PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Boston Herald: Chiefs enduring their usual wretched preseason

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Chiefs enduring their usual wretched preseason

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Those who say the preseason doesn’t count for anything probably haven’t been following the Kansas City Chiefs.

For Chiefs fans, August augurs almost nothing but pain. At 1-2 going into Thursday’s final 2012 tuneup at Green Bay, Kansas City is a woebegone 7-28 in preseason games since 2004. In four of those supposedly meaningless preseasons, the Chiefs were 0-4.

Meaningless?

Their combined 6-26 exhibition record the past eight years has been followed by 53 wins and 75 losses in the regular season, one playoff appearance and no playoff wins. The Chiefs haven’t posted a winning preseason since 2003 when Dick Vermeil’s Chiefs won the Hall of Fame game to nudge past break-even at 3-2 — and then tore through the regular season 13-3.

In their last two August games, a 31-17 setback to St. Louis and a 44-14 embarrassment against Seattle, the performance has been especially grim. For that reason, coach Romeo Crennel may use his starters against Green Bay much more than first-teamers normally play in a game that usually belongs to long shots and backups.

"What I want to see is I want to see an efficient operation from all the units and particularly the starting unit," Crennel said. "So, if they go out there and they operate efficiently, then I might be inclined to say, ’Well, we’ve done something good,’ and if we don’t do anything good, I might say, ’We need to do something good,’ to build up that confidence level."

Playing the regulars in the final preseason game is taking a chance that somebody might get hurt. Confidence also is an issue for a team as young as the Chiefs. They don’t have a player older than 30, and the regular-season opener at home against Atlanta will only be 10 days away when the Chiefs’ late-night flight returns from Green Bay.

"When you have good things happen, that’s a positive all the way around," Crennel said. "I think that from a coaching standpoint, what you have to be careful about when you’re not playing well is that you don’t beat them up too much because now they lose all confidence. So you do have to point out the good things that they do. If you can do anything good and show that you can do some good things, then you try to build on that and then that confidence level that you’re talking about, then that can occur. But, if you never do anything good and you always get beat up, then you believe that."

As worrisome as any position, especially after the Seattle game, is quarterback. Matt Cassel was 19 for 34 for 168 yards and a TD against the Seahawks. But he was also sacked three times and threw a rookie-like interception off his back foot. Seahawks rookie Russell Wilson was clearly the best quarterback on the field that night.

Cassel denies any special need to have a good game against the Packers.

"I think there’s always a sense of urgency. It doesn’t matter how you play one game, there’s always a sense of urgency every game you go into," he said. "This week, obviously, we’re going in and we’re looking to have some production and go from there. But our ultimate goal is to get ready for Atlanta and Week One."

Tamba Hali, the Chiefs’ best pass-rusher, will sit out the Atlanta game as the result of a one-game league suspension. Crennel, in something of a surprise, said instead of giving Hali’s backups a chance for extended playing time on Thursday night, he would have Hali make the start.

"He’s a football player. He wants to play football, so we will let him play," Crennel said. "I think that we’ll keep on the same schedule that we’re going to have the starters on and not give him any more or any less because he is a starter, I don’t think you want to expose him any more than you want to expose your other starters. We’ll deal with his circumstance next week."

Cornerback Brandon Flowers has not practiced all month because of a foot injury. He may not be ready for the Falcons and his backup, Jalil Brown, has not looked good. Plus, Brown missed another practice on Tuesday with a groin injury. If he doesn’t improve, starting against the Falcons could be Jacques Reeves, who broke his leg in 2009 and sat out both 2010 and 2011.

Also out for the Green Bay game is first-team nose tackle Anthony Toribio, which gives first-round pick Dontari Poe his first start. Drafted out of Memphis as a project, the 346-pound Poe has looked raw and unschooled at a position that is vital to the 3-4 defense.

"My expectations have been, all along, that he learn our defense and our system and be an efficient player in our system," Crennel said. "If he can do that, then he’ll help us win. If he doesn’t do that, then it will be hard to win. In this defense, you have to be good down the middle, and the nose is right in the middle of the defense."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120829chiefs_enduring_their_usual_wretched_preseason/srvc=home&position=recent

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Welp.

pr_capone
08-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Fuck it.

/eagerly awaits the 2013 season when we have a change again

Coogs
08-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, if our varsity gets beat by the Packers JV team, things could get ugly again this season.

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Guess I'll wait and see.

L.A. Chieffan
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Sure let's just trot out our guys with big bullseyes on their backs.

Rasputin
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Well, if our varsity gets beat by the Packers JV team, things could get ugly again this season.

That's exactly what we did last year uhg. They still struggled against there JV with Cassel at QB in four quarters.

Coogs
08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
That's exactly what we did last year uhg. They still struggled against there JV with Cassel at QB in four quarters.I remember that. Hopefully it doesn't happen again tomorrow. Sends a bad message.

cabletech94
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
why is the boston herald writing about the chiefs.

the national media fuggin loves the chiefs!!!!!!

O.city
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Just play them a series and lets move on.

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 09:23 PM

That is what I would do. Of course, I'd be threatening them with a carpet knife before the game.

HemiEd
08-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Hush your mouth, I am driving 4 hours to Lambeau to see that game. :D

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Hush your mouth, I am driving 4 hours to Lambeau to see that game. :D

I want a full report on Tanney:D

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Soon we will be enduring our wretched regular season. Yay!

boogblaster
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM
boston burns

RealSNR
08-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Why the hell is Poe starting?

Jerrell Powe has far outplayed both him and (in my opinion) Toribio in the preseason games.

I don't get that move at all.

JD10367
08-29-2012, 10:35 PM
why is the boston herald writing about the chiefs.

the national media fuggin loves the chiefs!!!!!!

The Boston Herald has been a shitrag for decades. They're like the New York Post, if that rag was run cheaper and stupider. I don't even read what they write about the Patriots, never mind an out of town team. I'd line my cat's litterbox with it but even the cat wouldn't stoop that low.

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Jerrell Powe has far outplayed both him and (in my opinion) Toribio in the preseason games.

haven't you heard yet? Poe really wants to be a magician. When he plays football it's the only chance he gets to magically disappear. That's tough for a guy his size, yah know?

Sorter
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
haven't you heard yet? Poe really wants to be a magician. When he plays football it's the only chance he gets to magically disappear. That's tough for a guy his size, yah know?

Yah bro, you're totally right :rolleyes:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1163220/poe.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1163223/poetip.gif

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1163226/poe2.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1163238/poe5.gif

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM

:rolleyes:ROFL:rolleyes:

The Rams have the worst oline in the NFL! Look at the turd RB jump out of the way too, LMAO!

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Why the hell is Poe starting?1st round pick.

NJChiefsFan
08-30-2012, 01:02 AM
:rolleyes:ROFL:rolleyes:

The Rams have the worst oline in the NFL! Look at the turd RB jump out of the way too, LMAO!

So you are saying he has been a ghost in two of the gms, since one doesn't count. Is that even close to enough to go with this joke?

Fritz88
08-30-2012, 03:16 AM
7-28 and we've been shitty ever since.

Yup, it is just the preaseason, it is not indicative of anything and it is meaningless.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
08-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Poe just owned his man.
It should be noted that Pitoitua did too.

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Atlanta radio was killing the Chiefs this morning too. It pissed me off.

I am telling you guys that we are going to suprise some people this year. I love what Romeo is doing by hamstringing these guys in the last couple of games. Everyone was talking about how good we were going to be after we beat Arizona and now they are falling off the bandwagon. Romeo had to tone it down imo. When the season starts, our guys will be ready to rip someone's head off.

loochy
08-30-2012, 08:30 AM

I am telling you guys that we are going to suprise some people this year. I love what Romeo is doing by hamstringing these guys in the last couple of games. Everyone was talking about how good we were going to be after we beat Arizona and now they are falling off the bandwagon. Romeo had to tone it down imo. When the season starts, our guys will be ready to rip someone's head off.

I really hope that's the reason we suck

TEX
08-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Get ready to be disappointed in a big way. We don't have any quality depth behind Flowers, our DL is getting beat physically (toned down scheme is not at fault there), our OL is weak at both guard spots - especially LG, no decent QB and the one we have starting has been in the league for 7 years (4th with us) and we're still trying to find out if he can play at a starting QB level. Really??? I think that question has been answerd by anyone who trusts their own eyes or who doesn' have to justify trading a #2 draft pick and awarding a $63M contract to an unproven player.

Preseason does matter for this team. Often times a weakness exposed in preseason comes back to haunt the Chiefs all season. This year will be no different.

htismaqe
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM

So Romeo is doing something deliberately to make them abandon gap assignments and blow coverages?

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Preseason blunders = reg season doom.

this person is a moron.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Preseason blunders = reg season doom.

this person is a moron.

No kidding. We could predict our regular season doom without the aid of preseason play.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM

agreed

also Hali is apparently going to play again

why in the hell is Hali playing so much when he is OUT for the 1st game?

Shouldn't his replacement be getting time out there so they are ready to play against Atlanta.

Dumbass Crennal just trying to show support for Hali instead of trying to win the dam game.

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

The truth is that Powe has only played a couple of snaps with the #1s. He has made plays in the small amount of snaps and I really like the guy but, he has never really gotten the shot that Poe has. Toribio is out tonight and Powe should get some significant playing time.

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
agreed

also Hali is apparently going to play again

why in the hell is Hali playing so much when he is OUT for the 1st game?

Shouldn't his replacement be getting time out there so they are ready to play against Atlanta.

Dumbass Crennal just trying to show support for Hali instead of trying to win the dam game.

It's genius in my opinion. Atlanta has no idea who is going to start over there. Could be Houston, Studebaker or Sheffield and it kind of seems like he has been hiding Sheffield to me.

You guys really gotta stop looking at the preseason at face value.

htismaqe
08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
It's genius in my opinion. Atlanta has no idea who is going to start over there. Could be Houston, Studebaker or Sheffield and it kind of seems like he has been hiding Sheffield to me.

You think everything Romeo does is genius.

Strongside
08-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Man Fuck the Boston Herald.

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
You think everything Romeo does is genius.

No but, I believe in him and understand what he's doing. He's the right man for the job.

htismaqe
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
No but, I believe in him and understand what he's doing. He's the right man for the job.

Kind of like when Gunther was the right man for the job when Carl needed somebody that wouldn't ever disagree with him...

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Why do you believe this? A better sample size than last year was his 4 years in Cleveland and he showed nothing overall. Im just not sold on the guy

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Kind of like when Gunther was the right man for the job when Carl needed somebody that wouldn't ever disagree with him...

Gunther wasn't a part of five Superbowl teams. Gunther never stopped Antonio Gates. Gunther got fired after one season. What are you talking about?

You are going to hate Pioli no matter what and I understand. I hated Haley even after winning the West. It's the same thing.

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Why do you believe this? A better sample size than last year was his 4 years in Cleveland and he showed nothing overall. Im just not sold on the guy

He had no talent up there. It was a rebuild. He is proven here imo and he doesn't have to rebuild. This is the best team we have had since 1995 imo. He just has to steer the ship and play to his players strengths.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Gunther wasn't a part of five Superbowl teams. Gunther never stopped Antonio Gates. Gunther got fired after one season. What are you talking about?

You are going to hate Pioli no matter what and I understand. I hated Haley even after winning the West. It's the same thing.

Really?

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Really?

Yep, he was fired after on season as the HC and that's what we are talking about. I was one of the 30 people there at his last game on Christmas day. None of the players cared. it was aweful.

I'm not sure how anyone could compare Gun to Romeo. Remember Gun going around camp with scissors cutting people's shirts off and stuff? He was much more like Haley than he was like Romeo. Romeo inspired the players for sure.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Yep, he was fired after on season as the HC and that's what we are talking about. I was one of the 30 people there at his last game on Christmas day. None of the players cared. it was aweful.

so they played a 32 game season that one season he was a head coach?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Cunningham

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM

try 2 seasons

Reerun_KC
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
try 2 seasons

Dont steal my thunder... I was building him up, then dropping some basic chiefs knowledge on him...

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
try 2 seasons

Then it was 2 seasons? My bad. All I know is that I saw the end. Did Carl control Vermeil? How about Herm? Was Herm brought in to find talent? Maybe Carl did sign Gun to control him but, Lamar didn't let that shit go on for long.

When Vermiel got here we quit building through the draft etc. When Herm got here we started building through the draft. I'm not sure Carl was in control of much at all.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
He had no talent up there. It was a rebuild. He is proven here imo and he doesn't have to rebuild. This is the best team we have had since 1995 imo. He just has to steer the ship and play to his players strengths.

Sad thing is, this team could have been a Super Bowl contender in 1995. Now days, with how the league has transformed, it's hard to win with running the ball and solid defense. Not to say we can't win a lot of games with that method, but a Super Bowl? You pretty much have to have an elite QB to go all the way. Teams will figure out how to stifle our rushing attack and then we're screwed. For example, see 2010 against Baltimore...

Reerun_KC
08-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Herm was/is nothing more than a foot shuffling porter... 95% of the people here could draft and build an NFL team that could dick stomp that loser...

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Sad thing is, this team could have been a Super Bowl contender in 1995. Now days, with how the league has transformed, it's hard to win with running the ball and solid defense. Not to say we can't win a lot of games with that method, but a Super Bowl? You pretty much have to have an elite QB to go all the way. Teams will figure out how to stifle our rushing attack and then we're screwed. For example, see 2010 against Baltimore...

I don't know man. I don't think we could have ever gotten past some of those NFC teams back then anyway. San Francisco and Dallas were tough. I fear we would have ended up like the Bills and the Steelers in the Super Bowl. It sucks but it's true...

Herm was/is nothing more than a foot shuffling porter... 95% of the people here could draft and build an NFL team that could dick stomp that loser...

I credit him for getting us most of the core players we have today. 95% of the people here couldn't shine Herm's shoes. It's a hard job and having a good eye for talent is rare.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I credit him for getting us most of the core players we have today. 95% of the people here couldn't shine Herm's shoes. It's a hard job and having a good eye for talent is rare.

Are you Herms Nephew or something?

Black Bob
08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Are you Herms Nephew or something?

No, I just notice what he did for KC today. What did Haley do to better us? Where is his mark on this team?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Yup, it is just the preaseason, it is not indicative of anything and it is meaningless.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is pointless to worry about record wise and you'll never convince me otherwise. Colts were just awesome in the preseason with Potato Head.

Saccopoo
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM

This.

Powe is the only guy on the defensive line that has been consistently demanding double teams and the only NT who has got any real penetration. Guy has looked really good so far.

I understand that they want to give Poe as many reps as they can, but if Toribio isn't going to be available for the Falcons, they you've got to start getting Powe first team reps.

htismaqe
08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
This.

Powe is the only guy on the defensive line that has been consistently demanding double teams and the only NT who has got any real penetration. Guy has looked really good so far.

I understand that they want to give Poe as many reps as they can, but if Toribio isn't going to be available for the Falcons, they you've got to start getting Powe first team reps.

Hali isn't going to be available for the Falcons, and they're still giving him all the 1st-team reps.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
No, I just notice what he did for KC today. What did Haley do to better us? Where is his mark on this team?

Herm won 6 games his last 2 years. Yes, he helped lay the foundation for the future by being truly awful. That’s how it works in the NFL. If he was any good, he would still have a HC gig somewhere.

Haley snagged us Eric Berry and Poe for being awful.

whoman69
08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
The final score of preseason games is meaningless. But if in the time that they are out there your first team is getting the crap kicked out of them, its an issue. Many teams are going to have problems going into the season with new practice rules. The Chiefs won't be alone. Some teams are getting it done.

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
If Flowers can't play we may see another repeat of last season's home opener.

A FUCKING BEATDOWN!!!!

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
The final score of preseason games is meaningless. But if in the time that they are out there your first team is getting the crap kicked out of them, its an issue.

Maybe...Maybe not.....Teams evolve over the course of a season. Some teams start off good and get bad, some teams start off bad and get good. It’s a long season. Its way too early to jump to any sort of conclusions about the 2012 Chiefs. What does scare me is Romeo and Cassel because they both have track records now and its not the best.

We shall see…..

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

This. Our season, with Cassel leading the way, will surely be stellar.

whoman69
08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe...Maybe not.....Teams evolve over the course of a season. Some teams start off good and get bad, some teams start off bad and get good. It’s a long season. Its way too early to jump to any sort of conclusions about the 2012 Chiefs. What does scare me is Romeo and Cassel because they both have track records now and its not the best.

We shall see…..

Romeo was a quality coach who was one of the few that had some success in Cleveland. One thing that does trouble me is that perhaps taking the coordinator and HC positions at the same time. I was hoping they would hire Dick Nolan to be coordinator.

Cassel has been pretty consistent in his inadequacies throughout the years. What you see is what you get.

Easy 6
09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm just glad to see that someone outside of KC is even paying attention, SI, ESPN? we probably couldnt buy coverage from those guys.

Molitoth
09-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm just glad to see that someone outside of KC is even paying attention, SI, ESPN? we probably couldnt buy coverage from those guys.

Why would they cover a team that traditionally sucks?
I guess they do cover the Jets a lot.........

whoman69
09-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't know man. I don't think we could have ever gotten past some of those NFC teams back then anyway. San Francisco and Dallas were tough. I fear we would have ended up like the Bills and the Steelers in the Super Bowl. It sucks but it's true...

He may have an eye for talent, but he sure can't bring out the best in talent. He might actually do better in the NFL now that all teams are contractually bound to run weak practices like he did.

Easy 6
09-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Why would they cover a team that traditionally sucks?
I guess they do cover the Jets a lot.........

Yet apparently just as i spoke, here i find Don Banks making some solid points about KC ...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/31/afc-west-preview-2012/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a1

Sorter
09-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Personally, I think Herm is probably best suited to be a D-Backs coach. Possibly a D-Coordinator, but there aren't too many teams that still play his style of D IIR.

Assud
09-02-2012, 12:50 AM

Tom Brady hasn't played very well this preseason. I wonder how much of that will translate to failure in the regular season.