PDA

View Full Version : Life This lady needs to be locked up

Bump
08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Jail time is most definitely in her future. $600 per day in fines isn't going to do it, but of course once she accumulates enough fines that she can't pay she'll be going to jail anyways for it. This country does not care about the people.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/18/mom-who-serves-up-lunches-from-driveway-vows-to-keep-feeding-kids/?test=latestnews

A Pennsylvania woman has vowed to continue doling out free lunches to children in her hardscrabble neighborhood, even though officials there have threatened to fine her $600 a day.

Angela Prattis, 41, was ordered by the Chester Township Council to wind down the makeshift dining room she runs in the driveway of her modest home during the summer for the hungry kids who come to her daily in search of a good meal. Under pressure from the community, the local leaders agreed to let Prattis finish her mission this summer, but told her she would need a zoning variance to resume the operation next summer.

"I'm going to continue to feed the children."

- Angela Prattis

"I'm going to continue to feed the children," Prattis told FoxNews.com. "I'm just doing this for the kids. I don't want a big fight.

"I just want to be in right standing with the town," added Prattis, who feeds 20 or more kids on some days. "I know how to follow protocol, as long as it's clearly defined."

The mother of four, who works as a massage therapist, says she serves up the lunches while the kids are out of school because many are too poor to get good lunches at home. Prattis gets the food from the Philadelphia Archdiocese, which makes daily deliveries of pre-packaged lunches, drinks and snacks to her doorstep. She pointed out that the archdiocese required her to take a preparatory class focusing on nutrition -- and other essentials -- before serving kids.

"I'm not working with some fly-by-night operation," she maintained. "This is the archdiocese, for crying out loud."

Prattis, her husband, Derrick, and their children recently moved into the home after living for years in the Delaware County Housing Projects in nearby Woodlyn. She says her new neighborhood isn't affluent, but the people are salt of the earth types.

"This isn't a working-class neighborhood," she quipped. "It's a hardworking-class neighborhood."

The neighborhood kids enjoy the lunches and benefit from the nutrition, she said.

"We have tons of children, here," Prattis said. "There's a lady who baby-sits a bunch of kids and she brings them around because the parents can't afford to have them in day care and feed them at the same time.

"We had a nasty storm last Wednesday, and I only set up one table because I didn't think the kids would come in the pouring rain," she said, before adding, "They all came. I served 20 children in the pouring rain."

On a typical summer weekday, neighborhood men set up three plastic tables in Prattis's driveway, along with about 25 folding chairs donated by The Church of The Overcomer in nearby Trainer, Pa. Food from the Archdiocese's "Feeding Program" arrives around 9:30 a.m. truck. Prattis said the eager children are usually on hand when the Archdiocese truck arrives, and help unload their own meals.

"They know that I'm committed and going to be there at that particular time for them. "It means a lot for them to have a friendly face that they know will be there every day. And for me, I know when they're with me, at the least, they are safe and having fun, and out of harm's way, and not getting into trouble."

But on July 31, Councilman William Kennard showed up at a meeting of the neighborhood civic association and told the gathering Prattis' free lunch program was unlawful. At the town council meeting two days later, elected officials voted to levy a $600-a-day fine for each day Prattis fed the kids.

Kennard could not be reached for comment.

Prattis continued to serve the meals, and, although no fine was levied, on Aug. 10 she received a letter from the township saying she could serve kids until Aug. 24, but that she must apply for a variance next year. It costs $1,000 to apply for the variance, she said, and there is no guarantee the council will accept it, Prattis said.

One way or another, she said she'll be feeding kids next summer.

"What's in my heart?" she asked. "I feel like they could be focusing on a lot of other serious issues that are taking place in my neighborhood, instead of something I think is very positive and keeping our kids on the right side of the law."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/18/mom-who-serves-up-lunches-from-driveway-vows-to-keep-feeding-kids/?test=latestnews#ixzz240oxfTtR

pimpchief
08-19-2012, 12:11 PM
You joking?

Bump
08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
You joking?

what she is doing is criminal and they are only threatening to fine her $600 per day? wow

pimpchief
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
They're only threatening the 600 dollars a day fine. This lady will go through the proper procedures and will be running legally soon. In my opinion she's just trying to be a good person. There's nothing criminal going on here.

BigMeatballDave
08-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Of course they're gonna fine her, she has to pay $1000 for it to be 'legal'.

Give her the Chair!

Ace Gunner
08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
stay in line comrade /new nation order

stevieray
08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
this is a perfect example of how bass ackwards we're becoming in society.

no good deed goes unpunished.

ThaVirus
08-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Costs $1000 just to do some good in this country. Fucking unbelievable.

Ace Gunner
08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
this is a perfect example of how bass ackwards we're becoming in society.

no good deed goes unpunished.

it's called nation building man. If you don't luv america, you can go /new nation order steward

loochy
08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
She is acting on behalf of a giant corporation and she doesn't care about the normal people

Flachief58
08-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Should she be licensed? Yes (can't having her serve up bad food). Should she go to jail or be fined? No, she's feeding hungry kids who's own parental units can't provide them with food.

Braincase
08-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing she pissed off the local McDonald's or Taco Bell owner.

threebag02
08-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Bitch be cutting in on the dolla menu/ Ronald

CoMoChief
08-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Should she be licensed? Yes (can't having her serve up bad food). Should she go to jail or be fined? No, she's feeding hungry kids who's own parental units can't provide them with food.

How would this be any different if your mom made lunches for the neighborhood kids?

Would she need a license to do that?

Bob Dole
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
$1000 for a variance to what ordinance? The "You can't have a picnic in your own driveway" rule?

stevieray
08-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Bitch be cutting in on the dolla menu/ Ronald
He's McHatin' it!

Flachief58
08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
How would this be any different if your mom made lunches for the neighborhood kids?

Would she need a license to do that?

Occasionally cooking a meal for a few kids is different than doing it on a daily basis. I applaude her for doing it, but she is basically a soup kitchen and should have to follow the same rules. Nothing against her, just have to make sure the food she serves is safe to eat. I do think the gubment should waive any fees if she can show that she handles the food properly

Bump
08-19-2012, 01:36 PM
one thing I learn from this article is that I will never, never, never ever ever help out another person I don't know. There are just too many risks involved with doing a good deed.

The God Hypothesis
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Occasionally cooking a meal for a few kids is different than doing it on a daily basis. I applaude her for doing it, but she is basically a soup kitchen and should have to follow the same rules. Nothing against her, just have to make sure the food she serves is safe to eat. I do think the gubment should waive any fees if she can show that she handles the food properly

I wonder what ass hat reported her? Nosy neighbors fucking suck.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree with FLACHIEF. She's doing a nice thing, but there are reasons for most rules and ordinances. If your next door neighbor started having 20 kids over every day, I suspect it might affect your peace and quiet. I'm not sure why they're not doing this in a more appropriate venue like one of the churches that is giving her stuff.

stevieray
08-19-2012, 03:41 PM
I agree with FLACHIEF. She's doing a nice thing, but there are reasons for most rules and ordinances. If your next door neighbor started having 20 kids over every day, I suspect it might affect your peace and quiet. I'm not sure why they're not doing this in a more appropriate venue like one of the churches that is giving her stuff.

Translation:GET OFF MY LAWN.

congrats, you're old.

Dave Lane
08-19-2012, 03:46 PM
one thing I learn from this article is that I will never, never, never ever ever help out another person I don't know. There are just too many risks involved with doing a good deed.

You're a Ron Paul supporter. Of course you won't. No reason to use this as an excuse.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Translation:GET OFF MY LAWN.

congrats, you're old.

I don't like children, and I'm going to keep any balls that get thrown in my yard.

But seriously, where is the line? When she's bringing 100 kids to the house every day? When she starts holding benefit acid rock concerts in the evenings? We have zoning requirements for a reason.

stevieray
08-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't like children, and I'm going to keep any balls that get thrown in my yard.

But seriously, where is the line?

....where her property starts.

Bowser
08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Misleading thread title. Should have read This Lady Needs an Award.

Ban him.

BIG_DADDY
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
The bureaucrats need to get paid, fuck these kids.

Guru
08-19-2012, 09:07 PM
what she is doing is criminal and they are only threatening to fine her $600 per day? wow

JFC:rolleyes:

EDIT

nevermind. just realized you are being facetious.

La literatura
08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
It shouldn't cost $1000 to apply for a variance. Actually, it shouldn't cost more than $25 for the paperwork/time to apply for a variance from a zoning ordinance.

There's a reason we have zoning: it is more cost-effective than suing the individual for nuisance. You have a right to enjoy your property, and if your neighbor's soup kitchen is ruining the enjoyment of your property, you can sue that person. The zoning ordinance is like the default, cost-effective way of dealing with nuisances.

We've been able to sue people for nuisances for many centuries. The zoning ordinance developed in the early 20th century so we wouldn't have to spend so much time and money doing it by ourselves.

Tombstone RJ
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
title of this thread should be "when government fails"