PDA

View Full Version : Football The USFL

Deberg_1990
08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone ever watch it and remember the games?

I was too young to remember much about it, but i just watched the 30 for 30 ESPN special about it. Pretty interesting. They made it seem as if the league was extrememly close to taking on the NFL, but Donald Trump came in and wanted to expand too soon, too fast.

Pretty amazing the number of guys who started in the USFL and went on to have success in the NFL.

Steve Young
Jim Kelly
Herschel Walker
Dough Flutie
Reggie White
Sam Mills

to name a few.....

chefsos
08-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Steve Young
Jim Kelly
Herschel Walker
Dough Flutie
Reggie White
Sam Mills

to name a few.....Carl Peterson!

Deberg_1990
08-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Carl Peterson!

heh, yea he was actually in the documentary.

The Philly Stars were the "Dynasty" of the league.

chefsos
08-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Seriously, I did watch some of those USFL games. NJ Generals games would catch my eye because from a distance it looked like the Chiefs. I remember when they signed Brian Sipe and thought that was a big deal, then they just said fuck it, we'll go get Flutie too. The Stars had a RB named Kelvin Bryant who I thought was better than Herschel at the time.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Carl Peterson!

He just got lucky because he had Chuck Fusina. A franchise quarterback makes any GM smart, which Carl Peterson learned and took to heart.

Gonzo
08-19-2012, 05:35 PM
It's a shame they didn't make it...

It was the only league that could have competed with the NFL. Now the NFL is way too big for anyone to seriously give them a run.

chefsos
08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
He just got lucky because he had Chuck Fusina. A franchise quarterback makes any GM smart, which Carl Peterson learned and took to heart.It's just a shame he chose to stash Blackledge in KC. He may have even pushed Fusina for practice reps. You know, there weren't many dual NFL/USFL general managers in those days, not many at all.

Mojo Jojo
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I went to the Championship Game at Giants Stadium in '85...the last game ever played.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
It's just a shame he chose to stash Blackledge in KC. He may have even pushed Fusina for practice reps. You know, there weren't many dual NFL/USFL general managers in those days, not many at all.

I always thought he was just using the Chiefs as his farm system for Philadelphia. Huge conflict of interest running both organizations at once. We never even got Irv Eatman until the USFL went down.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I went to the Championship Game at Giants Stadium in '85...the last game ever played.

That's a cool piece of trivia.

My meager equivalent is that I attended the last pro baseball game at Mile High Stadium, but that's not as cool as seeing the last USFL game.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

It was the only league that could have competed with the NFL. Now the NFL is way too big for anyone to seriously give them a run.

Pretty much the impression I got. They stole 3 Heisman Trophy winners in a row from the NFL.

The XFL and the UFL were never even close to something like that.

mlyonsd
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
That's a cool piece of trivia.

My meager equivalent is that I attended the last pro baseball game at Mile High Stadium, but that's not as cool as seeing the last USFL game.You're right only because there wasn't anything cool about Pile high.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Pretty much the impression I got. They stole 3 Heisman Trophy winners in a row from the NFL.

The XFL and the UFL were never even close to something like that.

They definitely seemed like a legit league. I watched some of their games and I think a new viewer wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between them and the NFL. They had a lot of high-caliber players. I think they were definitely on the same arc as the old AFL, but they couldn't sustain it.

I was a little too young for the World Football League, and it also existed before cable TV and stuff. But they nabbed the starting running backs from the Dolphins not long after their Super Bowl wins, so it seems like they briefly were competitive. I don't think they were as well funded as the USFL, though.

In retrospect, I wonder if having cable TV and Sunday Ticket types of services would help or hurt a new league now. My initial reaction was that more exposure opportunities would help a young league, but the more I think about it, it may actually hurt. It provides more exposure for the NFL, and you can't compete head to head. Plus, in the days of the WFL you could put a franchise in Birmingham or Memphis and get a lot of local support just due to game day attendance.

Aries Walker
08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I would have much more fond memories of the USFL if I didn't associate it so much with their two major pit bulls, Donald Trump and Al Davis.

That said, go Stallions.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I would have much more fond memories of the USFL if I didn't associate it so much with their two major pit bulls, Donald Trump and Al Davis.

That said, go Stallions.

What did Al do with the USFL? I don't remember that connection.

okcchief
08-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I remember being excited about it starting out when I was a kid, but it didn't last long. Springtime football never seemed right, and it wasn't the NFL. They had some really good players, but not enough of them. It was the last semi-serious competition the NFL will ever have.

Simba
08-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I always thought he was just using the Chiefs as his farm system for Philadelphia. Huge conflict of interest running both organizations at once. We never even got Irv Eatman until the USFL went down.

If I remember correctly, he didn't run both organizations at the same time. Carl Peterson came to the Chiefs in 1989. The USFL died in 1985 if memory serves me.

JASONSAUTO
08-19-2012, 06:57 PM
If I remember correctly, he didn't run both organizations at the same time. Carl Peterson came to the Chiefs in 1989. The USFL died in 1985 if memory serves me.
Super secret, how long have you been a fan. Thought it was common knowledge by now...
Posted via Mobile Device

Simba
08-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Super secret, how long have you been a fan. Thought it was common knowledge by now...
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember watching SB IV live on TV.

RippedmyFlesh
08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone ever watch it and remember the games?

I was too young to remember much about it, but i just watched the 30 for 30 ESPN special about it. Pretty interesting. They made it seem as if the league was extrememly close to taking on the NFL, but Donald Trump came in and wanted to expand too soon, too fast.

Pretty amazing the number of guys who started in the USFL and went on to have success in the NFL.

Steve Young
Jim Kelly
Herschel Walker
Dough Flutie
Reggie White
Sam Mills

to name a few.....

Kelly was better than Young at the time.
If you made an all USFL team it would have done well in the nfl.
Just not enough players to compete as a league.

JASONSAUTO
08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I remember watching SB IV live on TV.
Congrats, maybe you are just so old you forgot then
Posted via Mobile Device

chefsos
08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Congrats, maybe you are just so old you forgot then
Posted via Mobile DeviceTo be fair to him, it wasn't common knowledge that Carl was double dipping. I mean, we all knew, but Goodell sure didn't.

RippedmyFlesh
08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
These people did it http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/alltime.php

First Team
OFFENSE
QB- Jim Kelly (Hou)
RB- Kelvin Bryant (Phi/Balt)
RB- Herschel Walker (NJ)
WR- Anthony Carter (MI/Oak)
WR- Trumaine Johnson (Chi/AZ)
TE- Dan Ross (NO/Port)
T- Irv Eatman (Phil/Balt)
T- Gary Zimmerman (LA)
G- Nate Newton (TB)
G- Tom Thayer (Chi/AZ)
C- Bart Oates (Phi/Balt)
DEFENSE
DE- William Fuller (Phi/Balt)
DE- Reggie White (Mem)
DT- Pete Kugler (Phi/Balt)
DT- Kit Lathrop (Chi/AZ)
LB- John Corker (MI/Mem)
LB- Sam Mills (Phi/Balt)
LB- Gary Plummer (Oak)
CB- Luther Bradley (Chi/AZ/Hou)
CB- Frank Minnifield (Chi/AZ)
S- Gary Barbaro (NJ)
S- David Greenwood (MI/Oak)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Novo Bojovic (MI/Oak)
P- Sean Landeta (Phi/Balt)
KR- Mel Gray (LA)
PR- Mel Gray (LA)

Coach- Jim Mora (Phi/Balt)

Second Team
OFFENSE
QB- Bobby Hebert (MI/Oak)
RB- Gary Anderson (TB)
RB- Joe Cribbs (Birm)
WR- Gary Clark (Jac)
WR- Ricky Sanders (Hou)
TE- Raymond Chester (Oak)
T- Dan Fike (TB)
T- Ray Pinney (MI/Oak)
G- Chuck Commiskey (Phi/Balt)
G- (tie) Buddy Aydellette
Tyrone McGriff (MI/Mem)
C- Kent Hull (NJ)
DEFENSE
DE- Karl Lorch (Chi/AZ)
DE- Keith Millard (Jac)
DT- Junior Ah You (Chi/NO/AZ)
DT- (tie) Coy Bacon (Was)
Dave Tipton (MI/AZ)
LB- Ray Bentley (MI/Oak)
LB- Kiki DeAyala (Hou)
LB- Vaughan Johnson (Jac)
CB- Mossy Cade (Mem)
CB- Antonio Gibson (Phi/Balt)
S- Luther Bradley (Chi/AZ/Hou)
S- Doug Plank (Chi)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Tony Zendejas (LA)
P- Jeff Gossett (Chi/Port)
KR- Henry (Gizmo) Williams (Mem)
PR- Anthony Carter (MI/Oak)

Coach- (tie) Jack Pardee (Hou)
Steve Spurrier (TB)

Aries Walker
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
What did Al do with the USFL? I don't remember that connection.
When the USFL sued the NFL, he was the only NFL owner to testify against the NFL. For that, he was exempted from any damages the USFL might have received.

Perfectly in character, really.

RippedmyFlesh
08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
When the USFL sued the NFL, he was the only NFL owner to testify against the NFL. For that, he was exempted from any damages the USFL might have received.

Perfectly in character, really.

They won but not really I remember this

On July 29, 1986, the United States Football League won the battle but lost its war against the National Football League. After five days of deliberation, the jury that heard the USFL's case against the NFL found the older league guilty of monopolizing professional football and of using predatory tactics but awarded the USFL just $1 in damages. The fact that the antitrust award was trebled to $3 was of little solace to the struggling owners of the eight remaining USFL teams.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/trial.htm

DaneMcCloud
08-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Kelly was better than Young at the time.
If you made an all USFL team it would have done well in the nfl.
Just not enough players to compete as a league.

This is bullshit.

The USFL had lucrative TV contracts with ABC and ESPN. The league featured future NFL superstars because the were offering more money than the NFL.

The league was doing just fine until Donald Trump convinced the other owners to move to the Fall and sue the NFL. At that point, it was over.

Aries Walker
08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it was the antitrust suit that sunk the USFL. They got too big for their britches and thought they could make a grab for it all. Turns out they couldn't, and I'm OK with that.

I would like to see a Birmingham-based NFL team someday, though.

DaneMcCloud
08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, it was the antitrust suit that sunk the USFL. They got too big for their britches and thought they could make a grab for it all. Turns out they couldn't, and I'm OK with that.

I would like to see a Birmingham-based NFL team someday, though.

It was all Trump.

If the USFL had remained committed to their Spring schedule, they might still be in business today or at least, merged with the NFL at some point.

chefsos
08-19-2012, 08:01 PM
It was all Trump.

If the USFL had remained committed to their Spring schedule, they might still be in business today or at least, merged with the NFL at some point.This is what I think. Not all would have made it, but I think 2 or 3 franchises would be NFL teams today.

Rain Man
08-19-2012, 08:03 PM

My goal was not factual correctness, but rather to heap further blame on Carl Peterson. It's Chiefsplanet policy.

boogblaster
08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
walker was a beast .. other than that dont remember much .....

chiefzilla1501
08-19-2012, 09:42 PM

I disagree. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing great players play European basketball, Canadian football, or Japanese baseball. I want to see great players play on the big stage against each other.

I've always wondered what Rocket Ismail could have done under the right NFL coaching. And you can't help but wonder how many Japanese baseball players could have been hall of famers if they played their entire career in the states.