PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Second (& Third) String vs. the Rams

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't think Brady Quinn is a better QB than Ricky Stanzi. I really don't. I think Stanzi is a more dedicated soul to football than Brady (based on various reports about both players). Stanzi has the better body (no homo). He has the more accurate arm. He is more composed, at least he used to be, than Quinn. And he has shown to have a far faster tendency to forget bad plays.

These were all true prior to this week's showing vs. the Rams. And while I believe that fundamentally, Stanzi is better, he lacked any remote sense of decisiveness against the Rams, whereas Quinn's game was far more steady. I don't think anybody on this board can argue with the fact that Quinn is now in the driver's seat for the #2 position.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Quarterbacks often need several years to develop. That Stanzi wasn't ready after one full offseason isn't damning. It's just demanding of more time. And suggestive that we might look to investing awfully early at QB in next year's draft...

I think there is a secret injury bug going around after the first preseason game. There were some players that just didn't get any playing time, despite a performance in the first week that warranted it. I really wanted to see more out of Cyrus Gray. He never saw the field -- not even on special teams.

Draughn saw lots of carries, and received more carries this week than Stanzi and Quinn actually threw the ball combined. I think he's overrated, but I do really enjoy his decisiveness running the ball. He is not the jukester that Gray is, but he is a solid runner who is eager to block for the QB.

Nate Eachus I like way more as a fullback than as a running back. Shows no dynamism running the ball. Just a straight north-south runner, and not a very good one. But I think he's solid as a blocker, and by far better than Shane Bannon.

Maneri came back to earth in this game, and we saw a really solid performance in the 2nd half out of him that is indicative of what he'll do all season. He'll run routes, but mostly be kept inline to block.

Tim Biere got some time on the field today, and did nothing. I don't think he earned separation, but even if he did it's not like Stanzi or Quinn were looking for him. Stanzi wasn't really looking for anybody.

I said this in the other thread but I like Jamar Newsome. Reliable hands and a steady presence deep on the depth chart. If we can find room for him, I prefer it over the more dynamic but inconsistent presence in Josh Bellamy. I've always thought Zeke Markshausen had some ability as a slot guy, but that roster spot seems to be heavily weighted already with McCluster and Wylie.

The second string OL:

Donald Stephenson: Solid game. They didn't really run behind him much, but he had his assignments dead-to-rights on every run play. His pass protection was also solid, showcasing a polished kick-slide with good mirror ability. I believe he gave up one pressure all game that was genuinely his fault (I believe his man sacked Stanzi in the 4th quarter, but Stanzi's pocket presence was awful on the play -- he double pumped and stood there like a statue).

Jeff Allen: Very meh. After looking like the second-best guard on the team against the Cards, Allen played his second-stringer to a mere draw in this game. He's got to work on his leverage, as he can get driven back and lose his assignments if his man is lower than him. The Stanzi-fumble disaster started by Allen being pushed back into Stanzi's lap. Allen missed a couple other assignments and simply wasn't the force he was last week.

Luke Patterson: Solid, but not in beast mode like he was last week. He screwed up his pass protection assignments a couple times, but is still plowing very good run holes up the gut. He seems more mobile than any other player on the line. When the Chiefs go with an imbalanced line this year, they should consider Patterson as the extra guy. Allen is quick, but right now Patterson seems to be much quicker and more polished.

Darryl Harris: Did not show well at all. He was giving up pressure and ended up in Stanzi's lap a couple times. He didn't look "lost" like he did against the Cardinals, but he still isn't getting much of a hole going. If his man can diagnose the play, than Harris is good for about a speedbump's worth of protection. Not much more.

David Mims: Did his job pretty well, I thought. He wasn't getting beat like a drum against the Rams, like he was against the Cardinals. This was a pretty solid performance all around, with one exception. The Cardinals beat him by lining up their men wide, almost in a wide 9, which is fairly typical of their 3-4. The Rams utilized the wide 9 on Mim's side a couple times, and reaped some rewards doing it. Lining across from Mims doesn't yield much. But lining way out wide of him pays dividends.

As for the defense...............

It's time Powe gets a shot with the 2nd team.

Dontari Poe showed pretty darn well against the Cardinals, and made some plays in the 1st half with the 1st team defense. But in the 2nd half, the Rams had absolutely no respect for him, Gordon, or Pitoitua, running straight at them, never doubling any of them (except for Gordon a time or two), and sending linemen straight into the ILBs who struggled all half to shed them.

The second Rams drive in the 3rd quarter chewed up almost the entire quarter, as they ran single-mindedly at all three guys with results, just leaving them single-blocked the entire time. Pitoitua and Gordon won a couple snaps, Poe never seemed to, and the entire defensive line and interior LBs were getting owned for first down after first down.

Poe turned it around at exactly the right time, however, as Siler and he racked up bodies in the middle of the OL on a 4th and short, ending the drive. But it's further evidence that Poe has more of a will than he does a way right now, and it's not conducive to the two-gap defense. Guards were attacking the ILBs on every play.

So you know what? Powe was the #3 NT and deactivated for all of 2011, and he's showing well now. I say we should consider doing the same thing for Poe.

Powe is looking like a force right now. He is blasting off the LOS, he is not getting moved, he is getting to the QB and he is demanding double teams. I believe in meritocracy, and right now Powe is deserving a chance to challenge Toribio as the starter, not languish on the #3 team.

I was unimpressed with all of our linebackers in this half. Leon Williams, Brandon Siler, and worst of all, Greenwood, all three of these guys looked like they'd never had to fight off an offensive lineman in their lives. It sucked.

Also miserable were Edgar Jones and Andy Studebaker. Studebaker was beaten so badly rushing the passer that he ended up off the screen several times. But at least he could drop back and cover a little. Jones, after a promising Cardinals game where he flashed and rushed the passer, was the most useless defender on our team all half. He never beat a single pass protector, and his passing defense was so horrid he'd give up passes by giving his man three yard cushions at all times.

I'm assuming Cameron Sheffield was injured, because he's clearly the best OLB this team has.

Our secondary wasn't doing too poorly for much of the third quarter, not that they were doing great either. But with about a minute left in the 3rd quarter, Crennel flushed the secondary with the 650 secondary scrubs the Chiefs picked up this offseason, and none of them showed anything. Receivers were wide open all 4th quarter, like they weren't even being covered. They were so alone, some of them got back up and started running.

The only player from this squad that I have any iota of interest in seeing again was Terrance Parks, but I didn't see an ounce of good protection from him, just some ability to plug the box and play a short centerfield. Everybody else was garbage.

Ace Gunner
08-19-2012, 06:41 PM
These are good btw.

JASONSAUTO
08-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Sheffield better than tamba and Houston?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Both Sheffield and Gray were infact out with injuries.

aturnis
08-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Powe is looking like a force right now. He is blasting off the LOS, he is not getting moved, he is getting to the QB and he is demanding double teams. I believe in meritocracy, and right now Powe is deserving a chance to challenge Toribio as the starter, not languish on the #3 team.

Actually, if you watch Powe. It seems he's doing his best to get on tape for other teams. While he might get pressure, none of our other NT's are one gapping. A lot of the time, Powe will simply shoot a gap, something we all know our defense doesn't generally ask our NT to do.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Sheffield better than tamba and Houston?

Oh, you know what I mean.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Actually, if you watch Powe. It seems he's doing his best to get on tape for other teams. While he might get pressure, none of our other NT's are one gapping. A lot of the time, Powe will simply shoot a gap, something we all know our defense doesn't generally ask our NT to do.

He's doing what you're supposed to do. It's not his fault the Rams forbid their OL from double-teaming in the second half.

His work would normally command a double-team. But the Rams simply weren't biting on it.

Against Poe and Pitoitua, and later against Bair and Long, that paid dividends.

But Gordon and most prominently Powe were making them pay for it.

aturnis
08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
He's doing what you're supposed to do. It's not his fault the Rams forbid their OL from double-teaming in the second half.

His work would normally command a double-team. But the Rams simply weren't biting on it.

Against Poe and Pitoitua, and later against Bair and Long, that paid dividends.

But Gordon and most prominently Powe were making them pay for it.

You know the first thing he is supposed to do is engaged his man, not let him into his body, read play, reactions and shed to either rush or get ball carrier. Powe didn't do that a few times that I saw, if not more. He just picked a gap and shot it at the snap.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 08:48 PM
You know the first thing he is supposed to do is engaged his man, not let him into his body, read play, reactions and shed to either rush or get ball carrier. Powe didn't do that a few times that I saw, if not more. He just picked a gap and shot it at the snap.

Two-gap doesn't mean that you never shoot gaps.

You said it yourself. You described the first thing he is supposed to do. It's not the only.

nychief
08-19-2012, 10:03 PM
"I really don't. I think Stanzi is a more dedicated soul to football than Brady."

- full on retard.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
"I really don't. I think Stanzi is a more dedicated soul to football than Brady."

- full on retard.

I think he means Brady Quinn, not Tom Brady -- which would be a damn bold statement to make.

prhom
08-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe I mis-read what you said, but I'm pretty sure Gray was out for a hamstring injury in practice this last week and they said he wasn't going to play against the Rams. Too bad, I was looking forward to watching him some more after last week.

Direckshun
08-19-2012, 10:45 PM

- full on retard.

I think he means Brady Quinn, not Tom Brady -- which would be a damn bold statement to make.

Of course I meant Quinn.

Thought that was obvious.