PDA

View Full Version : Life Some turd stole my pain meds.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I have two bottles. One bottle has a bunch of the oxycodones that I take 3 times a day, and another bottle has oxycontin, which I take one at night. I keep them hidden in my room at my brothers house. He had some people over last night while I was at work, and one of them found the bottle with the larger number of pills. So all I got left now is one a day of the others.

I'm not worried about it too much because I get them refilled next Wednesday, but my doctor has to urine test everybody and my dosage is going to be lower than it should. I don't know if I should call his office to let him know what happened or if I should tell him at my appointment. I won't try to get an early refill because he won't do that, but he needs to know why my urine will show less than it should. I went out today and bought a safe. The person who stole them was someone that knew I was prescribed the meds but I can't prove it. Assholes man. Can't trust people.

Ace Gunner
08-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Kill them and change your locks.

Buck
08-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Steal his life.

stonedstooge
08-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I have two bottles. One bottle has a bunch of the oxycodones that I take 3 times a day, and another bottle has oxycontin, which I take one at night. I keep them hidden in my room at my brothers house. He had some people over last night while I was at work, and one of them found the bottle with the larger number of pills. So all I got left now is one a day of the others.

I'm not worried about it too much because I get them refilled next Wednesday, but my doctor has to urine test everybody and my dosage is going to be lower than it should. I don't know if I should call his office to let him know what happened or if I should tell him at my appointment. I won't try to get an early refill because he won't do that, but he needs to know why my urine will show less than it should. I went out today and bought a safe. The person who stole them was someone that knew I was prescribed the meds but I can't prove it. Assholes man. Can't trust people.

Don't you love how being on pain meds makes you a criminal to be proven innocent at a later date?

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
The strange part about it is the thief found the bottle that was hidden the best. Like I said though, I can tough out going a few days without them, but I don't want to get booted by my doctor for him thinking I sold them or took too many early. Thats why I am pondering filing a police report or calling the doctors office. I would be sure to emphasize that I'm not attempting to get an early refill but just wanted them to be aware of my situation.

stonedstooge
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
The strange part about it is the thief found the bottle that was hidden the best. Like I said though, I can tough out going a few days without them, but I don't want to get booted by my doctor for him thinking I sold them or took too many early. Thats why I am pondering filing a police report or calling the doctors office. I would be sure to emphasize that I'm not attempting to get an early refill but just wanted them to be aware of my situation.

Think I would at least call your doctor's office and let them know. If you aren't wanting refills earlier, I'm sure they won't get after you about it

Planetman
08-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Call the doctor then call the police and make a report.

Setsuna
08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
LOL. The addicts KNOW where the stash is. You might as well hide them in your anal cavity.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Yeah I just would hate to file a report when I know they can't do a thing about it.

Fish
08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Why is this a recurring theme? Get off the nasty pain pills dude. This isn't the first time you thought someone stole them. That shit robs you of your memories. Break the cycle bud. It's time to kick that shit. It's held you back long enough.

I'm not a junkie. I've had 4 facial reconstructive surgeries and take them for hard to tolerate pain. I take them as prescribed. However I believe some were stolen from work, but I can't accuse anyone. I just have to chalk it up to being my fault and move on.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8716323&postcount=12

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:09 PM
I almost think my doc would appreciate it more if I didn't bother his office about it and just told him in person at the appointment. If I tell one of his office ladies, who knows what they will tell him or how. I'd rather just tell him myself and he would hopefully understand why, if I tell him I just didn't want to bother his office when I knew nothing could be done about it.

Planetman
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah I just would hate to file a report when I know they can't do a thing about it.
You need to keep a record, should this happen again. You don't need your doctor thinking you're a drug seeker who pops too many pills or some guy who sells his meds on the street either.

lcarus
Why is this a recurring theme? Get off the nasty pain pills dude. This isn't the first time you thought someone stole them. That shit robs you of your memories. Break the cycle bud. It's time to kick that shit. It's held you back long enough.

Ha, whats funny is there were different people from my work at this get together (my brother worked there too). My workplace is full of druggies.

Edit: I also have had some stolen at another time. 3 times in the last year. Thats why I bought the safe.

Brock
They might think you're selling them. Anyway, I'll agree with whoever said quit taking them.

Fish
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Ha, whats funny is there were different people from my work at this get together (my brother worked there too). My workplace is full of druggies.

It doesn't matter. Just eliminate your addiction to them and you won't ever have to worry about it anymore.

I mean it man. My sister went down this road, and it's ugly and you can't trust yourself to tell the truth when it comes to those pills. You've talked about it before, and the topic keeps coming back up. Get some help with it. Talk to somebody about it.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:19 PM
It doesn't matter. Just eliminate your addiction to them and you won't ever have to worry about it anymore.

I mean it man. My sister went down this road, and it's ugly and you can't trust yourself to tell the truth when it comes to those pills. You've talked about it before, and the topic keeps coming back up. Get some help with it. Talk to somebody about it.

I think you're right. It's damned time to ween myself off of these awful things and deal with the pain in a better way. I see myself headed down a bad path too. Full of dependence and being a pill zombie. I've heard good things about a drug called suboxone. Its supposedly non addicting? I will look into it

ReynardMuldrake
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM

Edit: I also have had some stolen at another time. 3 times in the last year. Thats why I bought the safe.

How long have you been on these meds exactly? I hate to be 'that guy' but maybe you should be more focused on not building a dependency. Those things are very hard to kick if you happen to get hooked on them.

Also, the whole 'don't file a police report, don't tell the receptionist, let's keep it quiet' thing might raise suspicion. To an outside observer that could sound like drug-seeking behavior.

Phobia
08-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Did they at least fix your face?

If I were you, I'd make a small "Pain Med Thief Champion" and present it to your main suspect. Seems perfectly passive-aggressive and it will make you feel better than a few pills anyway.

Fish
08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I think you're right. It's damned time to ween myself off of these awful things and deal with the pain in a better way. I see myself headed down a bad path too. Full of dependence and being a pill zombie. I've heard good things about a drug called suboxone. Its supposedly non addicting? I will look into it

Good. Do it. Whatever it takes. I know how that shit can make you dependent. Your world shrinks down, and you exclude people who care about you. You keep yourself in that safe little bubble where you always know where your pills are and you feel scared venturing too far away. It becomes the focus of your life. Break out of that now. Better yet, find someone to help you break out of that cycle. Cause you probably can't do it by yourself.

Don't be that zombie anymore bud. Look into it. Keep us updated with your progress. You'll find encouragement here. You're a good guy, and there's too much you're missing out on.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Good. Do it. Whatever it takes. I know how that shit can make you dependent. Your world shrinks down, and you exclude people who care about you. You keep yourself in that safe little bubble where you always know where your pills are and you feel scared venturing too far away. It becomes the focus of your life. Break out of that now. Better yet, find someone to help you break out of that cycle. Cause you probably can't do it by yourself.

Don't be that zombie anymore bud. Look into it. Keep us updated with your progress. You'll find encouragement here. You're a good guy, and there's too much you're missing out on.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I'm in a good state of mind to do this soon. Last time I got these stolen I was kinda flipping out. This time I don't really care. It's weird. Its like I realize now that shit like this could happen a lot and its just not worth the hassle. I could lose them, they can get stolen, they can get ruined in a washing machine, etc. I'm just sick of fucking with it.

Fish
08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I think I'm in a good state of mind to do this soon. Last time I got these stolen I was kinda flipping out. This time I don't really care. It's weird. Its like I realize now that shit like this could happen a lot and its just not worth the hassle. I could lose them, they can get stolen, they can get ruined in a washing machine, etc. I'm just sick of fucking with it.

That's a damn good start. Tell your doctor that. Ask him to help you set goals to get off that shit.

boogblaster
08-29-2012, 09:42 PM
eat too many lose ya wife .. eat abunch mo lose ya life .....

milkman
08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I admit it.

I took them.

I mean I've been a Chiefs fan for the better part of 50 years.

Who has suffered more than me?

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I admit it.

I took them.

I mean I've been a Chiefs fan for the better part of 50 years.

Who has suffered more than me?

Well if it was you I would totally understand haha. Chiefs fans get a pass. We're always in pain.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:51 PM
That's a damn good start. Tell your doctor that. Ask him to help you set goals to get off that shit.

While I'm at it the cigs gotta go too. Fuck cigarettes. I think I should just smoke a little pot and fuck everything else, including caffeine. It'll make me forget about it all lol

qabbaan
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Freakin drug people will steal anything from anyone if push comes to shove. They'd rob their grandmothers grave if they could.

Dunit35
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I have done many police reports of people stealing their pain meds. I've also been called by doctors to see if someone reported their meds stolen. If I say no, they don't give them anymore. So, I would file a police report. They are simple reports for us to do, take about 10 minutes.

cdcox
08-29-2012, 10:02 PM
While I'm at it the cigs gotta go too. **** cigarettes. I think I should just smoke a little pot and **** everything else, including caffeine. It'll make me forget about it all lol

Most recovering addicts smoke. If you've been using pain meds for an extended period of time you are going to be struggling with the desire to use for a while. Cigs seem to help with that struggle. Get clean for a couple years and if you want to quit smoking then, go for it.

Most find they can't smoke pot (or drink) because it just leads back to the pills. FWIW, YMMV.

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM

this. I bet you missplaced the pills and because your brain is so fried you just think you put them in that special hiding place.

think about it. You're accusing someone of searching and finding these hidden pills. Don't you think someone would have noticed said criminal going through all your crap? Wouldn't that take a while?

nah, you just put them somewhere and now you can't remember where they are.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I have done many police reports of people stealing their pain meds. I've also been called by doctors to see if someone reported their meds stolen. If I say no, they don't give them anymore. So, I would file a police report. They are simple reports for us to do, take about 10 minutes.

Can I file a report over the phone or will an officer come out? Ive never filed anything with the police before.

Buck
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah man get off that stuff.

You fly too close to the Sun and you're bound to melt your wings.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
this. I bet you missplaced the pills and because your brain is so fried you just think you put them in that special hiding place.

think about it. You're accusing someone of searching and finding these hidden pills. Don't you think someone would have noticed said criminal going through all your crap? Wouldn't that take a while?

nah, you just put them somewhere and now you can't remember where they are.

No I remember exactly where they were. I know who took them. A person that knows I have them. I just can't prove it. My brother had several people over for a cookout. I bet the dude came in to use the restroom and went in my room. I say it was well hidden, but someone who knew I was hiding them wouldn't have had TOO much trouble finding them. obviously anyway. You have to realize that I go to this hiding place every single damn morning to get my pills for the day. They don't mess with my head like pot would. I've been taking them for a long time so I function normally when I take them.

I made the mistake of letting too many people know that I am prescribed these. Just one more reason why I should quit. God forbid someone broke into my house or hurt me for these

KcMizzou
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Freakin drug people will steal anything from anyone if push comes to shove. They'd rob their grandmothers grave if they could."A drunk will steal your wallet, and feel like shit about it. An addict will steal your wallet, and help you look for it." (Justified)

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2012, 10:18 PM
No I remember exactly where they were. I know who took them. A person that knows I have them. I just can't prove it. My brother had several people over for a cookout. I bet the dude came in to use the restroom and went in my room. I say it was well hidden, but someone who knew I was hiding them wouldn't have had TOO much trouble finding them. obviously anyway. You have to realize that I go to this hiding place every single damn morning to get my pills for the day. They don't mess with my head like pot would. I've been taking them for a long time so I function normally when I take them.

I made the mistake of letting too many people know that I am prescribed these. Just one more reason why I should quit. God forbid someone broke into my house or hurt me for these

well good luck with getting off this crap. Also, don't reveal your hiding places, it defeats the purpose.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM
well good luck with getting off this crap. Also, don't reveal your hiding places, it defeats the purpose.

I didn't reveal the hiding places lol. But thanks, I am definitely gonna quit these nasty things. I think a good portion of the withdrawal is mental. Just gotta keep myself active and keep my chin up until my doctor can help me out with tapering or alternatives

lcarus
08-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I just got to stop from getting depressed. Thats honestly the worst part imo. Theres nothin to be depressed about, its just the way your brain reacts to not having what its used to. Football season is about to start, the weather is nice, I'm otherwise healthy, employed, plenty of things to keep me entertained. I will be good and do this.

cdcox
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
I just got to stop from getting depressed. Thats honestly the worst part imo. Theres nothin to be depressed about, its just the way your brain reacts to not having what its used to. Football season is about to start, the weather is nice, I'm otherwise healthy, employed, plenty of things to keep me entertained. I will be good and do this.

At least go to Narcotics Anonymous or AA. You'll benefit from the support.

Otter
08-29-2012, 10:33 PM
You get urine tested for pills you were prescribed? That's new to me.

Wow, what a racket! I need to get into pharmaceuticals.

Dunit35
08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Can I file a report over the phone or will an officer come out? Ive never filed anything with the police before.

At our department you can. You should be able to, saves everyone time. Just tell them what was taken, how much was taken, value, when you last saw it/when you noticed it was gone, and if you have any suspects. It'll be a one paragraph report if I did it. Wait til morning though, nights are usually busy for most departments.

You'll need a copy of it for your doctor.

This is Oklahoma but I would imagine its about the same in other states.

LVNHACK
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM

I gotta agree...pain pills ruined my marriage....Took my ex from a beautiful intelligent woman to a fucking train wreck that couldn't function....Good luck getting off those nasty pills....

Bump
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
ask your DR why you can't just get some weed instead of big pharma's bad drugs

Fairplay
08-29-2012, 11:40 PM
LOL. The addicts KNOW where the stash is. You might as well hide them in your anal cavity.

That is where they found it. :eek:

Fairplay
08-29-2012, 11:44 PM
You get urine tested for pills you were prescribed? That's new to me.

What is the doctor looking for in the urine test? That you have Oxy in your system already?

I don't quite understand that part Icarus, explain.

LVNHACK
08-30-2012, 12:27 AM
What is the doctor looking for in the urine test? That you have Oxy in your system already?

I don't quite understand that part Icarus, explain.

They test in order to ensure the person who is prescribed the meds have the level prescribed in their system....Not that they're selling their meds...

Otter
08-30-2012, 02:09 AM
They test in order to ensure the person who is prescribed the meds have the level prescribed in their system....Not that they're selling their meds...

Wow. So what's the best career path into pharmaceuticals for someone that more technical than a salesman?

LVNHACK
08-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Wow. So what's the best career path into pharmaceuticals for someone that more technical than a salesman?

You never heard the term....Hillbilly Heroin ?....That's oxy and many other 'scripts in the same family...I'm not as up with the current situations as I once was ie: Street Value and all the other shit that goes along with it....Ask one of the LEO's on board....That shit is fucking evil

BoltWalt
08-30-2012, 03:19 AM

That sounds like a good advice to follow.

NewChief
08-30-2012, 04:49 AM
While it's possible he lost the meds, I have zero problem believing that someone else, knowing he had pain meds somewhere in the house, would find and steal them. He admitted that the people he works with and hangs out with are "druggies."

The problem you're going to have, Icarus, is distinguishing between the real pain from your surgeries and the "pain" from opiate withdrawal. The way you talked about it, it sounds like you're planning on just toughing it out and going cold turkey. That's not really a winning strategy. Highly recommend you get some help. Anyone coming off opiates needs help, but you actually had a legitimate use (at least at one time) for the opiates. As such, it's going to be a little more complicated, as you may need further pain management once you kick the opiates, and you're going to need someone who knows how to treat pain without opiates if you're going to be dealing with long term pain once you kick.

Gary
08-30-2012, 05:11 AM

I would also suggest finding new friends that aren't the kind of people that steal prescription pain medications from you.

bevischief
08-30-2012, 06:16 AM
My wife has never been tested to see if she has been taking her pain meds. She also has more medical issues than you do and more painful. What state do you live in and how long have you been on them?

Big Smoke
08-30-2012, 06:18 AM
While it's possible he lost the meds, I have zero problem believing that someone else, knowing he had pain meds somewhere in the house, would find and steal them. He admitted that the people he works with and hangs out with are "druggies."

The problem you're going to have, Icarus, is distinguishing between the real pain from your surgeries and the "pain" from opiate withdrawal. The way you talked about it, it sounds like you're planning on just toughing it out and going cold turkey. That's not really a winning strategy. Highly recommend you get some help. Anyone coming off opiates needs help, but you actually had a legitimate use (at least at one time) for the opiates. As such, it's going to be a little more complicated, as you may need further pain management once you kick the opiates, and you're going to need someone who knows how to treat pain without opiates if you're going to be dealing with long term pain once you kick.

Very nice post.

Unfortunately, kicking this won't be all that easy. First off I'd ask if you still have a need for them due to the pain you were originally having. If so; What happens if you go a day without? Yes you'll feel pain, but do you believe it's more mental? Or is it actually physical?

You mentioned you are taking Oxycodone and Oxyconition. As I am sure you are probably aware.... They are the same drug. Oxycodone is just Oxyconition with Tylenol in it. So how many MG total of each drug do you take?

Big Smoke
08-30-2012, 06:23 AM
My wife has never been tested to see if she has been taking her pain meds. She also has more medical issues than you do and more painful. What state do you live in and how long have you been on them?

My understanding is that some offices will do a UT on patients who are ay "high risk" for abusing the medication. People who commonly ask for refills early or "have their meds stolen" a bunch of times. Or "washed them in the laundry"... etc.

bevischief
08-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Your doctor really should be sending you to see pain management.

griZZly64
08-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Smoke some weed and take ibuprofen.

griZZly64
08-30-2012, 06:41 AM

This book helped me out when I couldn't walk from sciatica. http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/0446392308 (http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/0446392308)

LVNHACK
08-30-2012, 07:15 AM
My understanding is that some offices will do a UT on patients who are ay "high risk" for abusing the medication. People who commonly ask for refills early or "have their meds stolen" a bunch of times. Or "washed them in the laundry"... etc.

All that and depending on the area one lives....If your in an "at risk" area it's common practice....

Hog Farmer
08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
You need to keep a record, should this happen again. You don't need your doctor thinking you're a drug seeker who pops too many pills or some guy who sells his meds on the street either.

Get a clue man. He's using this thread as a cover up.

Predarat
08-30-2012, 07:30 AM
That makes it tougher when its someone that you know that steals from you. Especially if you considered them a friend.

phuzz013
08-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Here to clarify a few things in this thread.

I worked for 4 years as a doctor in a county hospital during my training.

If you signed a pain contract with your physician, I'd look at it and see what it asks you to do. Even if it doesn't say anything or you did not sign one, you should call your doctor's office and be truthful. Usually you are still out of luck until the next outpatient visit.

If you decide to taper and have been on high doses, opiate withdrawal can still lead to serious problems if you decide to go cold turkey such as agitation or seizures. It'd be preferable to undergo a taper of opiates. Ask your doctor about this.

The urine test that we used was Ameritox, at www.ameritox.com. If you decide to switch to another drug of abuse such as marijuana, know that the urine test picks up on this too. If you had a pain contract you may be breaking it when you abuse other street drugs.

Oxycontin is the long acting form of oxycodone (lasts 12 hours). The short acting version of oxycodone lasts 4 hours, so he takes 1-3 pills a day during breakthrough pain, but the oxycontin's are scheduled twice a day for around the clock pain relief.

Good luck on trying to quit.

Iowanian
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
What is sad is that so many people are hooked on these damn things and fake and lie to get the pills, that I pretty much assume anyone taking pain pills for more than a week is just a tweeker.

I know there are valid cases, but most times it just seems like an excuse for an opiate addiction.

The first thing that sets of my buzzer is that you "hide" your "medicine".

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
If you lived in Broward County, FL you could just drive down to a pain clinic and get a re-up. I watched a documentary on Broward County pain clinics and it was crazy town, people driving down from all over the country, paying $150 for an MRI on the spot, and another $150 for the script that they dispense on location.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 08:30 AM
What is sad is that so many people are hooked on these damn things and fake and lie to get the pills, that I pretty much assume anyone taking pain pills for more than a week is just a tweeker.

I know there are valid cases, but most times it just seems like an excuse for an opiate addiction.

The first thing that sets of my buzzer is that you "hide" your "medicine".

Gosh so many comments and suggestions in here since I went to sleep. I don't know where to start. Yes I hide my medicine. For one thing, we have a 16 month old in our house who is climbing everywhere and getting into everything. Secondly, I don't trust leaving them in a medicine cabinet. I live with my brother and his wife. I don't think they would ever take any, but I am not sure about that. It's just easier to stash them away. We have people over sometimes too. It's just safer to keep them in a safe place.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Also FTR, I go to a pain management place. They urine test every single patient every time. I've been going to this particular place for a long time now and have never had an issue with my urine tests or calling to get refillls. Nothing like that.

Fish
08-30-2012, 08:35 AM
That's a good point. If you're hiding it and guarding it, and you're paranoid people are finding it and stealing it even when you're hiding it, then it has way too much control over your life. At that point, your own body starts betraying you to get that shit. Your mind will convince you that you're in pain, just to motivate you to get and take more. When your own body starts working against you like that in a destructive manner, it's time to stop.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
That's a good point. If you're hiding it and guarding it, and you're paranoid people are finding it and stealing it even when you're hiding it, then it has way too much control over your life. At that point, your own body starts betraying you to get that shit. Your mind will convince you that you're in pain, just to motivate you to get and take more. When your own body starts working against you like that in a destructive manner, it's time to stop.

I would agree with you it has way too much control over my life, but not because I hide it in a safe place. I just think that's common sense when there are always people in your house, sometimes people you don't know, and I'm gone a lot. It isn't like I have a batcave where I play a piano and the wall opens up to my pills in the cave. It's just a simple spot where the only way someone could find it is if they knew what to look for (this person did)

Fish
08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I would agree with you it has way too much control over my life, but not because I hide it in a safe place. I just think that's common sense when there are always people in your house, sometimes people you don't know, and I'm gone a lot. It isn't like I have a batcave where I play a piano and the wall opens up to my pills in the cave. It's just a simple spot where the only way someone could find it is if they knew what to look for (this person did)

I think that's partly the drugs talking. It's not common sense to think that other people in your house are going to steal medication. Either you have really really shitty friends, or you're being over paranoid. Usually when someone in your situation says that, they're just being paranoid because they have a dependence and they place infinitely more value on the pills than normal people do. You're thinking that every single person that's in the house might take your pills. Think about that for a second. Realize the way you're viewing everybody else.

The bottom line is, when you move it from the medicine cabinet to a secret hiding spot, it's no longer medicine. At that point it becomes a drug. It becomes an unhealthy obsession. You've already indicated a suspicion of your brother and his wife. That's not healthy.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I think that's partly the drugs talking. It's not common sense to think that other people in your house are going to steal medication. Either you have really really shitty friends, or you're being over paranoid. Usually when someone in your situation says that, they're just being paranoid because they have a dependence and they place infinitely more value on the pills than normal people do. You're thinking that every single person that's in the house might take your pills. Think about that for a second. Realize the way you're viewing everybody else.

The bottom line is, when you move it from the medicine cabinet to a secret hiding spot, it's no longer medicine. At that point it becomes a drug. It becomes an unhealthy obsession. You've already indicated a suspicion of your brother and his wife. That's not healthy.

Well perhaps you're right. I do put more value on them than regular medicine because it is a controlled substance that I'm dependent on. Its not healthy and its time to taper down.

ChiefButthurt
08-30-2012, 09:38 AM

I have the answer....quit telling others that you take controlled narcotics. :D

lcarus
08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I have the answer....quit telling others that you take controlled narcotics. :D

Lol yes like I said I made a mistake. I think the better option at this point is to quit. I'm sure as hell gonna try, even with the help of a professional

ChiefsHawk
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
how is a 16 month old going to get into a medicine cabinet? thinking its above your bathroom sink?

lcarus
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
how is a 16 month old going to get into a medicine cabinet? thinking its above your bathroom sink?

No, the only storage place we have in our tiny ass bathroom is a little basket drawer thingy under the sink. I'm not so much worried about the baby getting into them as them being taken. It IS because I'm dependent on the medication that I'm so paranoid about hiding them. That isn't in doubt. I know it. My doc knows it. He even told me that I'm responsible for my medication and keeping it away from people you don't trust is a good idea. Well...honestly who can you trust anymore? My brothers wife has people over a lot when i'm gone. My brother has people over. Obviously I wasn't wrong to be paranoid because they DID get stolen.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Lots of judgmenty judgment in this thread. It's pretty easy to tell someone they don't need pain meds, when you're not in the pain yourself.

Dave Lane
08-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Dude get help, get off them and move on. Your future life and child will thank you down the road.

Dave Lane
08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Lots of judgmenty judgment in this thread. It's pretty easy to tell someone they don't need pain meds, when you're not in the pain yourself.

Well he admits he's been on them a "long time" he needs to stop and they are controlling his life, but other than that what bad judgements are others making? Seriously dude needs all the help and encouragement he can get to do the right thing.

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Tell him the truth. If you don't have a history of drug seeking behavior, it shouldn't be a problem.

Those oxys are worth anywhere between 15 and 30 apiece on the street. Don't ever let anyone near them again. And your "friend" needs his ass kicked. You are a legitimate pain patient, and that is EXTREMELY low of them to do.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Well he admits he's been on them a "long time" he needs to stop and they are controlling his life, but other than that what bad judgements are others making? Seriously dude needs all the help and encouragement he can get to do the right thing.

I could've glanced by and missed something, but I didn't see him "admit" anything until he started getting publicly shamed for taking them. I don't know, it sounds like he has a doctor that is pretty strict on them, so I'll trust his judgment on whether he still needs them or not.

If he wants off of them, hey, I support him 100%. I'm just not going to judge him for taking them.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I could've glanced by and missed something, but I didn't see him "admit" anything until he started getting publicly shamed for taking them. I don't know, it sounds like he has a doctor that is pretty strict on them, so I'll trust his judgment on whether he still needs them or not.

If he wants off of them, hey, I support him 100%. I'm just not going to judge him for taking them.

No I need them for controlling pain, but also my body has gotten used to them, and that's the part I hate. I take them for a reason. They don't (and never did) get me "high". It just gets to a point after a long time that your body needs them in order to feel normal. There has to be a better way to manage pain. I'll talk to my doc about it.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
No I need them for controlling pain, but also my body has gotten used to them, and that's the part I hate. I take them for a reason. They don't (and never did) get me "high". It just gets to a point after a long time that your body needs them in order to feel normal. There has to be a better way to manage pain. I'll talk to my doc about it.

Right on. If it's good for you, it's good for me. It's your life bro. At some point you won't have a choice but to get off of them. If the time is right, great. If not, it will come. I wish the best for you.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
How long have you been taking them?

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
How long have you been taking them?

And how much do you take?

lcarus
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Dudes, I don't even wanna say how long I've been taking them. I'm ashamed that I'm so dependent on them. Just know it's been several years. Like I said though, it's day 2 of me not having them during the daytime (I only take one at night now to sleep) and I really feel pretty good considering. I'm just gonna take it as a sign that now is a good time to really consider an exit strategy. Because like someone here said, am I gonna take them my whole life? God I hope not. That would be sucky. Now's a great time to taper down and eventually quit. I hope I can get some support here at CP. I will update you all just enough to where I'm not annoying. Maybe every week or two. Of course I will have professional help as well, but it's always nice to have the support of random people that share a common interest whom I've come to know over the course of a couple years.

manchambo
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Dudes, I don't even wanna say how long I've been taking them. I'm ashamed that I'm so dependent on them. Just know it's been several years. Like I said though, it's day 2 of me not having them during the daytime (I only take one at night now to sleep) and I really feel pretty good considering. I'm just gonna take it as a sign that now is a good time to really consider an exit strategy. Because like someone here said, am I gonna take them my whole life? God I hope not. That would be sucky. Now's a great time to taper down and eventually quit. I hope I can get some support here at CP. I will update you all just enough to where I'm not annoying. Maybe every week or two. Of course I will have professional help as well, but it's always nice to have the support of random people that share a common interest whom I've come to know over the course of a couple years.

I take pain meds every day for my back (not as strong and not as much, but I do take an opiate). I don't believe there's anything to be ashamed of about being dependent (and I distinguish that from being addicted) on a medicine like this. Almost any medicine you take for a long period will cause physiological changes. A medicine, like opiates, which affects neurochemistry will cause changes in that chemistry. It's just natural that stopping cold turkey will cause problems.

I don't see anything here that indicates you have any particular problem with these drugs, or any reason you would need to quit. If you have to take them your whole life then so be it. I've never heard anyone say there's a problem with taking blood pressure or diabetes medicines for the rest of their life, but they sure enough have to take them for the rest of their lives. It would undoubtedly be better if you didn't have to deal with a pain disorder for the rest of your life, but that was the hand you were dealt so you have to make the best of it. And that might include taking medicine to render the pain tolerable.

I would encourage you, however, not to stop now by an accidental methodology of not being able to take the medicine you need. If you are able to stop or reduce, that's great but you should do it with the help of your doctor. Tapering with lower doses of the drugs or with lower potency drugs (or even with different drugs that can diminish withdrawal symptoms) will be much better for you and, more to the point, will be more likely to succeed. Whatever you do, you should not get discouraged that it is extremely difficult to stop cold turkey, because you absolutely don't have to (and shouldn't) stop that way.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 11:42 AM

If you can go a few days without them why do you need to take so many pain pills?

lcarus
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
If you can go a few days without them why do you need to take so many pain pills?

It isn't comfortable, I'll tell you that much. But it isn't the seventh circle of hell that I've heard some people describe. I definitely wish I had them, but I'm toughing it out. The amount I take is what I'm prescribed and what my body and brain are used to. It hasn't even been 48 hours yet since I've been on this much lower dose. They say day 3 is the worst. I'm not gonna worry about it though. Next week will be here soon enough, and at least I have a 3 day weekend to do what I need to do.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
It isn't comfortable, I'll tell you that much. But it isn't the seventh circle of hell that I've heard some people describe. I definitely wish I had them, but I'm toughing it out. The amount I take is what I'm prescribed and what my body and brain are used to. It hasn't even been 48 hours yet since I've been on this much lower dose. They say day 3 is the worst. I'm not gonna worry about it though. Next week will be here soon enough, and at least I have a 3 day weekend to do what I need to do.

Good luck man, hope it all turns out ok for you. Who knows, thief that stole your pills might have done you a big favor.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Good luck man, hope it all turns out ok for you. Who knows, thief that stole your pills might have done you a big favor.

Thanks dude. Yes, I'm trying to be positive about it like that. Taking a few days with a lower dose isn't the worst thing in the world.

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Wasn't it you who started almost this same thread a couple months or so ago? I could be wrong.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Wasn't it you who started almost this same thread a couple months or so ago? I could be wrong.

Yes. This is the second time I've had a significant amount of these stolen. There was a third time as well, but it was only a few that time. And people wonder why I hide them and why I'm getting a safe.

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes. This is the second time I've had a significant amount of these stolen. There was a third time as well, but it was only a few that time. And people wonder why I hide them and why I'm getting a safe.

So no luck coming off the last time??
I have a buddy who is using Suboxone right now, and says it's a fucking miracle drug.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Those oxys are worth anywhere between 15 and 30 apiece on the street.

15 and 30 dollars?! :eek:

They did nothing for my back pain a year or so ago so I still have a bottle of them in the cupboard...

:hmmm:

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

They did nothing for my back pain a year or so ago so I still have a bottle of them in the cupboard...

What mg are they? They are the most expensive drug on the street.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

They're worth that much because people out there shoot them up like heroin.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
So no luck coming off the last time??
I have a buddy who is using Suboxone right now, and says it's a fucking miracle drug.

No I haven't tried. I'm a little curious about suboxone but I just don't want to trade one dependence for another ya know? I'd rather just taper slowly.

beach tribe
08-30-2012, 12:28 PM
They're worth that much because people out there shoot them up like heroin.

That, and once they've got you, they've got you. It took me 6 tries to get clean.
It's not like any other drug. If you want to stop doing coke you just stop.
If you want to stop doing oxy, you're going to be so sick by day 3 that you'll go back.
I've never stuck a needle in my arm FTR.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 12:36 PM

No idea. They are going down the drain anyway so it doesn't matter.

Every time I have been given these for something, I wonder why they are so popular on the street. All they do to me is make it so I can't sleep and constipate the heck out of me. Not a real draw, ya know?

Do they get mixed with something? Why the big demand?

lcarus
08-30-2012, 12:39 PM

Every time I have been given these for something, I wonder why they are so popular on the street. All they do to me is make it so I can't sleep and constipate the heck out of me. Not a real draw, ya know?

Exactly right. They constipate me too. Real bad. And they either make me tired way too early or they keep me up really late and I can't sleep. It's a mixed bag as far as sleep is concerned. It really messes with my sleeping patterns. I mean for the most part it's ok, but sometimes...

Frosty
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Exactly right. They constipate me too. Real bad. And they either make me tired way too early or they keep me up really late and I can't sleep. It's a mixed bag as far as sleep is concerned. It really messes with my sleeping patterns. I mean for the most part it's ok, but sometimes...

I feel for you man, being hooked on something that sucks so bad.

I did a genetic test a year ago or so (23andme.com) and one of the traits that popped up was a high susceptibility to opiate addiction (nicotine, too) so I won't take them anymore unless absolutely necessary.

I'm having deja vu here, so I may have mentioned this before. Sorry if so.

TrickyNicky
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
that sucks, sorry to hear it Icarus.

Have you filed a police report yet? if not, get on it. it would really suck if the person that stole them got pulled over and the police found the Rx bottle with your name on it. I doubt they would just volunteer the info that they had stolen the pills.

whoman69
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Don't you love how being on pain meds makes you a criminal to be proven innocent at a later date?

Rush?!

NewChief
08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

General rule of thumb: $1 per mg for oxy.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

They said Rush Limbaugh was taking $5,000 worth of the stuff every damn day. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is...god damn.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

And you know this how? Hmmmm?

lcarus
08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

They call NewChief the Heisenberg of oxycontins...

vailpass
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM

That seems like a lot of money for a pill.
My wife has a couple quasi-friends that like those pills but they get them from a doctor. Maybe I should take their pills and put those bitches out on the track.

Nickel D
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
4 easy steps:

1 - Empty contents of prescription bottle into another container.

2 - Fill prescription bottle with laxative pills.

3 - Hide prescription bottle in a convenient location.

4 - When you notice prescription bottle is missing...LAUGH YOUR *** OFF!!!

DomCasual
08-30-2012, 03:17 PM

I bet that's how he justified it. "Man, I'm doing him a favor. This stuff is (gulping down two of them) terrible for you! I'm such a (gulping down three more) giver!"

Big Smoke
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM

He's right. A quick google search will show you.

DomCasual
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Honestly, chronic pain can last a lifetime. Having to take drugs to alleviate it would be awful. The only thing worse would be not being able to take drugs to alleviate it.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
He's right. A quick google search will show you.

Way to ruin some good natured ribbing.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
And how much do you take?

Big Smoke
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Way to ruin some good natured ribbing.

Haha. Sorry. :)

Frosty
08-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Haha. Sorry. :)

Way to ruin even more good natured ribbing.

:D

Kerberos
09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XUSDg7NSODw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kerberos
09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I went out today and bought a safe.

If it weren't for dickheads like you there wouldn't be any thievery in the world. about .23 into video. :)

Frosty
09-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Turns out they are only 5mg. Probably not worth it.

58-4ever
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Don't flush them and put them in the water supply. SMH.