PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So...why did we draft Donald Stephenson again?

RunKC
08-19-2012, 12:52 PM
So we feel so good about him being a backup, that we bring in two vets and now are looking for a 3rd to play his spot?

I expect a 3rd round pick to at least be able to hold a backup job.

I didn't like this pick at all and I still don't. Why not draft Cousins (who looks like a BAMF right now)? What about Chris Givens?

I still think we wanted Brandon Taylor, but when the Chargers took him, we panicked.

milkman
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I may not always agree with the picks.

I certainly didn't agree with the Stephenson pick, and I do think that Taylor was the player they were targeting.

But I don't think that they panicked.

I may not like it.
You may not like it, but Stephenson was almost assuredly the next guy on their board.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
russell wilson went with the next pick.

loochy
08-19-2012, 12:58 PM
well you've got to pick SOMEBODY when it's your turn

The Bad Guy
08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
What vets were brought in?

milkman
08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
What vets were brought in?

Ugoh and Willis.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I may not always agree with the picks.

I certainly didn't agree with the Stephenson pick, and I do think that Taylor was the player they were targeting.

But I don't think that they panicked.

I may not like it.
You may not like it, but Stephenson was almost assuredly the next guy on their board.

I'm pretty sure Stephenson was on their board the day he was brought in for the Chiefs' local talent day during draft season.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
:facepalm:

KcMizzou
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Ask Pioli next time you guys go to lunch.

Ace Gunner
08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
So we feel so good about him being a backup, that we bring in two vets and now are looking for a 3rd to play his spot?

I didn't like this pick at all and I still don't. Why not draft Cousins (who looks like a BAMF right now)? What about Chris Givens?

I still think we wanted Brandon Taylor, but when the Chargers took him, we panicked.

They drafted Stephenson to be a swing tackle according to Romeo. They brought in Ugoh to teach Stephenson. They brought in Willis, same deal. These vets may not have made it to the roster, the staff may have just wanted them for mentoring and the players just couldn't stick with it. Also, they needed 3rd string guys for TC.

I don't see why the big fuss, Stephenson moves well, has good feet and huge span. He's the best player on the #2 OL most of the time.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Ugoh and Willis.

At least the good news is that Stephenson brutalized them so badly that they ran away.

chiefzilla1501
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't see the problem with the pick. First of all, he was the 74th pick. We have to stop acting like great players grow on trees around this part of the draft.

More importantly, there's enough about the kid to like. I thought it was a nice boom/bust pick. A guy like Mike Adams, for example, is a guy who will be average his entire career, but he probably doesn't have huge downside potential. A guy like Stephenson... he has the footwork and athletic ability to be a very good left tackle.

And as a pro team, you HAVE to always be building a pipeline of young guys you can pick up off the shelf. One day, Albert will either get injured, or the Chiefs won't be able to afford him. That's when you want a guy like Stephenson who can step in and start right away. But in the 3rd round, if you're a left tackle, you're going to have a lot of developmental issues.

I liked the pick. The Chiefs badly need offensive line depth and I like the idea of the Chiefs starting to go bold on "risk" picks at positions of high positional value vs. a safe pick, which is what we've done in the past.

DaneMcCloud
08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
They drafted Stephenson to be a swing tackle according to Romeo. They brought in Ugoh to teach Stephenson. They brought in Willis, same deal. These vets may not have made it to the roster, the staff may have just wanted them for mentoring and the players just couldn't stick with it. Also, they needed 3rd string guys for TC.

LMAO

Your posts are comedy gold.

Marcellus
08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I could be be wrong but I think he was drafted to play on the OL.

He just doesn't have the skills or past history to drop 40lbs and become a potential Al-Pro Tight End like Maneri.

Chocolate Hog
08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Wasn't a big fan of the Stephenson pick especially in the 3rd round but he does have some talent and could develop into a nice player in a few years. What makes you think they "panicked"?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Why not make up another story and post a thread, it would beat this abortion.

Chocolate Hog
08-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Why not make up another story and post a thread, it would beat this abortion.

Whos that in your avatar?

Slainte
08-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Should have drafted Stephen R. Donaldson instead...

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Stephenson wasn't the weak link on the second string OL.

He had a pretty good second half.

Jeff Allen was the one struggling against his guy. Harris and Mims weren't doing too hot on the other side either.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Whos that in your avatar?

Ricky Stanzi!!

aturnis
08-19-2012, 03:46 PM

WHAT?! Where did you get the idea that we brought in 3 players to play his spot? We gave a few old guys some extra retirement money to come and stand on the ends of the 3rd stringers Oline. Stephenson has taken most/all the preseason snaps in the first two games with the second stringers has he not?

'the hell is wrong with you? :shrug:

Hog Farmer
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM
You guys are fucking morons ! Watch what he did in the AZ game. He can replace Albert next year if necessary.

jd1020
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
You guys are ****ing morons ! Watch what he did in the AZ game. He can replace Albert next year if necessary.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg /Saccapoo

CoMoChief
08-19-2012, 06:07 PM
WE ARE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE 12/21/12