08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
MSNBC Reporting

RIP

mlyonsd
08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow. That sucks. RIP.

Donger
08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
****. Buzz is going to be pissed. Neil was first again.

Inmem58
08-25-2012, 01:06 PM
He lived many moons.

Buehler445
Goddamn it. RIP.

mikey23545
Ah fuck.

You know, I just did not need to hear this.

Ever.

DaFace
Damn. He obviously lived a very full life, but it's sad to see one of the biggest names in recent history pass on. RIP Neil

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-25-2012, 01:10 PM
RIP

Inmem58
08-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Ah ****.

You know, I just did not need to hear this.

Ever.

Dramatic much? It'll be okay

Psyko Tek
08-25-2012, 01:11 PM
guess he took the last giant leap

RIP Niel

mikey23545
08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I just can't believe how this is hitting me.

Fuck!

Certainly a childhood hero, but you would think at my age I would be beyond feeling so emotional about this...

Fuck me...

mikey23545
08-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Eat shit and follow him, buttfuck.

Inmem58
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Eat shit and follow him, butt****.

Jesus loves you brother.

Chocolate Hog
08-25-2012, 01:27 PM

How so? The guy did something so remarkable it'll never be matched again.

Mikey is lucky his generation got to look up to someone so amazing while younger people get Snooki.

siberian khatru
08-25-2012, 01:28 PM

****!

Certainly a childhood hero, but you would think at my age I would be beyond feeling so emotional about this...

**** me...

Me too. One of my first childhood memories was of him on the moon (I was 3).

Inmem58
08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
How so? The guy did something so remarkable it'll never be matched again.

Mikey is lucky his generation got to look up to someone so amazing while younger people get Snooki.

Ya you gotta point there.

Munson
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
RIP

KCFalcon59
08-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Fuck!

Fuck me...

He definitely captured my youth. I spent many days staring at the stars, dreaming of being an astronaut. He was a inspiration to many. R.I.P.

whoman69
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
The Eagle has landed.

Frankie
08-25-2012, 01:42 PM
One giant leap to heaven. RIP, hero.

gblowfish
08-25-2012, 01:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BxroiTRg7Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
The Eagle has landed.

Tell your children when
Time won't drive us down to dust again.

pimpchief
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
This is horrible. I just did a report for school the other day on why I think the moon landing was not a hoax.

Shaid
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
They should bury him on the moon.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Damn...

chefsos
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Neil Armstrong was (and will remain) an American icon, pure and simple. Not that others weren't capable of what he did, but he was first. There can only be one first. Maybe someday he'll be an Earth icon.

notorious
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
You are the man, Neil.

RIP

patteeu
08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
What an awesome memory it must have been to be the first man to have ever walked on the moon.

Trivial connection... I bought my first computer, a Commodore 64, secondhand from his son.

Frazod
08-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Bummer. RIP

Donger
08-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Armstrong sure was a cool character, not only with the Moon landing (took manual control and landed it with 30 seconds of fuel remaining), but also on Earth. Here's Neil ejecting out of the LLTV. If he had waited another .5 seconds, he would have died:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Qhcs6qiHLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

La literatura
08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Thank you, Neil, for inspiring so many.

http://i.imgur.com/8MsR1.jpg

Big Smoke
08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
A true American hero. :usa:

RIP

Psyko Tek
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM

fuck yeah!!
wait until aldrin goes and crash their ashes into the moon, fitting tribute

Rain Man
08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
What an awesome memory it must have been to be the first man to have ever walked on the moon.

Trivial connection... I bought my first computer, a Commodore 64, secondhand from his son.

Wow, how did you know his son? That's a great story, kind of.

Rain Man
08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
He truly ascended from a man to an icon with that accomplishment. I sometimes wonder if the fact that he never talked about it increased it or decreased it.

DaFace
08-25-2012, 04:04 PM
A few decades later, this quote that was never used finally seems appropriate:

He will be mourned by his families and friends; he will be mourned by his nation; he will be mourned by the people of the world; he will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send one of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in his death, he binds more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man’s search will not be denied. But he was the first, and he will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

Source: Nixon's planned speech if Apollo 11 didn't make it. Edited slightly.

WilliamTheIrish
08-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Catch you on the flip side, Good sir.

I was almost 8 years old when Walter Cronkite described the landing, himself so overcome with emotion, he had to wipe tears from his eyes as the Apollo 11 lunar module descended to the surface of the moon.

My understanding of the event was limited, but watching neighbors, men and women overcome with tears, I knew I was watching a very special event unfold. I remember learning later in life, that of the many factors that led to NA being the first man on the moon, was the design of the Lunar Module. The hatch opened inward and on the left side. The pilot space was on the right side. But being the commander of the crew it was good and right that he was first out.

Brings back a lot of great yet difficult memories for me.

alpha_omega
08-25-2012, 04:48 PM
RIP

listopencil
08-25-2012, 05:16 PM

RIP

Bane
08-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Rip.

listopencil
08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Jesus. Just think about what gigantic fucking brass balls you have to have to make that trip at that time. He's a hero.

DaFace
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Jesus. Just think about what gigantic fucking brass balls you have to have to make that trip at that time. He's a hero.

I'm too young to have lived through that moment, but it's amazing to think of how much more intense (and eventually exciting) that whole mission must've been compared to anything since. We thought the NASA geeks were ecstatic about landing Curiosity successfully - it's insane to think of how much crazier the whole thing must've been when it was the lives of human beings in the balance.

mlyonsd
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
The guy had to have ice running through his veins.

Shaid
08-25-2012, 05:28 PM
**** yeah!!
wait until aldrin goes and crash their ashes into the moon, fitting tribute

Exactly, that would be truly badass.

-King-
08-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Neil, for inspiring so many.

http://i.imgur.com/8MsR1.jpg

Andrew Luck must be his illegitimate son.

Rain Man
08-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm too young to have lived through that moment, but it's amazing to think of how much more intense (and eventually exciting) that whole mission must've been compared to anything since. We thought the NASA geeks were ecstatic about landing Curiosity successfully - it's insane to think of how much crazier the whole thing must've been when it was the lives of human beings in the balance.

And doing it with the 1960s technology would have added to the adventure as well. With this, rock and roll, Vietnam, civil rights, the various assassinations, the height of the Cold War, and everything else, this may be the most dynamic decade in American history.

bevischief
08-25-2012, 05:58 PM
RIP.

patteeu
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, how did you know his son? That's a great story, kind of.

I didn't really know him. A friend of mine from high school worked with him and told me he was trying to sell his computer. At the time, I think he was involved with the dolphin show at Worlds of Fun.

Rain Man
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I didn't really know him. A friend of mine from high school worked with him and told me he was trying to sell his computer. At the time, I think he was involved with the dolphin show at Worlds of Fun.

I KNEW THAT DOLPHINS WERE SOMEHOW INVOLVED WITH THE MOON LANDINGS! IT'S YET ANOTHER HIDDEN MEANING OF THE DOUGLAS ADAMS HOLY BOOKS!

unlurking
08-25-2012, 07:35 PM
:deevee:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Frankie
08-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Or on the back lot of where ever they staged the moon landing.

Frankie
08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Ten Things You Didn't Know About the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

1. The Apollo’s Saturn rockets were packed with enough fuel to throw 100-pound shrapnel three miles, and NASA couldn’t rule out the possibility that they might explode on takeoff. NASA seated its VIP spectators three and a half miles from the launchpad.

2. The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone.

3. Drinking water was a fuel-cell by-product, but Apollo 11’s hydrogen-gas filters didn’t work, making every drink bubbly. Urinating and defecating in zero gravity, meanwhile, had not been figured out; the latter was so troublesome that at least one astronaut spent his entire mission on an anti-diarrhea drug to avoid it.

4. When Apollo 11’s lunar lander, the Eagle, separated from the orbiter, the cabin wasn’t fully depressurized, resulting in a burst of gas equivalent to popping a champagne cork. It threw the module’s landing four miles off-target.

5. Pilot Neil Armstrong nearly ran out of fuel landing the Eagle, and many at mission control worried he might crash. Apollo engineer Milton Silveira, however, was relieved: His tests had shown that there was a small chance the exhaust could shoot back into the rocket as it landed and ignite the remaining propellant.

6. The "one small step for man" wasn’t actually that small. Armstrong set the ship down so gently that its shock absorbers didn’t compress. He had to hop 3.5 feet from the Eagle’s ladder to the surface.

7. When Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface, he had to make sure not to lock the Eagle's door because there was no outer handle.

8. The toughest moonwalk task? Planting the flag. NASA’s studies suggested that the lunar soil was soft, but Armstrong and Aldrin found the surface to be a thin wisp of dust over hard rock. They managed to drive the flagpole a few inches into the ground and film it for broadcast, and then took care not to accidentally knock it over.

9. The flag was made by Sears, but NASA refused to acknowledge this because they didn’t want "another Tang."

10. The inner bladder of the space suits—the airtight liner that keeps the astronaut’s body under Earth-like pressure—and the ship’s computer’s ROM chips were handmade by teams of “little old ladies.”

(Craig Nelson uncovered these facts in various NASA archives while researching his new book, Rocket Men.)

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-06/40-years-later-ten-things-you-didnt-know-about-apollo-ii-moon-landing

Rain Man
08-25-2012, 08:00 PM
[B][SIZE="3"]

7. When Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface, he had to make sure not to lock the Eagle's door because there was no outer handle.

That would have been really embarrassing.

mikey23545
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Me too. One of my first childhood memories was of him on the moon (I was 3).

He definitely captured my youth. I spent many days staring at the stars, dreaming of being an astronaut. He was a inspiration to many. R.I.P.

I still remember me and my brother and my parents huddled around the television as the Eagle descended to the surface of the moon. As it neared the surface it was dead silent in our house.

Growing up 60 miles from the Cape, I had long been entranced by the space program. Now, what once seemed an impossible dream was only seconds away from becoming reality.

I too remember watching Cronkite describe the last few moments of the descent. I remember the crude special effects illustrating what was happening (a shaky model of the LEM running along a wire, or something like that). It wasn't until I heard Armstrong's voice saying "Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed" that I knew for sure one of mankind's oldest, greatest dreams had been realized.

I had been staring so intently at the events on the screen it was like coming out of a trance when they were finally down on the surface. I felt like I was parched, and when I went to get up and get myself a glass of water, my knees were actually shaky.

I guess witnessing an event that forever changes man's relationship to the universe will do that to a fellow.

RIP, Neil.

mikey23545
08-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Ten Things You Didn't Know About the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

That would have been really embarrassing.

It probably would have been really hard to find a wire clothes hanger on the moon.

Frankie
08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
:facepalm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/575sAV09JEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaFace
08-26-2012, 05:46 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/575sAV09JEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure why you'd even post this.

Inmem58
08-26-2012, 06:46 PM

ROFL

........dick

Dick Bull
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM

That is idiotic.

boogblaster
08-26-2012, 09:56 PM
RIP Rocketman .....

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Mr. Bible Moon guy was an utter embarrassment. There are really some loonies walking around in our society.

Frazod
08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Mr. Bible Moon guy was an utter embarrassment. There are really some loonies walking around in our society.

I wouldn't even watch it. But I do hope somebody beat the shit out him afterward.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't even watch it. But I do hope somebody beat the shit out him afterward.

We can only hope so. No human being has the right to annoy Neil Armstrong. Not even the normal human beings. A nutjob like this should have been forced to eat that alien-authored Bible page by page.

Frankie
08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure why you'd even post this.

I'm not sure why you'd question this post. :shrug:

Frankie
08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Mr. Bible Moon guy was an utter embarrassment.

Armstrong should have mooned him.

Now that would be a video that would go super viral.

DaFace
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM

You don't see anything wrong with posting in a thread mourning the loss of an American hero with a video calling that person a liar? There's a time and a place for moonbats, and it's not in a thread about a person's death.

mikey23545
08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
We can only hope so. No human being has the right to annoy Neil Armstrong. Not even the normal human beings. A nutjob like this should have been forced to eat that alien-authored Bible page by page.

To say that made my blood boil is an understatement. I wish I had been there with an American flag so I could do a reenactment for Mr. Armstrong of him planting a flag on the moon...well, except I would have planted it up that insano's asshole.

mikey23545
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM

You are an insensitive fucktard.

NJChiefsFan
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." Herman Melville

The idea of people sitting around watching the landing during the 60's era tech and TV creates goosebumps.

Planetman
08-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I still think this is cool: Armstrong's family statement paid the tribute "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink." This prompted many responses, including the Twitter hashtag "#WinkAtTheMoon".

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I seriously wonder if there's anything better to put on your resume than "first man to walk on the moon".

Maybe "Wrote Declaration of Independence" is up there, and "Discovered the new world" if you're not Native American. Perhaps "led the liberation of Europe in World War II" is pretty high. But are they above "first man to walk on the moon"?

big nasty kcnut
08-27-2012, 03:06 AM
RIP I'm shocked he didn't have a wallet with bad ass mother fucker on it because he is. The moon bible dude i hope he die in fire while getting hit with a aids tree and drink antifreeze.

mikey23545
08-27-2012, 04:07 AM
I seriously wonder if there's anything better to put on your resume than "first man to walk on the moon".

Maybe "Wrote Declaration of Independence" is up there, and "Discovered the new world" if you're not Native American. Perhaps "led the liberation of Europe in World War II" is pretty high. But are they above "first man to walk on the moon"?

It is also one thing to have accomplished such a major historic feat that changes the world, but in the past it would take months for the word of it to spread around the globe, and even then the majority of the world's populace would still not know of it.

But to do something that hundreds of millions of people (if not billions) were watching live in every corner of the globe, to have instantly written a new page in all history books as the entire world watched....Just amazing.

savchief
08-27-2012, 07:56 AM
My dad took this during the first landing. both astronauts are in this pic. One is easy to see but the other is just beneath the bright reflection on the left side of the lander. The dust specks are from the scan of the original slide not on the super high-tech round cornered B&W TV.

It was fun being 7 years old at that time. 6 months later the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

mikey23545
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
My dad took this during the first landing. both astronauts are in this pic. One is easy to see but the other is just beneath the bright reflection on the left side of the lander. The dust specks are from the scan of the original slide not on the super high-tech round cornered B&W TV.

It was fun being 7 years old at that time. 6 months later the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

Very cool, savchief!

PGM
08-27-2012, 08:04 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NeZH7es3bUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

redhed
08-27-2012, 08:53 AM
His footprints up there will outlive us all.
RIP

gblowfish
08-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Apollo Mission Tidbit: The creator of Tang, William A. Mitchell, also invented Pop Rocks, Cool Whip, a form of instant-set Jell-O, and other convenience foods.

Dave Lane
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." Herman Melville

The idea of people sitting around watching the landing during the 60's era tech and TV creates goosebumps.

Should have gone to the IMAX theater at Union Station for the Mars Curiosity landing. Wasn't the same amount of tension but it was awesome in its own way.

Frankie
08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
You don't see anything wrong with posting in a thread mourning the loss of an American hero with a video calling that person a liar? There's a time and a place for moonbats, and it's not in a thread about a person's death.

I was facepalming. Did you notice? I was showing up the assholes stupidity against a hero. Unbelievable that you find that objectionable.

You are an insensitive ****tard.

See? Now I expect this from mikey, but I consider you intelligent, DaFace.

:D

It was unreal. I'm lucky enough to have watched it live.

gblowfish
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
NBC News reported "Neil Young, the first man on the moon, has died!"
Wow!

http://tinyurl.com/9c79uv7

Frankie
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow!

OMG....:eek:....WOW!

stonedstooge
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
RIP Neil. Your final mission, a voyage to the Darkside of the Moon

Donger
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I was facepalming. Did you notice? I was showing up the assholes stupidity against a hero. Unbelievable that you find that objectionable.

I imagine that what he finds objectionable is that you brought up the nutjob moon landing fakers at all in a thread of memorial. Twice.

Deberg_1990
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
You guys realize we never actually went to the Moon right? That was all a Hollywood soundstage.

Frankie
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
You guys realize we never actually went to the Moon right? That was all a Hollywood soundstage.

Wrong. Roswell.

tooge
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow!

Damn, I loved Harvest Moon.

Reerun_KC
08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
It really is sad seeing the golden age america heros starting to pass away. Not many of them left.

patteeu
08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
RIP Neil. Your final mission, a voyage to the Harvest Darkside of the Moon

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/7a/13/4b95228348a059e66bbae010.L._AA300_.jpg