PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Romeo should strip himself of DC duties

Von Dumbass
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/24/3778465/back-to-back-defeats-suggest-chiefs.html

Kent Babb | Back-to-back defeats suggest Chiefs’ Crennel is wearing too many hats

There wasn’t much Friday night at Arrowhead Stadium that wasn’t gag-inducing. The Chiefs were blown out again in a preseason game, to what should be an inferior group of talent, with an opposing quarterback who shouldn’t have had his way with a talented defense, with little fight from a defense that’s supposed to be one of the NFL’s more skilled groups.

Thank goodness for the Chiefs it didn’t count. That’s really the only salvation from the Seattle Seahawks’ 44-14 win in the third exhibition, which is supposed to be the most realistic view of what’s coming in the regular season.

If that’s true, then you can forget about the playoffs. There is still time to make fixes, but make no mistake: Coach Romeo Crennel had better get control of this mess before the games start counting. And maybe the mess begins with Crennel insisting that he coordinate his own defense. His defense was supposed to be the reason the postseason would be within reach in 2012. Now, it’s maybe the biggest concern.

On Friday, the Seahawks’ starting quarterback was Russell Wilson, a 5-foot-11 rookie whom the Chiefs — and, of course, 30 other teams — passed over until Seattle drafted him in the third round this past April. All Wilson did was go into another team’s stadium, stand tall in the pocket and complete 13 of 19 passes for 185 yards and rush for 58 more.

Stand behind the “these-games-don’t-matter” mantra if you choose, and rest knowing that’s true. But what’s also true is that in these past two tune-ups, the Chiefs’ first-team defense has shown nothing but a lack of focus and motivation and an inability to slow two offenses they should’ve dominated.

Last week, it was the St. Louis Rams, whose quarterback, Sam Bradford, had plenty of time to drop back, choose from several open receivers and fire.

“Couldn’t stop anybody,” Crennel said after that 31-17 loss.

Wilson, of all players, had no problem with a Chiefs defensive line that’s beat up and unimposing, a group of linebackers that in two weeks will be tested without the suspended Tamba Hali and a secondary that has no idea when injured cornerback Brandon Flowers or safety Kendrick Lewis might return.

It’s easy now to point toward Crennel and wonder if pulling double duty as head coach and defensive coordinator is simply too much for him. Those are two full-time jobs, both incredibly demanding. Months ago it seemed like a mistake that a coach who couldn’t win with a coordinator in Cleveland, was going it alone in his second — and, at age 65, likely final — opportunity to win as a head coach.

If these last two weeks are indications of Crennel’s ability to handle both jobs, then there’s no shame in admitting the mistake now and assigning someone to at least lighten the burden.

The preseason is about finding out about your team and yourself, and usually evaluation is restricted to players. As a head coach, Crennel has looked solid since training camp began nearly a month ago. Players are relaxed, hopeful and together. As a coordinator, though, Crennel seems like a disorganized and unable man who can’t calm his defense in the face of adversity.

Safety Eric Berry was out of position when Wilson found tight end Kellen Winslow on an uncontested 21-yard touchdown. Outside linebacker Andy Studebaker, who looked bad in a preview of what’s to come when Hali will be absent because of a drug suspension in two weeks, whiffed and couldn’t correct his mistake when running back Robert Turbin ran right at him. And after a third-down personal foul on Hali in the second quarter, the Chiefs couldn’t shake it off and watched Wilson complete a 22-yard pass to Anthony McCoy — a play that led to another touchdown.

Nothing can undermine a head coach’s ability to win and retain the loyalty of his players like a coordinator who’s failing. Now imagine if that’s the same person.

This is a time when Crennel should analyze his own performance and understand that this is a job that claims good coaches every year, humbles them and leaves their careers in the dust. He should learn that stroking his ego and controlling the defense is nothing like winning in a city that’s starved for a contender.

If nothing else, he should learn from a man who tried and failed — on this same team, in this same stadium, with much of this same staff. Crennel surely heard about Todd Haley’s results in 2009, when he called his own offense, and Crennel had a front-row seat last season as Haley was the puppet master when Bill Muir was a coordinator for the first time in the season before he retired. The Chiefs had losing seasons both of those years, and Haley was fired with three games to play in 2011. Another coach who thought he could do it all, and another opportunity that bit the dust.

Crennel wouldn’t have to look far to find a competent coordinator. Linebackers coach Gary Gibbs would be a fine choice. He coordinated the Saints’ defense for three seasons in the last decade and is used to the high-pressure world of coaching in the spotlight. He was Oklahoma’s head coach for six seasons in the late 1980s and early ‘90s.

Or why not Emmitt Thomas, the former Chiefs great who’s now the team’s defensive-backs coach? He has coordinated three NFL defenses, most recently with Minnesota in 2001.

The point is that Crennel can make this move now and teach his players that even an old coach can learn something new about himself. If he can, why can’t they make adjustments in the name of winning? He can do it without looking bad, and he can do it without having to worry about trying to save face.

And if he is worried about that, he can tell himself one simple thing: Better now than later.

Not sure why the column on the site hasn't been updated, but Crennel acknowledged that he might consider someone else as def coordinator.https://twitter.com/kentbabb/status/239409390392844288

WhiteWhale
08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
That's retarded.

Gary Gibbs was a fucking terrible DC.

-King-
08-25-2012, 11:08 AM
God I hate preseason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner
08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh, I don't know you could say RC is lacking at DC, but that DL is playing like crap with exception to Tyson Jackson. Honestly, this is not a coaching issue imo, the team just does not have the horses.

Crennel will do what he does, make the players look much better through his elaborate schemes, but unless this DL grows into a formidable force up front at some point this season, this defense won't be able stop good offenses.

So, I'd say no to Babb here. RC is the best DC this team has and it's not even close.

Raiderhader
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I will reserve judgment until the regular season when RAC is calling more than a vanilla defense. I just don't see how this group has regressed this much from the end of last season, and all the turmoil surrounding it.

Deberg_1990
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
It's way to early to evaluate Romeo, but I'm not really a big fan of Head Coaches handling coordinators duties as well. I know a few HC have done well with it, but that's more the exception and not the rule.

Von Dumbass
08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Not sure why the column on the site hasn't been updated, but Crennel acknowledged that he might consider someone else as def coordinator.https://twitter.com/kentbabb/status/239409390392844288

New World Order
08-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I dont agree with that, Romeo is a good DC

Sannyasi
08-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I dont agree with that, Romeo is a good DC

Agreed. Maybe Romeo should nominate a new HC.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-25-2012, 11:19 AM
https://twitter.com/kentbabb/status/239409390392844288

You'd think he would think more about things like this before the season. He's been a head coach before.

WilliamTheIrish
08-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Turn the defense over to Emmitt Thomas. He's capable and a fan favorite. They're going to suck either way, but at least Romeo won't age 20 years handling dual roles this season.

cabletech94
08-25-2012, 11:42 AM
On Friday, the Seahawks’ starting quarterback was Russell Wilson, a 5-foot-11 rookie whom the Chiefs — and, of course, 31 other teams — passed over until Seattle drafted him in the third round this past April. All Wilson did was go into another team’s stadium, stand tall in the pocket and complete 13 of 19 passes for 185 yards and rush for 58 more.

pretty sure the raiders didn't have a pick until after the chickenhawks, in the third round.

die in an aids-tree fire, if i'm wrong. :)

philfree
08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I will reserve judgment until the regular season when RAC is calling more than a vanilla defense. I just don't see how this group has regressed this much from the end of last season, and all the turmoil surrounding it.

What happened to that late season D from last year? We have to find a way to get back to that. What are we missing? Kelly Gregg?

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Babb is a fucking idiot. This article sucks Babb.

KCUnited
08-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Should've hired a head coach.

Urc Burry
08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Do DC's even gameplan against teams in the preseason?

royr17
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
What happened to that late season D from last year? We have to find a way to get back to that. What are we missing? Kelly Gregg?

Umm outside of Gregg, we lost Carr, Gilberry, Lewis is hurt, Flowers is hurt. Basically right now we have a shit secondary. Brown is no Flowers and Routt is average, Carr was way better.

royr17
08-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Jalil Brown might be better off tested as a safety, leave Daniels at CB

philfree
08-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Umm outside of Gregg, we lost Carr, Gilberry, Lewis is hurt, Flowers is hurt. Basically right now we have a shit secondary. Brown is no Flowers and Routt is average, Carr was way better.

Yeah I know but we were playing great D at the end of the season with no Eric Berry and with John McGraw. To me as banged up as our 2ndary is this all starts with the front 7.

Tuckdaddy
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Babb is a complete idiot! 5 SB rings say RC can be the DC. Babb is stupid as hell.

whoman69
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Babb is a complete idiot! 5 SB rings say RC can be the DC. Babb is stupid as hell.

5 SB rings don't say he can be HC and DC. I'd say he needs to think about it before its too late.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm never a fan of double-duty coaching.

Big Smoke
08-25-2012, 03:26 PM
God I hate preseason.
Posted via Mobile Device

No joke.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Totally agree. I said it earlier today. Every screamed about Haley doing it. Time for Crennel to do one or the other.

OctoberFart
08-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Should've hired a head coach.

They cost money when you have a bandaid that will work for peanuts.

xztop12
08-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Our starting corners idiot

xztop12
08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Also the D didn't really play that bad. The only really concerning stuff is the few big gain runs but thats partially because the O didn't get any first downs...

philfree
08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Our starting corners idiot

I shouldn't acknowledge this post but....... as my other post said I believe it all starts with how our front 7 are playing. No discipline with players not in their gaps and not much fire coming out of the gate the last two weeks.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Also the D didn't really play that bad. The only really concerning stuff is the few big gain runs but thats partially because the O didn't get any first downs...

were you watching the Chiefs?

Big Smoke
08-25-2012, 03:46 PM

Jalil Brown played bad.

philfree
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM

NO shit! LOL I'm an idot though:)

xztop12
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM

about 14 of those points were off stupid penalties that revived their drives. maybe more. The punt was a dumb fluke. thats 21. so yes i watched the game, the Defense wasnt that bad, jalil got beat a few plays, there was a miscommunication with Berry on one, and then there were the runs (that was the bad part)

L.A. Chieffan
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
5 SB rings don't say he can be HC and DC. I'd say he needs to think about it before its too late.

Its already too late.