PDA

View Full Version : Life thoughts about bums and vagrants

tooge
08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
So there is this guy that sits in front of the gas station I gas up at. He's late 20's or so. He wears clothes I'd describe as not dirty, but not pressed either. He wears a fedora-ish hat, baggy, sort of in style for that age, jeans, and some sort of in style-ish sneakers. He sits on a back pack, by the stop sign going into the station. He has a small cardboard sign that changes every few days that says something along the lines of "out of work, need money for food"
So yesterday, I'm gassing up, and I enter the station to grab a 12 pack of beer for tonights chiefs game. The guy is in there, and he is infront of me in line. He gets up there and puts down a 16 oz twisted tea (has alcohol) and smokes and throws a bunch of change and a few ones down to pay for it. He had this sort of smirk on his face too. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to. I wanted to tell him that I've seen him sitting there for the last two weeks and never bothered to give him shit, and now I'm glad I didn't. I wanted to tell the cashier that this dirtbag has been begging for booze and smoke money right out front, but I didn't. For some reason it's bothered me since. I'll stop by the grocery store next to the gas station this evening, and he'll be there as always, making eye contact as I stop and hoping I'll throw him a bone. Do I roll down the window and say something? Wtf is up with people?

Sofa King
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
So there is this guy that sits in front of the gas station I gas up at. He's late 20's or so. He wears clothes I'd describe as not dirty, but not pressed either. He wears a fedora-ish hat, baggy, sort of in style for that age, jeans, and some sort of in style-ish sneakers. He sits on a back pack, by the stop sign going into the station. He has a small cardboard sign that changes every few days that says something along the lines of "out of work, need money for food"
So yesterday, I'm gassing up, and I enter the station to grab a 12 pack of beer for tonights chiefs game. The guy is in there, and he is infront of me in line. He gets up there and puts down a 16 oz twisted tea (has alcohol) and smokes and throws a bunch of change and a few ones down to pay for it. He had this sort of smirk on his face too. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to. I wanted to tell him that I've seen him sitting there for the last two weeks and never bothered to give him shit, and now I'm glad I didn't. I wanted to tell the cashier that this dirtbag has been begging for booze and smoke money right out front, but I didn't. For some reason it's bothered me since. I'll stop by the grocery store next to the gas station this evening, and he'll be there as always, making eye contact as I stop and hoping I'll throw him a bone. Do I roll down the window and say something? Wtf is up with people?

You should hop out and beat his ass. Or offer him money if he agrees to fight another bum.

KC Tattoo
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Go back by and give him a tall glass of cold anti-freeze.

DMAC
08-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Also realize they have serious issues. Hence not being normal and having a job to pay for their smokes and booze like the rest of us.

seclark
08-30-2012, 11:15 AM
toss him a few teeth you've pulled and tell him to put them under his pillow.
sec

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
True bums and vagrants are often mentally ill and reclusive, the ones with signs on corners are true ****s on society and people that give them money are dumbasses. When I lived in River Market they had it down to an organized operation, where they rotate corners every few hours, had lookouts for the police and you would see them all at Grand Slam hours later.

I've personally known guys in bands, that while technically homeless, spend their days at major inner city exits collecting money and spend their nights at the bar.

Say only 1 person gives a dollar every time the light changes. That light changes a couple hundred times a day. That's a living.

Fish
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
It's legal to stab them...

Hoover
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
He is a creation of our growing entitled nation.

Why work when you can live off of others.

Why work when all you really want is a free alcoholic beverage out of life.

It doesn't piss me off that he's a beggar. It pisses me off that my government is forcing me to pay for this guys health care. Its obvious that health care is not a priority to this guy, yet I'm punished even though I've made health insurance a priority me and my family for the last 15 years.

Its bull shit. Kick him in the nuts for me, and yell "fuck Obama" when you do it.

Groves
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Is this thread your birthday gift to MOHillbilly or something?

KC Tattoo
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/TheFlashMan/hah.jpg

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 11:27 AM
The best is when they pair up with some gutter skank and their baby. That gets the wallet out for all those guilty conscious, this deed is going to bring me good karma believing dumbasses.

Strongside
08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
They'll never get Google Fiber.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Ill never give a bum or beggar cash money. I will go through a drive through and buy them a value meal though. At least I control how the money was spent

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Who cares? If people want to give him money that's their choice, anyone giving the guy money should know it's quite possible that is what he's going to spend that money on.

KC Tattoo
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj48/jprice78/jeffmoorehomeless.jpg

/ the honest Sofa King

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
He is a creation of our growing entitled nation.

Why work when you can live off of others.

Why work when all you really want is a free alcoholic beverage out of life.

It doesn't piss me off that he's a beggar. It pisses me off that my government is forcing me to pay for this guys health care. Its obvious that health care is not a priority to this guy, yet I'm punished even though I've made health insurance a priority me and my family for the last 15 years.

Its bull shit. Kick him in the nuts for me, and yell "Fu@k Obama" when you do it.

This guy has little to nothing to do with what you state, these people obviously have problems. If everyone ignored them, the bad ones would go away and have to find real employment.

Strongside
08-30-2012, 11:33 AM
There is a guy that's always on the ramp near 8th street and I-70. He has a sign that says something like 'Need money to get home. Stranded. Anything helps'...the first few times I almost felt bad for the guy. He's been there with the same sign since February. Where the hell are you trying to get to, dude? Siberia?

Der Flöprer
08-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Who cares? If people want to give him money that's their choice, anyone giving the guy money should know it's quite possible that is what he's going to spend that money on.

People are bitter they have to work for a living. It's easier to point the finger at someone not working, than it is at the people who are really taking all the money.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
People are bitter they have to work for a living. It's easier to point the finger at someone not working, than it is at the people who are really taking all the money.

I don't understand peoples fascination with these bums. It brings out fury not seen by much else. I actually like working and feel sorry for those that are in jobs they absolutely hate.

Baby Lee
08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't understand peoples fascination with these bums. It brings out fury not seen by much else. I actually like working and feel sorry for those that are in jobs they absolutely hate.

It's not the bums in general, its the guys who feel the need to give you a story. I've personally come across [insert pun here] at least 30 people over the years who've need just another $1.75 to catch the bus for a job interview.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
It's not the bums in general, its the guys who feel the need to give you a story. I've personally come across [insert pun here] at least 30 people over the years who've need just another $1.75 to catch the bus for a job interview.

I understand I've run into some of these idiots at QuikTrip. They ask for money for gas...I ask where the car is to put $5 into it...They can't show me their car..I then laugh and tell them nice try. I even saw one wait for his ride and get into a car with 3 of his buddies.

tooge
08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Wait, you guys misunderstood my OP. When I said wtf is up with people, I meant everyone else, not the bum. He's got it figured out. Free booze, no work, no hassle. I'm gonna start looking for my corner this weekend.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Ya know I don't have much in life and I wanted a goddam drink and a smoke to take the edge off. Then all of you fuckers start judging me for it. Well piss on you, I don't want your damn money!

Unless you could spare a few so I can keep my internet access... I don't want to break into the booze and smokes budget for that.

Thanks and God bless you.

listopencil
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm not directing this at you personally but your post just made me think a little bit:

I go to work, support my family. There are people higher than me in my company that make more money than me. For the most part that is because they put in more effort than I did, or made different decisions in their lives than I did. Sure some of them were luckier than me or were born into better positions than I was. I don't begrudge them their successes. I revel in mine.

I think the annoyance for these particular "bums" comes from the fact that they try to manipulate people. They try to play on your altruism. Something that, generally, is considered morally good. I consider altruism to be morally bankrupt. It's a lie. When you do good, you feel good. That's the payoff and you are always going to get it. The harsh backlash from giving money to a "bum" that is just collecting money for beer and smokes comes from the feeling that they are robbing you of that good feeling that you expect when you do good things. So just be honest with yourself about why you do charitable things. Acknowledge the payoff. Maybe this stuff won't bother you as much.

boogblaster
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
guy in wichita stands by a busy stop light beggin .. dirty cloths etc .. then see him lata at wallyworld new cloths 200 dollar pair of sneakers .. .. he's makin a decent living ... frickin dick-sniff .....

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
These bums are ****s but the real lulz are the people that feel the urge to give them a couple bucks when they are out and about and would likely dislocate a finger dialing 911 if they showed up on their block.

The irony of thinking you're helping a person out and could possibly get back some good karma by enabling and financing their addictions is hilarious.

King_Chief_Fan
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
it is what happens when people get the option of being fed instead of being taught to fish.... the guy is a product of his envrionment

stevieray
08-30-2012, 12:33 PM
you don't give with conditions, or to receive anything in return...it doesn't matter what they spend it on.

threebag02
08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
guy in wichita stands by a busy stop light beggin .. dirty cloths etc .. then see him lata at wallyworld new cloths 200 dollar pair of sneakers .. .. he's makin a decent living ... frickin dick-sniff .....

Damn BoogBlast You should have said hi. I would have bought beer. I ain't sweatin it Brah.

Just Passin' By
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Being stuck in one place for hours on end while relying on the kindness of a largely uncaring populace. If it was such a great gig, everyone here would be doing it.

Graystoke
08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Just go all Clint Eastwood on them.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Just go all Clint Eastwood on them.

Did he fire $3 or $5 or is he just happy to see me?

Baconeater
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I never give them anything. I figure with having to clean up their booze bottles and cans, cigarette butts and piss stains in the alley and parking lot behind our building, I'm doing enough for them as it is.

Baby Lee
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not directing this at you personally but your post just made me think a little bit:

I go to work, support my family. There are people higher than me in my company that make more money than me. For the most part that is because they put in more effort than I did, or made different decisions in their lives than I did. Sure some of them were luckier than me or were born into better positions than I was. I don't begrudge them their successes. I revel in mine.

I think the annoyance for these particular "bums" comes from the fact that they try to manipulate people. They try to play on your altruism. Something that, generally, is considered morally good. I consider altruism to be morally bankrupt. It's a lie. When you do good, you feel good. That's the payoff and you are always going to get it. The harsh backlash from giving money to a "bum" that is just collecting money for beer and smokes comes from the feeling that they are robbing you of that good feeling that you expect when you do good things. So just be honest with yourself about why you do charitable things. Acknowledge the payoff. Maybe this stuff won't bother you as much.

That's why when I feel the need to scratch that itch, I opt for working at a food line. It's work, not just giving money, it DOES feel good, and it DOES good. You're not passing out booze and cigarette money. You're filling empty bellies with nutrition. That's not morally bankrupt, it's win-win. Win-win-win really, if you alliance with restaurants that get rid of food that's ready to go bad.

King_Chief_Fan
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Being stuck in one place for hours on end while relying on the kindness of a largely uncaring populace. If it was such a great gig, everyone here would be doing it.

not a great gig...so why would someone want to do that instead of work for a living?

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
I've told my stories on here before, not sure if anyone remembers this one though.

I use to be homeless blah blah blah and so obviously i was always around other homeless people.

Anyhow, i spent all my time on the beach, we were literal beach bums. There was some black dude there who would go around on the strand bumming money. He did it all day everyday, panhandling from beach goers. He slept on the beach, portrayed himself as homeless, wore dirty raggedy clothes etc.

Put parked right up the street was an almost brand new shiny black Mercedes covered in a car cover. Yes, it was his. He paid for it with the disability checks he received every month.

Good times, good times.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
S He gets up there and puts down a 16 oz twisted tea (has alcohol) and smokes and throws a bunch of change and a few ones down to pay for it. He had this sort of smirk on his face too. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to. I wanted to tell him that I've seen him sitting there for the last two weeks and never bothered to give him shit, and now I'm glad I didn't. I wanted to tell the cashier that this dirtbag has been begging for booze and smoke money right out front, but I didn't. For some reason it's bothered me since. I'll stop by the grocery store next to the gas station this evening, and he'll be there as always, making eye contact as I stop and hoping I'll throw him a bone. Do I roll down the window and say something? Wtf is up with people?

It surprised you that panhandler dude bought booze and smokes?

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 01:04 PM
not a great gig...so why would someone want to do that instead of work for a living?

They simply choose to. It's easier for them. A lot of them actually collect disability as well.

This was my life when i was a homeless kid:

Wake up as soon as the sun begins to rise or a little before hand.

Walk to "Brother Benos" a shelter that would feed the Homless every morning and provide sack lunches to take for later. They also supplied donated clothes, bikes, etc. Breakfast was served between 6:30 AM - 7:30 and they also provided prison style showers. Yay.

Free food, free clothes, free showers and free laundry if needed.

From there, we would walk back to the beach where we would spend our entire day, lounging around on the shore, feeding the birds the free loafs of expired bread we got etc.

Around 2-3 Pm we would start our afternoon trek to which ever church was serving dinner that night. Monday night would a church in Vista, a neighboring town, Tuesday it would be in San Marcos, another neighboring town, etc. So we would either walk it or jump on the bus etc. Dinner was always served at 5 pm.

After Dinner, we would make our way back to our little hut we made on the river bed. As the sun set, we would go to sleep.

Rinse and repeat every single day.

A lot of these people enjoy that lifestyle, especially the ones who collect government checks every month.

It may not seem desirable to some of you, but to a lot of them, it was exactly how they wanted to live.

boogblaster
08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
They simply choose to. It's easier for them. A lot of them actually collect disability as well.

Walk to "Brother Benos" a shelter that would feed the Homless every morning and provide sack lunches to take for later. They also supplied donated clothes, bikes, etc. Breakfast was served between 6:30 AM - 7:30 and they also provided prison style showers. Yay.

From there, we would walk back to the beach where we would spend our entire day, lounging around on the shore, feeding the birds the free loafs of expired bread we got etc.

Around 2-3 Pm we would start our afternoon trek to which ever church was serving dinner that night. Monday night would a church in Vista, a neighboring town, Tuesday it would be in San Marcos, another neighboring town, etc. So we would either walk it or jump on the bus etc. Dinner was always served at 5 pm.

After Dinner, we would make our way back to our little hut we made on the river bed. As the sun set, we would go to sleep.

A lot of these people enjoy that lifestyle, especially the ones who collect government checks every month.

It may not seem desirable to some of you, but to a lot of them, it was exactly how they wanted to live.

yup when i was younger we bummed around the country .. fishing camping part-time working .. nice free life-style .. but there's more to life ....

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Fascinating.....what made you change?

blaise
08-30-2012, 02:11 PM
When I lived in DC I would give them something cold to drink. They'd be sitting there in the sun and I'd get them a cold orange pop.
One time though there was a guy outside a bagel shop asking for money for food. I went in and bought a bagel for him and came out to give it to him. He went, "Oh, man. I really wanted some McDonalds. Can't you give me cash?" I said no and kept the bagel.

Dicky McElephant
08-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Truth. Some of these people are doing exactly what they want to do.....collect money and food for doing nothing.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
One time though there was a guy outside a bagel shop asking for money for food. I went in and bought a bagel for him and came out to give it to him. He went, "Oh, man. I really wanted some McDonalds. Can't you give me cash?" I said no and kept the bagel.

Beggars cant be choosers

Dicky McElephant
08-30-2012, 02:17 PM
One thing I have done before is this:

If I see a homeless guy with a dog.....I'll go buy the dog some dog food and give it to him. The guy made a choice to live that way....the dog didn't. And it's pretty shitty to me that the guy would rather spend his money on alcohol and cigs before he buys the dog it's food.

That's actually how we got one of our dogs. My wife was coming home from work and a bum asked her for some money. He had a box with him that had two puppies. She asked if those were his dogs. He said that they were....but he'd sell them for a pack of cigarettes each. She went and bought him 2 packs and took the dogs. We kept one and we gave the other one to a friend of ours.

stevieray
08-30-2012, 02:17 PM

thanks for sharing...sounds like some chose not to be a slave to the grind....would that be correct?

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

He must have ran out of Obama bucks.

blaise
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Beggars cant be choosers

You'd think. I don't think he wanted McDonalds either, otherwise he would have been at a McDonalds. But that's why I'd only give them food or drink.

I saw a cashier at Chik Fil-A give a homeless (I think) lady a free meal the other day. It was in the mall food court. I was waiting for my food and some grubby lady came up and ordered food. She started counting coins and stuff and mumbling to herself. The cashier (some girl who was maybe 19) goes, "It's ok. I got it," and pushed the money back to the lady.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I can't go to the QuikTrip by my house anymore without getting basically harassed by a bum looking for drug money.

blaise
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I can't go to the QuikTrip by my house anymore without getting basically harassed by a bum looking for drug money.

Yeah that sucks. The bums in Buffalo used to stand in the parking lots near the bars and go, "hey man. I'll watch your car while you're in there. Make sure nothing happens to it, you know? Make sure nobody throws a bottle at it or something. $5." Implying that if you didn't give them $5 they'd do something to your car.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Ask if he has a friend that he would be willing to fight on camera for money.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah that sucks. The bums in Buffalo used to stand in the parking lots near the bars and go, "hey man. I'll watch your car while you're in there. Make sure nothing happens to it, you know? Make sure nobody throws a bottle at it or something. $5." Implying that if you didn't give them $5 they'd do something to your car.

I'd call the cops on em

vailpass
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I'd call the cops on em

In a large city? They'd laugh their ass off.

Graystoke
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't live in a big city. Do the bums still sit on intersections and wash your car windows without you asking?

vailpass
08-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't live in a big city. Do the bums still sit on intersections and wash your car windows without you asking?

The little kids do in Mexico. That's likely to get you shot here though.

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Nope, but you can still get a bean pie from the Muslims on The Paseo.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
In a large city? They'd laugh their ass off.

Calling the cops and saying there are bums in a parking lot threatening to vandalize your car if you don't give them money and they'd laugh at that? Bullshit. I'd at least tell the manager of the joint to do something about it.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Calling the cops and saying there are bums in a parking lot threatening to vandalize your car if you don't give them money and they'd laugh at that? Bullshit. I'd at least tell the manager of the joint to do something about it.

They may not deem it the most urgent use of their limited resources; at least in a larger urban area.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 02:48 PM
They may not deem it the most urgent use of their limited resources; at least in a larger urban area.

Oh this reminds me. I was at a Shell gas station after work the other day. I was at the counter and the chick working it was in tears. A cop walks in and asks her what happened. She said some bum that lives behind the place walked in and demanded a pack of cigarettes or else he'd blow the place up LOL. So she gave him the cigarettes. The cop was back behind the store looking for some bum that I don't think was there. Pretty funny.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Oh this reminds me. I was at a Shell gas station after work the other day. I was at the counter and the chick working it was in tears. A cop walks in and asks her what happened. She said some bum that lives behind the place walked in and demanded a pack of cigarettes or else he'd blow the place up LOL. So she gave him the cigarettes. The cop was back behind the store looking for some bum that I don't think was there. Pretty funny.

Strange. What do you think the real story was?

penguinz
08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I can't go to the QuikTrip by my house anymore without getting basically harassed by a bum looking for drug money.Just give him some of your Oxy! :P

lcarus
08-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Strange. What do you think the real story was?

I don't know. I believe that's what happened. I just can't believe the chick took the bum seriously enough to be in tears over it.

gblowfish
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
This weekend I'll bet there'll be lots of bums on the freeway exits dressed up as firemen, pushing boots in your window asking for money for "Jerry's Kids." What a bunch of freeloaders!!!

ThaVirus
08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
you don't give with conditions, or to receive anything in return...it doesn't matter what they spend it on.

Pretty much this.

I always give bums money. Maybe they're drug addicts and alcoholics or maybe they're going through a rough time. I don't pretend to know anything about them or their life so I just give.

listopencil
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
That's why when I feel the need to scratch that itch, I opt for working at a food line. It's work, not just giving money, it DOES feel good, and it DOES good. You're not passing out booze and cigarette money. You're filling empty bellies with nutrition. That's not morally bankrupt, it's win-win. Win-win-win really, if you alliance with restaurants that get rid of food that's ready to go bad.

Yep. It's great. You do good things and you feel like you are doing something worthwhile. Great example.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Yep. It's great. You do good things and you feel like you are doing something worthwhile. Great example.

I feel the same when I give them the cigarette I'm smoking but not before I light a fresh one off it I keep for myself.

listopencil
08-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I feel the same when I give them the cigarette I'm smoking but not before I light a fresh one off it I keep for myself.

Whatever floats your boat.

vailpass
08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

They don't get anywhere near my boat.

listopencil
08-30-2012, 03:08 PM
They don't get anywhere near my boat.

What if they offer to wash it for five bucks?

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Remember the "deposit on a cheeseburger" guy wearing the Denver Broncos jacket around KC? I blame that on Vermeil.

blaise
08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I'd call the cops on em

Maybe. But when I was 23 and out drinking at bars the last thing I wanted to do was talk to the police.

Bump
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
bums don't bother me that much.

But those people who go door to door trying to sell you magazines so they can go to cancun for spring break. I almost got into fist fights with 3 of them. Once you reject them and tell them to get the fuck outta here, sometimes they get confrontational. Lol a few years ago, I had to slam the door shut on one of them as he tried to force himself in my apartment and closed the door, grabbed a knife and called the police. The police never came btw.

Ace Gunner
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
What ever you do, don't change gas stations for a couple weeks until this douche moves to the next gold mine:D

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Fascinating.....what made you change?

Well, this wasn't a choice for me. When i was sleeping on the river bed i was between the ages of...9-11ish iirc. I was stuck with my dead beat father; my mother was dead and the rest of my family had no interest in dealing with my dad, which consequently, meant dealing with me.

Life changed for me when i finally sacked up and realized that this man was holding me back. I was starting my freshman year of HS and my teachers enrolled me in Honors/AP courses. At the time, i was living in a shitty hotel room. My dad remodeled the hotel in exchange for a free room. On top of that, he was collecting SSA checks from my Mother's death. They issued a check in his name for roughly $600.00 and one in my name for the same amount that was suppose to be used to take care of me.

Anyway, i had to go to the library to do my homework since my AP english class required everything be typed on a computer. My boiling point came when my dad wouldn't use the SSA money to purchase basic school supplies like a new folder, pens/pencils that kinda shit. It pissed me off even more that i REALLY wanted to play HS football, but my dad wouldn't even pay for my physical.

So, i sat there in the Library, realizing that despite my circumstances (half of which i haven't even begun to share), i was still in there doing my work, excelling in advanced placement classes, and this man can't even buy me pencils with free money that is suppose to be used to take care of me?

So at 15 I ran away and I haven't seen my dad or any family since. Last time i went back to my home town i found out that my Grandfather told my friends that i had Died in Fallujah. Yay.

thanks for sharing...sounds like some chose not to be a slave to the grind....would that be correct?

That's exactly what it was for a lot of these people. It was much easier for them to be homeless, not deal with the responsibility and just jump from shelter to shelter and panhandle. They wanted to live like that, because they did nothing to change it despite the many social services programs out there in our exceedingly liberal state/city.

So for a LOONG time i hated homeless people. I would give them the cold shoulder when ever someone asked for even a dime. Having lived it, i KNEW that there was no reason for these people to be begging and not taking care of themselves. There was no excuse for them to be starving or smelling like shit, i knew better, because i was once one of them. I absolutely loathed them.

blaise
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Hobos always seemed better. It's a shame train cars don't sit open like in the old movies.

Ace Gunner
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Pretty much this.

I always give bums money. Maybe they're drug addicts and alcoholics or maybe they're going through a rough time. I don't pretend to know anything about them or their life so I just give.

Me too.:toast:

Ace Gunner
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, this wasn't a choice for me. When i was sleeping on the river bed i was between the ages of...9-11ish iirc. I was stuck with my dead beat father; my mother was dead and the rest of my family had no interest in dealing with my dad, which consequently, meant dealing with me.

Life changed for me when i finally sacked up and realized that this man was holding me back. I was starting my freshman year of HS and my teachers enrolled me in Honors/AP courses. At the time, i was living in a shitty hotel room. My dad remodeled the hotel in exchange for a free room. On top of that, he was collecting SSA checks from my Mother's death. They issued a check in his name for roughly $600.00 and one in my name for the same amount that was suppose to be used to take care of me.

Anyway, i had to go to the library to do my homework since my AP english class required everything be typed on a computer. My boiling point came when my dad wouldn't use the SSA money to purchase basic school supplies like a new folder, pens/pencils that kinda shit. It pissed me off even more that i REALLY wanted to play HS football, but my dad wouldn't even pay for my physical.

So, i sat there in the Library, realizing that despite my circumstances (half of which i haven't even begun to share), i was still in there doing my work, excelling in advanced placement classes, and this man can't even buy me pencils with free money that is suppose to be used to take care of me?

So at 15 I ran away and I haven't seen my dad or any family since. Last time i went back to my home town i found out that my Grandfather told my friends that i had Died in Fallujah. Yay.

That's exactly what it was for a lot of these people. It was much easier for them to be homeless, not deal with the responsibility and just jump from shelter to shelter and panhandle. They wanted to live like that, because they did nothing to change it despite the many social services programs out there in our exceedingly liberal state/city.

So for a LOONG time i hated homeless people. I would give them the cold shoulder when ever someone asked for even a dime. Having lived it, i KNEW that there was no reason for these people to be begging and not taking care of themselves. There was no excuse for them to be starving or smelling like shit, i knew better, because i was once one of them. I absolutely loathed them.

you da man

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Pretty much this.

This is what i do now. I use to hold a grudge, not anymore. Now i actually go out of my way.

Like some comedian (can't remember whom) said, "Who am i to judge if they wanna spend the money on booze? After all, that's what ima spend it on!"

lcarus
08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
I really don't care if the bums spend the money on booze, but I personally don't give them anything.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
What if they offer to wash it for five bucks?

Then you simply reply "Hey aren't you Peyton Manning? Don't the Donkeys need you anymore?"

tooge

If they want to be lazy asses, thats fine. But don't do it on my dime. Those disability checks are supplied by people that get up everyday and WORK so that they aren't a drain on everyone else. Just for shits and grins, when I decide to plug my yard this fall, rake leaves, etc., I may go looking for a "will work for food" guy and see how serious he is.

I don't care if they want to be lazy asses. I just don't want them doing it on my dime. Most people get up every day and go to work so they aren't a drain on everyone else.

vailpass
Whatever you do, don't give them cats...

A transient accused of skinning and eating a cat while camping inside a Phoenix warehouse and music venue has been sentenced to two years in prison.

Maricopa County prosecutors say 24-year-old Russell Christopher Hofstad also was sentenced Wednesday to four years' probation after his prison term.

Hofstad guilty last month to burglary and cruelty to animals.

The building's owners reported a burglary Jan. 18 after they opened the warehouse and heard blaring music.

Police found Hofstad inside with his face painted and the cat's tail and intestines around his neck.

Hofstad told police he killed the cat because he was hungry and planned to use its skeleton as party decorations.

Police say Hofstad also told them that he decided to camp in the building because he had attended events there.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20120829phoenix-transient-gets-prison-skinning-eating-cat.html#ixzz253zcy7Yg

tooge
08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
this gets me thnking. I'll need my yard plugged and seeded this fall, as well as raked. I have several acres that will need this. I'm gonna rent an aerator. I should go find a "will work for food" guy and see how serious he is. I'd gladly smoke up a pork shoulder or two for him and buy him a case of water. I'm guessing I wouldn't get any takers.

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't care if they want to be lazy asses. I just don't want them doing it on my dime. Most people get up every day and go to work so they aren't a drain on everyone else.

Yeah....well, it's a reality. Someone is paying for these social services. You're paying for it, whether you're giving them a physical dollar or not.

blaise
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
this gets me thnking. I'll need my yard plugged and seeded this fall, as well as raked. I have several acres that will need this. I'm gonna rent an aerator. I should go find a "will work for food" guy and see how serious he is. I'd gladly smoke up a pork shoulder or two for him and buy him a case of water. I'm guessing I wouldn't get any takers.

If you lived in Texas you could just go get a couple of Mexican day laborers to knock that out for you in a jiffy.

tooge
08-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah....well, it's a reality. Someone is paying for these social services. You're paying for it, whether you're giving them a physical dollar or not.

exactly. what a bunch of selfish fucks. I mean, the ones that choose to be there and collect disability because they just "like' that lifestyle. Horseshit really. Why not make them show up to do roadwork, beach cleaning, tree trimming, trash pickup, etc in order to receive benefits. If you can walk to a church for a free meal on everyone elses dollar, then you can pick up trash along the way.

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Depends. Try a work for food guy.

Haha....STORY TIME (again)

In the winter time, the Military would vacate the Armory and move all the tanks and shit to Camp Pendelton. They would then turn the Armory into a homeless shelter and give the homeless a place to sleep.

Anyway, my dad and I were sleeping there and some "well-off" woman came to the shelter to volunteer. She noticed me and my dad and took us in to her house. She allowed us to live in an old R.V next to her home. In Exchange, my dad took care of her two acres of property for.....about a year IIRC, until my dad got back on drugs and fucked it all up.

So yeah, there are people out there that will in fact WORK for food. Might as well give it a try.

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:49 PM
If you lived in Texas you could just go get a couple of Mexican day laborers to knock that out for you in a jiffy.

Or California. Or Arizona.

Im not above paying a Mexican guy twenty bucks and a beer to do my yard work. I've done it, haha.

Dayze
08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I used to see the same dude at 71 hwy and 150 hwy; saying he was stranded; needed gas money etc. I went to the gas station nearby to get a candy bar, and noticed him walking away from his spot.
I saw him walk about 1/8 mile, get into what looked like a less than 10 year old car, and drive off.

nice. I watched a deal on 20/20 where (by consent) this guy and girl drug addicts would get up each morning as if they were going to 'work'; and the 20/20. They'd drive to a central location, and each would stand at a different spot with their 'woe is me' signs. At then of the day, they'd each have hundreds of dollars. blow it that night on smack, and do the same thing the next day. Unreal. They said they made more money that way than working for minimum wage. awesome.

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
nice. I watched a deal on 20/20 where (by consent) this guy and girl drug addicts would get up each morning as if they were going to 'work'; and the 20/20. They'd drive to a central location, and each would stand at a different spot with their 'woe is me' signs. At then of the day, they'd each have hundreds of dollars. blow it that night on smack, and do the same thing the next day. Unreal. They said they made more money that way than working for minimum wage. awesome.

Meth is a helluva drug. As a kid, i got a front row seat and watched what that shit did to people; how it would consume them. Heroin is even worse.

The first snatch that i had ever seen (In person) belonged to some 20 year old Meth whore. That nasty thing scared me for life. It was a biggo disgusting hatchet wound.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
My weirdest encounter with these guys was a few years ago when we were visiting my in-laws in Salem. The boys and I had stopped at a c store and were coming out to get in the car and this guy came strolling up the road with a huge pair of bolt cutters over his shoulder.

He came over to us and started this sob story about how his daughter needed surgery and he was selling his stuff to raise money and would sell these bolt cutters for $10. He looked really out of place as there weren't any houses around and he's just walking around with these things. It was pretty clear that he had filched them out of the back of a service truck (lots of businesses in that area).

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
My weirdest encounter with these guys was a few years ago when we were visiting my in-laws in Salem. The boys and I had stopped at a c store and were coming out to get in the car and this guy came strolling up the road with a huge pair of bolt cutters over his shoulder.

He came over to us and started this sob story about how his daughter needed surgery and he was selling his stuff to raise money and would sell these bolt cutters for $10. He looked really out of place as there weren't any houses around and he's just walking around with these things. It was pretty clear that he had filched them out of the back of a service truck (lots of businesses in that area).

Either that or he was going to use them to steal from construction sites.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Either that or he was going to use them to steal from construction sites.

That would seem more lucrative than selling them for 10 bucks.

BTW, it was around 10 am in bright sunlight, which just added to the weirdness.

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
That would seem more lucrative than selling them for 10 bucks.

BTW, it was around 10 am in bright sunlight, which just added to the weirdness.

Haha, yeah, sadly my dad and his cronies got into the business of stealing from construction sites. They made good money stealing reels of Copper etc. When i read your post that's what immediately popped in my mind.

tooge
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

heh, ten bucks for a decent pair of bolt cutters isn't bad. I'da ponied up for that.

Frosty
08-30-2012, 04:40 PM
heh, ten bucks for a decent pair of bolt cutters isn't bad. I'da ponied up for that.

It was a heck of a deal. I kind of have a thing about buying stolen merchandise, though.

Baby Lee
08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Haha, yeah, sadly my dad and his cronies got into the business of stealing from construction sites. They made good money stealing reels of Copper etc. When i read your post that's what immediately popped in my mind.

You could be an entrepreneur like Gramps. In Louisiana in the late 70's early 80's, there were still unattended dumps, basically holes in the earth out in the boonies where anyone could dump anything they didn't want any more. Gramps would take us on his dump circuit, where he'd pick up any and everything mechanical electrical, take it back home and strip all the salvageable metal out of it to resell to recyclers. My first pair of cowboy boots were from such a dump, they actually were in pretty good shape.

Ah, memories. One of the tensest times in the family came after Dad and Gramps [my Mom's Dad] found a riding lawnmower at the dump. Gramps had no interest in it, but my uncle, still then in the late teens, went on a rant about all his life he'd wanted a go-cart, and here's his sister's Bourgie husband coming along and stealing one out from under him. Uncle pouted around the shack in the way that only he could, until my dad dragged the mower off the back of the truck, threw it across the yard at my uncle, told him to 'keep the fucking thing' [my dad never curses] and we all drove off home.

tecumseh
08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I was in Indy for the combine and I swear there was at least one bum (usually more) on every downtown street corner. They moved them out for the Superbowl , but they came back in droves.

notorious
08-30-2012, 04:47 PM
When I worked security for a bank in Tulsa in the bar district while going to college, we had these leeches comb the parking lots asking for donations.

This one guy had a little card that said,"I am deaf, and am collecting money for the _______ society". He was dressed cleanly, and looked like a good kid.

Anyway, one of our regular customers was chatting with me in the parking lot gave him a buck, and after letting the guy walk about 5 feet away my customer yelled "Watch OUT!!!!"

The guy ducked. I nearly shat myself from laughing so hard. They are all scam artists in my book.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a million billion hobo stories. My favorites end with them laying face down in a pool of there own blood.

listopencil
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM

How big of a pork shoulder are we talking about?

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a million billion hobo stories. My favorites end with them laying face down in a pool of there own blood.

uh huh.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3349/hobowithashotgun9167102.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/hobowithashotgun9167102.jpg/)

MOhillbilly
08-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Had a hobo go for a knife once. He pulled out his slim Jim instead.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Insert penis jokes

Iowanian
08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
The Hunger Games seem like a better idea every day.