PDA

View Full Version : Science Design an ideal prison.

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
The Norway shooting thread and its discussion of Norwegian prisons has me intrigued. We tell a lot of jokes about American prisons around here, and there's some questioning of Norway's prisons in that thread, so what should an ideal prison be like?

Assume no particular budget constraints, but be realistic. Here are some questions for you to consider:

1. Is your ideal prison more oriented toward punishment or rehabilitation? Is the goal to get criminals out of society for a while, or to prepare them to go back to society?

2. What does a prison's cell and layout look like? What do the prison grounds look like?

3. What is a prisoner's daily schedule?

4. What's your thinking on things like quality of food, TV rights, etc.?

loochy
08-24-2012, 02:48 PM
1.) Punishment.

2.) 5 layers of 360 degree razor wire over concrete floors

3.) 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. - sleep
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. - torture
5 p.m. to 10 p.m. - watch sesame street

4.) food will be a single "nutrition loaf"
no tv except sesame street

Mr. Laz
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Violent crimes is about pure punishment with a side order of 'work farm' to make money.
The jail time should also be dramatically longer.

non-violent crimes should be geared towards rehab and targeted specially towards whatever the crime was about. Plenty of work to help society and show them what they have done wrong.

It might not be popular but there needs to be a HUGE deterrent in the violent part of crimes.

carjack a car = xx penalty
carjack a car and beat the shit out of the driver = xx penalty x5 plus other stricter stuff

ptlyon
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Shes 6 feet tall, 125 lbs, blonde hair, big tits, with no voice box & owns a liquor store.

Donger
08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Thunderdome.

Old Dog
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Here you go

http://www.villamarinelifestylescalifornia.com/UserFiles/AlcatrazIsland.jpg

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Here's my thinking:

1. It should be more about rehab than punishment. The punishment exists purely by pulling them from their natural environment and confining them. You want these people to be productive when they get out.

2. I think that every prisoner should be in solitary. One person per cell, and you never see another prisoner. The only people you talk to are positive people like therapists and educators and people who give you training. Guards, of course, but that's a given. My thinking is that you want to give people the message that it's rare to be in prison, and you want to isolate them from any negative influence. From the day they arrive to the day they leave, they get nothing but contact with positive people who tell them, "We're all working with you to be sure you never end up here again." The biggest problem with current prisons, in my opinion, is that they force you to network with other bad guys and they build up a culture where being imprisoned is normal. You see more bad influencers than good ones.

3. I think prison cells (as I've seen them on documentaries) are reasonable if they're one-person cells. You want spartan but clean, small but humane.

4. My prisoners would spend eight hours a day getting training and education and learning work skills, and another eight getting therapy or life planning or in a room with one positively oriented book that they pick (pretty much any book that's not Mein Kampf or something). They get an hour of exercise time and some time for eating and grooming and stuff. If they refuse to participate, they get 12 hours of therapy every day until they do.

5. I think the food and surroundings is spartan but not unappealing. They don't get to pick their food six days a week, but on Saturdays they get to pick from a limited menu if the week has gone well.

6. As they get closer to their release date, they can begin earning money (a real wage) by applying their training and education. As they earn money, they start paying a little rent and start paying a little for food. This goes up until they're at market rate. They have to write "checks" from their account to teach them real-life skills. Excess earnings go into an account that they get when they leave, with the goal of giving them enough money to get started fresh and not walk out the door broke (which I believe leads to them walking right back into trouble).

Detoxing
08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
1.) Punishment.

2.) 5 layers of 360 degree razor wire over concrete floors

3.) 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. - sleep
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. - torture
5 p.m. to 10 p.m. - watch sesame street

4.) food will be a single "nutrition loaf"
no tv except sesame street

Just so everyone knows, ^^^^ is a wannabe Detoxing. He admires me so much he stole my user name. Shame, shame on that pooptaco.

Bump
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
You know how many crimes are committed in prison? I say if you are in prison already and you are committing crimes, like forcing people to smuggle drugs, shanking others, fighting, etc. If you are already locked up and you are doing that shit? Take all of them and put them on an island, let the ones who might be able to be rehabilitated stay.

Old Dog
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Shes 6 feet tall, 125 lbs, blonde hair, big tits, with no voice box & owns a liquor store.

So you're saying....language is VERY NSFW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iZXmWk5zDs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 03:04 PM
You know how many crimes are committed in prison? I say if you are in prison already and you are committing crimes, like forcing people to smuggle drugs, shanking others, fighting, etc. If you are already locked up and you are doing that shit? Take all of them and put them on an island, let the ones who might be able to be rehabilitated stay.

This is why you isolate everyone. No prisoner should ever see another prisoner.

Mr. Laz
Here's my thinking:

1. It should be more about rehab than punishment. The punishment exists purely by pulling them from their natural environment and confining them. You want these people to be productive when they get out.

2. I think that every prisoner should be in solitary. One person per cell, and you never see another prisoner. The only people you talk to are positive people like therapists and educators and people who give you training. Guards, of course, but that's a given. My thinking is that you want to give people the message that it's rare to be in prison, and you want to isolate them from any negative influence. From the day they arrive to the day they leave, they get nothing but contact with positive people who tell them, "We're all working with you to be sure you never end up here again." The biggest problem with current prisons, in my opinion, is that they force you to network with other bad guys and they build up a culture where being imprisoned is normal. You see more bad influencers than good ones.

3. I think prison cells (as I've seen them on documentaries) are reasonable if they're one-person cells. You want spartan but clean, small but humane.

4. My prisoners would spend eight hours a day getting training and education and learning work skills, and another eight getting therapy or life planning or in a room with one positively oriented book that they pick (pretty much any book that's not Mein Kampf or something). They get an hour of exercise time and some time for eating and grooming and stuff. If they refuse to participate, they get 12 hours of therapy every day until they do.

5. I think the food and surroundings is spartan but not unappealing. They don't get to pick their food six days a week, but on Saturdays they get to pick from a limited menu if the week has gone well.

6. As they get closer to their release date, they can begin earning money (a real wage) by applying their training and education. As they earn money, they start paying a little rent and start paying a little for food. This goes up until they're at market rate. They have to write "checks" from their account to teach them real-life skills. Excess earnings go into an account that they get when they leave, with the goal of giving them enough money to get started fresh and not walk out the door broke (which I believe leads to them walking right back into trouble).
i certainly think this should be the attitude most of the time.

prisoners hanging out with each other is just not a good thing. All it does is breed more of a 'convict' mindset.

I think work should be part of it too ... creating a product that can be sold and help fund the prison.

nstygma
for any crime, i think there should be a choice of reduction of sentence for a certain amount of caning, Singapore style.

vailpass
08-24-2012, 03:07 PM
My ideal prison design is one that is never within 50 miles of my location.
That's all.

vailpass
08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
for any crime, i think there should be a choice of reduction of sentence for a certain amount of caning, Singapore style.

Public caning. Televised. I'm for that. Also other forms of voluntary alternative sentences including thunder dome, arena, etc.

Molitoth
08-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Lets start with Step #1. Anyone who is in prison for possession of Marijuana gets released.
Then Rain Man's steps take over.

Molitoth
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh, and force them to watch Royals games.

MahiMike
08-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Middle of the desert, building a railroad. Once completed, they build the world's biggest trash dump. States from entire U.S. ship their shit there and these guys have to pile it up.

blaise
08-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Here's my thinking:

I like a lot of that but some observations:

You could never get a budget for #2. I think you'd end up with inmates getting limited human contact. You'd get suicides.

For #3, a lot of cells in Fed prisons are like dorm rooms. The prison in Yankton actually was a college at one point I think. So, you're right with that I think.

For #5, I agree, but you don't want it too spartan. The easiest way to keep everybody calm is a halfway decent meal. Guys don't like the food they get mad. They get mad they do dumb things.

I like #6 but really a lot of them actually owe restitution. I'm sure some of their victims would want that money.

I think a place like a Fed Complex works best. Three prisons on one grounds. Low, medium and max. Your crime and behavior dictate where you go. Guys get jobs. They get TV, movies and ok food.

And understand some of these guys are beyond help. They don't care and they never will.

vailpass
08-24-2012, 03:23 PM

You could never get a budget for #2. I think you'd end up with inmates getting limited human contact. You'd get suicides.

For #3, a lot of cells in Fed prisons are like dorm rooms. The prison in Yankton actually was a college at one point I think. So, you're right with that I think.

For #5, I agree, but you don't want it too spartan. The easiest way to keep everybody calm is a halfway decent meal. Guys don't like the food they get mad. They get mad they do dumb things.

I like #6 but really a lot of them actually owe restitution. I'm sure some of their victims would want that money.

I think a place like a Fed Complex works best. Three prisons on one grounds. Low, medium and max. Your crime and behavior dictate where you go. Guys get jobs. They get TV, movies and ok food.

And understand some of these guys are beyond help. They don't care and they never will.

#2 is Supermax. All solitary all the time, 23 hours in cell with 1 hour to exercise.
Then you die.

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM

On #2, my goal (again, with an unlimited budget) is that they can have all the contact they need. It's just that it's with rehab people and not other prisoners. My use of the "solitary" word is probably inappropriate in that I don't intend it to be a punishment, but rather a segregation from bad influences. My goal in this is to do nothing that will make them worse people when they get out.

On #5, I agree. I was thinking more along the lines of simple and nutritious. The food shouldn't be seen as a punishment, but also not as a treat.

Very good point on #6. I like that.

The people who don't care and are beyond help will get a whole lot of time telling that to a therapist. It's hard for me to believe that a lot of people are so far gone that they can't be saved, but perhaps I'm an optimist.

The one exception to that is the people who are mentally deranged. The Manson types of people. They're admittedly not going to ever get out, so rehabilitation shouldn't be their goal. I guess management of them is the only option, and I'm really not sure what you do with them. I guess you just feed them and give them paper to draw on, which is then burned to heat the prison.

Molitoth
08-24-2012, 03:32 PM
The one exception to that is the people who are mentally deranged. The Manson types of people. They're admittedly not going to ever get out, so rehabilitation shouldn't be their goal. I guess management of them is the only option, and I'm really not sure what you do with them. I guess you just feed them and give them paper to draw on, which is then burned to heat the prison.

Waste of oxygen. Those select need to be given up for organ donation, and/or R&D studies.

OR we could punish them by having them sell Kirby vacuum cleaners.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Ever seen Kung Fu Panda? That one is pretty good.

mikey23545
08-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Here's my thinking:

I think we are thinking along the same lines.

I made a quick sketch to show my idea for rehabilitation:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9104/rackj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/rackj.jpg/)

loochy
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Just so everyone knows, ^^^^ is a wannabe Detoxing. He admires me so much he stole my user name. Shame, shame on that pooptaco.

Just so everyone knows, ^^^^ is a wannabe Randy Poffo. He admires him so much he stole his wrestling name. Shame, shame on that once toxic (now detoxed) individual.

oldman
08-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Some people will never be rehabilitated, that's just a fact of life. Those just need to be removed from society forever. There's a lot of just plain stupid folks that can contribute and those need to receive training, etc. They can then be released AFTER they serve their time (hey, you did the crime). There's a segement that are just crazy and need meds and psych help. Those can be rehabilitated as well. Then there's some that shouldn't be there at all. They're the ones that got with a little weed that some "tough on crime" presecutor decided to make an example of.
A true tiered prison system is needed. Put the hard core in super maxs and just forget them. Crazies need to go to medical prisons. A percentage of those will fall through the initial screening but their behavior will be more easily identifed when they're in in medium security setting. The "stupid" ones, the ones that were high/drunk/out-of-control when the crime was committed, can be dealt with.

MIAdragon
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/gocalifornia/1/0/s/I/tomb-gallows-at.jpg

Sofa King
08-24-2012, 03:49 PM
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/topic-frontend/5/0/7/79507_v1.jpg

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone ever been to the insane asylum museum in St. Joe? I went the last time I was there. i just happened to be driving by and saw it. My wife and I were the only ones in there. It was scary as ****. There is some seriously messed up stuff in there. I remember this one picture frame with all these rusty screws, nuts, and bolts lined in a circular motion. It turns out this crazy check unscrewed everything in her room and ate it in a suicide attempt. They also have a display of things they used to beat people with. If you are into freaky stuff, you gotta go.

Here's a link... Glore Psychiatric Museum.

http://www.stjosephmuseum.org/glore.htm

boogblaster
08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
death fo a murders and child molesters
chain-gang fo the rest help clean-up america

bevischief
08-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Here's my thinking:

In a perfect world this is a good start.

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Anyone ever been to the insane asylum museum in St. Joe? I went the last time I was there. i just happened to be driving by and saw it. My wife and I were the only ones in there. It was scary as ****. There is some seriously messed up stuff in there. I remember this one picture frame with all these rusty screws, nuts, and bolts lined in a circular motion. It turns out this crazy check unscrewed everything in her room and ate it in a suicide attempt. They also have a display of things they used to beat people with. If you are into freaky stuff, you gotta go.

I've been there. I didn't realize it was a museum now, though.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 04:47 PM
My dad is retired from Federal Prison system. About 5 years he took my brother and me on a personal tour of the federal prison at Leavenworth. Glad I am not in there.

Canofbier
08-24-2012, 04:47 PM
http://www.merledress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mens-wedding-ring.jpg

vailpass
08-24-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.merledress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mens-wedding-ring.jpg

This is a good lock up. The key is to make sure you are the Warden.

PornChief
08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
The worse the crime, the more the Rebecca Black you have to listen to.

vailpass
08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
The worse the crime, the more the Rebecca Black you have to listen to.

My God man; this isn't he Inquisition.

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
1. My prison keeps people FAR away from reality. In fact, many of them completely forget reality exists.

2. My prison is shaped like a rectangle and has thousands upon thousands of cells.

3. My prison has no daily schedule. In fact, it's rather chaotic.

4. Food is only discussed in this prison but never consumed. You are given a bill of rights to sign upon your entry. If you fail to adhere to these rights, you are banished back to society.

Welcome to Prison
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/images/logo08.gif

Setsuna
08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
It looks like an active volcano.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I've been there. I didn't realize it was a museum now, though.

Nice ROFL

In my early 20's, I had a buddy flip out on LSD and go a little crazy with a knife. I had to call the cops and they put him in the looney bin for week. He cut himself all up with a knife. It was freaky. Anyway, I went to visit him everyday and talked to the docs and tried to convince them he was sane. Finally, they agreed to an exit interview. One of the questions was "who is the president?" At the time it was Bill Clinton. He answered, "George Clinton" and they almost didn't let him out. The Doc said "Geroge Clinton?" and he said "make my funk a P funk. I want to get funked up." I took a while but they let him go. There were some crazy fuckers in there.

True story

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2012, 05:23 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/687872/gyi0062368212.jpg

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Crappy prison. The place is never more than half full.

Molitoth
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM

I think the museum was featured on a (Ripley's believe it or Not) episode where they were tracking down people who can digest anything.

This one guy's life goal was to eat an entire airplane.
Another guy eats lightbulbs.

Crazy people.

Count Alex's Wins
08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.kansascitykc.com/chiefs/arrowhead-stadium/arrowhead-stadium-kansas-city-chiefs.jpg

No one's spirit has escaped from this prison since 1969.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Crappy prison. The place is never more than half full.

LOL true. That's the only part of the stadium that it's full seat to seat.

Chief_For_Life58
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
build a prison that orbits earth and forces prisoners into coma induced sleep while they are put to mental torture. Then send the presidents daughter there to do a documentary, have two crazy irish prisoners take the place over, and send guy pierce in to save her before it burns up into the ozone

Setsuna
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
WTF is up with all these identical avatars? Creepy.

listopencil
08-24-2012, 05:54 PM
http://andyinoman.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_2743.jpg?w=500

bishop_74
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-qdXm1oBTpc/TO7SdzuJN6I/AAAAAAAAAAU/lZ9echljgrg/s1600/mushroom-cloud.jpg

threebag02
08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
A long hallway that opens to a platform above a pit a mile below. Final Rights... Retract the platform. Tax payer money saved.

Buehler445
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Here you go

http://www.villamarinelifestylescalifornia.com/UserFiles/AlcatrazIsland.jpg

I can't really think of any better prison facility.

The whole rehab/punishment thing, meh IDK. Every society will have trouble makers. Everybody can't be a good guy.

el borracho
08-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Ideal prison? A concrete and iron box with no food, no water, no heat, no electricity, and no health care. If a prisoner wants those amenities, he/she will have to pay for them or work for them or have an outside sponsor pay/work for them. I would, however, offer free euthanasia on demand.

nstygma
08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
My dad is retired from Federal Prison system. About 5 years he took my brother and me on a personal tour of the federal prison at Leavenworth. Glad I am not in there.which security level did you tour, the camp?

JohnnyV13
08-24-2012, 11:54 PM
My ideal model is based around economic efficiency.

We need to privitize all prisons. Prisons need to generate as much profit as possible. In fact, we should just make the entire United States one big prison and we're all born guilty so that we can succeed in having the most profitable prisons in the world.

Dartgod
08-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Forced to watch Chiefs preseason games for the duration of their imprisonment.

Cruel and unusual?

Iowanian
08-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Hunger games arena and the winner is used as food for the next round of contestants.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-25-2012, 02:54 AM

Cruel and unusual punishment