PDA

View Full Version : Life HUGE Facepalm

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/school-asks-deaf-preschooler-change-sign-language-name-191629255.html

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.
To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."
But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.
And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.
"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."
Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."
The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.
Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."
One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.
"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I always thought Jules Winnfield was an asshole.

Demonpenz
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Deaf and Dumb would have been an awesome title

Bump
08-28-2012, 09:59 PM
this country is fucking stupid

Buck
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Need more gun controll.

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
In American Sign Language, a face palm means, "Help me. An alien has attached itself to my face and is laying an egg in my chest."

-King-
08-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm speechless...

Munson
The pussification of America continues.

JASONSAUTO
i read this earlier, its an outrage

JASONSAUTO
08-28-2012, 10:11 PM
it would have been hard for me to restrain from choking a motherfucker

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I always thought Jules Winnfield was an asshole.

Say 'what' one more Goddamned time...

cdcox
08-28-2012, 10:15 PM
signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.

Sounds painful.

mdchiefsfan
08-28-2012, 10:17 PM

What ain't no country I ever heard of, do they use sign language in What?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM

That guy was a jerk. I'm glad he's gone.

milkman
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
His name is "Hunter", and he uses a symbol resembling a gun, so we should just cut his fingers off.

No mercy.

MagicHef
08-28-2012, 10:27 PM
What if your name sounded like a weapon? Would they make you change your name?

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:36 PM
In American Sign Language, a short throwing motion in a direction where nobody is standing translates to "Matt Cassel".

New World Order
08-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Cassel is starting, this poor kid, Our pet's heads are falling off... smh

Big Smoke
08-28-2012, 11:18 PM
this country is ****ing stupid

We'll put a boot in yer ass! It's the Americaun way.

ClevelandBronco
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I have some pretty strong feelings about this, but I'm going to wait to share them in the repost thread that Frankie will post tomorrow.

Coach
08-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Nice job Grand Island Public Schools. You just opened a big assed lawsuit heading towards your way for discrimination.

And that spokesperson should get his ass kicked. "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."

Uh no, I think you meant that you jokers are doing what's the best solution for the school, regardless of the child. What's even mind boggling to me is that the boy is only 3 and a half years old, and he's deaf. Yet those jokers with all their Ph.D's, MBA,s and whatever else shitty degrees they have, doesn't understand that?

And I fail to see the sign that represents an actual weapon.

Phobia
08-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Obviously, we should give all the administrators raises and cut staff due to budget problems.

Coach
08-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Obviously, we should give all the administrators raises and cut staff due to budget problems.

*detects sarcasm*

You know, I'd like to see how efficient a school can be that is run by common sense people instead of administrators. Just for comparison sake.

Phobia
08-29-2012, 12:39 AM
If we increase student load to 25 kids per classroom we could all buy a house at the lake. All in favor?

crazycoffey
08-29-2012, 02:18 AM
So, we now know the Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators smoke dope.

acesn8s
08-29-2012, 04:21 AM
Gawd damned Nebraskans :shake:

loochy
08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
this country is fucking stupid

This

bevischief
08-29-2012, 06:35 AM
All of this is stupid.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-29-2012, 06:40 AM
The school systems reached full retard status quite some time ago, but wow just wow.

penguinz
08-29-2012, 06:44 AM
If we increase student load to 25 kids per classroom we could all buy a house at the lake. All in favor?25 is a small classroom.

kepp
08-29-2012, 06:48 AM
They should change his name to "Gunner" and learn the sign for that.

Rausch
08-29-2012, 06:49 AM
It's all a joke until you stop and think that these idiots spend more time with your kids than you do...

notorious
08-29-2012, 06:49 AM
It's all a joke until you stop and think that these idiots spend more time with your kids than you do...

Bingo.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
His parents should change it to this and show it off to the school administrators

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
What is the sign for a single middle finger raised?

Dammit deberg!!

Inspector
08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I know this seems outrageous but what happens the first time he's signing his name and his fingers discharge hurting someone?

Yeah! How ya gonna feel about it then, huh?

Gotta think about the consequences here people.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
It wasn't the sign, it was the lyrics to the song "Fingerbang" with them that caused the outrage...

loochy
08-29-2012, 07:34 AM

We are trying SOO hard to save up to send our kids (well, future kids, if we have any) to a good private school. I don't have time for dumbassery like this.

Coach
08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
What is the sign for a single middle finger raised?

Dammit deberg!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/avatar3542_9.jpg

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/school-asks-deaf-preschooler-change-sign-language-name-191629255.html

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.
To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."
But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.
And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.
"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."
Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."
The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.
Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."
One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.
"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.

I had no idea Nebraska is run by a bunch of idiot Dems /Idiot Rep

Rausch
08-29-2012, 10:29 AM
We are trying SOO hard to save up to send our kids (well, future kids, if we have any) to a good private school. I don't have time for dumbassery like this.

It'll be the best money you ever spend.