PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What y'all cookin for the long weekend?

tooge
08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I always make it a point to fire up the smoker and or grill whenever we have a long weekend. I'm planning on buying two salmon filets, one to smoke and one to attempt to make Lox (gravlox) by curing it. If I'm gonna go to the trouble of firing the smoker up and cleaning it, I'm gonna go ahead and smoke a packer cut brisket as well. What you got?

Ceej
08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Chicken breasts on the Foreman, bitches!!!

WHA, WHA!!!

Great Expectations
08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I made a brisket last weekend; anyone know of a place that just sells the point?

Salmon sounds good, I have some Alder wood I've been meaning to burn.

tooge
08-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I made a brisket last weekend; anyone know of a place that just sells the point?

Salmon sounds good, I have some Alder wood I've been meaning to burn.

Oooh, that alder would be awesome. I know HyVee sells the flats only, and if they sell the flats, then I would imagine they would cut the point out for you and then just trim and sell the flat by itself. Probably have to ask the butcher tho.

Flachief58
08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Tomorrow I'll be smoking up a pork loin. Saturday My buddy wants me to make chicken thighs and sausages for his FF draft. Sunday I'm thinking shrimp shish kabobs on the grill

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm with you, if I'm firing it up I'm getting my money's worth. I'm smoking a brined salmon appetizer style, a couple fatties (rolled sausage stuffed with whatever), and a brisket. I got a brisket from a family farm in NE Kansas. I honestly think the briskets at McGonigles are over trimmed. I'll likely grill some tri-tip and veg at some point.

tooge
08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm with you, if I'm firing it up I'm getting my money's worth. I'm smoking a brined salmon appetizer style, a couple fatties (rolled sausage stuffed with whatever), and a brisket. I got a brisket from a family farm in NE Kansas. I honestly think the briskets at McGonigles are over trimmed. I'll likely grill some tri-tip and veg at some point.

speaking of tri tip, a buddy of mine did the tri tip roast, then took the leftovers, sliced em real thin, and made a jous out of the original drippings. We had french dip with tri tip served on hogie rolls with a spicy gardinaire. It was the bomb.

DMAC
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Mountain Home Dehydrated Chili Mac

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I really want to crack open one of these bottles of Earthquake, so I may pick up a couple prime grade rib eyes and grill.

Flachief58
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
speaking of tri tip, a buddy of mine did the tri tip roast, then took the leftovers, sliced em real thin, and made a jous out of the original drippings. We had french dip with tri tip served on hogie rolls with a spicy gardinaire. It was the bomb.

:drool:

Detoxing
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Hrmmmm.....I think i might tinker with a home made chili this weekend.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2012, 03:44 PM

The absolute single best thing you can do for homemade chili is use homemade chile powder. Seriously.

Here's a good one to start with: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

Ceej
08-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Man, I'm a chili fanatic.

But for some reason I can only it eat during the fall or winter.

lcarus
08-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Do you use cinnamon in your chili?

Flachief58
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM

This. I wont be cooking chilli till november when it cools down a bit

Ceej
08-30-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm a novice when it comes to cooking.

By fanatic, I mean I eat the shit out of it.

Nothing is better during a cold, blistery day.

KCUnited
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM

How did he cook the tri tip? Homemade gardinaire?

Baby Lee
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Cinnamon, brown sugar, and peanut butter, have all made it into my chili at one time or another. Some people swear by grape jelly, but I'm not down with that particularly.

Ace Gunner
08-30-2012, 04:51 PM

me too but that sounds real good:D

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Cinnamon, brown sugar, and peanut butter, have all made it into my chili at one time or another. Some people swear by grape jelly, but I'm not down with that particularly.

A touch of cinnamon is a wonderful addition. Greatly improves the aroma and adds a very subtle sweetness.

Buehler445
08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
I'll be working pretty much all the time and my wife is out of town. So probably grill whatever I can find.

mlyonsd
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Smoked brisket on grilled buns
Smoked beans
Cole Slaw
Corn fritters w/honey

Just Passin' By
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
It looks like we might invite some of the relatives over on Monday, so we'll probably just go with a basic cookout.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
heed my warning, don't do the cinnamon....it'll ruin your whole weekend.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM

How much do you use? I use less than a 1/4 tsp for my entire batch, which includes 3 pounds of meat. Hardly enough to "ruin" anything.

Bwana
08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Smoking some ribs, some smoked beans, some corn on the cob, corn bread, homemade chips, slaw and beer, lots of beer. :)

Bwana
08-30-2012, 06:40 PM

This

lewdog
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
What about for those who don't get Monday off? Can we make a thread for that?

JASONSAUTO
08-30-2012, 07:07 PM
speaking of tri tip, a buddy of mine did the tri tip roast, then took the leftovers, sliced em real thin, and made a jous out of the original drippings. We had french dip with tri tip served on hogie rolls with a spicy gardinaire. It was the bomb. dude...

I've got a customer who brings me all kinds of food from Chicago.
he makes the trip every couple of Weeks and always brings me SOMETHING. Some kind of food, he picks it and brings it.

Anyways last week he brought me Italian beef, Au jous, and a big bucket of gardinaire from some butcher I think.

five lbs of beef sliced really thin.

And the gardinaire I could just sit and eat with a spoon, best I've ever had.

Just went and looked, no label on the bucket...
Today he brought me burritos. He's a fucking cool old dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
How much do you use? I use less than a 1/4 tsp for my entire batch, which includes 3 pounds of meat. Hardly enough to "ruin" anything.Chili is just like anything else, ribs, brisket, pulled pork, whatever. Make it the way you like it. There isn't a wrong way.

Edit...and if it doesn't have a little dark molasses in it, it sucks. :)

JASONSAUTO
08-30-2012, 07:11 PM
And I'm not a fan of cinnamon in my chili, but I know purple who like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
How much do you use? I use less than a 1/4 tsp for my entire batch, which includes 3 pounds of meat. Hardly enough to "ruin" anything.

you'd have to search for my thread. it was about

{................................................................................................... .......................... <that much.
}that much.
and it ruined 5# of beef.</that>

tooge
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
How did he cook the tri tip? Homemade gardinaire?

No, gardinaie was in a jar. Tri tip was grilled

|Zach|
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
This really isn't in the spirit of the the thread I am sort of busy this weekend to have some awesome cookout but I did find these pork dumplings for pretty cheap that taste fantastic after throwing them in some boiling water. I could never tire of these things.

Buehler445
08-30-2012, 09:25 PM
You all need to smoke up some brisket and put it in chili instead of hamburger. It is outstanding.

RJ
08-30-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm working every day.

Hopefully it's a profitable weekend. I'll use some of the proceeds for good eats later. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy reading this thread.

cabletech94
08-30-2012, 10:01 PM
You all need to smoke up some brisket and put it in chili instead of hamburger. It is outstanding.

i judge chili, and the best i've ever had, included brisket.
it was as close to heaven as i may ever reach.

Great Expectations
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
I like a little chocolate in my chili, but I also put some cilantro in my last great batch.

boogblaster
08-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Smokin a turkey some country ribs and brauts .. maybe some corn too .....

CHENZ A!
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
damn, man.
this.
Tomorrow I'll be smoking up a pork loin. Saturday My buddy wants me to make chicken thighs and sausages for his FF draft. Sunday I'm thinking shrimp shish kabobs on the grill

bone in, skin on, chicken thighs are one of my favorite things to cook.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-31-2012, 06:39 AM
you'd have to search for my thread. it was about

{................................................................................................... .......................... <that much.
}that much.
and it ruined 5# of beef.</that>

Heh, I remember that thread. Yeah, that much will ruin a weekend.

Graystoke
08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
We made a Tandoori Oven last week and are firing it up.
Strangest thing, you cure the inside of the oven with a puree (sp) of plain yogurt and spinach leaves.
Menu is whole chickens, chicken legs and Naan Bread.

And yes there will be plenty of craft beers.

tooge
08-31-2012, 10:08 AM
i judge chili, and the best i've ever had, included brisket.
it was as close to heaven as i may ever reach.

I'm doin the Lenexa chili cookoff next month. I may do a test run with the brisket I'm cooking tonight

Bump
08-31-2012, 10:18 AM
labor day weekend doesn't mean shit to me. It's probably my most hated holiday.

listopencil
08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Meth.

MahiMike
08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Reeeyibs man!

Dayze
08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
dude...

I've got a customer who brings me all kinds of food from Chicago.
he makes the trip every couple of Weeks and always brings me SOMETHING. Some kind of food, he picks it and brings it.

Anyways last week he brought me Italian beef, Au jous, and a big bucket of gardinaire from some butcher I think.

five lbs of beef sliced really thin.

And the gardinaire I could just sit and eat with a spoon, best I've ever had.

Just went and looked, no label on the bucket...
Today he brought me burritos. He's a ****ing cool old dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

watch out if he wants to rub your shoulders

gblowfish
08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
I've got two racks of baby back ribs I think I'll do Sunday. Also smoke some bbq beans, maybe do a turkey breast.

KCUnited
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM

If I don't feel like making burnt ends, I'll freeze my point just for chili, nachos, etc.

cdcox
09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
This:

lewdog
09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Did my cooking today.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsonsmoker.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsalldone.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I'll probably order a pizza tomorrow. I'm working a half day Monday.

lewdog
09-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I'll probably order a pizza tomorrow. I'm working a half day Monday.

I am working a full day. :(

LiveSteam
09-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Crappie fillets

Sully
09-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Crappie fillets
Chin up, little buddy!
I'm sure they aren't that bad.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I am working a full day. :(

I win.

JASONSAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
watch out if he wants to rub your shoulders

Lol, he's not THAT kind of cool old dude...
Posted via Mobile Device

mdstu
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Lol, he's not THAT kind of cool old dude...
Posted via Mobile Device

This site rated Portillo's as number 1, but I never go to Chicago without hitting Johnnie's Beef.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-best-italian-beef-sandwich-in-chicago-illinois-als-portillos.html

tooge
09-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I changed my mind. Ended up smoking a packer cut briske and two butts. Gonna make a small batch of chili tomorrow with some of the chopped brisket

GloryDayz
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
The block party that was supposed to be today (rain out) is tomorrow. Got the brisket request from the neighbor and firemen (annual visitors to the block party), so brisket it is...

JASONSAUTO
09-01-2012, 10:14 PM
This site rated Portillo's as number 1, but I never go to Chicago without hitting Johnnie's Beef.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-best-italian-beef-sandwich-in-chicago-illinois-als-portillos.html
Naw this was from a butcher shop/deli. Probably a hole in the wall place knowing this guy...

Great stuff though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
09-01-2012, 10:22 PM
This:

CAN I HAZ????

tooge
09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
The block party that was supposed to be today (rain out) is tomorrow. Got the brisket request from the neighbor and firemen (annual visitors to the block party), so brisket it is...

I tried something a little different this time you might try. Trim the large fatty pieces off the brisket in as large pieces as u can. Reserve them. Rub it and smoke it. Then half way through the cook, lay the dat pieces back on it. The smoke flavor is developed, the crust is made, then you let the fat render over it for several hours. Remove what's left of the fat pieces and slice. It was one of the better ones I've made

cdcox
09-01-2012, 10:44 PM
CAN I HAZ????

Seriously, if you were here I'd cut you a double wide.

My wife doesn't like meringue and my daughter is iffy on it. I had two small pieces tonight and plan to eat two bigger ones tomorrow (one for breakfast and one for dessert) and repeat that on Monday. If my wife and daughter don't warm up to it, there is still some pie in that plate Tuesday morning and by then it is getting iffy bacteria wise.

I'm gonna be in a diabetic coma too. Not to mention the six eggs and stick of butter. America, fuck yeah.

Predarat
09-02-2012, 10:29 AM
The weather has been fail, but so far I have got Grilled Chicken and Pork Chops in. Still want to get some grilled Sausage Biscuits for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Ben N 58men
09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Last night we had a BBQ at a friends house. Chicken breast, carne asada, and kielbasa. Lots of sides to go with it. Today we going to do chicken tacos on the grill. Can't wait until I get my weber kettle grill (22.5 grill). Right now I'm rockin' the smaller version (Smokey Joe).

When I get the bigger one, it's going to be ribs ribs and ribs.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
I tried something a little different this time you might try. Trim the large fatty pieces off the brisket in as large pieces as u can. Reserve them. Rub it and smoke it. Then half way through the cook, lay the dat pieces back on it. The smoke flavor is developed, the crust is made, then you let the fat render over it for several hours. Remove what's left of the fat pieces and slice. It was one of the better ones I've made

Read this too late, but it's now on my long list of things to try... Thanks..

Ben N 58men
09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/61473c72-af1a-ee70.jpg

I had to do it fellas. $149 at Walmart plus $6 for the Weber cover. I'm ready to rock.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Is brisket tender? I have an infrared grill I can get some smoke in.... Give me a temp and time to cook

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/61473c72-af1a-ee70.jpg

I had to do it fellas. $149 at Walmart plus $6 for the Weber cover. I'm ready to rock.

Get that girl dirty... New grill smell....only good for one day!

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Is brisket tender? I have an infrared grill I can get some smoke in.... Give me a temp and time to cook

225-230... Low and slow...

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 02:18 PM
225-230... Low and slow...

Ok let me axe you another question..

I also have an Orion Cooker/Smoker as shown in the video below

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-RNNP2sLTOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now watch this if you have time and tell me if you think this unit will work good at cooking this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5bbs1JpkgGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fried Meat Ball!
09-02-2012, 03:22 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-RNNP2sLTOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now watch this if you have time and tell me if you think this unit will work good at cooking this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5bbs1JpkgGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a friend in Baton Rouge who uses his Orion all the time for brisket and loves it. He admits Louisianians know nothing about BBQ, but he says it's tasty.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I have a friend in Baton Rouge who uses his Orion all the time for brisket and loves it. He admits Louisianians know nothing about BBQ, but he says it's tasty.

Thanks... I will try it, never cooked or ate a brisket before

Buehler445
09-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks... I will try it, never cooked or ate a brisket before

Fat cap up, cut against the grain.

KCUnited
09-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Low and slow is preferred but you can high heat a brisket at 325-375 for 4-5 hours if you foil it. I've done several, but not with your set up. You'll lose some bark but you can keep it tender.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Fat cap up, cut against the grain.

10-4 on the fat cap & against grain

Low and slow is preferred but you can high heat a brisket at 325-375 for 4-5 hours if you foil it. I've done several, but not with your set up. You'll lose some bark but you can keep it tender.

Nope, won't be any bark... Still contemplating Orion or my infrared grill .... Infrared will get some bark when it's time...

What kind of beef cut will this taste similar too if done right?

KCUnited
09-02-2012, 03:43 PM
What kind of beef cut will this taste similar too if done right?

Tri-tip roast would be somewhat similar. Pot roast if you don't do it right.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Tri-tip roast would be somewhat similar. Pot roast if you don't do it right.

Plenty of fat to make the meat tender.... Beings this cut is from the breast area and cows don't have collarbones, I have read there is alot of connective tissue here and for this connective tissue to gelantize (sp?) this takes a long slow cooking

KCUnited
09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Plenty of fat to make the meat tender.... Beings this cut is from the breast area and cows don't have collarbones, I have read there is alot of connective tissue here and for this connective tissue to gelantize (sp?) this takes a long slow cooking

As I said, low and slow is preferred, but you can cook a tender brisket at a higher heat in a shorter amount of time by using foil. As the fat and connective tissue renders, the meat cools itself, accounting for the long cooking process. Using foil expedites this process. You'll find that the higher heat method is the minority but plenty of people on the circuit use the technique as they feel they can better control the cook time.

If you have a cooker that can maintain 225 and plenty of time, I'd go low and slow. If you have a cooker that struggles to maintain a low temp or want to do a brisket without burning an entire day, you might benefit from a higher heat method.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
As I said, low and slow is preferred, but you can cook a tender brisket at a higher heat in a shorter amount of time by using foil. As the fat and connective tissue renders, the meat cools itself, accounting for the long cooking process. Using foil expedites this process. You'll find that the higher heat method is the minority but plenty of people on the circuit use the technique as they feel they can better control the cook time.

If you have a cooker that can maintain 225 and plenty of time, I'd go low and slow. If you have a cooker that struggles to maintain a low temp or want to do a brisket without burning an entire day, you might benefit from a higher heat method.

That infrared cooker can maintain that temp perfectly and smoke a pile of wood chips on the other side... I am gonna do this ....

Ben N 58men
09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Get that girl dirty... New grill smell....only good for one day!

Yes sir, I'm going ribs to break it in.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Tonight I am cooking a big fat chuck eye on the grill... Poor mans Ribeye...

Fried Meat Ball!
09-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Along with tonight's wine tasting, ribeye and corn on the cob. Maybe the best steak I've ever cooked. Used an improvised rub of salt, pepper, garlic, coffee and chipotle powder, and it came out perfectly medium rare.

3rd&48ers
09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Along with tonight's wine tasting, ribeye and corn on the cob. Maybe the best steak I've ever cooked. Used an improvised rub of salt, pepper, garlic, coffee and chipotle powder, and it came out perfectly medium rare.

My copycat recipe that is EXCELLENT on steaks

1 Tablespoon Salt
1 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
1 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Coriander

jspchief
09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Just put a 10.5 lb brisket on. It was too big for my smoker, so I had to roll it up the sides. Hope it comes out ok.

GloryDayz
09-03-2012, 08:14 AM

Not sure what the temp is, but the second video did little to sell me on it. That being said....I'd try it...

Predarat
09-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Not a good weekend for grilling here, but got some in.

Lzen
09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm doing beef ribs, spare ribs, and brisket. I'm still an amateur at this (first time doing brisket) but I think they're gonna be delicious.

jspchief
09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm doing beef ribs, spare ribs, and brisket. I'm still an amateur at this (first time doing brisket) but I think they're gonna be delicious.Brisket can be a tricky piece of meat.

If you got a full brisket (point and flat), be sure and youtube a video on cutting it. It's important to remove the point before slicing.

Lzen
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I did. steaks last night. I have a bad habit of over cooking them but these I made sure to cook on low heat and they were nice, delicious, medium rare. Mmmmm juicy.

Lzen
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Brisket can be a tricky piece of meat.

If you got a full brisket (point and flat), be sure and youtube a video on cutting it. It's important to remove the point before slicing.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to check that out.

Lzen
09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
U have maintained the brisket temp at about 180. Been on the grill since noon.

cdcox
09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm out on my driveway cookin' brats and dogs. Only having Donger as a neighbor could make my life better at this moment.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
My copycat recipe that is EXCELLENT on steaks

1 Tablespoon Salt
1 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
1 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Coriander

Copycat of what?

MahiMike
09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Cookin' ribs is like fishin'. Works best if you leave it alone and let it sit a long time. 4 hrs on the big green egg and they turned out awesome. Yum!

Coogs
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I did. steaks last night. I have a bad habit of over cooking them but these I made sure to cook on low heat and they were nice, delicious, medium rare. Mmmmm juicy.

Try them on extremely hot for a short amount of time. Few minutes... flip. Few minutes... take off grill. Few minutes... enjoy.

3rd&48ers
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Mmmmm

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Mmmmm

Don't they teach you raider fans how to use the right side of the plate?
Posted via Mobile Device