PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So, how's that BUQB battle going?

Ace Gunner
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
2 exhibition games have featured the two BUQB's Brady Quinn & Ricki Stanzi. We've had a few days to digest Stanzi's night -- who do you think is better right now?

I like how Stanzi moves in the pocket, but he is obviously having trouble executing the playbook and it seems like he is having trouble making pre snap adjustments too. Not real concerned with his INT's and accuracy right now because I've seen what he can do. This has been a test of will for Stanzi and I'm going to go with fail right now.

But I still believe this guy can make some noise in the NFL after this season, perhaps. He's not seeing the field real well right now from what I can tell and it seems to be more or less how his WR's are adjusting routes more than anything opposing defenses are throwing at him. He's not quite ready.

So, I am going to pick Quinn for the BUQB duties this coming season.

What say you? Do you think Stanzi still has a chance?

The Poll Question:

Who do you think is going to be the BUQB this season?

Flachief58
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Let's see what Tanney's got

mr. tegu
An answer to the OP question: not good.

CoMoChief
We definitely need a new thread on this.

Ace Gunner
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
We definitely need a new thread on this.

maybe not -- has anything changed since before pre season?:D

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I think Quinn will be the #2. I won't be suprised if we bring in someone else and Stanzi gets cut. We might even go with two Quarterbacks because we are keeping four RBs. It is probably safe to put Stanzi on the practice squad after this preseason.

ChiefsNow
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Trick shot

Extra Point
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
maybe not -- has anything changed since before pre season?:D

Stanzi's hair got longer.

CoMoChief
08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Quinn will be the #2. He's more experienced within the system under Daboll and he doesn't suck as much as Stanzi does.

Stanzi looked like Brodie Croyle Sat night.

Ace Gunner
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Stanzi's hair got longer.

ya but he doesn't have any competition, so it might not be good to start a thread on that.

Sofa King
08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
They both suck.

ChiefsNow
08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
We have another guy that should at least get a shot. A look. Teach Bowe and Baldwin to run patterns with a trash can. Winning!!!

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
At this point, I don't think it much matters.

Neither appears to be good enough to play in the NFL so once again we are going into a season with a Cassel or bust situation. It's been that way since Pioli came here so you have to wonder whether it's intentional or not. He wouldn't go into a season with any other position looking like he has the QB position.

I'm not a Pioli basher, in fact i defend him against the insano squad more often then not.

Though you have to wonder whether or not that Pioli is protecting Cassel from losing his starting job. He hasn't been able to win/keep a starting job since High school and it appears the Pioli is doing everything in his power to keep him from losing another one.

frustrating

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't like Quinn very much but he has moved the ball and put points on the board. Whether or not he could that in a real game is yet to be seen. Hopefully, Moore or Jackson will get released.

-King-
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
At this point, I don't think it much matters.

Neither appears to be good enough to play in the NFL so once again we are going into a season with a Cassel or bust situation. It's been that way since Pioli came here so you have to wonder whether it's intentional or not. He wouldn't go into a season with any other position looking like he has the QB position.

I'm not a Pioli basher, in fact i defend him against the insano squad more often then not.

Though you have to wonder whether or not that Pioli is protecting Cassel from losing his starting job. He hasn't been able to win/keep a starting job since High school and it appears the Pioli is doing everything in his power to keep him from losing another one.

frustrating

You've just described just about every team's QB situation. Every team is in a "current starting QB or bust" situation.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
You've just described just about every team's QB situation. Every team is in a "current starting QB or bust" situation.
several teams have legit QBoTF developing and have vet backups can come in a win a few games

we have a game manager level starter with complete shit as backups.

gotta figure that we are bottom 5 in the league in terms of total QB talent on a roster.

figure that Cassel is ranked 15-20 ish in the league

Quinn is barely in the league ... after we are done with him he probably wont' be anymore.

Stanzi looked like division 2 QB trying to learn the NFL level

on a team with good QB talent, we would have a #2(cassel) and two #4 type guys who would just be hoping to grab a practice squad spot or something.

i see several backups around the league that would be legit challengers for our starting spot.

it's bad ... Marty Shottenheimer terrible.

Pestilence
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I really wish Cassel wouldn't play the rest of the preseason. I'd rather see what Quinn or Stanzi could do with the first string offense.

-King-
08-21-2012, 03:02 PM
several teams have legit QBoTF developing and have vet backups can come in a win a few games

we have a game manager level starter with complete shit as backups.

gotta figure that we are bottom 5 in the league in terms of total QB talent on a roster.

figure that Cassel is ranked 15-20 ish in the league

Quinn is barely in the league ... after we are done with him he probably wont' be anymore.

Stanzi looked like division 2 QB trying to learn the NFL level

on a team with good QB talent, we would have a #2(cassel) and two #4 type guys who would just be hoping to grab a practice squad spot or something.

i see several backups around the league that would be legit challengers for our starting spot.

it's bad ... Marty Shottenheimer terrible.

Quinn is what a backup QB should be. For the most part, if we're not developing a QB, I'd take a burnout former 1st round QB as my backup.

And which backups would be legit challengers for the starting spot?

BossChief
08-21-2012, 03:02 PM
I know it's a results driven league, but on the 3 plays Stanzi "shit the bed" nearly any quarterback also would have given the circumstances on each play.

2 of them he literally had a defender within a foot of him as his back foot hit on his drop, one had an uncalled facemask penalty that would have nullified the fumble on fourth down and the pick was a total fluke play that nobody could fault Stanzi for.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
I really wish Cassel wouldn't play the rest of the preseason. I'd rather see what Quinn or Stanzi could do with the first string offense.

Totally agree.

Pestilence
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Totally agree.

This whole argument of who is better between Stanzi and Quinn is basically worthless. They're both playing against 2nd string defenses.....with 2nd string offenses. That gives us no idea how they would perform if they were pushed into the starting job.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter....because it will never happen.

durtyrute
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM

This to the muthafuckin max. We know what Cassel can do with the first string. We've seen it for three plus years. Even when he is good, he is bad. We have no idea how Stanzi or Quinn will do with the starters. It would be the same if we drafted a first round QB (which we have on the roster now, but everyone forgets that) and let him play. Eventually, you have to say fuck it and let the kid play.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Quinn is what a backup QB should be. For the most part, if we're not developing a QB, I'd take a burnout former 1st round QB as my backup.

And which backups would be legit challengers for the starting spot?
Kyle Orton (always though he was underrated, 1-on-1 he beats out Cassel imo)
T.J. Yates
Matt Moore
Bruce Gradkowski
Matt Hasselbeck
Chad Henne
Mike Kafka
Russel Wilson (too early really, but so far)

Just about all these guys would have a shot at starting for us in a far contest and would be favored to win the #2 spot. They would all dramatically upgrade our depth.

-King-
08-21-2012, 04:00 PM
This to the muthafuckin max. We know what Cassel can do with the first string. We've seen it for three plus years. Even when he is good, he is bad. We have no idea how Stanzi or Quinn will do with the starters. It would be the same if we drafted a first round QB (which we have on the roster now, but everyone forgets that) and let him play. Eventually, you have to say fuck it and let the kid play.

No. If they aren't flashing even a bit with the 2s and 3s, why the hell should they get a shot at starting?

Russell Wilson played great with the 2nd team, and now he's being rewarded by starting on Friday. Stanzi has been beyond horrible this preseason so why should he given any chance with the 1st team? And Quinn has sucked for 5 years. No interest in seeing him with the first team either.

-King-
08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Kyle Orton (always though he was underrated, 1-on-1 he beats out Cassel imo) Too bad he was a chicken shit and didn't want competition.
T.J. YatesMaybe.
Matt Moore
Bruce Gradkowski
Matt Hasselbeck
Chad Henne
Mike Kafka ROFL
Russel Wilson (too early really, but so far) Maybe. We'll see.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Matt Moore
Bruce Gradkowski
Matt Hasselbeck
Chad Henne
Mike Kafka

ROFL

everyone of those guys would be an upgrade and lock for our #2 spot

BossChief
08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
This whole argument of who is better between Stanzi and Quinn is basically worthless. They're both playing against 2nd string defenses.....with 2nd string offenses. That gives us no idea how they would perform if they were pushed into the starting job.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter....because it will never happen.

I agree.

OTOH if this was year 2 or 3 in the same offense/playbook for Cassel, I think they would be giving both players a drive, or maybe even two, with the first team to see who steps up. It isn't, this is the first year with a new OC that seems to be changing a few things for the better (letting Cassel check out of a play, using shifts and motions, being calm and collected)..hopefully, it works and Cassel steps up and starts to play like "the 63 million dollar man".

I think a team is best served to chose their starter as soon as they can and ride it out until he plays himself out of a job.

I still think Cassel is gonna be on a short leash and that they are trying their best to give him everything he needs to succeed and if he still sucks, they will move on.

At this point, it looks like Quinn is ahead in the "competition" for the backup spot, but that Stanzi has time to catch up.

It would take Quinn having a bad performance or two and for Stanzi to start getting some help from the team around him, but I dont think either guy has won the job...even after the Rams game.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
everyone of those guys would be an upgrade and lock for our #2 spot

What are you smoking?

Moore and Hasselback, yes.

The rest of those guys are dumpster trash.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
What are you smoking?

I'm sorry about your guy but what do you think is on our roster?

Quinn is off the trash pile
Stanzi looked completely overwhelmed ... a tyler palko level of overwhelmed.

pretty apparent that Stanzi didn't get taught a dam thing last year and is basically a rookie right now.

Count Zarth
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Chad Henne is better than Brady Quinn. No question.

MahiMike
08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Well, THAT was close.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry about your guy but what do you think is on our roster?

Quinn is off the trash pile
Stanzi looked completely overwhelmed ... a tyler palko level of overwhelmed.

pretty apparent that Stanzi didn't get taught a dam thing last year and is basically a rookie right now.

saying Stanzi looked Overwhelmed is a myth.

All three of the plays he is getting crucified for werent his fault.

Go, watch the gifs.

As for the response to your post, Gradkowski, Kafka and Henne are all terrible.

I hate to say this because Ive never been a Quinn fan,but his ceiling is MUCH higher than any of those guys and he hasnt looked terrible this preseason.

He wasnt off the trash pile, either. Denver actually offered him more money to stay there and he chose to play here.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Quinn has a higher ceiling and has history in the offense.

Henne is a pussy.

Quinn may not be close to his ceiling, but at least he isnt a pussy....he is just a slow learner.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Too bad he was a chicken shit and didn't want competition.
Maybe.
ROFL
Maybe. We'll see.

What are you smoking?

so ... everyone was laughing it off but

we got

Orton
Yates
Moore
hasselback
Henne
maybe Russell

agreed to by some ... leaves only Gradkowski/Kafka off the list.

still means our QB draft chart sucks and we should of tried harder.

btw ... forgot about Mallet

BossChief
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Orton, Moore or Hasselback would be the starter.

-King-
08-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Orton, Moore or Hasselback would be the starter.

ROFL

Count Zarth
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
WTF are you laughing about.

All of those guys are better than Mork Castille.

Shit, Hasselbeck was 35 fucking years old last season and threw for more yards than Cassel ever has since New England. And took fewer sacks than Cassel ever has. AT 35.

35 FUCKING YEAR OLD QB

Ace Gunner
08-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey Clay, what thread did you put those Stanzi gifs in?

Count Zarth
08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Clay, what thread did you put those Stanzi gifs in?

The Stanzi thread or the big preseason game thoughts thread.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
ROFL
i don't know about "would be' but they sure as hell 'might be'

orton is just as good as cassel'

Hasselbeck WAS just as good as cassel (not sure what he has left)

Moore is potentially as good as cassel

nothing to laugh off anyway and i'm not a cassel crazy basher either

the main point that our collective QB talent is really,really bad

no excuse to not have better backups

-King-
08-21-2012, 11:17 PM
WTF are you laughing about.

All of those guys are better than Mork Castille.

Shit, Hasselbeck was 35 fucking years old last season and threw for more yards than Cassel ever has since New England. And took fewer sacks than Cassel ever has. AT 35.

35 FUCKING YEAR OLD QB

And he's so good, he just got beat out by a guy who is having a mediocre at best preseason.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
And he's so good, he just got beat out by a guy who is having a mediocre at best preseason.

That they took high in the first round the previous year.

-King-
08-21-2012, 11:41 PM
That they took high in the first round the previous year.

Yeah, and he's had a mediocre preseason. And Hasselbeck has had a terrible one.

BossChief
08-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Yeah, and he's had a mediocre preseason. And Hasselbeck has had a terrible one.

Without knowing what their coaching staff was trying to work on, that's pretty much impossible to determine.