PDA

View Full Version : Football Jets close to finalizing deal for Rams RT Jason Smith,

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Filed to ESPN: #Jets close to finalizing deal for Rams RT Jason Smith, league sources. RT Wayne Hunter part of deal. Smith, No. 2 pick '09.

milkman
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
The Jets are going to be the butt of jokes as long as Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan are running things.

Direckshun
08-27-2012, 06:14 PM
They turned Aaron Maybin into a not-terrible player.

So naturally they think they can make lightning strike at will.

BossChief
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
They are gonna trade for an expensive OT that got beat out by Barry Richardson?

What am I missing here?

Jayrodt
The Jets are going to be the butt of jokes as long as Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan are running things.

Mostly foot-related jokes.

L.A. Chieffan
Picks 2-8 in that draft. epic face palm

Rams Fan
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
They are gonna trade for an expensive OT that got beat out by Barry Richardson?

What am I missing here?

Took a pay cut this year.

BossChief
08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Took a pay cut this year.
I wouldn't trade a single lays potato chip for a tackle that lost his job to Barry Fucking Richardson

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't trade a single lays potato chip for a tackle that lost his job to Barry Fucking Richardson
You can't trade just one
Posted via Mobile Device

Setsuna
08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Smith held his own and they are trading him? Wow they are really retarded. They need to bring in Matt Moore.

PGM
08-27-2012, 07:43 PM
RIP Sanchez

Munson
08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
I can't believe the Rams are that confident in Barry Richardson.

They'll regret it by the end of the season.

DJ's left nut
08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd move on Jason Smith.

The guy absolutely has talent. If he could be had for a 5th, you do it in a second and I'd probably go to a 4th. He's still young and there's some ability there.

Worse comes to worse I don't see why you couldn't got the Gallery route with him and make him a serviceable guard.

Chiefaholic
08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
To think people here poke fun at some of the decisions made by Pioli. Things could be a hell of a lot worse

Urc Burry
08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I'd move on Jason Smith.

The guy absolutely has talent. If he could be had for a 5th, you do it in a second and I'd probably go to a 4th. He's still young and there's some ability there.

Worse comes to worse I don't see why you couldn't got the Gallery route with him and make him a serviceable guard.

Jesus Christ. Do you like pissing away draft picks? I wouldn't even sign the guy for 4 mil a year let alone give up a pick for him. He sucks, and got traded for Wayne Hunter who is almost Barry Richardson bad.

DJ's left nut
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
We'll see what happens.

The guy has more raw talent than anyone you're going to get in the 4th/5th round. Devon Wylie? Yeah, I'd trade Wylie for Smith.

Smith came out of a system in Baylor that was just odd for developing O-Linemen. He is, however, a mountain of a human being and obscenely athletic for his size. If anyone is patient enough to actually teach him a bit at the NFL level, you could end up with an excellent lineman for your troubles.

The kid's still only 26 and is young in football years due to injuries and abysmal coaching in STL. I don't see why he can't still be coached into a good player.

Dylan
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Jason Smith trade is humorous. #Jets are gonna need to get a GM who knows something about football. No chance he's actually seen Smith play.

Evan Silva‏@evansilva
Both Hunter & Smith's salaries are guaranteed. $4M for Smith. $2.45M for Hunter. So #Rams save $1.55M in trade. Deal makes sense for STL.

Exchanging a bust for a different bust.

KCtotheSB
08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
You've hit rock bottom if Barry Richardson is beating you out of a job.

Saccopoo
08-27-2012, 11:52 PM
You've hit rock bottom if Barry Richardson is beating you out of a job.

Jesus H. Christ.

Even a dickweed from Colorado Springs can figure it out.

KCtotheSB
08-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Jesus H. Christ.

Even a dickweed from Colorado Springs can figure it out.

?

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 05:32 AM
We'll see what happens.

The guy has more raw talent than anyone you're going to get in the 4th/5th round. Devon Wylie? Yeah, I'd trade Wylie for Smith.

Smith came out of a system in Baylor that was just odd for developing O-Linemen. He is, however, a mountain of a human being and obscenely athletic for his size. If anyone is patient enough to actually teach him a bit at the NFL level, you could end up with an excellent lineman for your troubles.

The kid's still only 26 and is young in football years due to injuries and abysmal coaching in STL. I don't see why he can't still be coached into a good player.

Seriously?

He got beat out by Barry...

RICHARDSON.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Seriously?

He got beat out by Barry...

RICHARDSON.

Yep.

What's crazy to me is what in the hell happened to Woody in NY? He was a good RT. It's like he just lost it.

Jason Smith has always sucked. The Jets are dumb if they do this.

FD
08-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Smart move by the Rams to unload $1.5 mil by trading crap for crap. Smith is due a $13 million bonus or something crazy like that at the beginning of next season.

Chief Faithful
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
We'll see what happens.

Not sure what a person can say that tells a more meaningful story than he got beat by Barry Richardson. There are not enough words to express the level of suckage required to get beat by Barry Richardson. Barry Richardson did not get better with his change of scenery in St. Louis, he still sucks the biggest of sucks of any starting RT. And Smith sucks worse. How can anyone that sucks worse than the lowest standard of sucks have any possible chance to be anything other than sucks even with the best coaching in the world? I can't fathom to think how bad Smith must suck for the Rams to be motivated enough to sign Richardson. We have already experienced the suck at RT in KC so there is no need to experience the suck that got beat by the biggest suck. Man,...this sucks.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Change of scenery can do a lot sometimes. Might be some background stuff going on with Smith that will be remedied in STL. Hard to knock a team for actively trying to get better.

PGM
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
He's awful dude. Words can't describe how bad you have to be for B-Rich to end you. Unless Tebow's magical circumcision cures him of his ills...

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
He's awful dude. Words can't describe how bad you have to be for B-Rich to end you. Unless Tebow's magical circumcision cures him of his ills...

Is he any worse than Vernon Carey?

PGM
08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
BRB....Gotta get my boots on to check his tires.

Chief Faithful
08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Change of scenery can do a lot sometimes. Might be some background stuff going on with Smith that will be remedied in STL. Hard to knock a team for actively trying to get better.

We saw two weeks ago that change of scenery did not help Richardson. I recommend the Broncos give Smith a try.

Chief Faithful
08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Is he any worse than Vernon Carey?

Carey > Richardson > Smith

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Carey > Richardson > Smith

LMAO

Just Passin' By
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Yep.

What's crazy to me is what in the hell happened to Woody in NY? He was a good RT. It's like he just lost it.

Jason Smith has always sucked. The Jets are dumb if they do this.

Woody retired, last year.

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Woody retired, last year.

That's gonna leave a mark.

DJ's left nut
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
"Argh! Smith Sucks!" "Smith got beat by Richardson!" "blah blah sucktastick blah!"

Yes, I am aware that he has been pretty bad in his time with the Rams. I don't think that's an open question, nor do I think its a useful one. The question to ask is 'why?'.

It's not his size, strength or athleticism. He a perfect size for a T and he's a rarity as an athlete at that size. There is no question as to whether or not he has the physical ability to be a premier lineman.

So it leaves his brain and his heart, in some capacity. Does he have the desire to excel? Does he have the aptitude to accept coaching? Can his confidence be salvaged? Etc...

Why can't a bunch of that be attributed to the fact that he played a strange stand-up style O-Line at Baylor and was coached by idiots in STL? There was a lot of talk that his technique was bad coming out of college and that he may have to move inside to improve his hands out of college. It was universally accepted that the kid was incredibly raw and needed to be worked with.

So what did the Rams do? Threw him right into the fire and proceeded to blow up the staff a couple times while doing very little to make things easier for him. They essentially put every possible impediment in front of his success apart from actively hiring people to shatter his knees. Of course he failed - he wasn't ready out of college or groomed at the NFL level.

If you take a guy that raw and throw him in the deep end, you're going to get bad results, you're going to ruin his confidence and you're likely going to get him hurt as he's thinking rather than reacting. I don't think he's too stupid to get it; I just don't think he's been in a situation to really just learn. On the job training works for a guy like Albert that at least has a foundation - but Smith came out of Baylor essentially as a TE playing tackle. He needed to be started at the very beginning and the Rams didn't do that.

Put Smith in a position where he's asked to be a backup that you're coaching up, work on basic fundamentals with him and try to rehab that confidence. I don't think he's too stupid to get it (afterall....it's football we're talking about here). I don't think he's a malcontent and the physical gifts are still there.

There's ability in that body that few people in the NFL have; why not have faith in your coaches and see if they can unlock it?