PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The First String vs. the Rams

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I think Cassel played about as well as you can expect him to, considering his limitations.

Tipped passes are always going to happen with him, especially when he eyeballs McCluster as often as he does. Criticizing him for that at this point is like criticizing a tree for being too slow.

The first turnover was obviously not his fault, that's on Baldwin.

But Cassel put together three quality drives, out of three attempts, after the Baldwin fumble. The first drive started inside his own 20, and it stalled at midfield after Rodney Hudson couldn't get to the 2nd level to block the guy who got to Draughn behind the line of scrimmage.

The second drive was the quality, ball-control, smart passing, strong running offense this team will exemplify this year. Ended in a touchdown. The third drive was the one-minute-drill. Cassel drove the team down the field, and gave the team the best endzone chance it had -- Baldwin to the post against a single corner. When that didn't work out, FG.

Stanzi looks, officially, like the third string development QB. Quinn looked steady enough to earn the #2 job unless Stanzi looks magical at some point.

The RBs were all solid, although I think Draughn is a bit overrated. So great to see Charles at it again -- such a slippery guy. He juked Laurinitis out of his pants at one point, and Laurinitis is a very mobile LB.

We tried out Shane Bannon at starting FB this week, and it was a disaster. Not only can he not block, but he can't block. There's no blocking in his blocks and his blocks don't look like blocks. HE CAN'T BLOCK. Add to the fact that he's slow and has no use in the passing game, and you might as well trot Eachus back in there. At least Eachus can block. I wanted Bannon to succeed, but it was clear last year that he sucked, and this year it's even more clear.

Baldwin does not look like a feature WR just yet. He's definitely got the tools, but we need to gradually work him in as a component at this point. The slant pass to open the game was a good start, maybe get him on a few dragging routes across the middle. Get him moving somewhere before you make him work the outside. Get his confidence way up.

McCluster, solid again. Made a really impressive catch from a rolling Cassel with a defender draped all over him. I think McCluster is underrated around ChiefsPlanet. He runs sharp routes, and has underrated hands. He really is our Amendola, the only difference is the canyon-wide gap in QB quality, and the Rams actually let Amendola run a variety of routes, rather than just the lowest branches of the route tree like we've asked McCluster to run.

I hope we find some space for Jamar Newsome. I think he's a pretty solid WR, and of the first two preseason games, Quinn and Stanzi are way more comfortable throwing to him than they are anybody else it seems. It's hard to tell because he does so much of his work offscreen, but I think he runs pretty decent routes and doesn't have butterfingers like a similarly talented backup WR, Josh Bellamy. He's very workmanlike.

Moeaki brought in a couple passes today, good for him. We were clearly forcing the ball to him on the first play of the game (a 0.5 yard out route) and his other catch was called back for holding. But I liked hearing his name again, his hands are as good as ever. And he's blocking well again. I think he was open a few more times when Cassel settled for one of his million checkdowns, too. Cassel is getting used to him, still. Hard to forget Mo didn't actually see the field with Cassel until two weeks ago.

Boss, however, looks like he has better chemistry with Cassel. Probably because Mo has slowly been recovering all offseason. But Cassel looks for him in ways that were pretty similar to how he looked for Mo in 2010. He saw him down the seam, he saw him across the middle. Also the coaches trust Boss a lot more as well. He blocked pretty well all game, but they asked him to take on passrushing linebackers (Higgins) all game by himself, most of the time winning. But he did lose a couple times. But the coaches love Boss.

The OL was pretty good. Albert had a couple penalties, but one of them was phantom. Otherwise, he continued last week's domination. Although there was one play we asked Shane Bannon, not our franchise LT, to block the Rams best passrusher. That had to be play design, rather than Albert taking a shit. Right? Because Quinn beat Bannon like a red-headed stepchild and Cassel got sacked.

Lilja got overpowered a couple times, as is his MO, but always in the up-the-gut Hillis run plays. Clearly Jeff Allen has a lot more power to him than Lilja does, so we won't have to tolerate this problem long. Asamoah and Winston are money on the right side. Add Boss in there, as the Chiefs often did, and you get a guaranteed three yards of push every play.

Rodney Hudson continues to concern me. He did better this week, because he was only wrestling a 4-3 2-technique instead of a massive 0-technique nose tackle. But there were at least a couple plays where Hudson failed to pull effectively and get out in space. The first was the play we all remember, Charles running into Breaston's back and going down. That was created by Laurinitis, who charged past Albert unmolested to pressure Charles, who promptly juked the fuck out of him. The problem? It took Charles so much to get around him that he charged into Breaston. Hudston was pulling that play, and Laurinitis was his man (although, once realizing he missed him, he kept going downfield to block another guy -- the right thing to do).

The other play was Cassel's stalled drive at midfield. Draughn was supposed to run the ball behind Albert, who had his guy dominated. The problem was that Hudson was supposed to free himself and get to the second level and take out the first guy darting to Albert's far side. Hudson was about 20 minutes too late, and the guy takes out Draughn in the backfield. Chiefs punt.

As for the defense.......

I thought the 1st string defensive line is getting unfairly rapped around here. The defensive line's job is to stuff the OL and create for the LBs. Most of the first half, they were doing just that. The problem is that the LBs were either too far out of position (more of a problem with Johnson/Belcher), or they simply didn't do their job of plugging the holes (more of a problem with Siler/Greenwood). There were only one or two plays where Jackson, Toribio, and/or Dorsey were legitimately washed.

Take, for instance, Jackson's first 9-yard run up the gut. Toribio had his men occupied. Jackson, however, fell down. He had his guy handled but lost his footing, otherwise he'd be there to plug the gap. This stuff happens. What shouldn't happen is that the LB behind him, which I believe was Belcher in this case, ends up getting stuck behind Dorsey, the complete opposite side of the DL. Jackson doesn't get touched until Berry or Lewis save the day shy of the first down marker.

Pitoitua and Poe, when they came in, suffered the same fate. More often than not, they held their ground, Pitoitua in particular (what a bargain this guy was). Jackson's 13 or 14 yard run off the right tackle came from Houston not manning his responsibility very well, and also Barry Richardson getting away with holding him.

I like DJ and Belcher a lot, and I know a blown responsibility with them is rarer than not. But still, let's call a spade a spade. RBs went down the teeth of the defense at least twice because the LBs were not doing their jobs.

I think Houston and Hali played decently well. Sam Bradford reminds me a lot of Phillip Rivers, he's very rhythm-based and gets the ball out quickly. The most you can hope for is consistent pressure on him. We lacked that in the first drive but ended up getting more as the first half went on. Poe put him on his ass. Hali put him on his ass. When Clemens finished the half out, Poe knocked a ball down. Hali got to him as well.

But the Rams gameplanned pretty well for us, and punked our back seven more than a few times. The two biggest punkers were Lance Kendricks and Amendola.

Kendricks is a talented tight end, but the Rams consistently attempted to disguise him as a blocker only to release him downfield. This worked once when he was inline and Belcher was responsible for him. Presnap Belcher eyed him and inched away from him to the LOS, suggesting Belcher was sold on Kendricks as a blocker. Kendricks then releases and Belcher is a mile behind him the entire play. Later in the half, Berry was following Kendricks' every pre-snap movement, and Kendricks ends up right next to Bradford in the shotgun. At this point Berry inches up to the A-gap and starts to hit the LOS when the ball is snapped. Kendricks is released to the flat, and Berry is a mile behind him by the time he figures it out. Berry's fast enough, just barely, to prevent the first down. But not by much.

Amendola, I think, is just a case of the wrong guy covering him more often than not. We will see a handful of Amendolas throughout the regular season. Fast, squiggly little guys like McCluster and Wylie. The idea is to put the right corner on him, not to just assume any secondary player will do. These guys survive in the NFL because they punish folks who can't cover them properly.

You put Brandon Flowers on him. You put Javier Arenas on him. Maybe later when he gets on the field, you put DaQuan Menzie on him. You don't put Jalil Brown on him, who is made to cover lankier possession receivers (and did a decent job of it when put on such a receiver). You don't put Routt on him, who's made to cover more physical receivers. And you don't put any safety not named Eric Berry on him, Kendrick Lewis simply doesn't have the quickness or straight-line speed to keep up with him.

The one target Amendola received while Arenas was on him was the touchdown pass. Arenas had him blanketed, and Amendola had to make a fantastic catch to reel it in. That's what you do to neutralize him. I'm willing to bet Amendola can't make amazing catches all the time. Clamping him down with Arenas would do the trick.

All told, the Rams got up on us early, but in the 2nd quarter it was clear we were the better team. If we continue to come out in the 2nd half of a theoretical regular season game against the Rams with the right assignments with our secondary players, LBs in position, and Rodney Hudson blocking a little better, this game is a Chiefs victory.

I haven't broken down the second strings too well yet. But that's what I saw in the first string.

Coogs
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Not to nitpick, but there was that 3-and-Out series midway through the 2nd period. Two penalties were too much to overcome.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Not to nitpick, but there was that 3-and-Out series midway through the 2nd period. Two penalties were too much to overcome.

Ah. Right.

Forgot that one.

Hard to pin that on Cassel, easier to pin it on the refs for the phantom call.

Coogs
08-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Ah. Right.

Forgot that one.

Hard to pin that on Cassel, easier to pin it on the refs for the phantom call.

Fair enough!

Nightfyre
08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
On a side note - Patterson once again had a good game and Darryl Harris still sucks.

Nightfyre
08-19-2012, 12:52 PM
It is clear to me that Fisher went all out in this game. We are talking about defensive line stunts and advanced blitzes. On the offensive side of the ball, you have scripted timing routes. Gameplanning against the Rams would have resulted in some press coverage at the line rather than playing soft coverage. CP needs to grow some eyeballs and quit overreacting when the two teams clearly prepared differently.

Canofbier
08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Nice analysis. I agree with most of what you said. It was a shock to me how I'd never noticed how terrible Bannon is; I never really took the opportunity to watch him play last season, but he was "look at me" bad yesterday.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 01:03 PM
On a side note - Patterson once again had a good game and Darryl Harris still sucks.

How did Rob Bruggeman look?

LMAO

Nightfyre
08-19-2012, 01:07 PM
How did Rob Bruggeman look?

LMAO
Peterson > Bruggeman LMAO

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Peterson > Bruggeman LMAO

PATTERSON

WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS

Nightfyre
08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
W/E Stanzi sucks and Nebraska rules and is still a force in college football /WHOAMI?

Ace Gunner
08-19-2012, 01:21 PM
"Take, for instance, Jackson's first 9-yard run up the gut. Toribio had his men occupied. Jackson, however, fell down. He had his guy handled but lost his footing, otherwise he'd be there to plug the gap. This stuff happens. What shouldn't happen is that the LB behind him, which I believe was Belcher in this case, ends up getting stuck behind Dorsey, the complete opposite side of the DL. Jackson doesn't get touched until Berry or Lewis save the day shy of the first down marker."

They ran that play at the RDE b gap and Toribio got up field on the play, but didn't make the tackle. Then it was Dorsey's turn -- he didn't get off his block even though he had time to see Jackson coming and get off. Then it was DJ's turn -- he had already shot the hole and was 5 yards into the backfield while Jackson was running past the line. Belcher's job in that play was to take away the outside lane, which he did. It was a comedy of errors reminiscent of years past.

Wallcrawler
08-19-2012, 01:21 PM
It is clear to me that Fisher went all out in this game. We are talking about defensive line stunts and advanced blitzes. On the offensive side of the ball, you have scripted timing routes. Gameplanning against the Rams would have resulted in some press coverage at the line rather than playing soft coverage. CP needs to grow some eyeballs and quit overreacting when the two teams clearly prepared differently.

Yeah, Fisher didnt treat this like your normal pre-season game which is usually a lot of vanilla stuff so as not to give away anything before the games start to count.

That, combined with the fact that he just was in go for it mode on 4th down makes the Chiefs look a bit worse than they actually were. Both of the TDs off of the turnovers took a 4th down conversion to get done. Its at least a small glimpse of silver lining, the defense held for 3 downs on both drives, they just couldnt get it done on 4th.

I feel like if it were a regular season game, those would probably have been field goals, and small victories for our defense on a short field.

Rams Fan
08-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Fisher didnt treat this like your normal pre-season game which is usually a lot of vanilla stuff so as not to give away anything before the games start to count.

That, combined with the fact that he just was in go for it mode on 4th down makes the Chiefs look a bit worse than they actually were. Both of the TDs off of the turnovers took a 4th down conversion to get done. Its at least a small glimpse of silver lining, the defense held for 3 downs on both drives, they just couldnt get it done on 4th.

I feel like if it were a regular season game, those would probably have been field goals, and small victories for our defense on a short field.

The Rams went for it against the Colts, too.

Fisher's reasoning has been to see plays in order to evaluate players.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Very solid post.

SDKCCHIEFS
08-19-2012, 02:20 PM
anyone have a gif or a vid of charles jukin luarantias?

Count Alex's Losses
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
It is clear to me that Fisher went all out in this game.

We got owned by a very good head coach.

Jeff Fisher is fucking awesome.

What a fucking badass Jeff Fisher is.

Nightfyre
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Are you fucking kidding me Wendler? You are such a troll.

RunKC
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Jeff Fisher is ****ing awesome.

What a ****ing badass Jeff Fisher is.

Fisher is the king of mediocrity.

Bowser
08-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Frankly, it may end up being a good thing that Fisher went all out on us. Gives the coaches some great film to analyze and break down.

Rams Fan
08-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Jeff Fisher is ****ing awesome.

What a ****ing badass Jeff Fisher is.

LMAO

Fisher is above average, but Jesus. I'm a fucking Rams fan and admit he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rams Fan
08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Frankly, it may end up being a good thing that Fisher went all out on us. Gives the coaches some great film to analyze and break down.

Him going for it on 4th isn't anything new, though. He wasn't trying to be aggressive. He's trying to run more plays in order to evaluate players instead of punting/kicking FGs. Did the samething last week on the first possession of the game.

mlyonsd
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Frankly, it may end up being a good thing that Fisher went all out on us. Gives the coaches some great film to analyze and break down.Probably the best take we can take away from that mess last night.

Bowser
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Him going for it on 4th isn't anything new, though. He wasn't trying to be aggressive. He's trying to run more plays in order to evaluate players instead of punting/kicking FGs. Did the samething last week on the first possession of the game.

I never like to see my team get kicked around, but if it's going to happen, have it happen earlier in preseason so coaches can break it down. Hopefully.

Bowser
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Probably the best take we can take away from that mess last night.

Did you hear Cassel was 15 of 18?

I can't remember if they mentioned that roughly 50 times last night.

mlyonsd
08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Did you hear Cassel was 15 of 18?

I can't remember if they mentioned that roughly 50 times last night.I thought I heard that on the radio feed but was overwhelmed by CP on how bad Stanzi sucked to know if it was real.

DJ's left nut
08-19-2012, 05:58 PM
By "Arenas blanketed him" I assume you meant "Arenas fouled the hell out of him..." He absolutely mugged Amendola on that play.

Arenas just ran through the guy and did a shit job of even attempting to locate the ball. Arenas is a bad corner that is slightly less bad when the play is in front of him. If he has to turn and run with a man, he's complete toast.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
By "Arenas blanketed him" I assume you meant "Arenas fouled the hell out of him..." He absolutely mugged Amendola on that play.

Arenas just ran through the guy and did a shit job of even attempting to locate the ball. Arenas is a bad corner that is slightly less bad when the play is in front of him. If he has to turn and run with a man, he's complete toast.

I thought Arenas hit Amendola around the same time the ball arrived.

Count Alex's Losses
08-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Fisher is the king of mediocrity.

He's fucking awesome.

And he owned that fat pussy Romeo.

DA_T_84
08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Didn't Jeff Allen get blown up on a bullrush at some point?

I feel like he looked like a bitch at some point.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Didn't Jeff Allen get blown up on a bullrush at some point?

I feel like he looked like a bitch at some point.

I posted about it in the other thread.

Allen was blown up during the Stanzi fumble play. He ended up in Stanzi's lap, which sent Stanzi running and would eventually cough up the ball.

Chocolate Hog
08-19-2012, 06:12 PM

That never was a good pick. Baffles me how people defend it.

Count Alex's Losses
08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I posted about it in the other thread.

Allen was blown up during the Stanzi fumble play. He ended up in Stanzi's lap, which sent Stanzi running and would eventually cough up the ball.

2 Pioli draft picks sucking ass on one snap.

Music to my ears.

milkman
08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
LMAO

Fisher is above average, but Jesus. I'm a ****ing Rams fan and admit he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I really can't find a way to feel sorry for the Rams.

Jeff Fisher is the absolute king of mediocrity, as pointed out earlier.

But we had the first king, so **** 'em, and were straddled with one of his court jesters for a couple of years.

So, long live the new king.

JASONSAUTO
08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
2 Pioli draft picks sucking ass on one snap.

Music to my ears.

Dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Alex's Losses
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff Allen was a 2nd round pick.

He should be kicking ass in 2nd half of preseason games.

Pretty bad that he is not.

JASONSAUTO
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Pretty bad that he is not. he did last week. Inconsistency and complacency come from being young.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
08-19-2012, 06:44 PM
WickedReckoning

ChiefRocka
08-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Pretty bad that he is not.

How many men guaranteed to make the 53 are giving 100% in the second half of a preseason game?