PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DUI Checkpoint Expected after 8/24 Preseason Game

Fish
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Heads up for those attending tonight's preseason game. I've been told by some people supposedly in the know, that KC's finest will have DUI checkpoints up at several locations around KCMO. They'll be paying close attention to the game traffic leaving the stadium.

Arrange for a DD. Be careful after the game everybody!

vailpass
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Impound lots full of camaros as far as the eye can see. A veritable ocean of sin bins.

KC native
08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
don't they always announce these in the local section of the paper? I know they used to

sedated
08-24-2012, 12:56 PM
don't they always announce these in the local section of the paper? I know they used to

Its required by law, but you only have to state what city its in.

Reerun_KC
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Never understood how people could complain about some NFL player getting a DUI, when there are a shit ton of fans getting bombed each sunday and driving home...

ptlyon
08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Never understood how people could complain about some NFL player getting a DUI, when there are a shit ton of fans getting bombed each sunday and driving home...

With the team we got we have to

Reerun_KC
08-24-2012, 01:07 PM
:facepalm:

Yeah that is a great excuse for being stupid...

vailpass
08-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Related to the fact the NFL player can afford to hire a chauffeured vehicle for the evening more than the average swinging dick.

Reerun_KC
08-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Related to the fact the NFL player can afford to hire a chauffeured vehicle for the evening more than the average swinging dick.

Still doesnt give the broke dick drunk Chiefs fan a pass for driving home drunk from the game..

TLO
08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Be careful everyone. As in don't drink and drive.

vailpass
08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Still doesnt give the broke dick drunk Chiefs fan a pass for driving home drunk from the game..

No it doesn't.

sedated
08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
ahhh, here come the holier than nows. It never takes long.

KCUnited
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
They seem to like Ward Parkway as it splits into KS, SW Trafficway through Westport, and of course the Broadway Bridge. Wornall always seems to get a few during the Summer.

Deberg_1990
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Thumbs up to the KCPD for cleaning up the trash and helping to keep the streets safe.

Bearcat
08-24-2012, 01:22 PM
ahhh, here come the holier than nows. It never takes long.

Always cut off your DD after 3 beers, a flight, and 4 shots... or the 3rd quarter. Whichever comes first.

Bump
08-24-2012, 01:23 PM
holy shit! today is Friday?

Bump
08-24-2012, 01:24 PM
dude I've been to many Chiefs games and if there really is a checkpoint, 90% of you guys are gonna get a DUI.

KC native
08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
They seem to like Ward Parkway as it splits into KS, SW Trafficway through Westport, and of course the Broadway Bridge. Wornall always seems to get a few during the Summer.

I would add right outside the Plaza.

They have their spots and usually stick to them.

DaFace
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Drink? Sure. Drink and drive? Hardly.

Bowser
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Didn't they have checkpoints set up after a Monday night game years ago that nabbed a ton of people? Haven't really heard of many checkpoints at Chiefs games after that.

BigCatDaddy
08-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I remember about 15-20 years ago they did a checkpoint not too far from the stadium after a Monday night game and people weren't getting home until like 4-5 in the morning. Talk about some pissed off people.

ptlyon
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I remember about 15-20 years ago they did a checkpoint not too far from the stadium after a Monday night game and people weren't getting home until like 4-5 in the morning. Talk about some pissed off people.

After they got sprung?

BigCatDaddy
08-24-2012, 02:08 PM
After they got sprung?

Getting busted may have been a quicker way to get home.

verbaljitsu
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
These checkpoints are so stupid. KCMO Police has conducted 18 DUI checkpoints in the last 20 weeks. The arrest rate for DUI at these checkpoints has been between 2 and 3% going back for the last 5 years. The checkpoints are having somewhere near zero deterrent effect. Keep in mind, the police get to pick the time, place, and date. So on the worst day of the year, at the worst time, in the worst spot, 2-3% of people are driving under the influence. Then factor in that "under the influence" doesn't necessarily mean drunk.

What the checkpoints have done is give the department a basis to buy new toys, including a "Mobile Command Post" that cost $400,000.00. The checkpoints also serve as a fantastic way to get KCPD officers overtime and court time pay.

The checkpoints usually find several people driving on a revoked/suspended license or with some unpaid parking tickets, and a little bit of revenue is generated from that.

But the checkpoints really only do any social good if you think it is really a good idea to give the police department a way to set its own budget, even if it bankrupts the city. And that is before you start talking about "papers please" and the argument that American citizens shouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap. Or the fact that people who assert the few rights they have left at these checkpoints often get the crap beat out of them or tazed "for their own safety."

Drinking and driving is bad, but I'm convinced the checkpoints are worse.
Follow @kccheckpoint on twitter. It is really eye opening to see on a given Friday/Saturday night how many checkpoints there are, and how futile and pointless they seem to be when the results get released on Monday morning.

KC native
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Didn't they have checkpoints set up after a Monday night game years ago that nabbed a ton of people? Haven't really heard of many checkpoints at Chiefs games after that.

Yea, they did it on the interstate and caught a bunch of johnson county pricks so it became a big deal

Bearcat
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
These checkpoints are so stupid. KCMO Police has conducted 18 DUI checkpoints in the last 20 weeks. The arrest rate for DUI at these checkpoints has been between 2 and 3% going back for the last 5 years. The checkpoints are having somewhere near zero deterrent effect. Keep in mind, the police get to pick the time, place, and date. So on the worst day of the year, at the worst time, in the worst spot, 2-3% of people are driving under the influence. Then factor in that "under the influence" doesn't necessarily mean drunk.

What the checkpoints have done is give the department a basis to buy new toys, including a "Mobile Command Post" that cost $400,000.00. The checkpoints also serve as a fantastic way to get KCPD officers overtime and court time pay.

The checkpoints usually find several people driving on a revoked/suspended license or with some unpaid parking tickets, and a little bit of revenue is generated from that.

But the checkpoints really only do any social good if you think it is really a good idea to give the police department a way to set its own budget, even if it bankrupts the city. And that is before you start talking about "papers please" and the argument that American citizens shouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap. Or the fact that people who assert the few rights they have left at these checkpoints often get the crap beat out of them or tazed "for their own safety."

Drinking and driving is bad, but I'm convinced the checkpoints are worse.
Follow @kccheckpoint on twitter. It is really eye opening to see on a given Friday/Saturday night how many checkpoints there are, and how futile and pointless they seem to be when the results get released on Monday morning.

Is it supposed to be a deterrent for those who have never been caught? I wouldn't guess that it would be, especially when (at least in the past) they've been fairly specific on the time and location.

I'd think the 1st priority is to get the drunks off the road... and those fines can be pretty stiff, so I'd think getting caught once would be a pretty good deterrent. If this is typical (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/28/3728449/midtown-dui-checkpoint-nets-25.html#storylink=misearch), it seems like a decent number of arrests... and based on the checkpoints I've driven through in the past, 1) it's hardly an inconvenience (and I'm pretty freakin' impatient) and 2) since it's just an eyeball check, I doubt someone right at .08 would be stopped unless they were stupid (outside of being a little buzzed).

I'm sure you're right to an extent though... but, if they're going to raise money for themselves, at least they're also doing the rest of us a favor in the process, as opposed to something like pulling over everyone who gets caught driving a few mph over the speed limit.

clyde05
08-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, that took me for ever to get home, was so excited when vanover ran back punt in overtime to win against San Diego on Monday night then we had to deal with stop and go traffic.

ptlyon
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, that took me for ever to get home, was so excited when vanover ran back punt in overtime to win against San Diego on Monday night then we had to deal with stop and go traffic.

Dandy I was at that game & didn't expirence a checkpoint

bevischief
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Up here we have a few companies that for $25 dollars will drive you and your car home.

Stewie
08-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Yea, they did it on the interstate and caught a bunch of johnson county pricks so it became a big deal

Yeah, the KCMO pricks sat just east of State Line to "protect and serve KCMO"... not for a money-grab or anything like that.

KCMO cop: We figured they weren't above the limit until they juuuust got to the KS line (miles and miles from Arrowhead). Then we nabbed those rich assholes. It's how we laggards in Missouri work. We can't do anything ourselves... we rely tremendously on Johnson County for every penny we can squeeze.

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM
These checkpoints are so stupid. KCMO Police has conducted 18 DUI checkpoints in the last 20 weeks. The arrest rate for DUI at these checkpoints has been between 2 and 3% going back for the last 5 years.
It takes one dumbass to wipe you and your family off the planet, permanently. If you're stupid enough to be one of those dumbasses who think that it's fine and dandy to have a few beers and get behind the wheel, you deserve everything the KCPD has to offer you.

KCrockaholic
08-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't believe in drinking during Royals, and especially Chiefs games. Not because I don't want a DUI, but because I'd rather enjoy the sport under full consciousness.

If I'm watching a Chiefs game and I've had 3 or 4 beers in me, I can tell a difference, and I cant see the details quite as well. Just not a fan of watching sports while drinking.

Now if it's 35-3 in the 4th quarter I might not give a ****, and open up a can.

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't believe in drinking during Royals, and especially Chiefs games. Not because I don't want a DUI, but because I'd rather enjoy the sport under full consciousness.

If I'm watching a Chiefs game and I've had 3 or 4 beers in me, I can tell a difference, and I cant see the details quite as well. Just not a fan of watching sports while drinking.

Now if it's 35-3 in the 4th quarter I might not give a ****, and open up a can.
Pretty much the same here. If a game is the vehicle you need to get the suds to your mouth, you may not enjoy the actual sport as much as you think you do.

KCrockaholic
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Pretty much the same here. If a game is the vehicle you need to get the suds to your mouth, you may not enjoy the actual sport as much as you think you.

Exactly.