PDA

View Full Version : Football Colts give up 2nd round pick for Vontae Davis

Pestilence
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Colts acquired CB Vontae Davis from the Dolphins in exchange for a second-round draft pick.

Colts acquired CB Vontae Davis from the Dolphins in exchange for a second-round draft pick.
It's a risky but high-upside move for an Indy defense desperately in need of press-man corners. Davis fits the bill at a physical 6-foot, 203 pounds with athleticism and speed for days. The Dolphins let him go because Davis failed to impress the new coaching staff by reporting to camp out of shape and floundering behind Richard Marshall on the depth chart. Davis is signed very cheaply for the next two seasons and just turned 24. The Colts will easily come out on top of this trade if Chuck Pagano gets Davis' career back on the right track.

O.city
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Should the Chiefs have made this deal?

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 12:24 PM

A 2nd for that guy? No thanks.

Inmem58
08-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Nope

Pestilence
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Hell no. Vontae Davis is overrated.

DJ's left nut
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM

We'd have probably had to give up more than the Colts #2 (probably a little more valuable).

But depending on Davis' contract situation, my immediate thought is that yes, we'd should've strongly considered making this deal. Davis is pretty good corner that's gone through most of the development period of his career and can be counted on as a strong #2 corner.

Setsuna
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
We'd have probably had to give up more than the Colts #2 (probably a little more valuable).

But depending on Davis' contract situation, my immediate thought is that yes, we'd should've strongly considered making this deal. Davis is pretty good corner that's gone through most of the development period of his career and can be counted on as a strong #2 corner.

Blasphemy! /CP

DJ's left nut
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Really, folks don't like Davis?

I think he's essentially a slightly better version of Brandon Carr. If we could've drafted a guaranteed Carr in the 2nd round, we'd have done it in a heartbeat.

I think people are underrating Davis quite a bit here. He's not Revis, but he's a very solid CB and with our alternative being Jalil Brown (who is a dumpster fire out there), I don't see how you don't strongly consider pulling the trigger on this one.

SNR
08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Been out of shape this offseason. He's a good player, but he's not the RIGHT player /Pioli

Sorter
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

I think he's essentially a slightly better version of Brandon Carr. If we could've drafted a guaranteed Carr in the 2nd round, we'd have done it in a heartbeat.

I think people are underrating Davis quite a bit here. He's not Revis, but he's a very solid CB and with our alternative being Jalil Brown (who is a dumpster fire out there), I don't see how you don't strongly consider pulling the trigger on this one.

This. Vontae is definitely just as good if not better than what you're going to get out of the 2nd round IMO.

O.city
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
What was Carr like as a rookie, for the life of me I can't remember.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM
why would you not want to bring in one of Bowe's FRIENDS on a cheap contract for two seasons if it means swaying Bowe to play/stay? Surely it would have helped

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Not worth a 2nd round pick.

Poor tackler, showed up to practice drunk, good but not great at CB.

Travis Daniels has proven that he's a good CB the Chiefs need to quit playing him at safety and play him at CB. Trading a 2nd round pick would be a waste when you have someone who's serviceable like Daniels.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 12:50 PM
yea we gotta save those 2nd round picks to trade for other teams back up QBs or drafting midgets

and stuff

Sorter
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Not worth a 2nd round pick.

showed up to practice drunk

Now ya'all tellin me that ya'll never showed up to practice drunk and i'll call you a liar sir. /kentucky

Marcellus
why would you not want to bring in one of Bowe's FRIENDS on a cheap contract for two seasons if it means swaying Bowe to play/stay? Surely it would have helped

Yes, they should decide how to use draft picks and acquire players based on the players friendship with Bowe.

Sorter
yea we gotta save those 2nd round picks to trade for other teams back up QBs or drafting midgets

and stuff

ROFLROFLROFL

Sorter
Yes, they should decide how to use draft picks and acquire players based on the players friendship with Bowe.

Coby Fleener supports this thread.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 12:53 PM

better than their current strategy of how they use 2nd round picks

it works for the NBA we could have created the NFL's first buddy power team Bowe and Davis would be like Kobe and Dwight!

philfree
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM

it works for the NBA we could have created the NFL's first buddy power team Bowe and Davis would be like Kobe and Dwight!

So Hudson and Allen are bad 2nd round picks? It's a little early to tell but those two look like they might turn out pretty good.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
So Hudson and Allen are bad 2nd round picks? It's a little early to tell but those two look like they might turn out pretty good.

Cassel and the Midgets?

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 01:01 PM
It should also be pointed out Vontae Davis was benched a few weeks ago.

Marcellus
08-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Cassel and the Midgets?

Cassel and Vrable for a 2nd at the time? It was widely regarded as a steal throughout he NFL.

DMC? Looked like a bad pick, then a decent pick then a bad pick, hell I don't know any more. This season we determine for sure.

Arenas? Questionable but still not sure.

T-post Tom
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
If B-Flow & the other starters are 100% for the season opener, then the Chiefs are in good shape. It's pretty obvious that the backups are not ready for prime time. A #2 seems high for a backup player. Ray Farmer does a good job of finding FA players and there will be A LOT of FA players in the next couple of weeks. I hope the FO isn't standing pat on the current roster and that Farmer has Pioli's ear.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Cassel and Vrable for a 2nd at the time? It was widely regarded as a steal throughout he NFL.

DMC? Looked like a bad pick, then a decent pick then a bad pick, hell I don't know any more. This season we determine for sure.

Arenas? Questionable but still not sure.

Arenas was a bad pick.

philfree
08-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Cassel and the Midgets?

I like McCluster and Arenas:shrug: They certainly weren't on my draft radar but that doesn't matter. Are they all world? No but they are filling their roles better then some want to admit.

Marcellus
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I like McCluster and Arenas:shrug: They certainly weren't on my draft radar but that doesn't matter. Are they all world? No but they are filling their roles better then some want to admit.

If you aren't HOF caliber in the 2nd round you are a bust. I swear this place puts more value on 2nd rounders than they do 1st.

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Not for a 2nd rounder.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 01:11 PM

no i understand that, but the argument in terms of this thread was no one would trade a 2nd rounder for a young outside cover CB, but yet are fine with a 3rd string slot gimmick midget WR and a 3rd string nickel CB/special teamer in terms of using a 2nd round pick on?

Why wouldnt you take a flyer on a outside CB with a 2nd rounder?

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Arenas was a bad pick.

top 5 returner and a highly rated nickel corner (in todays NFL) was a bad pick as a late second rounder?

Probably not.

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
no i understand that, but the argument in terms of this thread was no one would trade a 2nd rounder for a young outside cover CB, but yet are fine with a 3rd string slot gimmick midget WR and a 3rd string nickel CB/special teamer in terms of using a 2nd round pick on?

You don't even understand what "3rd string" means, do you?

Don't answer, its obvious that you don't.

philfree
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
If you aren't HOF caliber in the 2nd round you are a bust. I swear this place puts more value on 2nd rounders than they do 1st.

Seems that way.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 01:14 PM
top 5 returner and a highly rated nickel corner (in todays NFL) was a bad pick as a late second rounder?

Probably not.

Oh please. He's returned 1 punt for a touchdown and he's not a very good nickel corner at all. He can't even play the outside.

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
haha

he showed up to a NFL practice drunk?

Can I get a link to that?

Just Passin' By
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM

You're a moron

philfree
08-26-2012, 01:16 PM

I didn't say I wouldn't but I didn't say I would either. The Chiefs didn't and said they even had a chance to do so.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 01:16 PM
haha

he showed up to a NFL practice drunk?

Can I get a link to that?

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/vontae_davis_showed_up_to_dolp.php

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Oh please. He's returned 1 punt for a touchdown and he's not a very good nickel corner at all. He can't even play the outside.

Devin Hester
kick return average 21.9

Javier Arenas
kick return average 21.3

Joshua Cribbs
punt return average 11.4

Javier Arenas
punt return average 12.8

-King-
08-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Except for the fact that Kobe and Dwight aren't buddies...

BossChief
08-26-2012, 01:24 PM
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/11/vontae_davis_showed_up_to_dolp.php

Must have been "working out" with Eric Warfield.

Marcellus
08-26-2012, 01:28 PM

As usual you don't know what the hell you are talking about on his punt return skills and he is a pretty damn good slot cover DB.

A Salt Weapon
08-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree Arenas doesn't appear to be a good returner, but his stats are good. Not sure how as it appears we always end up with terrible field position. Without his numbers it would probably be much worse.

Lol at the showing up to practice drunk. Must think he's still in high school.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
As usual you don't know what the hell you are talking about on his punt return skills and he is a pretty damn good slot cover DB.

I'm not doubting his punt return skills but if you are drafting a guy in the 2nd round to return kicks he better be Devin Hester.

A pretty damn good slot cover CB? That's patently false. He might be a serviceable nickel at best.

Passing up a starting NT for a nickel was stupid.

DJ's left nut
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Probably not.

He's a mediocre returner in a game that's trying to get away from returns and he's a slightly above average nickel corner that can be picked on by large WRs.

Was it a 'bad' use of one? No - but it wasn't a good use of one. He's maxed as a talent and has no real chance to ever be a legitimate regular. To me, that's not a good use of a top 50 pick.

Saccopoo
08-26-2012, 01:43 PM

And he's freaking balls out on blitzes. Guy can knife through a line like crazy.

tk13
08-26-2012, 01:44 PM
According to ESPN the Colts gave up a conditional late round pick on top of the 2nd rounder.

xztop12
08-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I thought Davis was good. I could be wrong

DTLB58
08-26-2012, 02:39 PM

We need to start developing taller CB's. These stud WR's are just dominating the shorter CB's.

I read one story where Davis was 5'11" this one says 6'0"

Flowers is 5' 9" I would draft his replacement soon.

Jon Baldwin 6'4"
Larry Fitzgerald 6'3"
Calvin Johnson 6'5"

Mr. Laz
08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Colts got robbed

the Talking Can
08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
not sure i understand the urgency to give a high 2nd for a cb with some issues....

losing is still the best thing that can happen to the colts this year

Setsuna
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
not sure i understand the urgency to give a high 2nd for a cb with some issues....

losing is still the best thing that can happen to the colts this year

Except they have a very real chance to be 2nd place in the AFC South. They want to win now. Apparently you don't understand such a simple concept.

Marcellus
08-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Except they have a very real chance to be 2nd place in the AFC South. They want to win now. Apparently you don't understand such a simple concept.

Says a Jags fan LMAO.

Setsuna
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Says a Jags fan LMAO.

I'm a realist that's why. You need to post exclusively in that homer thread btw.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I think it's a good deal. The bust rate for 2nd rounders is higher than what you'd think.

DeezNutz
08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
No. Re-sign Carr, and we'll be fine.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2012, 06:13 PM
No. Re-sign Carr, and we'll be fine.

Clark is saving that money for Peyton Manning.

BryanBusby
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM

He was about to lose his starting role to a subpar Richard Marshall. He could be elite, but he's lazy and dumb.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 10:09 PM

That had been my perception as well.

I guess, though, that he is good if they got a 2nd for him even if he's lazy and out of shape.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Vontae Davis nets a 2nd rounder but Asante Samuel is like a 7th rounder?

I dont understand?

bigbucks24
08-26-2012, 11:42 PM
With Miami sitting on 2 2nds and 2 3rds, and an abysmal wide receiver crew, is there a REALISTIC trade for Bowe out there?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
With Miami sitting on 2 2nds and 2 3rds, and an abysmal wide receiver crew, is there a REALISTIC trade for Bowe out there?

:shake: Not this shit again