it...huge fat guy in stands...talking hot dog...Joe as a new York jet...lol.

I only vaguely remember that game. IIRC, the passing game stunk but the running game was unstoppable, which meant Harvey Williams averaged like 10 yards a carry while Montana couldn't buy a completion.

loochy
08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Underrated?

I would say it would be a Genesis game I had called General Chaos. Me and my friends played the shit out of this game as kids.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XerLAPLSi2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that one is great to play with friends but its kind of boring in single player

SLAG
08-20-2012, 09:25 AM
+1 for General Chaos

My Favorite Genesis Game and Highly Underrated:

Zero Tolerance

First Person Shooter on the Genesis!

Love that game

I still play through it about once a year

Saulbadguy
08-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Shadowrun.

Luke Warm
08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I only vaguely remember that game. IIRC, the passing game stunk but the running game was unstoppable, which meant Harvey Williams averaged like 10 yards a carry while Montana couldn't buy a completion.

You remember correctly. The RBs would get hit by like 3-4 tacklers and stay on their feet lol. This game also had no crowd ( crowd noises yes). I liked the smacktalk after tackling tho.

Luke Warm
08-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Eternal Champions was a fighting game in which each fighter used a different style -- one guy used kung fu, another kenpo, another Jeet Kune Do, etc. It came out around the same time as UFC, and even though its depictions of the different fighting styles were simplistic, it was fun matching them up against each other.

I remember this game. Didn't it have stage "fatalities" too? I remember one stage with a big fan in the middle that you could knock your opponent into.

DMAC
08-20-2012, 09:55 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12678/1138236-joemontanafootball94_large.jpg

Javabean
08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I remember this game. Didn't it have stage "fatalities" too? I remember one stage with a big fan in the middle that you could knock your opponent into.

Haha, I'd totally forgotten about that. Youtube delivers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1RyXEGXDSg) The big fan one you mention is at 2:34.

QuikSsurfer
08-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Good call on Eternal Champions and Zero Tolerance (this game freaked me out back in the day)

Great Expectations
08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Bill Walsh College Football (first one) and NBA Live 95.

Detoxing
08-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Haha i have Genesis too. And an SNES.

Like someone said though....the nostalgia wears off quick.

loochy
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Dude montana to JJ Birden on a seam worked EVERY time

loochy
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM

The overkills were cool but they were damn near impossible to do.

lcarus
08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I completely forgot about one of my favs from back in the day. Mutant League Hockey. I checked online and it's pretty expensive compared to a lot of used Genesis games. 25-30 bucks is the cheapest. I love that game though.

The nostalgia doesn't wear off quick for me. I actually enjoy a lot of the old school games. In some ways, they're more fun than the newer games with realistic graphics. It helps that I have a brother that I live with, and he is into the old games as much as I am. So I almost always have someone to play the fun co-op games with. We've been trying to snag a copy of Turtles In Time on SNES for a while now. Might have to order that one online. The Vintage Stock stores down here don't ever have it.

Javabean
08-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Dude montana to JJ Birden on a seam worked EVERY time

Ah, ok. Then I'm either remembering wrong or I sucked at the passing game.

Luke Warm
08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I completely forgot about one of my favs from back in the day. Mutant League Hockey. I checked online and it's pretty expensive compared to a lot of used Genesis games. 25-30 bucks is the cheapest. I love that game though.

The nostalgia doesn't wear off quick for me. I actually enjoy a lot of the old school games. In some ways, they're more fun than the newer games with realistic graphics. It helps that I have a brother that I live with, and he is into the old games as much as I am. So I almost always have someone to play the fun co-op games with. We've been trying to snag a copy of Turtles In Time on SNES for a while now. Might have to order that one online. The Vintage Stock stores down here dwon't ever have it.

Yea the good games from back in the day are hard to get and are almost as much as brand new games for current systems lol. I dropped $60 for Secret Of Mana on SNES a week ago. $40 for Link To The Past like two months ago.

I'm with you 125% on the nostalgia factor, doesn't wear off on me either. I can play Zelda games til my eyes bleed lol.

Luke Warm
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
The overkills were cool but they were damn near impossible to do.

Yea and you gotta be in the perfect distance too.

loochy
08-21-2012, 09:23 AM

it was a timing thing. it was like "hike....one....two...pass".

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Earthworm Jim
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat
Road Rash
Rock n Roll Racing
94 Sportstalk Football feat Joe Montana
Sportstalk Baseball
Madden 96
NHL 94
Ken Griffey Jr Baseball
Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam

DJ's left nut
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Honestly, the Lion King game was pretty slick for Sega.

It's essentially Mario Brothers with a lion. It was a pretty cool game.

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Anyone remember The Sega Channel?

It was a game cartridge, hooked up with a cable outlet and you had to subscribe with it via cable provider.

Then you turned on the game and through the cable got to play hundreds of games.

QuikSsurfer
08-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh snap.. Ecco the Dolphin was great
I actually picked up the Sega Genesis Pack II for PS3 a few weeks ago mostly for the Ecco, and Streets of Rage series.

I played for about 45 minutes and haven't touched it since :) But it makes me happy that I can go back and play these games at any time.

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh snap.. Ecco the Dolphin was great
I actually picked up the Sega Genesis Pack II for PS3 a few weeks ago mostly for the Ecco, and Streets of Rage series.

I played for about 45 minutes and haven't touched it since :) But it makes me happy that I can go back and play these games at any time.

Ecco the Dolphin was awesome LMAO

DJ's left nut
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM

I had to scroll back to make sure you weren't talking about Joe Montana football.

Uh...yeah, you must've just sucked at the passing game. When my buddy and I played each other, we finally started taking knees in the end zone because fumbling a kick return was a death sentence and it seemed to happen once/gm.

It was essentially like playing with the Vermiel Chiefs. The passing game was easy enough that if you didn't score every time you had the ball, you were screwed. That stupid little slant route invariably led to a safety being out of position or missing a tackle and then a TD every time. The YAC yards where what killed you in that game.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM

It was a game cartridge, hooked up with a cable outlet and you had to subscribe with it via cable provider.

Then you turned on the game and through the cable got to play hundreds of games.

Lol, I sure do.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Yea the good games from back in the day are hard to get and are almost as much as brand new games for current systems lol. I dropped $60 for Secret Of Mana on SNES a week ago. $40 for Link To The Past like two months ago.

I'm with you 125% on the nostalgia factor, doesn't wear off on me either. I can play Zelda games til my eyes bleed lol.

Oh damn, I just bought Link to the Past for 16 bucks from this shitty little used game place by my house. They had like 10 copies.

DJ's left nut
08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I had a Sega CD for about a week. I think I traded it for some roller-blades.

That was the biggest pile of suck to ever suck.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Yeah it did suck. We had Sewer Shark, which was fun for all of 30 minutes, if that. And we had Joe Montana Football or some shit. The only game I got any enjoyment out of was a point n click Jurassic Park game. Looking back, it's totally garbage, but it was fun back then sort of. I never could beat it....

loochy
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Ecco the Dolphin was awesome LMAO

it's freaking hard!

i bought it on the wii and i STILL cant beat it

Saulbadguy
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Yep.

That shit was awesome. It even saved your progress.

Frosty
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
My boys still drag out my old Genesis occasionally to play Toejam and Earl.

Back in the day, I really enjoyed Chuck Rock, though I was never very good at it.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
it's freaking hard!

i bought it on the wii and i STILL cant beat it

God damn, most of these old school games are pretty hard. It isn't like now days, where games hold your hand through a game.

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
God damn, most of these old school games are pretty hard. It isn't like now days, where games hold your hand through a game.

I never did "completely" beat Mario64.

I think you have to get 120 stars or some shit, I only got 118

Psyko Tek
08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
OUTLANDER
mad max as a video game

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Zach experienced much ass rape at Street Fighter II back in the day.

He had a thing for Chung-Li

Psyko Tek
08-21-2012, 02:59 PM

I beat the whole NFL on Joe Montana NFL
ran an option with marcus allen, and a crossing pattern
beat the 85 bears 127 to 3
once i found the glitches just became a exercise

Ceej
08-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Wait a minute...

Deion Sanders "Prime Time" Football was THE best game on Sega.

Hands down.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms on Sega Saturn FTW

QuikSsurfer
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Panzer Dragoon Saga on Sega Saturn FTW

FYP

lcarus
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
My brother got Streets of Rage 2 for $3 today. There is a chain of used game stores down here called Game Xchange. He went to one out in a little shithole city called Grove on his work route. Pretty good deal on that game. He also picked up Star Fox, F-Zero, and Gremlins 2 for about $3 each. We're trying to build a collection. I really need DK Country 1-3, Turtles In Time, Final Fantasy III, Contra III, and Chrono Trigger on SNES. But good lord Chrono Trigger is expensive! It's like $65!

Reaper16
08-21-2012, 07:41 PM
If you don't own Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey then you ain't shit.

I want to second Quick's recommendation of the totally obscure but wonderful The Haunting: starring Poulterguy.

One of my very favorite strategy games of all time was the Genesis' Ghengis Kahn II: Clan of the Gray Wolf.

Ceej
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I remember my first and only Sega Genesis.

Bought one at a pawn shop with my hard earned money from chores.

Got it home, hooked up...

And no sound. :(

lcarus
08-21-2012, 08:08 PM
If you don't own Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey then you ain't shit.

I want to second Quick's recommendation of the totally obscure but wonderful The Haunting: starring Poulterguy.

One of my very favorite strategy games of all time was the Genesis' Ghengis Kahn II: Clan of the Gray Wolf.

My god I LOVE Mutant League Hockey. I never played ML Football strangely, considering how much I love football and am not even a hockey fan really. Its just a fun game. I love getting in fights and beating the shit outta the opposition lol.

I looked it up, and its about 20-30 bucks for a used copy. I've been to several Vintage Stocks and Game Xchanges down here and have never seen either of them.

lcarus
08-21-2012, 08:11 PM
By the way, if anyone has any NES, SNES, or Genesis games you don't want anymore, I'd be glad to work something out and buy some. I'll list the games I already have later tonight.

Demonpenz
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM
There was a game called Conflict for SNES that drove my dad nuts. He would be like "BUY A FUCKING BOARD GAME"

Demonpenz
08-21-2012, 09:43 PM
cool thread. Love retro stuff

Barrymore50
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Kid Chameleon for Sega Genesis is da coolest.

lcarus
08-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Sweet I found Donkey Kong Country for 6 bucks, Killer Instinct for 3 bucks, and Turtles In Time for 10. I've almost got all the SNES games I really want. Still need FF III, Demon's Crest, and a few more I can't think of at the moment. The collection is getting pretty big.

blaise
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM

We had it but it almost never worked. It listed all the games but only two or three ever seemed to load. Road Rash was one and a college football game.
I remember the college football was cool because after a play you could press a button and your player would take his helmet off and stand there. It was a great way to make the person you played against angry. If you were winning after every play you'd make your player take off his helmet.

Luke Warm
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Sweet I found Donkey Kong Country for 6 bucks, Killer Instinct for 3 bucks, and Turtles In Time for 10. I've almost got all the SNES games I really want. Still need FF III, Demon's Crest, and a few more I can't think of at the moment. The collection is getting pretty big.

Ever play Secret Of Mana?

lcarus
08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Ever play Secret Of Mana?

No but ive always wanted to

notorious
08-23-2012, 10:31 PM

After FFIII, it is my favorite game for SNES.

The translated sequel for it is available via rom, and the prequel to SOM is on Gameboy.

chiefzilla1501
08-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I really don't care if people judge, but Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion was an unbelievably creative game.

Now that I got that out of my system, loved Ghouls and Ghosts, Revenge of Shinobi, World Series Baseball, Lakers vs. Celtics, and man... Super Hang On. Couldn't get enough of Super Hang On.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Supposedly Toejam and Earl is coming to PSN/XBLA.

QuikSsurfer
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Supposedly Toejam and Earl is coming to PSN/XBLA.

Original music and online co-op or bust.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Original music and online co-op or bust.

Yes.

I can't imagine they'd mess with the music. It's not like it's licensed or owed royalties on.

It would be pretty worthless without online co-op IMO.

QuikSsurfer
08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes.

I can't imagine they'd mess with the music. It's not like it's licensed or owed royalties on.

It would be pretty worthless without online co-op IMO.

Are you going to double dip on Dark Souls PC edition?
I picked it up - new content looks amazing. A member at neogaf has already released a fix for the locked resolution.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Is Secret of Mana a turn-based RPG? Because I'm not a fan of those. They have to be really really good for me to enjoy them. Like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (or 6), Parasite Eve, etc.

Luke Warm
08-24-2012, 03:42 PM

It's like turn based (like final fantasy) and free play (link to the past) put together. You do eventually gain a total of 3 people in your party. You control whichever you want and the computer works the other 2. In this game once you swing your weapon your meter goes to 0%, it immediately starts recharging back to 100%. The closer to 100% the more damage that swing will make. The time it takes to charge back to 100% is about 2-3 seconds. More strategic fighting than usual. The game is so much fun tho. Get it dude, you won't regret it. You won't find it for less than $35 I'd guesstimate.

Aspengc8
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM
My buddy and i used to play rampart for hours straight. What a great game.

Anyone used to have a jaguar? The Alien vs predator game was awesome.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 05:43 PM
My buddy and i used to play rampart for hours straight. What a great game.

Anyone used to have a jaguar? The Alien vs predator game was awesome.

I'm planning on getting a Jaguar, 32X, Sega CD, and some other shitty consoles eventually.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Glad I got all these old games. Something to do while I watch this shitfest against Seattle...

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm planning on getting a Jaguar, 32X, Sega CD, and some other shitty consoles eventually.

Why even bother with those? I can't think of a single quality game I ever played on the Jaguar or 32X.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you going to double dip on Dark Souls PC edition?
I picked it up - new content looks amazing. A member at neogaf has already released a fix for the locked resolution.

Naw...don't want to start a new character when they will release that content for PS3...eventually.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Why even bother with those? I can't think of a single quality game I ever played on the Jaguar or 32X.

I know. I'm collecting a bunch of retro shit for no real reason. It's stupid, I know, but they're cheap.

Superturtle
08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
You want a game that is hard as balls, go for battletoads.

notorious
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Is Secret of Mana a turn-based RPG? Because I'm not a fan of those. They have to be really really good for me to enjoy them. Like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (or 6), Parasite Eve, etc.

It's like Zelda, only with a LOT more weapons, magic, and different enemys.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-25-2012, 06:27 PM

I broke more than one controller playing that damn game

Never beat the thing either

lcarus
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM

Seems like almost all these retro games are hard. Everything I try to play I get my ass kicked. I swear I was better at games when I was like 5 years old lol.

I can't beat a single damn level in any Mega Man game it seems. My brother is the Mega Man guy in the family. I love the games, but I'm better off watching him play them. I'm gonna go back to playing Metroid Prime. Forgot how awesome that game is

Superturtle
08-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Battletoads and its spinoffs are commonly listed as some of, if not the hardest games ever. Rat Race and clinger winger still make me rage.

QuikSsurfer
08-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Battletoads and its spinoffs are commonly listed as some of, if not the hardest games ever. Rat Race and clinger winger still make me rage.

Battletoads was super fucking difficult. I don't think anybody ever made it past level 3... This shit brings back nightmares

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSOvBAWh7FTfdkLqYtPiyrl1Ggsb4A8TcF4q8H9qkq8WI6hFdC&t=1

notorious
08-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Battletoads was super ****ing difficult. I don't think anybody ever made it past level 3... This shit brings back nightmares

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSOvBAWh7FTfdkLqYtPiyrl1Ggsb4A8TcF4q8H9qkq8WI6hFdC&t=1

I played that game on an emulator with quick save and that level still gave me problems.

The multi-background scrolling was unheard of on the NES.

Fishpicker
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Strider
Lakers vs. Celtics
Eye of the Beholder (CD)
The Immortal
Castlevania (3?)
Mega Man 1-3
Gauntlet 1-4
World Series baseball
too many ShmUps to name

if you're into Sonic games and only want to buy one, get the Sonic 3-in-1 classic. it has Sonic 1 and 2 along with Dr. Robotnik Mean Machine.

if you love Sega games you gotta check out talking classics. this shit is hilarious
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sOt1c9nJRqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KILLER_CLOWN
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Populous and Populous II

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Beating Mike Tyson in punchout was a cakewalk compared to that fucking battletoads level.

ThaVirus
08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Speaking of, I've been having a huge Jonesin' for the old school Pokemon games. Does anyone know of a site that I could play them?

CoMoChief
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
LMAO anyone remember the 3DO gaming console?

The dreamcast (which actually had some kickass games)
- best football game to date was NFL2k for Dreamcast. Randy Moss was God in that game.

CoMoChief
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Speaking of, I've been having a huge Jonesin' for the old school Pokemon games. Does anyone know of a site that I could play them?

Haha everything about this post screams gay

ThaVirus
08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I was in elementary school when Pokemon was big in America. Step off, broseph.

ThaVirus
08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Actually any site with SNES and Sega Genesis emulators would be appreciated.

QuikSsurfer
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
LMAO anyone remember the 3DO gaming console?

The dreamcast (which actually had some kickass games)
- best football game to date was NFL2k for Dreamcast. Randy Moss was God in that game.

My favorite console.
Shenmue 1 and 2(god tier game)
Powerstone 2 (god tier)
RE: Code Veronica
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (best version of this game next to the arcade)
Jet Grind Radio
NFL2k series
NHL2k series
Crazy Taxi

and lol at "3DO gaming" --- if you could call that gaming.

QuikSsurfer
08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Actually any site with SNES and Sega Genesis emulators would be appreciated.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/genesis/fusion.html

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html

Both of these emulators are fantastic. You're welcome.

Don't ask for ROMs.

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I have a coleco vision in a box somewhere lol. Anyone remember that system?

Fishpicker
08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I have a coleco vision in a box somewhere lol. Anyone remember that system?

yeah that was a sweet console even though it wasn't long lived. Before NES, the colecovision was the console that ported arcade games the most accurately.

SLAG
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Time to bust out the Modded PSP and play some SEGA!

Fishpicker
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Populous and Populous II

I completely forgot about those. EA put out some great games back then.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-27-2012, 10:50 PM
My favorite console.
Shenmue 1 and 2(god tier game)
Powerstone 2 (god tier)
RE: Code Veronica
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (best version of this game next to the arcade)
Jet Grind Radio
NFL2k series
NHL2k series
Crazy Taxi

and lol at "3DO gaming" --- if you could call that gaming.

Jet Grind Radio is coming out for PC in September.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I completely forgot about those. EA put out some great games back then.

and now....they suck...and badly...

ThaVirus
08-28-2012, 12:25 AM
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/genesis/fusion.html

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html

Both of these emulators are fantastic. You're welcome.

Don't ask for ROMs.

Thanks. I'm assuming these will be safe to download?

And aren't the ROMs the games? Why can't I ask for those?

lcarus
08-28-2012, 10:41 AM

There's a site called Romhustler.net or something. They have roms there

Fishpicker
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM

the reason you cant get the emulator and ROMs in the same place is because the ROMs are copyrighted.

Superturtle
08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
If you have a smartphone gbcoid is another Rom player that works on your cell. I put yellow, crystal, and the old tcg on there.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Just saw an article on IGN that Gamestop stores are considering getting into the vintage game business. Apparently old NES, SNES, and Genesis games sell really well on ebay and they want a piece of that pie. I've been buying a lot of games lately. Yesterday I got a copy of Bucky O'Hare for NES. Good game. Underrated. It was 3.95.

Superturtle
08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
They'll overcharged the shit out of it.

SLAG
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM

I agree

Gamestop is awful

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Just saw an article on IGN that Gamestop stores are considering getting into the vintage game business. Apparently old NES, SNES, and Genesis games sell really well on ebay and they want a piece of that pie. I've been buying a lot of games lately. Yesterday I got a copy of Bucky O'Hare for NES. Good game. Underrated. It was 3.95.

I agree

Gamestop is awful

Yeah but people are already overcharging the shit out of them. A few years ago I went out and bought an SNES and a Genesis (i was having severe bouts of nostalgia). I was going to pick up Super Mario All Stars and the assholes at the swap meet wanted $30 freaking bucks for it. I thought it'd be like $5 or something.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah but people are already overcharging the shit out of them. A few years ago I went out and bought an SNES and a Genesis (i was having severe bouts of nostalgia). I was going to pick up Super Mario All Stars and the assholes at the swap meet wanted $30 freaking bucks for it. I thought it'd be like $5 or something.

You know, it seems the prices on these classic games has really gone up the last year or two. Thats why shitty Gamestop wants in on it I bet

Luke Warm
08-31-2012, 12:42 PM

That's how much I paid for my All-Stars. All the great classic games will be in the $25-$60 vicinity.

lcarus
08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
That's how much I paid for my All-Stars. All the great classic games will be in the $25-$60 vicinity.

Theres some deals out there