PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Talk to me about QB's, Chiefs & Rich Gannon

Ace Gunner
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey folks, I've followed football since the sixties and became aware of the Chiefs that championship season. I remember they were about as bad as my hometown team, the NYG were during the seventies. I remember the Marv Levy years and noticed the team building during the eighties. Then, of course I began following them when MS took them over, having followed MS a bit when in CLe and "the drive" etc.

I lost interest in following the Chiefs closely after Montana left, because they had already transformed into what I considered a poor team. Shortly after, MS was fired yada yada, somewhere in those years Rich Gannon was one of the QB's on the team and did play. I might have seen a game back then, did not think a whole lot of Gannon at the time and I was aware of his past with other teams.

What I would like to know is, why was Gannon so mediocre in KC and then so good in Oak?

What made him so much better?

Or, was Gannon that good when he was a Chief, yet the team just let him walk?

Fill me in here, fellow Chief-ers. I have followed the team closely since 2007 and have done a fair amount of research on this team over the course of their last 2 decades, but I don't remember seeing Gannon play much as a Chief.

Who was OC back then and what kind of offense were they running when Gannon was at the helm?

Was it WCO based?

He played WCO under Gruden, I know that. Just wondering what made this guy light up?

Or, was he good before he went to the Raiders?

Was Gannon good when he played for the Chiefs?

Here is Gannon's page at PFR;

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GannRi00.htm

I don't really see any stat there that explains Gannon's jump while at Oak. His completion rate is primary for me and he went from 58% to 60% over three seasons with two teams and his w/l record went from 5 - 5(KC) to 12 - 4(Oak). How does this happen?

In the end, I'm hoping some of your answers will perhaps explain some things about the QB position, the game and the Chiefs -- both past and present.

Deberg_1990
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
You dont remember the 1997 season and you call yourself a Chiefs fan?

Dave Lane
08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
You do realize 58 to 60 percent completion ratio is about the difference of 10 passes dropped or caught a year?

Gannon was a noodle arm but accurate. He's basically Cassel with accuracy thrown in. And a head coach that played to his strengths.

notorious
08-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Deeply, deeply repressed memory.

I wish I could forget.

Ace Gunner
08-27-2012, 10:14 AM

very enlightening -- thank you:D

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
If you were a real fan you'd remember the Mackovic years.

Aaahhhh the Mackovic years....

Ace Gunner
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
You do realize 58 to 60 percent completion ratio is about the difference of 10 passes dropped or caught a year?

Gannon was a noodle arm but accurate. He's basically Cassel with accuracy thrown in. And a head coach that played to his strengths.

Okay, but saying "10 passes" is the diff between 5 - 5 and 12 - 4 is not real good reasoning. What made that happen?

Rausch
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Aw fuck, here we go...

:facepalm:

milkman
08-27-2012, 10:20 AM
People see "WCO", or "Perkins/Earnhardt" or "Air Coryell", and they think it's all the same offense.

It isn't.

The Chiefs offense was a WCO with GrBac/Gannon, but it was still a heavy play-action offense, and gannon wasn't a good play-action QB.

He did make some plays here and there, but he was a pretty mediocre QB in the Chiefs system.

Jon Gruden took advantage of Gannon's mobility and designed an offense that highligted his strentghs.

Moved him around, often cut the field in half, and created space so he could run if nothing opened up in the short passing game.

Big Smoke
08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Think about the weapons Gannon had as a Raider also. Tim Brown and Jerry Rice.

Bacillus Anthracis
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
From a Raider fan perspective, I couldn't believe you guys got rid of Gannon for Grbac. That home playoff loss to Denver should have sealed that deal. The Chiefs were the best team in the AFC that season but Marty Schottenheimer had one of his idiot epiphanies and decided to give Grbac the start. Unreal.

Gannon always torched us when he was with the Chiefs and I was glad when we signed him. He was the opposite of Jeff George: Smart, hardworking, and gutsy. He didn't have a canon-arm but he had everything else. All the guy needed was a shot at being the uncontested #1 quarterback. He didn't have that in Minnesota and he didn't have that in KC.

As for systems, he could function just fine regardless. When Norv came to Oakland the system was radically different, but Gannon ran it pretty well during the few games he played in it until he got injured and had to retire.

Rain Man
08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Gannon had been out of the league for at least a year when the Chiefs picked him up. His career resurgence is highly unusual, somewhat akin to Tommy Maddox's career being temporarily defibrillated with the Steelers, but with a higher level of success. The question in my mind was what the Vikings did wrong that completely derailed him, and how did the Chiefs come to discover it (and then ignore it because of Grbac).

BigMeatballDave
08-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I didn't realize chiefsfootballfan was so old.

Judging by his football acumen, I would have guessed he was 15...

DaWolf
08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Gannon was like a coach on the field, and he knew where to go with the ball. He was hardly physically gifted. But he knew how to use his weapons and operate an offense efficiently. He would actually be great for this Chiefs team. People would complain that he was a noodle arm, as Chiefs fans are known to do, but he's more of a field general on the field and hits didn't rattle him like the way they do Cassel.

We let him walk because Carl thought Grbac was the future. He was younger and more physically gifted. But Grbac did not have it upstairs. Gannon went to a perfect situation in Oakland, where he was an extension to Gruden on the field, and was surrounded by great talent in Brown, Rice, a great OL, and a tough running game...

R8RFAN
08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Gannon was like a coach on the field, and he knew where to go with the ball. He was hardly physically gifted. But he knew how to use his weapons and operate an offense efficiently. He would actually be great for this Chiefs team. People would complain that he was a noodle arm, as Chiefs fans are known to do, but he's more of a field general on the field and hits didn't rattle him like the way they do Cassel.

We let him walk because Carl thought Grbac was the future. He was younger and more physically gifted. But Grbac did not have it upstairs. Gannon went to a perfect situation in Oakland, where he was an extension to Gruden on the field, and was surrounded by great talent in Brown, Rice, a great OL, and a tough running game...

Great analysis

Extra Point
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
The question in my mind was what the Vikings did wrong that completely derailed him, and how did the Chiefs come to discover it (and then ignore it because of Grbac).
Brad Johnson. Funny enough, Johnson wound up in TB.

Predarat
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Gannon > grbac

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I always liked Gannon. The Gannon to Rison connection was sweet.

I have a lot of respect for Gannon. I don't think he got drafted. The Vikings tried to make him into a safety and he wouldn't have it. I gotta give him credit for sticking to his guns and defeating the odds. Eventually he got to play and had a nice career.

ChiefsCountry
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't think he got drafted.

He was a fourth round pick tard.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
He was a fourth round pick tard.

My bad. Well, that was earlier than I remembered.