PDA

View Full Version : Football Seahawks name Russell Wilson their starting quarterback

Mr_Tomahawk
08-26-2012, 08:38 PM
You're welcome.

-The Kansas City Chiefs Defense.

Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/seahawks-name-russell-wilson-starting-quarterback/

AP
The Russell Wilson Era in Seattle is officially underway.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll announced Sunday night that Wilson will start against the Raiders in the preseason finale and will start again in Week One against the Cardinals. The news was hardly unexpected after Wilson got the start against Kansas City and played like the starting quarterback that the Seahawks have been looking for all summer, but it is still surprising since the third-round pick was seen as the third choice in the competition with Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson.

Flynn got $10 million in guaranteed money as a free agent this offseason and Jackson was the incumbent starter, but Wilson wound up with the job. On a conference call, Carroll said it was because he earned the job with his play and his ability to fix things on the fly.

“This is an extraordinary kid. He just kept knocking us out with what he brought,” Caroll said, via the team. “I’ve watched our team respond to him and they’ve taken to his leadership style.”

Jackson’s trade to the Bills still isn’t official, but Carroll said that the team expects it to go through. Flynn will remain as the No. 2, the same job he held behind Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
clay guaranteed this wouldnt happen.

Dr. Facebook Fever
Heh nice... so lets put together a package for Flynn.

Bowser
We took Donald Stephenson instead of Russell Wilson. Donald freaking Stephenson.

Can't have Pioli's boy Matty C. feeling the pressure of a quarterback with talent waiting in the wings, I guess?

milkman
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Stop acting like Wilson won this job solely on his play against the Chiefs.

He was making plays in the first two preseason games, and Carroll was just using that game as the final evaluation.

Hog Farmer
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Seattle lucked out and drafted a good one.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
We took Donald Stephenson instead of Russell Wilson. Donald freaking Stephenson.

Can't have Pioli's boy Matty C. feeling the pressure of a quarterback with talent waiting in the wings, I guess?

Don't need him. Already got a high priced Pro-Bowl QB. /Peeholey

Bewbies
We're gonna luck out by never drafting one.

Mr_Tomahawk
Stop acting like Wilson won this job solely on his play against the Chiefs.

He was making plays in the first two preseason games, and Carroll was just using that game as the final evaluation.

Again.

You are welcome.

lewdog
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Pretty expensive backup QB they have then.

milkman
08-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Again.

You are welcome.

You are one ueseless fucking tool.

You should do something productive, like a self vasetomy.

Wilson has talent.
He was making good decisions.

He was going to win that job, regardless of team because of those considerations.

Coogs
08-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Kudos to the Seahawks for having enough balls to ignore the money situation and play the best man.

WV
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Let's not annoint this kid yet either, remember people Casshole had a good year in NE too. Wilson is hardly a proven commodity yet.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Its always nice to see other teams around the league draft QBs and let them compete.

I mean literally compete. And win the job.

Fuck our GM.

Fuck our owner.

Ben N 58men
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Its always nice to see other teams around the league draft QBs and let them compete.

I mean literally compete. And win the job.

**** our GM.

**** our owner.

@NFL_RealUpdates: So now we have 5 rookies starting QBs on the opening day of the #NFL season.

I'm embarrassed.

milkman
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Let's not annoint this kid yet either, remember people Casshole had a good year in NE too. Wilson is hardly a proven commodity yet.

I spent the whole offseason, along with others, praying that the Chiefs would not trade for Cassel, because the idea that he was good in New England is a myth.

He was the same guy there that he is now.

He's like the passenger in a stagecoach.

He needs the horses and the driver to do the work and carry the load.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Kudos to the Seahawks for having enough balls to ignore the money situation and play the best man.

This.

I hope Pioli is paying attention.

DaWolf
08-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure their GM used to work in our front office at one point during the Carl days...

Ben N 58men
08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
This.

I hope Pioli is paying attention.

You missed it.

@NFL_RealUpdates: So now we have 5 rookies starting QBs on the opening day of the #NFL season.

milkman
08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
How many QBs drafted in the last 3 years will be starters on opening day?

WV
08-26-2012, 09:03 PM
I spent the whole offseason, along with others, praying that the Chiefs would not trade for Cassel, because the idea that he was good in New England is a myth.

I totally agree that his numbers were misleading, just trying to point out to the Chicken Little's of the board that Wilson is hardly the answer to anything yet.

Munson
08-26-2012, 09:03 PM
You missed it.

We've got a 30 year old starting QB who still plays like a rookie. :banghead:

Mr_Tomahawk
08-26-2012, 09:07 PM
He was going to win that job, regardless of team because of those considerations.

"Final Evaluation"

What where they evaluating? ...how the away jerseys looked on him?

If it was truly a "final evaluation" as YOU claimed...could the Chiefs have made the evaluation process a bit more difficult?

I think it we played better and forced Wilson into some poor decisions and forced a couple of turnovers that he wouldn't be named the starter...yet.

It's a lot easier to come out to your fan base and name the guy who went 13/19 185 yards and 2 TDs as the starter compared to if he went 8/21 77 yards and 2 ints...

Chiefs had NOTHING to do with this decision.

Dumbass.

siberian khatru
08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
You mean the Seahawks aren't coddling their Matt?

KevB
08-26-2012, 09:10 PM
How many QBs drafted in the last 3 years will be starters on opening day?

I count 12

Ben N 58men
08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
We've got a 30 year old starting QB who still plays like a rookie. :banghead:

That's a compliment. See Luck and RG3. Possibly Foles too.

lewdog
08-26-2012, 09:14 PM

This exactly.

They aren't giving the job to some dude that they paid, they are giving it to someone they think gives them the best chance to win. They didn't stand idle with the signing of Flynn, they still addressed their QB needs with the draft as well.

But here we are with 3 visible season of Matt Cassel and even with convincing evidence that he isn't the answer, the front office has sat idle. Props to the Seahawks for at least addressing a known need (the biggest need in the NFL), even if Wilson is not the long term answer.

milkman
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
"Final Evaluation"

What where they evaluating? ...how the away jerseys looked on him?

If it was truly a "final evaluation" as YOU claimed...could the Chiefs have made the evaluation process a bit more difficult?

I think it we played better and forced Wilson into some poor decisions and forced a couple of turnovers that he wouldn't be named the starter...yet.

It's a lot easier to come out to your fan base and name the guy who went 13/19 185 yards and 2 TDs as the starter compared to if he went 8/21 77 yards and 2 ints...

Chiefs had NOTHING to do with this decision.

Dumbass.

You dont get it.

He was making good decisions all through the preseason.

He has been looking to push the ball downfield whenever he drops back, but has been taking what the defense has been giving him, or pulling the ball down and making plays with his legs.

And when there have been no other options, he has simply thrown the ball away.

The numbers didn't win him the job.

The way he has played the position won him the job.

If the Chiefs had made it more difficult for him, and he had finished 8 of 21 for 77 yards, but he was making good decisions, he still won have won the job, because he was looking to push the ball downfield, and Matt Flynn has not.

Fuck the fans.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
...meanwhile, Scott is in his in his office :whackit: to http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3033732_o.gif

Joe Seahawk
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Pete's competition credo would lose all credibility if he made any other decision. I'm honestly a little nervous about starting Wilson, the safe bet would be to start Flynn and switch to Wilson if he falters. Flynn has actually looked OK too.

Coach Pete Carroll made the only choice he could realistically make after watching Russell Wilson dominate the Seattle Seahawks' quarterback competition.

He named Wilson the team's starter over Matt Flynn, not just for the final preseason game Thursday night, but for the regular-season opener at Arizona on Sept. 9. And he did so without any of the reservations that traditionally go along with starting a rookie.

"This is an extraordinary kid," Carroll said during a conference call Sunday night. "He just kept knocking us out with what he brought."

The decision came as the Seahawks were working to trade 2011 starter Tarvaris Jackson to Buffalo for a late-round pick. It also means free-agent addition Flynn will open the season as the Seahawks' No. 2 quarterback despite signing a three-year deal worth $19.5 million.

"The more competitive situation we put him in, the better he was," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said of Russell Wilson, right."Matt is disappointed," Carroll said. "Matt came here to be the starter. He took [the news] exactly the way a great competitor would. He still wants it. ... I’m disappointed for him, too, because I know how much he wants this."

Carroll made it clear from the beginning that there would be an open competition. Though reasonable in the beginning, assumptions that Flynn would start turned out to be as wrong as the assumptions typically made about players such as Wilson. A year ago, not even the unconventional Carroll could have envisioned going into an NFL season with a rookie starting quarterback standing 5-foot-10 and 5/8 inches.

This wasn't about Flynn in the end. It was all about Wilson emerging as a dynamic force in minicamps, training camp and the preseason. He won over the coaches right away with his hunger to learn and ability to handle more than what they threw his way. Wilson outperformed reasonable expectations at every step, most recently when he led Seattle's starting offense to six scores on its first six possessions against Kansas City.

Flynn, meanwhile, sat out the game with elbow soreness. While Carroll said Flynn's injury situation made the decision on Wilson clearer, the decision he announced Sunday night has seemed increasingly inevitable. Wilson has completed 67.3 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and one interception in the preseason. He has averaged 8.9 yards per attempt in addition to gaining 150 yards rushing.

"The more competitive situation we put him in, the better he was," Carroll said. "He just has a real knack for playing the game of football."

The Seahawks felt on draft day that Wilson possessed everything a top quarterback needed except for prototypical height. If any shorter quarterback could succeed, they thought, Wilson would be the one. They saw him excel behind a massive offensive line at Wisconsin. But when minicamps and training camp got going, Carroll said the staff was constantly looking for signs Wilson's height would be a limiting factor. They gave up eventually.

"So we just decided look at him as a quarterback and that's not even an issue," Carroll said. "The factor in his favor is, he is so elusive. He has rushed for 150 yards in preseason in limited time and always at the right time and effectively. It might not always be that way, but he has shown a great sense."

According to Carroll, Wilson had only four passes batted down at Wisconsin last season, all while operating behind that big line.

"We thought he was unique, his footwork and sense of spatial awareness and how he could handle that," Carroll said. "He has a great sense, he flows with the rush and finds passing lanes with an uncanny [knack]."

Whatever decision Carroll made was going to be a defining one for him. Naming Flynn the starter a few weeks ago would have been the safe move. It arguably would have been the smart move. But it wouldn't have fit with the competition mantra that has permeated Carroll's program at every level. Besides, Flynn was unproven as an alternative. Wilson won the job by a wide margin. There was no reason to pretend otherwise.

Deberg_1990
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Hmmm.....interesting. Flynn made a ton of money based on that 1 game at the end of the season.....but realistically, neither QB is exactly proven.

NJChiefsFan
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I totally agree that his numbers were misleading, just trying to point out to the Chicken Little's of the board that Wilson is hardly the answer to anything yet.

Its more the process then it is Wilson himself. Have a real competition, let the best guy actually win.

Joe Seahawk
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Between Wilson and Flynn our overall QB cost is less than most..

Hmmm.....interesting. Flynn made a ton of money based on that 1 game at the end of the season.....but realistically, neither QB is exactly proven.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Wow. Five rookie starting QBs opening day? Seriously? Pioli really fucked up. Dude really does have a huge ego. It's so big that he's willing to go down because of it.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow. Five rookie starting QBs opening day? Seriously? Pioli really fucked up. Dude really does have a huge ego. It's so big that he's willing to go down because of it.

Yep.

He's completely out of touch with the rest of the league.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Yep.

He's completely out of touch with the rest of the league.

Which is comical considering that QB named Tom he was around while with the Patriots.

It's like he wants to do it his way, his QB, his ball, his home. If it doesn't work out, he's taking his ball and going home.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Donald Stephenson had better be a darn good left tackle.

I think I'm going to go kill myself now.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Will some kind soul please tell me where Wilson played in college? Just curious.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Will some kind soul please tell me where Wilson played in college? Just curious.

He played in many different cities, but his team was:

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBoCpec0w-AMz9DoU_K5DAeX5S_xbOXjREYk1Ex2XEfX4XOVFN

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
career day defense strikes in... preseason? lol

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Donald Stephenson had better be a darn good left tackle.

I think I'm going to go kill myself now.

It's ok. If Pioli knows anything, he knows QBs. I'm sure Cassel will get better. lol

You know, Pioli has put together quite the group of young talent. But his legacy here in KC will live or die with HIS QB because everyone expects if anyone would know about QBs it would be Pioli because of him having Brady in NE. But shockingly that's not the case. It's really surprising actually. It may be more that he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake really but that's hurting the team and his legacy. But ego prevails over all.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Started at NC State then transferred to Wisconsin this past year.

Joe Seahawk
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
<iframe src="http://kiroradio.com/embed.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Ficestream.bonnint.net%2Fseattle%2Fkiro%2F2012%2F08%2Fc_johnclaytonshow08 2512_9945568.mp3&name=ESPN.com%5C%27s+Mike+Sando%3A+%5C%27Russell+Wilson+is+winning+this+competition%5C%27&show=John+Clayton+Show" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:486px; height:160px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Guru
08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
God this is depressing.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 10:27 PM
If he were 6'3'", Miami would have selected him instead.

The only knock on him is his height.

In this league, its a big knock. Some can work with it, though.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you Rain Man and Chiefs Pantelones.

Fuck 'em Bucky.

Bump
08-26-2012, 10:31 PM
We are gonna regret not drafting this kid. Fuck our lives.

Bowser
08-26-2012, 10:31 PM
On one hand, Russell Wilson led ALL QB's in the NFL in effeciency this preseason.

On the other, Turk McBride led the NFL in sacks in the preseason a few years ago.

All things being equal, I'd rather have Wilson on my team than Donald Stephenson, even if they would make a concerted effort (and they would) to bury him on the depth chart behind Cassel. You can't keep talent down forever.

Frankie
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM

But their GM at least shows balls. He brings in an expensive QB but has no qualms about not handing him the job and protecting him from competition. Mr. Pioli should learn this, and grow a pair when it comes to bringing actual competition for Matty boy.

Rain Man
08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't want to be an "I told you so", but see post 31 on April 13th in this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8539148&highlight=wilson#post8539148

I'm already on the Wilson bandwagon. I think he's a perfect pick. Lots of potential upside if you strike, and you can get him later in the draft so there's very little cost. I'd take him before someone else does in the 4th or so, maybe even the third. Love this pick on a risk/reward basis, and I think Pioli thinks like that.

The only thing I was wrong about was the very last part.

lewdog
08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
This exactly.

They aren't giving the job to some dude that they paid, they are giving it to someone they think gives them the best chance to win. They didn't stand idle with the signing of Flynn, they still addressed their QB needs with the draft as well.

But here we are with 3 visible season of Matt Cassel and even with convincing evidence that he isn't the answer, the front office has sat idle. Props to the Seahawks for at least addressing a known need (the biggest need in the NFL), even if Wilson is not the long term answer.

But their GM at least shows balls. He brings in an expensive QB but has no qualms about not handing him the job and protecting him from competition. Mr. Pioli should learn this, and grow a pair when it comes to bringing actual competition for Matty boy.

Please see above. I made this exact point in post #27.

mcaj22
08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Pioli has a hard on for midget RBs, midget WRs and midget CBs but not midget QBs?

come on Scott!

NWTF
08-26-2012, 10:47 PM

This^^^^^^

Guru
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
always the bridesmaid. heh

Direckshun
08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm waiting for Clay to post in this thread.

I know what he's going to say. I've got the perfect comeback for it.

milkman
08-26-2012, 11:01 PM

How much time do you have to wait?

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2012, 11:13 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZyNArA9B0sAiZ27e9PrMJTZS2PQemGSyk0z-IcOAARjYh9FHYFA

NJChiefsFan
08-26-2012, 11:15 PM

I predict that he will admit you have a good point and that he is wrong. Or perhaps he creates an argument that you didn't make and when you give up he claims victory.

ZootedGranny
08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Just by pure inaction and negligence, the Chiefs may fall into a quarterback. As it stands now, most teams are starting either a young quarterback or a decent veteran. I'm sure they'll find some way to avoid drafting one though.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Wow. Five rookie starting QBs opening day? Seriously? Pioli really ****ed up. Dude really does have a huge ego. It's so big that he's willing to go down because of it.

if he wants to cling to Cassel then the sooner the better.

threebag02
08-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Please see above. I made this exact point in post #27.

Lew looks like you're ready for the mid-air club.

Ace Gunner
08-27-2012, 08:13 AM
If he were 6'3'", Miami would have selected him instead.

The only knock on him is his height.

In this league, its a big knock. Some can work with it, though.

This is why you all should curb optimism until you've seen him play a season.

I agree with you guys on Pioli -- he is set in his ways and all that, but I don't think that is his fault per se, but you are right Pioli has made a few choices on personnel that are looking catastrophically bad.

I doubt the CHunts will fire him after the season though because they don't know what they are doing with an NFL team.

lcarus
08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Seattle lucked out and drafted a good one.

Seems like taking a chance on a young guy while u have SHIT at qb might be worth it sometimes. Thats something our team never learns

Fat Elvis
08-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I don't want to be an "I told you so", but see post 31 on April 13th in this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8539148&highlight=wilson#post8539148

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8537000&postcount=27

Unfortunately, the only thing I was wrong about four posts earlier in that same thread (post 27) was the very last part as well....

The guy is going to be a steal for whoever picks him up. I hope it is us.

(I did have him going in R4 later in the thread....so that was wrong--just a different post)

ChiTown
08-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Great news.:banghead:

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Seems like taking a chance on a young guy while u have SHIT at qb might be worth it sometimes. Thats something our team never learns

If we did that there might be a good chance we wouldn't be able to go 9-7 and sneak into a first round playoff loss.

Rain Man
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Just by pure inaction and negligence, the Chiefs may fall into a quarterback. As it stands now, most teams are starting either a young quarterback or a decent veteran. I'm sure they'll find some way to avoid drafting one though.

Good point. If the other 31 teams all end up with a franchise quarterback, future franchise quarterbacks will drop in the draft and we'll get a steal. That Pioli is a wily one.

Rausch
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
I predict that he will admit you have a good point and that he is wrong.

ROFL

ChiefButthurt
08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Figures. I wonder how many opposing teams have been named a starter after they played our sorry asses? ****. I wish you ****ers were less entertaining around here so I could join some other bulletin board. I need an intervention or some shit like that.

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, Clay didn't post in this thread. Pussy.

I would have bet money the response would have been something like "we went with Donald Stephenson instead of taking a shot on a potential awesome QB like Wilson."

What did Wilson do that was so awesome?

He picked on Jalil Brown all game.

Which is what Jon Baldwin has done all training camp, which Clay asserted was nothing to be proud of.

I understand that when you troll, you have to embrace double standards. But this one deserved to be isolated and exposed.

Detoxing
08-27-2012, 10:45 AM

I would have bet money the response would have been something like "we went with Donald Stephenson instead of taking a shot on a potential awesome QB like Wilson."

Which is what Jon Baldwin has done all training camp, which Clay asserted was nothing to be proud of.

I understand that when you troll, you have to embrace double standards. But this one deserved to be isolated and exposed.

Clay's on a nice little 2 week vacation for his foolish dex hate.

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Clay's on a nice little 2 week vacation for his foolish dex hate.

Ah.

I miss all the fun.

saphojunkie
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM

First of all, Clay can't post until the regular season starts, due to a bet he lost when McCluster scored a TD in the preseason.

Second of all, are you saying that Russel Wilson has done nothing this preseason to warrant a starting job, except picking on Jalil Brown? You're not, right? You usually seem to have a really strong grasp on these things.

Have you not been watching Wilson? He literally makes plays every single series he is on the field. The guy has every bit as much talent as Luck or RG3. If he were 6'3, he would have challenged for the 2nd QB taken off the board. And there would have been at least one team that liked him more than Luck, as there was with Griffin.

If I had been in the Chiefs' war room, I would have been the scout screaming my head off to take Wilson. For some reason, my brother became obsessed last year with Wisconsin, and forced me to watch every game. I never - not once - came away unimpressed.

In my humble opinion, Russel Wilson is a star. He's not going to be "serviceable." He's not going to be "legit" or "dependable" or a "starting caliber QB in this league."

He's going to be an effing star.

He has, in no particular order:

1. Fantastic accuracy
2. A strong, strong arm
3. Incredible pocket awareness
4. Decision making a vet would be proud of
5. A mind for the game
6. Supreme quickness
7. Speed in the open field
8. Patience
9. Charisma
10. Natural leadership
11. Maturity
12. A great injury history
13. A steel determination
14. Opportunity

What he doesn't have are a 72nd, 73rd, and 74th inch of height. He did, however, have the tallest offensive line in football last year. His height is going to mean something, sure, but it won't mean much.

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
First of all, Clay can't post until the regular season starts, due to a bet he lost when McCluster scored a TD in the preseason.

Second of all, are you saying that Russel Wilson has done nothing this preseason to warrant a starting job, except picking on Jalil Brown? You're not, right? You usually seem to have a really strong grasp on these things.

Have you not been watching Wilson? He literally makes plays every single series he is on the field. The guy has every bit as much talent as Luck or RG3. If he were 6'3, he would have challenged for the 2nd QB taken off the board. And there would have been at least one team that liked him more than Luck, as there was with Griffin.

If I had been in the Chiefs' war room, I would have been the scout screaming my head off to take Wilson. For some reason, my brother became obsessed last year with Wisconsin, and forced me to watch every game. I never - not once - came away unimpressed.

In my humble opinion, Russel Wilson is a star. He's not going to be "serviceable." He's not going to be "legit" or "dependable" or a "starting caliber QB in this league."

He's going to be an effing star.

He has, in no particular order:

1. Fantastic accuracy
2. A strong, strong arm
3. Incredible pocket awareness
4. Decision making a vet would be proud of
5. A mind for the game
6. Supreme quickness
7. Speed in the open field
8. Patience
9. Charisma
10. Natural leadership
11. Maturity
12. A great injury history
13. A steel determination
14. Opportunity

What he doesn't have are a 72nd, 73rd, and 74th inch of height. He did, however, have the tallest offensive line in football last year. His height is going to mean something, sure, but it won't mean much.

If you followed me during draft season (and really, why shouldn't you?), I was cheering for Wilson in the midrounds. I thought the 3rd round was too high for him.

He didn't do much in the Chiefs game for me to believe he was really that superior of a QB than Flynn. He picked on Jalil Brown nonstop, was aided by bullshit penalties, and was on pace for something like 100 yards of scrambling.

If I'm a defensive coordinator, I'm not terrified of that.

But I can understand how he is an exciting player. He is a steady hand at the wheel. He's smart and collected, with a good arm and great improvisation and yes, great athleticism.

But I was more impressed by Brandon Weeden's one preseason success than I will be by Wilson's game against the Chiefs.

Old Dog
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I doubt the CHunts will fire him after the season though because they don't know what they are doing with an NFL team.

I disagree with the second portion of that. They know exactly what they're doing....making money hand over fist. The sad thing is that's all that seems to matter.

saphojunkie
08-27-2012, 12:10 PM
If you followed me during draft season (and really, why shouldn't you?), I was cheering for Wilson in the midrounds. I thought the 3rd round was too high for him.

He didn't do much in the Chiefs game for me to believe he was really that superior of a QB than Flynn. He picked on Jalil Brown nonstop, was aided by bullshit penalties, and was on pace for something like 100 yards of scrambling.

If I'm a defensive coordinator, I'm not terrified of that.

But I can understand how he is an exciting player. He is a steady hand at the wheel. He's smart and collected, with a good arm and great improvisation and yes, great athleticism.

But I was more impressed by Brandon Weeden's one preseason success than I will be by Wilson's game against the Chiefs.

Yeah, that's fair enough. The thing that I noticed the most about him in the Chiefs game was that, when pressured, his instinct wasn't to check down. He bought time with his legs, and found guys open downfield. That, to me, would definitely be scary as a DC.

My point is, he has the talent for an extremely high ceiling, and he has the intelligence and mechanics for a very high floor. Any QB with that combination is worth a high draft pick. C'est la vie.

I'm looking forward to a delightful offseason of Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Thomas, et al. discussions with you.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree with you guys on Pioli -- he is set in his ways and all that, but I don't think that is his fault per se, but you are right Pioli has made a few choices on personnel that are looking catastrophically bad.

If it's not his fault, whose fault is it?

BigMeatballDave
08-27-2012, 12:48 PM
If it's not his fault, whose fault is it?

Clark

Deberg_1990
08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Pioli certainly deserves criticism, but in fairness ill point out again: He wanted Manning in KC. Manning didnt want to be in KC.

Orton (who has a better arm than Cassel, but overall isnt any better than Cassel) didnt want to be in KC either.

Pioli isnt as stupid about Cassel as alot of you guys want to believe.

Rain Man
08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Pioli certainly deserves criticism, but in fairness ill point out again: He wanted Manning in KC. Manning didnt want to be in KC.

Orton (who has a better arm than Cassel, but overall isnt any better than Cassel) didnt want to be in KC either.

Yeah, this is true.

He took a risk with Cassel and it hasn't paid off. The odds are that it won't. But hey, he tried.

I really think the key is to keep trying and keep pulling the slot machine and keep adding competition. Sooner or later you'll find a gem.

htismaqe
08-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Don't you think there's at least a small chance that neither of those guys wanted to come to KC BECAUSE of Pioli?

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah, that's fair enough. The thing that I noticed the most about him in the Chiefs game was that, when pressured, his instinct wasn't to check down. He bought time with his legs, and found guys open downfield. That, to me, would definitely be scary as a DC.

My point is, he has the talent for an extremely high ceiling, and he has the intelligence and mechanics for a very high floor. Any QB with that combination is worth a high draft pick. C'est la vie.

I'm looking forward to a delightful offseason of Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Thomas, et al. discussions with you.

Only for Pioli to ignore both of us and draft a five tech.

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't you think there's at least a small chance that neither of those guys wanted to come to KC BECAUSE of Pioli?

Brilliant.

Wait, wtf?

the Talking Can
08-27-2012, 01:43 PM

he absolutely is that stupid about Cassel

Year 4....quinn and stanzi

that's not even good enough to call a joke...it's a crime

the QB position on this team is a fucking disaster...meanwhile we've spent 3 top eleven picks on the DL...

Deberg_1990
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
he absolutely is that stupid about Cassel

Year 4....quinn and stanzi

that's not even good enough to call a joke...it's a crime

the QB position on this team is a ****ing disaster...meanwhile we've spent 3 top eleven picks on the DL...

Understand your anger, but ill take a wait and see approach until the real games start. I dont like to jump to conclusions on any pre seasons games.

the Talking Can
08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Understand your anger, but ill take a wait and see approach until the real games start. I dont like to jump to conclusions on any pre seasons games.

we already know what Cassel is

he isn't a rookie...he's a piece of shit by every objective measure

saphojunkie
08-27-2012, 02:07 PM

:banghead:

Sorter
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM

http://oi41.tinypic.com/1424wtk.jpg

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM

He won't be the starter long, he is too short

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Heh nice... so lets put together a package for Flynn.

Not a chance, the stands will be full in KC and as long as they are full they are going to finish Matts contract out.

Brock
08-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Not a chance, the stands will be full in KC and as long as they are full they are going to finish Matts contract out.

The stands haven't been full in KC.

Sucky
08-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Good for him but I doubt they win more than 7 games this season

Sorter
08-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, they'll sweep AZ and the Rams. Probably won't be too hard for that team to get 4 more wins.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 02:32 PM

tell me about it.
there went our Franchise QB to Seattle.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
The stands haven't been full in KC.

Clark couldn't give me season tickets for free as long as MC is the starting QB.

-King-
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
tell me about it.
there went our Franchise QB to Seattle.

ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

i'll be here all week, stick around. ROFL

-King-
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
5'10 5th round quarterback plays 5 quarters in preseason (3 against 2nd string) and suddenly he's a franchise QB.

LMAO

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
5'10 5th round quarterback plays 5 quarters in preseason (3 against 2nd string) and suddenly he's a franchise QB.

LMAO

and he leads the preseason over Luck and RG3 as well.
you wont be laughing by the end of this season. :D

Sorter
08-27-2012, 03:01 PM

LMAO

5'10 and 5/8!!!

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
What's the over/under on how many games before he goes out with an injury?

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
What's the over/under on how many games before he goes out with an injury?

he's too smart to get injured.

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
he's too smart to get injured.

Good point. He's studied the Mike Vick method.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Good point. He's studied the Mike Vick method.

yeah.
but Vick isnt very smart.

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:12 PM
yeah.
Vick isnt very smart.

What do you figure Wilson will do to keep the LBs, DBs and DL from crushing his little frame when he runs? Hold them off with brain waves?

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
What do you figure Wilson will do to keep the LBs, DBs and DL from crushing his little frame when he runs? Hold them off with brain waves?

just watch Seattle games this season and live and learn.

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
just watch Seattle games this season and live and learn.

There isn't enough beer in the world...

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
There isn't enough beer in the world...

yet you can watch Cassel?

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
yet you can watch Cassel?

I'm sorry, have we met?

Rain Man
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Actually, I suspect that vailpass actually enjoys watching Cassel.

vailpass
08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Actually, I suspect that vailpass actually enjoys watching Cassel.

I like him in the red and gold no doubt. The fact McDaniel ran off Cutler and B-marsh because he wanted MC guarantees that if I ever see McD face-to-face I'll take a swing at him, or at least spit on the ground in front of him.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry, have we met?

nope, dont think so.
Being a Denver fan, it's not a wonder why you can tolerate Cassel.
my bad.

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 03:55 PM
I think Cassel is great, Long Live Pioli

Rain Man
08-27-2012, 03:56 PM
See? Lots of people like watching Cassel.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Cassel is great, Long Live Pioli

if i were a Raiders fan i'd like him as KC's starter too.

vailpass
nope, dont think so.
Being a Denver fan, it's not a wonder why you can tolerate Cassel.
my bad.

Glad to "meet" you.

BoneKrusher

:clap:

vailpass

:D

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Glad to "meet" you.

Next

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
if i were a Raiders fan i'd like him as KC's starter too.

I am tickled pink that Pioli is Cheap...

MahiMike
08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I just wish they had waited 1 more day to announce this. I ALMOST drafted him last night. Now, there will be a rush for this guy.

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Wait til this Shrimp sees a Sea of Hands every week

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM

i bet you are. :clap:

Frankie
08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Wait til this Shrimp sees a Sea of Hands every week

Right. Like Drew Brees does.

3rd&48ers
08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Right. Like Drew Brees does.

Oh he is Drew Brees now ROFL

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Wilson will be OROTY.
here's why, he plays in the easiest division of all the Rookie QB's that landed starting jobs.

Nightfyre
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM

I don't hate to say I told you so. I lobbied pretty goddamned hard for the guy against pure ignorance. That said, it's entirely too early to declare a clear victory. Sure, he's looking good - in preseason. I think he will handle the NFL by being a more mobile Brees. And I think Brees is easily the most accurate QB in the NFL.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
and..
he has a great Defense behind him.

DBOSHO
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
He certainly looks good but guys, its preseason.

Blaine gabbert is lighting it up. Hes finally made it too.

L.A. Chieffan
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
We didnt take him because we didnt need him.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't hate to say I told you so. I lobbied pretty goddamned hard for the guy against pure ignorance. That said, it's entirely too early to declare a clear victory. Sure, he's looking good - in preseason. I think he will handle the NFL by being a more mobile Brees. And I think Brees is easily the most accurate QB in the NFL.

good observation Man.
rep.

L.A. Chieffan
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Honestly Id still rather have Foles instead

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:18 PM
He certainly looks good but guys, its preseason.

Blaine gabbert is lighting it up. Hes finally made it too.

i know.
but that's like saying the Chiefs suck because it's preseason and then week one rolls around and they still suck.

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:28 PM
According to CP starting Wilson should be a complete waste of time as he is not a 1st round pick.

You guys need to try to keep your stories straight.

milkman
08-27-2012, 06:33 PM
According to CP starting Wilson should be a complete waste of time as he is not a 1st round pick.

Your best chance to find a franchise QB is to select one in the first round.

That is all anyone has ever said, and the fact that the Chiefs have not even drafted one in the first round since 1985 pisses people off.

There is no story to get straight here.

There are just people that twist words.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 06:37 PM

That is all anyone has ever said, and the fact that the Chiefs have not even drafted one in the first round since 1985 pisses people off.

I'm going to disagree here, people most definitely have said that it's a waste of a draft pick to pick a qb anywhere other than the first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Milk you know damn well there have been a 100 arguments with a pack of people saying we have to draft a QB in the 1st round, 1st round, 1st round to have any shot at a franchise QB and anything else is a waste of time.

I'm not twisting words, I am pointing out the the truth in the contradiction of that belief and many statements in this thread.

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm going to disagree here, people most definitely have said that it's a waste of a draft pick to pick a qb anywhere other than the first.
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
This.

Furthermore I agree it is disturbing Pioli passed on a guy like Wilson because I am not of the "must be a 1st round QB" mindset.

RunKC
08-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Lol at anyone who thinks Clark is firing Pioli. The Hunt's are loyal to "their guy".

Sometimes I really do think that Clark doesn't give a shit about this team. Just milking the city like his family has for half a century.

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Lol at anyone who thinks Clark is firing Pioli. The Hunt's are loyal to "their guy".

Sometimes I really do think that Clark doesn't give a shit about this team. Just milking the city like his family has for half a century.

So why fire Carl and Herm and hire one of the highest paid GMs in football?

I can agree Pioli has been a flop while still arguing Clark is trying to build a winner. I don't think Clark has his dads patience.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Sometimes I really do think that Clark doesn't give a shit about this team. Just milking the city like his family has for half a century. really? Go fuck yourself.

Lamar "milked" this city?
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Drafting a QB in round one is a great way to get a Franchise QB.
i was on the Suck For Luck wagon but i've never thought the only way to get a Franchise QB is drafting in round one.

three QB's that prove it:
Brees, Brady and Schaub are three good examples.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 06:55 PM
So fucking what
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Drafting a QB in round one is a great way to get a Franchise QB.
i was on the Suck For Luck wagon but i've never thought the only way to get a Franchise QB is drafting in round one.

three QB's that prove it:
Brees, Brady and Schaub are three good examples.

I didn't mean literally all of CP but I think you know the drill.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 06:56 PM

He doesn't know
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

yeah no prob, i just wanted to say there are other ways. other than round one.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
No there aren't
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
He doesn't know
Posted via Mobile Device

i nose more than you think.:D

JASONSAUTO
i nose more than you think.:D

In your dreams
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
Midgets ran wild
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
in this thread

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM
On bonekrusher's knee
Posted via Mobile Device

BoneKrusher
08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
he begged scott

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
To cut

Midgets
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC
08-27-2012, 07:11 PM
So why fire Carl and Herm and hire one of the highest paid GMs in football?

I can agree Pioli has been a flop while still arguing Clark is trying to build a winner. I don't think Clark has his dads patience.

Lamar stayed with Steadman after the dreadful 70's and 80's and I really do believe that if Lamar were still alive, King Carl would still be here.

Lamar was a great man, but he didn't realize something very important: this is a business and loyalty can't be the basis of the organization.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
but he couldn't

milkman
Lamar stayed with Steadman after the dreadful 70's and 80's and I really do believe that if Lamar were still alive, King Carl would still be here.

Lamar was a great man, but he didn't realize something very important: this is a business and loyalty can't be the basis of the organization.

This is a business, and Carl filled Lamar's pockets.

JASONSAUTO
but he couldn't

cut cassel because

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-27-2012, 07:14 PM
of the pictures

milkman
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
You dumbasses have a thread dedicated to this three word bullshit.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
of the pictures

of his grandma

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
who delivered milk

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
from her nipples

RunKC
08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
This is a business, and Carl filled Lamar's pockets.

Alas, the painful truth.

mlyonsd
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
You dumbasses have a thread dedicated to this three word bullshit.milkman is right

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
all the time

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-27-2012, 07:26 PM
which is why

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:32 PM
he says it

Setsuna
08-27-2012, 07:36 PM
the Chiefs wept

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
the Chiefs wept

on jag's graves

Setsuna
08-27-2012, 07:43 PM
on jag's graves

ROFL :clap: :evil:

lewdog
08-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Carson Palmer.

Frankie
08-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh he is Drew Brees now ROFL

That's not what I said. I pointed out the mere possibility. Whereas you seem sure that he will fail. Drew Brees wasn't Drew Brees in his first year either.

Frankie
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM

Admittedly I was not for drafting Wilson. I knew he was good, but I'm a bit prejudiced against midget QBs and their chances of making it in the NFL. I admit, I like to see a fairly imposing and reassuring figure driving our offensive team. One with talent of course. If Wilson had Cassel's body, I would have been pimping for him all over the CP.

LMAO :clap:

Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto.

Joe Seahawk
08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPaFwIvtwuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

royr17
08-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Admittedly I was not for drafting Wilson. I knew he was good, but I'm a bit prejudiced against midget QBs and their chances of making it in the NFL. I admit, I like to see a fairly imposing and reassuring figure driving our offensive team. One with talent of course. If Wilson had Cassel's body, I would have been pimping for him all over the CP.

LMAO :clap:

Ditto.

If Wilson had Cassels body he would've went in the 1st round, he only slipped to the 3rd because of his height.