PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tamba's Suspension More Costly?

Micjones
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
The story. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/suspension-voids-large-guarantee-for-hali-in-2013/)
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/x610-66-e1345517443760.jpg?w=242

Chiefs linebacker Tamba Hali’s one-game suspension and one-game fine is guaranteed to cost him $1.32 million of his $11.25 million base salary for 2012. He’ll also lose a significant chunk of guaranteed money for 2013.

A league source tells PFT that the suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy voids $7.75 million in guaranteed payments for 2013, under the terms of a contact signed in 2011. Hali is still due to earn $12.25 million, and he’ll get all of the money he’s due to receive as long as the Chiefs don’t cut him.

If the Chiefs would cut Hali, he’d become a free agent, and he’d be able to sign elsewhere.

Pestilence
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
If the Chiefs cut Hali......Pioli should be shot in the head.

Micjones
08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I had no idea he was going to lose additional jack.
Didn't see it posted anywhere on the forum.

BoneKrusher
08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
If the Chiefs cut Hali......Pioli should be shot in the head.

i was just about to say something close to this. :D

DaFace
08-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I had no idea he was going to lose additional jack.
Didn't see it posted anywhere on the forum.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the only way he loses more than the $1.32 million is if he gets cut next year. And if that happens, the fans would revolt.

-King-
08-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Tamba Hali's Suspension Affects His Contract In A Way That Probably Doesn't Matter

by Joel Thorman on Aug 21, 2012 9:11 AM CDT

When Tamba Hali was issued his suspension he voided guarantees in his contract set to be paid in 2013. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports the substance abuse policy violation voided nearly $8 million in guarantees.

That sounds costly but it likely won't be. The voided guarantee only comes into play if the Chiefs are planing to cut Hali by 2013 which no one has ever suggested they're planning to do. (Except Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers and come November, Peyton Manning.)

Hali is due over $11 million this year. Next year he's due over $12 million. The final two years of the deal (2014 and 2015) are a combined $13 million in base salary which is roughly half of what they're paying him in base this year and next.

The contract is set up to benefit the Chiefs in the latter years of the deal which is part of the reason I don't think they'd pay out three straight years of a double digit base salary and then walk away when that number is cut in half.

Oh, and Tamba is really, really good as what he does. That's the other reason the Chiefs won't cut him.

Radar Chief
08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Holy shit! :eek:
So one little puff, puff, pass is going to cost him >$8 M?
Thatís insane.

Brock
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Florio can't write for shit.

Reerun_KC
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Man that guys screwed his pay up royally...

Pestilence
08-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Holy shit! :eek:
So one little puff, puff, pass is going to cost him >$8 M?
Thatís insane.

Man that guys screwed his pay up royally...

JFC.....only if the Chiefs cut him.....which isn't going to happen.

Micjones
08-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Tamba Hali's Suspension Affects His Contract In A Way That Probably Doesn't Matter

by Joel Thorman on Aug 21, 2012 9:11 AM CDT

When Tamba Hali was issued his suspension he voided guarantees in his contract set to be paid in 2013. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports the substance abuse policy violation voided nearly $8 million in guarantees.

That sounds costly but it likely won't be. The voided guarantee only comes into play if the Chiefs are planing to cut Hali by 2013 which no one has ever suggested they're planning to do. (Except Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers and come November, Peyton Manning.)

Hali is due over $11 million this year. Next year he's due over $12 million. The final two years of the deal (2014 and 2015) are a combined $13 million in base salary which is roughly half of what they're paying him in base this year and next.

The contract is set up to benefit the Chiefs in the latter years of the deal which is part of the reason I don't think they'd pay out three straight years of a double digit base salary and then walk away when that number is cut in half.

Oh, and Tamba is really, really good as what he does. That's the other reason the Chiefs won't cut him.

Oh okay. Florio sure wrote that up in a weird way then.

Reerun_KC
08-23-2012, 09:37 AM
JFC.....only if the Chiefs cut him.....which isn't going to happen.

Well we arent all as "rich" as you. But a one-game suspension and one-game fine is guaranteed to cost him $1.32 million .

Yeah 1.32 million is pocket change to guys like you...

Ace Gunner
08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Pioli drafted Justin Houston knowing he was just jacked up, I don't see any reason to think Pioli would cut or trade Hali for this.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
a non-story

unless Hali goes nuts and does a bunch of stupid stuff, the Chiefs aren't going to cut Hali.

this is just reporter bullshit because they can't think of anything to write about.

I think Hali is going to get fined 2 game checks ... which hurts.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Did we ever get the story on what he did? Was it weed or roids?

Micjones
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Did we ever get the story on what he did? Was it weed or roids?

I read that it was either alcohol or marijuana-related.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Cut him. Potential for locker room cancer.

Chiefnj2
08-23-2012, 09:49 AM
If a player is suspended for one game and does not receive pay, does it get credited back to the salary cap?

Ace Gunner
08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
All I heard on the radio yesterday was that he was somehow caught high. Don't know who caught him, but it must have been the league and rather than to tell the DEA one of their employees has been smoking weed, they just call it a flunk, suspend him and keep counting the $$$.

Demonpenz
08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
I could see Tamba Getting cut next year. It would be a great way for the Chiefs to save money and getting rid of an older player.

HemiEd
08-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I could see Tamba Getting cut next year. It would be a great way for the Chiefs to save money and getting rid of an older player.

Especially one with bad feet.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM

I could see Chiefsplanet cutting you next year. I hear you going to start on the pro bass tour anyway.

http://www.youngsguideservice.com/Summer%20Fishing/fishing.jpg

SNR
08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Off-topic slightly:

Does anybody know if Tamba has successfully emigrated his family over to the US since being drafted? I know money usually has nothing to do with these sorts of things, but it certainly can't hurt matters.

Demonpenz
08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Especially one with bad feet.

Stranger things. I didn't ever see the cuts dealing Manning.

HemiEd
Off-topic slightly:

Does anybody know if Tamba has successfully emigrated his family over to the US since being drafted? I know money usually has nothing to do with these sorts of things, but it certainly can't hurt matters.

yeah, they brought the weed.

Demonpenz
yeah, they brought the weed.

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
08-23-2012, 10:53 AM
As a serious drug abuser, Halishag will have to get help to curb his serious addicton.

Micjones
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Off-topic slightly:

I remember hearing a story about that early in his career about how his mom was still in a war-torn region in Africa.
I've always wondered that myself.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
As a serious drug abuser, Halishag will have to get help to curb his serious addicton.

I shouldn't of encouraged you.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Finally found something... Sounds like it was weed and that makes me happy. I really dislike the roid users.

Haliís suspension arises from previously unreported violation of law

Posted by Mike Florio on August 20, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT

Chiefs linebacker Tamba Hali has made his living slipping past blockers. At some point in the not-too-distant past, Hali and the team slipped an arrest, prosecution, and disposition of a criminal case past the media.

The decision of the NFL to suspend Hali for one game under the substance-abuse policy has created plenty of confusion, given that the substance-abuse policy as written doles out suspensions only in four-game and one-year chunks.

The exception arises when the player has violated the law.

In Haliís case, the league office attributes the Hali suspension to just that ó violation of the law that was previously unreported and undisclosed. This means that Hali has been arrested at some point for something relating to alcohol or marijuana or some other substance, and that the player, the team, and the league managed to keep the media from finding out about it.

Under the policy, a first offense for alcohol ordinarily results in a two-game fine only, barring aggravating circumstances. For second and subsequent offenses, a suspension is imposed. For offenses not involving alcohol, the first offense subjects the player to discipline of up to four games.

Itís our understanding, per a source with knowledge of the situation, that Haliís offense likely involved marijuana, and that (as the league has announced) the penalty was a one-game suspension and a one-game fine.

The good news for the Chiefs is that it doesnít mean Hali is in one of the advanced stages of the substance-abuse program, which would have put him on track for, eventually, a one-year banishment.

That said, the incident undoubtedly resulted in the placement of Hali in Stage One. Whether he emerges from the program or progresses to Stage Two or Stage Three depends at that point on whether he can choose football over the substance that got him in trouble with the law.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/halis-suspension-arises-from-violation-of-law/

Garcia Bronco
08-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I shouldn't of encouraged you.

:harumph:I am just engaging in the time honored tradition of "payback". This forum posts that kinda stufff all the time. :D

whoman69
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Cut him. Potential for locker room cancer.

Carl...Carl Pederson is that you?

Frankie
08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
So, what was the substance Tamba and did his all world performance of the past 3 years a result of the said substance.

Will he now lose his 'awesomeness' the way roidman did in San Diego?

milkman
08-23-2012, 12:34 PM
So, what was the substance Tamba and did his all world performance of the past 3 years a result of the said substance.

Will he now lose his 'awesomeness' the way roidman did in San Diego?

You should actually read through the thread to get these answers.

If I was a mod, I'd delete this thread the moment I read this post, simply to keep you in the dark.

WhiteWhale
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, so Hali loses money if we decide to cut him.

Yeah, I'm really not worried about that.

WhiteWhale
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Off-topic slightly:

You know about a month ago I got curious about exactly that and googled for a considerable amount of time.

I found a lot of "Hali wants to bring his mom to America" articles from 2005-2008, but nothing about him actually succeeding.

Frankie
08-23-2012, 01:49 PM
You should actually read through the thread to get these answers.

If I was a mod, I'd delete this thread the moment I read this post, simply to keep you in the dark.

So what's wrong with asking a simple question based on the thread subject without having to read the thread?

That said, I agree that 32 posts should have not been a deterrent. :D

Frankie
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
I read that it was either alcohol or marijuana-related.

Not performance enhancing stuff then. At least he doesn't owe his 'talent' to roids. That's actually a bit of a relief.