PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Question about IP addresses

Guru
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know what the issue is here but my android phone is generating 6 IP addresses for it on my router. Any ideas as to why a single device such as a phone would generate so many IPs to the same mac address on one router?

DaFace
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Not sure why it would be creating new IPs for the same device, but I doubt it has anything to do with the phone. The phone only requests the IP - the router is the place where the IP is actually assigned. Most of the time, the router will check to see if that MAC has already been assigned and, if so, use the same IP address again. For some reason, yours doesn't seem to be doing that.

That said, it shouldn't really hurt anything.

Guru
08-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Not sure why it would be creating new IPs for the same device, but I doubt it has anything to do with the phone. The phone only requests the IP - the router is the place where the IP is actually assigned. Most of the time, the router will check to see if that MAC has already been assigned and, if so, use the same IP address again. For some reason, yours doesn't seem to be doing that.

That said, it shouldn't really hurt anything.

Yeah, I know it isn't really a big deal but it just doesn't make any sense why it would do it on this new phone. None of my other devices have ever generated multiple IPs. Just this phone.