PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Starting nose tackle: Jerrell Powe. Deactivate Poe.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 01:59 PM
It finally happened.

What we were all hoping for and secretly believing in the 6th round of the NFL draft over a year ago, has finally happened.

Jerrell Powe, to me, looks like a really, really good starting nose tackle in the NFL.

I was hesitant to say this because Toribio looked solid for two weeks, and Powe was going up against 3rd stringers.

But after Toribio went down against the Seahawks, Powe played a lot of the base snaps and not only did he get push, he penetrated the backfield and clogged the lanes.

Dontari Poe, on the other hand, really needs to work on his base-package game this year, but he really looks promising on 3rd downs.

Powe is the perfect two-down talent. Poe looks really great on third-and-long.

And when Toribio comes back?

Deactivate Poe for 2012 if Toribio keeps showing well. Deactivating Jerrell Powe worked wonders, apparently, for his performance in 2012. Giving Poe a year to get his technique down would probably yeild similar results.

O.city
08-25-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't think you deactivate him, he's gonna play alot. Mainly sub stuff.

Dicky McElephant
08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Start rotating Poe in at DE.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't think you deactivate him, he's gonna play alot. Mainly sub stuff.

He looks pretty damn good at subpackages so far. I wasn't expecting him to look good at anything, so I'm loving it.

Even against the Seahawks, Poe looked solid on 3rd and long.

I think if what you're predicting comes true, and Poe is activated and playing subpackages for 16 games, he's going to get a couple sacks.

philfree
08-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I appreciate many of your posts but No on this one.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Also an interesting idea. But not for 2012.

I want him going against less talented competition in the interior line. I don't think you cure what ails Poe by lining up across bigger, stronger, more athletic tackles.

Saul Good
08-25-2012, 02:04 PM

This may happen if TJax gets cut...and I'm starting to think this is a possibility.

Dicky McElephant
08-25-2012, 02:05 PM
If Powe really shows that he is our NT.....then you start putting Poe at DE. He's big enough and strong enough to take on blockers....but he also has the pass rush to get some pressure on the QB from that position as well. In Nickle packages....you can line him up inside and let him rush the passer exclusively.

the Talking Can
08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
poe looks like a DE to me...

O.city
Makes sense Pest, but I don't think they see him playing DE this year.

philfree
This may happen if TJax gets cut...and I'm starting to think this is a possibility.

You think Jackson is going to be cut? We'll find out soon enough but I don't think there's a chance in hell of tht happening.

Dicky McElephant
08-25-2012, 02:07 PM
You think Jackson is going to be cut? We'll find out soon enough but I don't think there's a chance in hell of tht happening.

If he doesn't live up to his $14 million dollar cap hit (or take a paycut)....he just might.

Urc Burry
DT isn't like QB. The only way Poe is going to get better if he gets reps in real game situations

O.city
We've talked about this before, but I just don't like the 2 gap 34. It's just not an aggressive defense in my mind.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:08 PM

You do not cut the best DE on this team.

Especially while your other DE is set to hit free agency.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
DT isn't like QB. The only way Poe is going to get better if he gets reps in real game situations

It's an art, not a science.

We shielded Powe from real game situations for his rookie season.

Now he's blasting people.

jd1020
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
If he doesn't live up to his $14 million dollar cap hit (or take a paycut)....he just might.

He'll be restructured with an extension or something. No way are the Chiefs going to want to start a season with only 33% of their line.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
We've talked about this before, but I just don't like the 2 gap 34. It's just not an aggressive defense in my mind.

It's a classic bend-but-don't-break.

It's a phenomenal defense if you have all world talent.

Anything less than that, and it can be a successful defense, but it's always frustrating to watch.

Urc Burry
08-25-2012, 02:11 PM

From what I saw Powe is still pretty inconsistent. He would get penetration one play, and the next would be pushed back 5 yards.

Spongeblack Bobtard
It finally happened.

What we were all hoping for and secretly believing in the 6th round of the NFL draft over a year ago, has finally happened.

Jerrell Powe, to me, looks like a really, really good starting nose tackle in the NFL.

I was hesitant to say this because Toribio looked solid for two weeks, and Powe was going up against 3rd stringers.

But after Toribio went down against the Seahawks, Powe played a lot of the base snaps and not only did he get push, he penetrated the backfield and clogged the lanes.

Dontari Poe, on the other hand, really needs to work on his base-package game this year, but he really looks promising on 3rd downs.

Deactivate Poe for 2012 if Toribio keeps showing well. Deactivating Jerrell Powe worked wonders, apparently, for his performance in 2012. Giving Poe a year to get his technique down would probably yeild similar results.

Yep, I was saying it in another thread but Powe definately earned a spot in the top 2 of the rotation last night. Pitoitua got his shot with the #1s last week and was terrible. Powe got the same shot last night and kicked ass.

O.city
It's a classic bend-but-don't-break.

It's a phenomenal defense if you have all world talent.

Anything less than that, and it can be a successful defense, but it's always frustrating to watch.

It just seems that we are on our heels alot, instead of being the aggressor.

Saul Good

I don't think he WILL, but I'm starting to think he might. He's supposed to make $8,000,000 this year and $15,000,000 next year. You could sign Shaun Smith for less than $2,000,000 per season and not lose a ton of production. That would free up a ton of money that could be better allocated somewhere else.

O.city
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Would you get it through your head that Pitoutiua doesn't and did not ever play NT.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Yep, I was saying it in another thread but Powe definately earned a spot in the top 2 of the rotation last night. Pitoitua got his shot with the #1s last week and was terrible. Powe got the same shot last night and kicked ass.

I'd be okay with replacing Pitoitua with Shaun Smith.

But that's just me.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
DE: Dorsey, Gordon
NT: Powe, Poe
DE: Jackson, Smith

subpackages: Bailey, Poe

the Talking Can
I'd be okay with replacing Pitoitua with Shaun Smith.

But that's just me.

i'll have what he's having

Dicky McElephant
Would you get it through your head that Pitoutiua doesn't and did not ever play NT.

This. This guy is a fucking idiot.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:14 PM

We have the best NT teacher in history with Romeo Crennel. He has coached some of the best of the best - Tractor Traylor, Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers and the list goes on. He hand picked guys like Powe and Poe and they will be good.

KCUnited
Rapeatitty seems a bit long to be effective.

The Bad Guy
Why don't we just rotate Powe and Poe and get a guy who has no future here out?

Sign Smith as a rotational guy.

This line is far from a strength.

Saul Good
You do not cut the best DE on this team.

Especially while your other DE is set to hit free agency.

If Shaus Smith were on our team making $2,000,000, and Tyson Jackson was a free agent from another team, would you advocate cutting Smith and signing Jackson to a contract paying him $8,000,000 this season?

O.city
Pit (i'm abbreviating cause I can't type that shit all day) played pretty well at DE last night.

Spongeblack Bobtard

He did against St. Louis. Watch the tape. Watch the first quarter.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:15 PM
This. This guy is a ****ing idiot.

Fuck you five word fuckstick

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
If Shaus Smith were on our team making $2,000,000, and Tyson Jackson was a free agent from another team, would you advocate cutting Smith and signing Jackson to a contract paying him $8,000,000 this season?

I don't think so, but I don't think that's our option.

Smith will play here for half that.

Jackson will likely sign a long-term extention paying him half that.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Why don't we just rotate Powe and Poe and get a guy who has no future here out?

Sign Smith as a rotational guy.

This line is far from a strength.

Amen.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Pit (i'm abbreviating cause I can't type that shit all day) played pretty well at DE last night.

He's not a bad DE.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM

You're wrong.

O.city
08-25-2012, 02:18 PM

No, he didn't.

He might have moved inside on a sub rush, but he did not play NT.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
No, he didn't.

I don't think he even did that.

I have no recollection of what he's referring to.

Bump
08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
why on earth would you deactivate the #11 pick? That seems dumb as hell.

xztop12
08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Poe at De could be the way to go. Because it looks like again this year that our DE's are a major weakness when teams pass on first/second

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:21 PM
why on earth would you deactivate the #11 pick? That seems dumb as hell.

Don't think of him as the #11 pick. Think of him as a potential stud DL that you have to groom properly.

We did the same thing with Jerrell Powe in 2011, and he looks like the best NT we've made the 3-4 transfer.

philfree
08-25-2012, 02:21 PM
No, he didn't.

I thought he played LDE in the base D but I'd have to go watch it again to say that with a 100% confidence.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
You're wrong.

No I'm not. It's there man.

Pitoitua is a swing man. Just like Gordan and Sean Smith. When KC signed him, that's why they signed him to do. He was signed to play NT and DE. When he got here in May, the first thing they had him do was gain weight. If we sign Sean Smith, there is a very good chance we will let Pitoitua walk.

O.city
08-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Pitoitua is a swing man. Just like Gordan and Sean Smith. When KC signed him, that's why they signed him to do. He was signed to play NT and DE. When he got here in May, the first thing they had him do was gain weight. If we sign Sean Smith, there is a very good chance we will let Pitoitua walk.

The dude is 6 7. He did not play one fucking snap at NT. I just watched the whole STL first half.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Name the play that Pitoitua even lined up at nose tackle.

BossChief
08-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Powe had conditioning issues and a learning disability.

Poe doesn't have either and needs the reps.

O.city
08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Powe might be the best surprise of TC and preseason at this point.

aturnis

Just like Tanney played in game one? I'm guessing you saw Pitt in a sub package and your just too you to realize it...

mcaj22
think about what you are saying

Deactivate Poe like they did Powe last season.

So in a nutshell, do the same thing for our FIRST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR AS WE DID A FUCKING 6th ROUNDER LAST YEAR.

do you know how sad that is in perspective, that we spent a first round pick on a guy that by your homerism, shouldnt even be contributing this season? Real good drafting.

Saul Good
08-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't think so, but I don't think that's our option.

Smith will play here for half that.

Jackson will likely sign a long-term extention paying him half that.

How is that not our option? Jackson will make $8,000,000 this season if we don't cut him. Let's say we chop his salary in half next year...that's still nearly $8,000,000.

Mr. Laz
08-25-2012, 02:31 PM
nah ... keep playing Poe, just move Powe up the depth chart.

The Bad Guy
08-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Don't think of him as the #11 pick. Think of him as a potential stud DL that you have to groom properly.

We did the same thing with Jerrell Powe in 2011, and he looks like the best NT we've made the 3-4 transfer.

This isn't the QB position. You don't sit him on the bench. He has to play snaps.

The situations are nothing alike.

Dicky McElephant
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Fuck you five word fuckstick

Keep continuing to get proven wrong. You're a fucking moron that talks out of his ass.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
How is that not our option? Jackson will make $8,000,000 this season if we don't cut him. Let's say we chop his salary in half next year...that's still nearly $8,000,000.

He'll make that much this year, yeah. But an extension is on the horizon.

whoman69
08-25-2012, 02:39 PM

He's already restructured.

whoman69
08-25-2012, 02:40 PM
If Poe is deactivated, he needs to clear waivers. No way that happens.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Name the play that Pitoitua even lined up at nose tackle.

It was more than just one. In the first quarter against St. Louis, he was in the rotation and spelled Toribido. When he was in, we got blown up in the running game. I understand that he is listed as a DE. However, all I am saying is that Romeo was screwing around with him at NT. Last night he played Allen Bailey at ROLB for a quarter. He stood up the entire time. What I am saying is not uncommon or unreasonable. It's the truth. Maybe there's not a competition for the first rotational spot at NT? Maybe there is? All I know is that in three games there have been three different players in the rotation is the first quarter. Week one it was Poe, week two it was Pitoitua, and week three it was Powe. Poe came in the second quarter against St. Louis and he played well imo.

Harvey Dahl made Pitoitua look bad. What was even worse was that Wells, their starting ceneter, didn't even play.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Keep continuing to get proven wrong. You're a ****ing moron that talks out of his ass.

:clap: more than five words!

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 02:45 PM
It was more than just one. In the first quarter against St. Louis, he was in the rotation and spelled Toribido. When he was in, we got blown up in the running game. I understand that he is listed as a DE. However, all I am saying is that Romeo was screwing around with him at NT. Last night he played Allen Bailey at ROLB for a quarter. He stood up the entire time. What I am saying is not uncommon or unreasonable. It's the truth. Maybe there's not a competition for the first rotational spot at NT? Maybe there is? All I know is that in three games there have been three different players in the rotation is the first quarter. Week one it was Poe, week two it was Pitoitua, and week three it was Powe. Poe came in the second quarter against St. Louis and he played well imo.

Harvey Dahl made Pitoitua look bad. What was even worse was that Wells, their starting ceneter, didn't even play.

You're wrong.

Saul Good
08-25-2012, 02:47 PM
He'll make that much this year, yeah. But an extension is on the horizon.

You think he's going to restructure to something that makes him a good value compared to a JAG like Smith?

I doubt he makes less next year than this year even if he restructures. He's not going to take a 75% pay cut compared to what he's scheduled to make.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 02:50 PM
**** you five word ****stick

Thats 7 words dumbass.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Wait, wut?

Mr. Laz
08-25-2012, 02:56 PM
since when?

last i heard being deactivated isn't the practice squad

OctoberFart
08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
poe looks like a DE to me...

He sure doesn't look like a 0 technique on the nose that's for sure. He has spent more time on the ground than defending the run.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 02:58 PM
You're wrong.

The play that sticks out in my mind was a when Steven Jackson ran on the right side for a gain of like ten or something. He ran between Dahl and Richardson. I remember posting about it after watching the game. Maybe I'm wrong? I've been wrong before.

Marcellus
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Deactivate Poe for 2012?

Man I have read some dumb shit on here over the years and that is way up there.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Thats 7 words dumbass.

yeah but, "five word fuckstick" had a nice ring to it

Deberg_1990
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Deactivate Poe for 2012?

Most likely wont happen, but its not unprecedented. The Chiefs kept LJ deactivated for at least half the season his rookie year.

BigMeatballDave
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Yeah, that's not true at all.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Just like Tanney played in game one? I'm guessing you saw Pitt in a sub package and your just too you to realize it...

I figured that was coming. I bet you wouldn't have said anything if I said I saw Stanzi pants play last night would you penis lover?

Also, I can't see deactivating Poe. He has played well in my opinion. Honestly, he has played better than expected. He was a DE at Memphis and there is a learning curve. He'll be fine.

Munson
08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
It makes no sense to deactivate Poe. We spent the #11 overall pick on him. Get his ass on the field to get some experience.

Brock
08-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Deactivate Poe for 2012?

WTF are these people thinking?

Big Smoke
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
DE: Dorsey, Gordon
NT: Powe, Poe
DE: Jackson, Smith

subpackages: Bailey, Poe

I like this setup.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 04:41 PM
You think he's going to restructure to something that makes him a good value compared to a JAG like Smith?

I doubt he makes less next year than this year even if he restructures. He's not going to take a 75% pay cut compared to what he's scheduled to make.

I disagree. Jackson knows he's not getting $14 M next year.

He knows he'll have to agree to a restructure/extension or be cut.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
The play that sticks out in my mind was a when Steven Jackson ran on the right side for a gain of like ten or something. He ran between Dahl and Richardson. I remember posting about it after watching the game. Maybe I'm wrong? I've been wrong before.

You're wrong.

BossChief
08-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Poe needs to be in sub packages untilhe earns the rigth to get more time.

Same as DJ did in 2009 when he only played in passing situations until he earned more.

Pure and simple, Powe NEEDS to be put in with the starters RIGHT NOW and he needs to stay there until there comes a time when Poe BEATS HIM for the job.

Powe has shown up BIG TIME whenever he has been put on the field and this defense would be much better with him running with the 1s.

Shit, with the push and penetration he gets...he could even be a 3 down player for us.

Direckshun
08-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Same as DJ did in 2009 when he only played in passing situations until he earned more.

Pure and simple, Powe NEEDS to be put in with the starters RIGHT NOW and he needs to stay there until there comes a time when Poe BEATS HIM for the job.

Powe has shown up BIG TIME whenever he has been put on the field and this defense would be much better with him running with the 1s.

Shit, with the push and penetration he gets...he could even be a 3 down player for us.

I really do think a Powe/Poe rotation works.

BossChief
08-25-2012, 04:51 PM
What I saw from Poe last night was a kid that wasnt being responsible.

He would push the pocket, but get pushed off his ground too easily.

I think every time Wilson took off and ran with it for a big gainer, it was because Poe was totally out of position.

To be expected form a rookie DLin preseason, but I thought I would point it out.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
You're wrong.

He played NT with the ones. We got him to be a Sean Smith tweener type. if I had the game on DVR still I would tell you when it was. If He gets cut, it will be because of that game.

BossChief
08-25-2012, 05:50 PM
He played NT with the ones. We got him to be a Sean Smith tweener type. if I had the game on DVR still I would tell you when it was. If He gets cut, it will be because of that game.

That wasnt nose play.

He was playing in sub packages with 2 down linemen.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
That wasnt nose play.

That's probably right and technically would not make him a NT. I remember Dahl making him look bad. I found pics of him tackling Steven Jackson a couple of times. I wish I could find pics of the d-line but, I give up. :toast:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/vjERinu65uu/Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+St+Louis+Rams/5lfhG-MSWmr/Ropati+Pitoitua

Gretz wrote a good article about him but, you have to pay to read it.... If I can find it I'll post it.

xztop12
08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Who gives a crap if Powe has bad conditioning. As an athlete as soon as you start to be come more aerobically conditioned you lose a little bit of anerobic. I'd rather see him be explosive and use a rotation

SNR
08-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Romeo had a written exam about playing NT before the training camp to determine the initial starter. That's why Toribio had been starting over Powe.

BossChief
08-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Romeo had a written exam about playing NT before the training camp to determine the initial starter. That's why Toribio had been starting over Powe.

;)

Guru
08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
But, but, but, your first round pick should always be a starter.

Saul Good
08-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I disagree. Jackson knows he's not getting $14 M next year.

He knows he'll have to agree to a restructure/extension or be cut.

Of course he will restructure. How much do you think he will get? He is marginally more valuable than Smith, but he will get paid quadruple what Smith gets next year.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM

Harsh! ROFL

Direckshun
08-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Of course he will restructure. How much do you think he will get? He is marginally more valuable than Smith, but he will get paid quadruple what Smith gets next year.

I'd peg him at $5m a year.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2012, 12:17 AM
I'd peg him at $5m a year.

He is not worth $5 million per but you're probably close. I'm guessing he'll get $10-12 million upfront with a small salary in 2013 & 2014 and earn about $4 million per year from 2015-2017.

Total value around $24-25 million. Anything more would be a mistake.

KC Tattoo
08-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Yep. This.

Only I think Powe is going be better for a long time and continue to progress over Poe rate of progress.

ILChief
08-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I remember after we drafted Poe, Pioli and Romeo both said they liked his versatility and he could play both NT and DE. If Powe pans out, I wonder if they would let Dorsey walk and move Poe to DE

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I remember after we drafted Poe, Pioli and Romeo both said they liked his versatility and he could play both NT and DE. If Powe pans out, I wonder if they would let Dorsey walk and move Poe to DE

I was thinking that to. He could play a Ngata type of role. He mostly played DE at Memphis.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 09:35 AM
except that Poe, is nowhere close to anything Haloti Ngata. In terms of talent or "role"

ILChief
08-26-2012, 09:58 AM
except that Poe, is nowhere close to anything Haloti Ngata. In terms of talent or "role"

Except no one knows since he has never even played in an NFL reg season game

bevischief
08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
We have the best NT teacher in history with Romeo Crennel. He has coached some of the best of the best - Tractor Traylor, Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers and the list goes on. He hand picked guys like Powe and Poe and they will be good.

Sure hope so...

O.city
08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
We need to use him this year, in a position he's good at, Poe that is. Right now, he isn't very good at playing the 0 tech NT in the base. Now, he needs to get some reps there over the year, but for the Chiefs and for Poe's confidence, he needs to be used as a subpackage pass rusher.

Saul Good
08-26-2012, 10:59 AM
He is not worth $5 million per but you're probably close. I'm guessing he'll get $10-12 million upfront with a small salary in 2013 & 2014 and earn about $4 million per year from 2015-2017.

Total value around $24-25 million. Anything more would be a mistake.

And is that good value compared with someone like Smith for $1.5 million per year, especially considering that he will make $8,000,000 this year?

O.city
08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
At this point, I'd look at letting Gordon loose to bring in Smith. We need some nastiness up front.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 11:03 AM
At this point, I'd look at letting Gordon lose to bring in Smith. We need some nastiness up front.

What would you let Gordon lose? Himself inside of you?

Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner
08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Titans cut veteran DT Shaun Smith

The Tennessee Titans have released veteran defensive tackle Shaun Smith a year after signing him to boost their defense.

The Titans signed Smith in July 2011 hoping to bring his experience and size to the defense. But Smith started only six of 15 games last season with 44 tackles and one sack, and the Titans have picked four tackles in the past two drafts.

Smith lost weight this offseason yet had only one tackle in two preseason games. The eight-year veteran tweeted Wednesday morning that it was time to see what team he will be with next and that he should have made better ''life decisions.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/shaun-smith-tennessee-titans-released-082212

Maybe ol Shaun feels he should have stayed in KC?

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Titans cut veteran DT Shaun Smith

The Tennessee Titans have released veteran defensive tackle Shaun Smith a year after signing him to boost their defense.

The Titans signed Smith in July 2011 hoping to bring his experience and size to the defense. But Smith started only six of 15 games last season with 44 tackles and one sack, and the Titans have picked four tackles in the past two drafts.

Smith lost weight this offseason yet had only one tackle in two preseason games. The eight-year veteran tweeted Wednesday morning that it was time to see what team he will be with next and that he should have made better ''life decisions.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/shaun-smith-tennessee-titans-released-082212
Q

Why the fuck do you think people have talked IN THIS FUCKING THREAD about signing him?

Fucking idiot
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
08-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

BOWM! ROASTED!

Ceej
08-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

I very rarely see someone mistake "lose" for "loose."

But, today sir, you made a miracle happen.

O.city
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
And fixed

BossChief
08-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Oh, just STFU.

Stop acting like you had ever seen the kid play before preseason or know what his "talent" or "role" was/is.

Guys that have (Mayock, Kiper, other draft guys) watched him play at Memphis have ALL said he is very similar to Haloti Ngata.

beach tribe
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a hard time believing that deactivating him will help him in any way. Playing time will help his development more than anything.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 08:57 PM

I Just finished watching the first half of the Seattle game again. They used this package two plays in a row starting at 1:54 left in the first half. You are right. There are only two down linemen. Pitoitua lined up over the center and the right guard. Poe lined up over the left guard and left tackle. I would call Pitoitua a NT in this package because of where he lines up.

The first play was a running play and Pitoitua really broke it up and made a tackle for no gain. This is good because on a similar play last week he got owned by Dahl and the back up center.

On the second play, Seattle called a pass. We blitzed Houstson from the left side and he was slaughtered by the TE and Richardson. Pitoitua got no push. Poe got some push but only took one blocker (LG). Hali went one on one with Okung but didn't get loose. Elam blitzed behind Hali but was late. It ended up being a completion for a first down.

I don't like this package. It seems very hit or miss. Why don't we drop a LB and add a DB instead of drop a DL and add a DB? It makes more sense imo. It's the base defense they use at West Virginia and South Carolina (3-3-5).

We just aren't consistant in this package. However, I did think Pitoitua played a very good game at DE. He played well on the left and right sides. I just don't think it works with him at NT. He's just to tall to be consistant inside imo.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
so you were wrong yet again?

do you even pay attention when the game is on?

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
so you were wrong yet again?

do you even pay attention when the game is on?

I was wrong and I was right. You are asking me if I watch? Do you even know what the hell I am talking about? LOL

Get back to your monkey wrench lug nuts.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I was wrong and I was right. You are asking me if I watch? Do you even know what the hell I am talking about? LOL

Get back to your monkey wrench lug nuts.

yeah i know, you said poe played end. now you are trying to spin it and call someone else the NT because thats how you "feel":.

how many snaps did tanny play again?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2012, 09:15 PM
This guy is Sauto's virtual game of whack a mole, heh.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
And is that good value compared with someone like Smith for $1.5 million per year, especially considering that he will make $8,000,000 this year?

I think Smith is done. Besides that, he has character concerns, which have restricted his salary considerably over the years.

chiefzilla1501
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM

I don't think we necessarily have to treat this like a competition. Poe isn't going to be ready, so start him off by being great at a specific role. Once he masters that role, move him on to learning new and different things. As a 3rd down linemen, as a lot of people have him pencilled in at, he gets to do more of the easier stuff and frankly, less to lose if he screws up (it's not like a first down situation where a RB can break off for 50 yards if he screws up his gap responsibility).

I think you can start him off by focusing a lot more on 5-technique type stuff. As a Nose Tackle, he HAS to learn how to play hand-to-hand combat and he walked into the pros with horrible technique.

The ultimate goal is to be Vince Wilfork. Unlike Powe, Poe has the potential to be a Nose Tackle who can play 3 downs. The ability to have a Nose Tackle who can also play 5-technique is a huge luxury for a defense, as offenses are moving to faster, no huddle offenses and defenses can't afford to keep shuffling a 1-dimensional run-stuffing Nose Tackle on and off the field.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
This guy is Sauto's virtual game of whack a mole, heh.

no he isnt

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2012, 09:27 PM
midgets raped him

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
midgets raped him

glad you got

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2012, 09:29 PM
front row seat

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
crazy mother fucker

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM
yeah i know, you said poe played end. now you are trying to spin it and call someone else the NT because thats how you "feel":.

how many snaps did tanny play again?

It has nothing to do with Poe. I said Tanney didn't play any.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
It has nothing to do with Poe. I said Tanney didn't play any.

then why was your post about poe and pit?

Coogs
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
It finally happened.

Serious question here. Based off of the bolded part, why would Powe only be considered a 2 down NT and not a 3 down NT?

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
then why was your post about poe and pit?

It is about Pit and the formation.

Coogs,

Most big 3-4 NTs aren't three down players. They mostly just only play in the 3-4. Most are just too big to play three downs and they wear down. Most importantly, on third down you must be able to rush the passer. Most aren't pass rushers like Suh. They are just fat ass pluggers.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Coogs,

Most big 3-4 NTs are three down players. They mostly just only play in the 3-4. Most are just too big to play three downs and they wear down. Most importantly, on third down you must be able to rush the passer. Most aren't pass rushers like Suh. They are just fat ass pluggers.

you were wrong, totally.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:44 PM

Coogs,

Most big 3-4 NTs aren't three down players. They mostly just only play in the 3-4. Most are just too big to play three downs and they wear down. Most importantly, on third down you must be able to rush the passer. Most aren't pass rushers like Suh. They are just fat ass pluggers.

I meant to say aren't. I was wrong. Totally.

Coogs
08-26-2012, 09:48 PM
So just the wearing out factor is the biggest issue? I was just thinking after watching Powe play, and what Poe can do on the 3rd down pass rush that those two would be beastly lined up next to each other on 3rd down passing situations.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 09:50 PM
So just the wearing out factor is the biggest issue? I was just thinking after watching Powe play, and what Poe can do on the 3rd down pass rush that those two would be beastly lined up next to each other on 3rd down passing situations.

It's partly about motor but mostly about pass rushing ability. Poe will be a three down NT someday. Romeo has said it. At least RAC hopes so. In fact, the first thing Crennel asked him on the phone when we drafted him was if he wqas going to be a three down player for him. It's just not common for really the big guys.

Saul Good
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I think Smith is done. Besides that, he has character concerns, which have restricted his salary considerably over the years.

Smith is just an example of a generic player. Substitute any JAG, and you don't lose much, if any production, and you save twelve million minimum over three years.

chiefzilla1501
08-26-2012, 10:04 PM

Powe probably won't ever have the speed and agility to be a pass rusher. He's going to be a space eater and a guy who clogs up gaps. What's interesting about the evolution of the nose-tackle is that pure 2-down nose tackles are becoming less and less important. When offenses move to the spread and throw a 4th receiver out there, your nose tackle has to have the ability to adjust to the offense. So guys like Casey Hampton are going to become less of the norm. Guys like Vince Wilfork are going to be highly coveted.

Which is why even though Poe has tremendous risk, he's a hell of a better prospect than a guy like Cody. Cody is going to be a 2-down guy. If Poe is what they want him to be, he's a guy you don't have to take off the field regardless of down and distance.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Powe probably won't ever have the speed and agility to be a pass rusher. He's going to be a space eater and a guy who clogs up gaps. What's interesting about the evolution of the nose-tackle is that pure 2-down nose tackles are becoming less and less important. When offenses move to the spread and throw a 4th receiver out there, your nose tackle has to have the ability to adjust to the offense. So guys like Casey Hampton are going to become less of the norm. Guys like Vince Wilfork are going to be highly coveted.

Which is why even though Poe has tremendous risk, he's a hell of a better prospect than a guy like Cody. Cody is going to be a 2-down guy. If Poe is what they want him to be, he's a guy you don't have to take off the field regardless of down and distance.

Good post. It's definately why he went at #11.

chiefzilla1501
08-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Good post. It's definately why he went at #11.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/10/life-on-the-nose-todays-market-for-nfl-nose-tackles/
This is a really terrific read on the state of the nose tackle, and it again points to why the Chiefs went after Poe. It should also hopefully end arguments about why the Chiefs didn't go after different nose tackles, and why it's worth the risk to go after a high-risk guy like Poe. These guys are going to be very hard to find, but if you find them, boy they can be unbelievably useful.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Smith is just an example of a generic player. Substitute any JAG, and you don't lose much, if any production, and you save twelve million minimum over three years.

It that's not Pioli's M.O., so unless TyJack is badly injured this year, I expect o see him on a "reasonable" contract in 2013 and beyond.

Saul Good
08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
It that's not Pioli's M.O., so unless TyJack is badly injured this year, I expect o see him on a "reasonable" contract in 2013 and beyond.

So do I, but do you agree with him? If I needed a DE, and TJax was available at $8,000,000 this year plus $10,000,000 total over the next two seasons following this season, and the alternative was a JAG for $2,000,000 per year, I wouldn't even consider Jackson.

Therefore, I cut him. It's a basic sunk-cost analysis. The only reason to keep him is because he's already here, and that's a bad reason...and I'm not a TJax hater.

boogblaster
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
i like powe .....

chiefzilla1501
08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
So do I, but do you agree with him? If I needed a DE, and TJax was available at $8,000,000 this year plus $10,000,000 total over the next two seasons following this season, and the alternative was a JAG for $2,000,000 per year, I wouldn't even consider Jackson.

Therefore, I cut him. It's a basic sunk-cost analysis. The only reason to keep him is because he's already here, and that's a bad reason...and I'm not a TJax hater.

Jackson's new contract won't be outrageous. He plays such a specialized role, I can't imagine he'd command a ton of dollars. I like Jackson. Bite the bullet for another year or two, then sign him for something reasonable when you re-sign him in 2014. I'd much rather keep Jackson than Dorsey.

Saul Good
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Jackson's new contract won't be outrageous. He plays such a specialized role, I can't imagine he'd command a ton of dollars. I like Jackson. Bite the bullet for another year or two, then sign him for something reasonable when you re-sign him in 2014. I'd much rather keep Jackson than Dorsey.

He's making eight million THIS YEAR.

chiefzilla1501
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM
He's making eight million THIS YEAR.

I know. I'm saying, you basically have him on a 2-year contract. When you give him a new contract in 2014, he's not going to cost very much. The Chiefs purposely restructured his deal so that it would expire in 2 years vs. 3. I think that indicates a desire to get him re-signed and get his contract off the books more quickly.

He's getting paid an obscene amount of money. But if we're considering long-term, we're paying a shitload of money today (while we still have a ton of cap space), but it won't cost us all that much tomorrow.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't really care about the money. Vets are going to be making more money from here on out per the new CBA. Teams are going to be required to spend money. There is a spending cap minimum and it goes from 90% to like 95%+ over the next three or four years. There will be no more cheap teams. We are likely to tag Bowe again next year because of this.

HemiEd
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM

:spock: