PDA

View Full Version : Football Best team in the AFC?

RunKC
08-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Go..

JoeyChuckles
08-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Stop.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Patriots

RunKC
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Patriots

I thought about them, but their OL looks like it's way worse. Matt Light retired and Brian Waters isn't even in camp.

Shogun
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Chiefs

Setsuna
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Jags

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Broncos and Jets /ESPN spooge

CHENZ A!
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Houston Oilers

Deberg_1990
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Ravens and Texans if Schaub can stay healthy
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Chiefs... duh. Cassels taking us to that ship thing.

RunKC
08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I think Ravens. They are built for the ship.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Ravens are missing Suggs. That's big.

BoneKrusher
08-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Texans

d3c0y55
08-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Ravens are missing Suggs. That's big.

Yep, Chargers? ROFL

Simplicity
08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Chiefs... Obviously.

DaFace
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Dolphins

(Just kidding - I have no idea. You realize it's still the preseason right?)

LiveSteam
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Dnt count out the Steel city

O.city
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Ravens are without their best defensive player this year, thats gonna be tough, but they have the leaders to maybe get them thru.

Pats oline looks shaky, Brady can't do his work if he's getting hit. (as I'm saying this, I'm sure the Pats guys will be in here to dispute this cause I don't know enough about the Pats)

Steelers are kind of a mystery right now. What will that offense be like, without Mendenhall? I think they will be ok, but the d is getting older and have some injuries.

If the Texans can stay healthy, I think they are the best overall team in the AFC.

JD10367
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I thought about them, but their OL looks like it's way worse. Matt Light retired and Brian Waters isn't even in camp.

Light's tank was out of gas, and Waters will be back (he's just taking a veteran's vacation from training camp). The Pats have been missing Mankins and Vollmer as well as one of their centers. The O-line is definitely the weak link but it's not "far worse" and certainly isn't bad enough to ruin everything for them. Meanwhile, they've improved at WR (Lloyd, Stallworth, Gaffney), in the front seven (two stud rookies in Jones and Hightower), and even the porous defensive backfield (Will Allen, a healthy Ras-I Dowling, Steve Gregory)... oh, yeah, and they still have Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Wes Welker, and some guy at QB that's half-decent.

Only a strong defensive team like Baltimore has a chance to stop them. And I don't care how good he thinks he is, or how many years he's taken them to the playoffs; I just don't have faith in Joe Flacco.

Phobia
08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Based on the beating the Pats 2nd team is laying on Philly's 1's, I think I'm gonna go with the Patriots.... 2nd team.

Psyko Tek
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
so the best team is the pat's second string?
sounds about right

JD10367
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
1. Pats
2. Ravens
3. Texans
4. Steelers
5 through 16. everyone else

But the separation in the top four isn't huge. Any of them can beat the other three, even in a road Championship game.

O.city
08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I can't put the Ravens that high

They are without their best defensive player.

Phobia
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
so the best team is the pat's second string?
sounds about right

Even their punter is named Zolton. How could you not kick ass?

O.city
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Isn't Pitt gonna have to play without Harrison, a starting CB and Casey Hampton for a while?

RJ
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
The Ravens lost Suggs to injury and Jarrett Johnson to free agency. Lewis and Reed are each a year older. But I think the D will still be solid and the offense much improved. In no particular order....

Ravens
Pats
Steelers
Texans if Schaub and Johnson can stay on the field

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2012, 09:24 PM

We both have mentioned this, but no one seems to be paying attention.

JD10367
08-20-2012, 09:25 PM

True enough, but they still have a deep defense. And while Flacco isn't top tier (despite his opinion), they have enough to get it done and they have more big-game experience than Houston. The Ravens were one play away from beating the Patriots in New England in the AFCCG. But I certainly think a case can be made for putting the Texans at #2.

O.city
08-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Suggs was the defensive player of the year, in my opinion, the engine of that defense.

People will say Ray, but I think it's now Suggs.

I forgot they lost Johnson.

He's not great, but that will hurt them. They don't have lock down corners, they have some good ones, but not lock down. I don't see the D being a top 3 unit this year.

Top 10, maybe.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I just don't have faith in Joe Flacco.

I used to think this. Im not saying hes in Brady's league, but let's be honest.....Flacco would have been in the Super Bowl if not for Lee Evans.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
08-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I used to think this. Im not saying hes in Brady's league, but let's be honest.....Flacco would have been in the Super Bowl if not for Lee Evans.
Posted via Mobile Device

And the Patriots would have five Lombardis if not for a bounced hail mary off a guy's facemask that got caught, and a catchable ball that Welker couldn't haul in. "If not for" are three very large words. Flacco's QB rating last season was 18th, worse than luminaries like Matt Moore and Kevin Kolb. He was 12th in yardage behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, a woeful 24th in YPA behind some truly awful QBs (Orton? Skelton? Grossman? Tarvaris freakin' Jackson?)... He's just not a guy that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

lcarus
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
And the Patriots would have five Lombardis if not for a bounced hail mary off a guy's facemask that got caught, and a catchable ball that Welker couldn't haul in. "If not for" are three very large words. Flacco's QB rating last season was 18th, worse than luminaries like Matt Moore and Kevin Kolb. He was 12th in yardage behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, a woeful 24th in YPA behind some truly awful QBs (Orton? Skelton? Grossman? Tarvaris freakin' Jackson?)... He's just not a guy that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

And the Pats would have one less Lombardi if you take away the tuck rule

Deberg_1990
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Normally I would be saying the exact sort of things, but if Evans would have caught that, there was only a few seconds left right? No time for any others plays so nothing to "what if?" Over.

Or am I remembering things wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC
08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I remember the Ravens absolutely owning the Patriots in their house a few years ago. I also remember the Ravens outplaying the Patriots again in their house last year and a kicker/dumbass WR fucking it all up.

They may not have Suggs, but they're still a top 10 defense. Kruger and Upshaw will make plays. Not enough to make up for Suggs, but enough to show something there.

Plus Suggs will be back by November, or at least that's the vibe he's putting off.

Dylan
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM

It's okay Boston fan -- Goodell gave the Patriots the easiest schedule in the NFL again, so they might get another shot.

Just pray the Giants don't get there as well!

Just Passin' By
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
It's not even week 3 of the preseason schedule yet, so it's tough to nail down all the players, but at a glance, it looks like

Patriots
Texans
Ravens

at the top, probably in that order.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Texans.

Poised to destroy everyone.

Best combination of offense and defense.

JD10367
08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
And the Pats would have one less Lombardi if you take away the tuck rule

Go fuck yourself, douche.

Normally I would be saying the exact sort of things, but if Evans would have caught that, there was only a few seconds left right? No time for any others plays so nothing to "what if?" Over.

Or am I remembering things wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but you're changing the argument. I already conceded that the top four teams in the AFC are, IMO, the Pats, Ravens, Texans, and Steelers, and that they're all pretty close and can beat the other three. That was not the point in discussion. The point in discussion was Flacco, and how I just don't think he's good enough to make a difference. Brady, Rapistberger, and Schaub have the capabilityto take over a game and make a difference; Flacco just isn't in their league, and that has to be taken into account.

It's okay Boston fan -- Goodell gave the Patriots the easiest schedule in the NFL again, so they might get another shot.

Go fuck yourself, douche.

stevieray
08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
..good to see the texans making noise, but it's the same teams, and has been for awhile.

..anyone honestly seeing that changing anytime soon?

Bump
08-20-2012, 10:15 PM
BUMPS AFC POWER RATINGS
which were thought up in less than 3 minutes

1. New England
2. Baltimore
3. Pittsburgh
4. Denver
5. Cincinatti
6. Kansas City
7. New York
8. Houston
9. San Diego
10. Buffalo
11. Oakland
12. Tennessee
13. Cleveland
14. Jacksonville
15. Miami

no homer

KCrockaholic
08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
BUMPS AFC POWER RATINGS

1. New England
2. Baltimore
3. Pittsburgh
4. Denver
5. Cincinatti
6. Kansas City
7. New York
8. Houston
9. San Diego
10. Buffalo
11. Oakland
12. Tennessee
13. Cleveland
14. Jacksonville
15. Miami

no homer

Chiefs are waaay too low. And Bump up Jacksonville to about 10 and we're good.

Dave Lane
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Chiefs... duh. Cassels taking us to that ship thing.

Captain Ds?

Deberg_1990
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
The point in discussion was Flacco, and how I just don't think he's good enough to make a difference. Brady, Rapistberger, and Schaub have the capabilityto take over a game and make a difference; Flacco just isn't in their league, and that has to be taken into account.

Ok, i can agree with this.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Chiefs! Right after we trade Matt Cassel for Andrew Luck it will be obvious to everyone.

Phobia
08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
BUMPS AFC POWER RATINGS

1. New England
2. Baltimore
3. Pittsburgh
4. Denver
5. Cincinatti
6. Kansas City
7. New York
8. Houston
9. San Diego
10. Buffalo
11. Oakland
12. Tennessee
13. Cleveland
14. Jacksonville
15. Miami

no homer

Best I can tell, the Colts are still part of the NFL.

Just Passin' By
08-20-2012, 11:09 PM

I don't want to get into a pissing contest about the SBs, but I'd like to have seen both of those played with the Patriots healthy.

Gravedigger
08-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about the SBs, but I'd like to have seen both of those played with the Patriots healthy.

GTFO with that jargon, woulda coulda shoulda crap. You don't think the NY Giants had injury problems as well? How about the Green Bay Packers when they had all their injuries? Oh yeah they won the Super Bowl! Why didn't I hear them complaining about their injuries... oh yeah, they won the Super Bowl!

ThaVirus
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
GTFO with that jargon, woulda coulda shoulda crap. You don't think the NY Giants had injury problems as well? How about the Green Bay Packers when they had all their injuries? Oh yeah they won the Super Bowl! Why didn't I hear them complaining about their injuries... oh yeah, they won the Super Bowl!

A bit harsh, but truth..

SNR
08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
If the Patriots had three wheels they'd be a tricycle

Bump
08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Best I can tell, the Colts are still part of the NFL.

good call dude :thumb:

put them at #8, Luck is taking them to the playoffs this year. That division is weak and he's that good.

Gravedigger
08-20-2012, 11:43 PM
And honestly, the tuck rule is still the biggest load of BS in the NFL. I'm no Raider fan but they had that game won, and then Brady pumps, pulls the ball down, takes a step, gets hit, fumbles, Raiders have it all sealed, but what's this? Tom Brady tucked the ball... so it's not a fumble? Are you kidding me? How, in any universe does that make sense? Every other position on the field, when they get the ball, tucks it in to protect it, if they drop it, it's known as a fumble. From the RB, to the WR, even to the overweight lineman who gets a miracle shot to Wilfork it down to the endzone. BUT not the QB! A fumble is a fumble is a fumble is a fumble. It's how I was taught when I was learning football when I was a kid, and up until that snowy day in Foxboro, I had never seen that rule or any other kind like it. I'm sorry, I hate the Raiders, but they got hosed.

The Patriots are done, they had their shots to add to their SB total and they've lost them all. They've turned into the San Diego Chargers when Marty coached them and their window has closed. Their mantra of finding diamonds in the rough and great talent evaluation are done. They've traded their vets away or let them walk and not paid them and even though they've patched together an 18 win season with FA's and draft picks, they come close but no cigar. If they don't win in 2 more years, counting this year, Brady will be retired/traded and they'll be at the bottom again, unless they Colt their way into an Andrew Luck.

My top 3:
Patriots
Steelers
Ravens/Texans

Just Passin' By
08-20-2012, 11:50 PM

Bite me. I made a comment, not an argument.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2012, 12:35 AM

put them at #8, Luck is taking them to the playoffs this year. That division is weak and he's that good.

This may sound ridiculous to some, but I wouldn't be surprised.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Texans

I would be tempted to say us if Cassel wasnt such a big ?

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I would be tempted to say us if Cassel wasnt such a big ?http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/j/jim_carrey_as_the_joker-23230.jpg

BossChief
08-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I also think the Pats will have a really nice year.

Brady has a fuckton of heavy hitting weapons at his disposal and that defense is coming along nicely as well.

Unsmooth-Moment
08-21-2012, 01:08 AM

So the 8th best team makes the playoffs? Unless you are moving Houston down from 8 to place the Colts..

Amnorix
08-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Pats oline looks shaky, Brady can't do his work if he's getting hit. (as I'm saying this, I'm sure the Pats guys will be in here to dispute this cause I don't know enough about the Pats)

errr....nope, that's about right.

The thinking is that Vollmer comes off PUP this week shoring up the right tackle spot (he's fine there IF he can stay healthy, but he's had issues with his back that seem to come and go), and Waters returns from wherever he is. Because he hasn't officially announced his retirement, I DO expect him to come back.

That leaves Solder's shaky left tackle play as a concern. The only alternative I can think of, if he can't cut it, is to move Vollmer to left tackle and play Cannon at right tackle. That won't be too pretty, so here's hoping Solder gets better.

But yeah, the OLine needs to get better if the Pats are going to contend.

Amnorix
08-21-2012, 07:49 AM
And honestly, the tuck rule is still the biggest load of BS in the NFL. I'm no Raider fan but they had that game won, and then Brady pumps, pulls the ball down, takes a step, gets hit, fumbles, Raiders have it all sealed, but what's this? Tom Brady tucked the ball... so it's not a fumble? Are you kidding me? How, in any universe does that make sense? Every other position on the field, when they get the ball, tucks it in to protect it, if they drop it, it's known as a fumble. From the RB, to the WR, even to the overweight lineman who gets a miracle shot to Wilfork it down to the endzone. BUT not the QB! A fumble is a fumble is a fumble is a fumble. It's how I was taught when I was learning football when I was a kid, and up until that snowy day in Foxboro, I had never seen that rule or any other kind like it. I'm sorry, I hate the Raiders, but they got hosed.

The Patriots are done, they had their shots to add to their SB total and they've lost them all. They've turned into the San Diego Chargers when Marty coached them and their window has closed. Their mantra of finding diamonds in the rough and great talent evaluation are done. They've traded their vets away or let them walk and not paid them and even though they've patched together an 18 win season with FA's and draft picks, they come close but no cigar. If they don't win in 2 more years, counting this year, Brady will be retired/traded and they'll be at the bottom again, unless they Colt their way into an Andrew Luck.

My top 3:
Patriots
Steelers
Ravens/Texans

Good, gooooood, let the hatred flow...

Amnorix
08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

I hate to bitch about injuries, but between Perkins knee in Game 6 of the Finals and Gronk's ankle in the AFCCG, it's been more than a bit annoying having key guys go down RIGHT at the finish line of the season before the big game lately.

ChiefsNow
08-21-2012, 08:02 AM
If any time there was to go for the home grown team of the Kansas city Chiiefs, is now.

The Pats on on the down.
The Ravens are on the down.
The Chargers are on the down.
The Texans are on the up, but even.
The Bengals are on the up but even.
The Browns are on the up and almost even.
The Donkeys are on the up and even and then a big down. Because I believe the Chiefs will end Manning's career
The Chiefs are on the up and even and leaning towards another up.

Sofa King
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
1. Pats
2. Ravens
3. Texans
4. Steelers
5 through 16. everyone else

But the separation in the top four isn't huge. Any of them can beat the other three, even in a road Championship game.

I'll go with this. Steelers are this [ ] close to being bumped out of the top 4 though.

Nzoner
08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Unless I missed it I didn't see one mention of the Titans,a happy and motivated Chris Johnson,a 2nd year qb ready to make his mark?

Not making any bold predictions but with a player like CJ who apparently is refocused I think an argument could at least be made that the Titans could make some noise in that division.

Fritz88
08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Giants.

Garcia Bronco
08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Patriots

TEX
08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
1. Pats
2. Texans
3. Ravens
4. Steelers

The rest....

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
My AFC Power Rankings (top 10).

1. Pats
2. Ravens
3. Steelers
4. Texans
5. Chargers
6. Chiefs
7. Bengals
8. Broncos
9. Jets
10. Bills

BIG_DADDY
08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Giants.

Giants are NFC, dog.

MahiMike
08-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Steelers are still the team to beat. I think the Patriot's time has come and gone.

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Steelers are still the team to beat. I think the Patriot's time has come and gone.

As long as Brady has time to throw and has weapons to throw to (Lloyd, Welker, Dual TE threat), that team will always be in the SB hunt. On average in the past decade, they've averaged a SB appearance every other year.

I wouldn't count them out until some other team proves otherwise.

Marcellus
08-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Never doubt NE, Pit, or Bal. However there is no clear cut favorite IMO.

GB is an obvious choice in the NFC and NY must be respected.

O.city
08-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Baltimore lost its best player for, more than likely, the entire year.

Marcellus
08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Baltimore lost its best player for, more than likely, the entire year.

They also have a mediocre QB but they keep winning. You would think with Reed and Lewis being 90 they might suck. I am not going down that road yet just because I need to see it.

O.city
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
The Ravens will miss Suggs alot. But like you, until they do infact suck, I won't go that far out on the limb.

Sucky
08-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Its gotta be the Pats

chasedude
08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Giants.

LMAO

dred
08-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Keep doubting the Colts this year you mfers!

yeah sure they will suck, but I think they will surprise a lot of people.

Setsuna
08-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Keep doubting the Colts this year you mfers!

yeah sure they will suck, but I think they will surprise a lot of people.

They'll sweep the Jags that's for sure.

Willie Lanier
08-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Texans, easily

Unsmooth-Moment
08-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Ravens

Rausch
08-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Hate them but still have to go Pats...

InChiefsHell
08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
I think this might be the Texans year. Other than them, the fucking Patriots probably. Gettin' tired of saying that...

milkman
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
The Texans.

You can't count the Patrots out, because of Tom Brady, but there isn't a better, more balance team in the league.

That can domnate you on the ground, they can dominate you with their D, and Matt Schaub can beat you in the passing game.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Texans and Ravens.

My preseason power rankings would be:
1. NYG
2. TX
3. GB
4. Balt.
5. NE
6. Pitt
7. Det
8. NO
9. Atl
10. SF

TEX
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
The Texans.

You can't count the Patrots out, because of Tom Brady, but there isn't a better, more balance team in the league.

That can domnate you on the ground, they can dominate you with their D, and Matt Schaub can beat you in the passing game.

Agreed. Their "D" was the best one on the field in Baltimore for the playoff game last year. THAT doesn't happen very often. People don't realize how good that defense is. There are questions about the right side of the OL and red-zone scoring and their WR's are thin but overall they have much less to worry about than most any team in the league.

boogblaster
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Texans or Pats .....