PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Device Advice

NewChief
08-31-2012, 09:56 AM
A coworker asked me for advice, so I'm asking you all:

He has lots of game cameras (both video and still) on his land out in the middle of BFE. Currently he uses his laptop to travel around to them and download the stuff off the SD cards. He'd like a smaller device than a laptop to serve this function.

Requirements:
1) Battery life (since he's off the grid when he spends weekends out there).
2) USB or build-in SD Reader
3) Web compatible so he can share his videos.
4) Decent size storage, since he'll likely load up quite a few vids and pics before removing them.

Suggestions? I thought the Nexus 7 might be the answer, but I'll entertain other suggestions.

Thanks.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
biggest question will be battery life. A lot of Android tablets suck juice. The SD card will determine the storage capacity. Also, if he's off the grid, unless he tethers via cell phone (assuming service) then he won't have web access.

NewChief
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
biggest question will be battery life. A lot of Android tablets suck juice. The SD card will determine the storage capacity. Also, if he's off the grid, unless he tethers via cell phone (assuming service) then he won't have web access.

His land is off the grid (which he goes to on the weekends and stays at a lot in the summer). I assume he'll be returning to WiFi land in town when he wants to actually get on the internet.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
the Nexus looks to have good battery life. The Kindle Fire 2 drops September 6, so he could look at that as well.

TrebMaxx
09-01-2012, 01:00 PM
He could also just purchase enough SD cards so he has two for each device. Make the rounds and pull SD card with data and replace with empty SD card. Then he could still use the laptop at home base. Might be cheaper than a new device depending on the number/capacity of cards that he would need.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-01-2012, 01:35 PM
one consideration (if your posts are truthful) is that ASFAIK FDIC insures bank deposits up to $250,000 but NCUA only insures $100k.

Brock
09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I have the same situation. I was wondering if a phone might be the way to go, although obviously the size of the screen wouldn't be great. Maybe a kindle?

Brock
09-01-2012, 01:53 PM
He could also just purchase enough SD cards so he has two for each device. Make the rounds and pull SD card with data and replace with empty SD card. Then he could still use the laptop at home base. Might be cheaper than a new device depending on the number/capacity of cards that he would need.

The problem with that is if you want to call the cops because of theft or whatever, you want to do it then and there.

KChiefer
09-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I like my Acer iconia tablet. Has internal memory, SD slot, USB, mini HDMI. 10" screen. They have a version that supports 3g wireless as do other tablets. Battery is good to me, keep it dim, can last a weekend of moderate use. May be hard to find a car charger for it though, I've never looked.

Can't beat apple's anti-fingerprint coating though.

BigMeatballDave
09-01-2012, 10:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Samsung_Galaxy_Note.jpg/461px-Samsung_Galaxy_Note.jpgGalaxy Note. 5.3" screen. 16GB of internal storage plus SD card.
Not sure about battery, but I've had a few Samsung devices and that has never been an issue. I believe it comes with a 2100 mAh battery.