PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Myth: The depth on this team sucks

SNR
08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
People have been bitching all offseason about the depth on this team. The depth on this team is fine. We're short at one or two positions. Who the fuck isn't? Our biggest problem is and always has been that our QBs suck.

Take CB for example, which everybody has been bitching about. The team isn't going to keep around Jacques Reeves, Tysyn Hartman, or any other dickless grocery bagger. We're going to go 5-deep at that position like we always have. That leaves us with this:

Flowers
Routt
Daniels
Arenas
Brown
(sometimes) Menzie

I count two starters, a VERY solid veteran in Daniels, a nickel CB, and two inexperienced draft picks Brown and Menzie.

You can complain about how Menzie is a broke dick or how Brown sucked as a starting CB this preseason. You know the funny thing? If we're down to Jalil fucking Brown in the regular season, we don't have a CB depth problem, we have an injury problem. There isn't a single other team in the NFL who would feel comfortable starting their 5th CB in a game. That's because teams don't have the luxury of putting in 1st and 2nd rounders out there as depth, or middle aged veterans who don't suck ass.

That means our depth, just like everything else, isn't necessarily bad or untalented- it's just young. We don't have rookie free agents out there. We invested draft picks in all of those backups except for Daniels. Yes, those players need to improve, but it's their 2nd fucking year. Most of you had more patience for Matt fucking Cassel in his 2nd year than you do for a 2nd year 4th round CB.

The point is, that's what all the great teams do. The Steelers, Packers, Ravens, everybody. They DRAFT their depth. And that's what we've done in the secondary. If they don't look like world-beater all-pros yet, that's because they're 1st and 2nd year middle-round draft picks.

There are all of two areas that we don't have solid depth- one of the OLB positions, one safety spot, and both ILB spots. And QB. That's fucking it. Name another position. Offensive line? Drafted depth. Defensive line? Drafted depth.

We don't need a draft re-haul, and we don't need to go to the magic depth store that all the other teams go to. Those spots where we need depth will be taken care of in the goddamned draft.

In the meantime, Matt Cassel still sucks.

Nightfyre
08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
spread the truth unto the masses brother SNR. Let not the unbelievers trample a mosg holy Sunday with their heresy.

SNR
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Lastly, if you still say we need depth at CB, then you acknowledge that we should just flat out cut Brown, Arenas, Bailey, and others like that and start over with more fucking rookies for you to bitch about when they're not playing at a starter-quality level by their 2nd year.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Good post man. We are deep as hell. The only thing I disagree with is Reeves. He's a lock imo. Daniels is a safety now. I would like to see us sign a safety so he could move back to corner.

SNR
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Good post man. We are deep as hell. The only thing I disagree with is Reeves. He's a lock imo. Daniels is a safety now. I would like to see us sign a safety so he could move back to corner.

Daniels does both. If Flowers is still injured into the regular season, the Chiefs will compensate by starting Daniels where he is most needed.

Pestilence
08-31-2012, 02:09 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/2384675_o.gif

Von Dumbass
08-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I like Arenas. I wouldn't mind having him in Denver. I liked Bernard Pollard too and he was hated on this site for some reason.

htismaqe
08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Where's Fenner?

He should be starting.

stevieray
08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
nice post.

also, youngest team in the league...

htismaqe
08-31-2012, 02:22 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yZ0xOxyiYHk/Tasi0MuC9iI/AAAAAAAAACQ/8XKmtY2EwOo/s1600/SLRfullblg.png

Discuss Thrower
08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
/\ That

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Daniels does both. If Flowers is still injured into the regular season, the Chiefs will compensate by starting Daniels where he is most needed.

I hope so. If someone has to start for Flowers, I hope it is Daniels. However, I don't think he's played CB once this preseason. If he was going to, I would have thought he would have last night.

htismaqe
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry about the pic guys. I couldn't help myself. :D

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
what about the o-line depth? QB-depth? LBer depth?

secondary isnt the only position on this team

I agree we are deep at see WR, TE, RB, maybe even d-line if they want to show up that week or not. But something like LBer depth will show it's true colors week 1 without Tamba Hali. Any consistency out of Andy Studebaker? durability out of Cam Sheffield? and who in the blue hell is Edgar Jones? And god forbid if DJ is actually hurt and misses time, we are fucked at MLBer.

Buckweath
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
There's a reason why so many analysts predict the Chiefs to win the AFC West, it's because the starting units, save for the QB are very good and the depth is good too.

That being said, as the preseason might have shown, the immediate depth is good (if you know what I mean) but beyond that, there are/were some terrible players on that 90+ roster, far worse than other teams'.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Why you gotta throw Hartman under the bus?

MahiMike
08-31-2012, 02:36 PM
The proof is in the preseason games. Once our starters come out, we get blown away. That's called depth issues.

O.city
08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
It really wouldn't matter what depth we had behind Tampa and DJ, you lose two guys who are arguably top 5 guys at their position it's gonna hurt.

You guys think the ravens are gonna be able to replace Suggs production

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 02:46 PM
It really wouldn't matter what depth we had behind Tampa and DJ, you lose two guys who are arguably top 5 guys at their position it's gonna hurt.

You guys think the ravens are gonna be able to replace Suggs production

uhh yeah

they addressed a need and depth and drafted Courtney Upshaw in the 2nd fucking round.

Imagine that concept.

SNR
08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
what about the o-line depth? QB-depth? LBer depth?

secondary isnt the only position on this team
Do you know how to read?

O-line depth was a pretty crucial hole last year. Guess what we did? We fixed the fuck out of it.

Again, apologies if Stephenson and Allen aren't in the HOF yet. But I really don't know what the fuck you would have us do about the offensive line. We addressed that need through the draft. If you're still complaining about the offensive line, you can't be helped.

Hell, and I didn't even LIKE the Stephenson pick.

O.city
08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Upshaw is gonna replace the productivity of arguably the best defensive player in the nfl

Sure. Had we drafted a replacement for Tampa or DJ in the second round this place would have shit

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 02:52 PM
no we just draft midgets in the 2nd round and project tackles in the 3rd over starting rookie QBs better than any on our roster

bevischief
08-31-2012, 02:54 PM
:popcorn:

O.city
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
We did exactly the same thing the ravens did for suggs, with Albert spot

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 02:56 PM
We did exactly the same thing the ravens did for suggs, with Albert spot

I didnt know Albert blew his leg out in the offseason

I think what we did for Albert in case Pioli manages to **** that up in the offseason and lets him walk, or doesnt want to pony up the cash to pay him, we have 25 lineman to groom as insurance.

SNR
08-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Defensive backs drafted during Pioli's drafts:

2009:
4th round- Donald Washington

2010:
1st round- Eric Berry
2nd round- Javier Arenas
5th round- Kendrick Lewis

2011:
4th round- Jalil Brown

2012:
5th round- DaQuan Menzie

Can't say this team isn't concerned about depth at defensive back. And even then, I already acknowledged we're a bit short at safety. Can't have everything, once again. Every single team is short on depth for at least two or three positions. There's no way around it.

Once again, I'm FAR more worried about this team's reluctance to draft QBs than I am their reluctance to fix every single fucking depth hole on the team in one offseason like mcaj expects

SNR
08-31-2012, 02:58 PM
The proof is in the preseason games. Once our starters come out, we get blown away. That's called depth issues.

Tell me how to fix the depth issues.

Do you think we should... oh, I don't know... DRAFT OUR DEPTH PLAYERS????????//////

O.city
08-31-2012, 02:58 PM
I didnt know Albert blew his leg out in the offseason

I think we did the same thing for Albert in case Pioli manages to **** that up in the offseason and lets him walk, or doesnt want to pony up the cash to pay him, we have 25 lineman to groom as insurance.

Then Upshaw wasn't a depth pick he was picked to start

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Then Upshaw wasn't a depth pick he was picked to start

but you said the Ravens didnt attempt to address the production. A team like that does.

Von Dumbass
Upshaw was drafted to replace Jarrett Johnson who is a very good player.

O.city
I guess we should have known we would have injuries to our star starting lbs and drafted accordingly

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Places where we're short on backups:

FS
OLB
Both ILB

Can ya'll name any others? I'm not listing QB since all of our QBs are backups anyway. That's a giant fucking mess where fixing the depth ain't going to fix the problem.

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
no because Paul Kruger starts in Johnson's spot.

Upshaw was drafted to help buffer the loss of Suggs as the rushbacker. Along with other picks like Sergio Kindle they hope still pan out.

while we have Andy Studebaker who will get washed out of every play against Atlanta

Pestilence
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Upshaw hurt his shoulder.....again.

O.city
I said do you think the ravens will be able to replace Suggs production

CoMoChief
Stephenson has a LOOOOOOOOOOONG ways to go.

My god he's played like shit in this preseason.

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Places where we're short on backups:

FS
OLB
Both ILB

Can ya'll name any others? I'm not listing QB since all of our QBs are backups anyway. That's a giant ****ing mess where fixing the depth ain't going to fix the problem.

it's not bad considering we are 2 years removed from starting guys like Chris Chambers at WR2 and Leonard Pope at TE. and 1 year from Sabby @ SS (lol)

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
no we just draft midgets in the 2nd round and project tackles in the 3rd over starting rookie QBs better than any on our roster

Wow, if I had your premature hindsight, I could look like I know what I'm talking about too!

O.city
08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Like the ravens we drafted Sheffield to be a backup in that spot he like kindle hasn't panned out

Just Passin' By
08-31-2012, 03:05 PM

:facepalm:

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Stephenson has a LOOOOOOOOOOONG ways to go.

My god he's played like shit in this preseason.
Which the Chiefs knew was the case when they drafted him.

I'm not defending the pick. I still don't like it. But it's absolutely retarded to think backup OT is now a NEED in next year's draft. Doesn't mean we can't draft one. If the best tackle is there for the best value, then absolutely, take him.

Until then, our depth at tackle is pretty solid.

Also, Mims has had a pretty good preseason at RT. The guy has really improved. I don't think we have room for him on our 53-man roster, but he also represents some of the solid talent we've been able to acquire at the backup offensive line.

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Like the ravens we drafted Sheffield to be a backup in that spot he like kindle hasn't panned out

Looks pretty good when he's healthy, now.

I imagine the "if he's healthy" line will be something that plagues him for his entire career, but at least he's not Studebaker. Sheffield sufficiently fulfills a solid backup spot at OLB.

MahiMike
08-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Tell me how to fix the depth issues.

Do you think we should... oh, I don't know... DRAFT OUR DEPTH PLAYERS????????//////

Yeah man! Just takes time.

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Okay, so Menzie kind of leaves us boned at safety. That's a bit of an owie we sustained.

mcaj22
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
ill give you a pass SNR and we can call it a push but fact remains we need some sort of CB or safety depth (I thought this was obvious in preseason with lingering injuries to Flowers, Daniels, Lewis and Menzie but...) especially if they need keep Donald Washington or Jacques Reeves on the final 53. (I think you and I will both say cuss words at either)

SNR
08-31-2012, 03:34 PM
ill give you a pass SNR and we can call it a push but fact remains we need some sort of CB or safety depth (I thought this was obvious in preseason with lingering injuries to Flowers, Daniels, Lewis and Menzie but...) especially if they need keep Donald Washington or Jacques Reeves on the final 53. (I think you and I will both say cuss words at either)

The Giants had a string of bad luck in the regular season last year where like 3 of their top 4 CBs were injured for a few games. Their secondary looked atrocious. Like they had no depth at all.

Then those players got healthy and their pass defense went back to being pretty good.

What could possibly be the moral of the story here.... maybe losing 2 starters to your secondary and 4 altogether makes you significantly weaker at that position???

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 03:35 PM
They'll still bitch man. They are 4 deep with superstars at every position at Madden. I really don't think people pay attention to other rosters around the league.

Just Passin' By
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
They'll still bitch man. They are 4 deep with superstars at every position at Madden. I really don't think people pay attention to other rosters around the league.

They forget that every team misses a lot in the draft, too.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Yeah, you'd think 80 percent of 2nd and 3rd rounders are pro bowl caliber players according to the brainchilds. Having a solid contributor is bad even though the bust rate is well over 50 percent in these rounds.

htismaqe
08-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Statements like this are why people thought for years that I was on Carl Peterson's payroll.

Just Passin' By
08-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah, you'd think 80 percent of 2nd and 3rd rounders are pro bowl caliber players according to the brainchilds. Having a solid contributor is bad even though the bust rate is well over 50 percent in these rounds.

Statements like this are why people thought for years that I was on Carl Peterson's payroll.

Casserly did a study about the draft, although it's limited to players who become starters as opposed to just contributors:

I did a 10-year study on the draft to judge the success rate of players selected in each round. I defined a successful player as one who is starting four years after being drafted. Four years gives him a chance to prove himself, and if you are not starting after four years you will probably be replaced on the roster. The results were as follows:

Round 1 -- 75 percent
Round 2 -- 50 percent
Round 3 -- 30 percent
Round 4 -- 25 percent
Round 5 -- 20 percent
Round 6 -- 9 percent
Round 7 -- 9 percent

http://www.aolnews.com/2007/05/14/charley-casserly-and-mr-spock-separated-at-birth/

I think people have gotten so short term in their thinking that they ignore this.

SNR
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
A really easy way to improve ILB depth:

The Giants cut Greg Jones.

Dude isn't that far removed from the draft. No clue if he's an injury headache or what, but he was being touted as a 2nd and 3rd rounder not too long ago.

We definitely should pick him up.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
yea, that's why our defense got raped the second our starters left ... because our depth is good, only our QB's suck.

I can see how people would think that it's our QB's fault that we have WR's running around without a defender within camera shot.

This stupid ****ing myth that our QB's make our defense suck is just complete and utter horseshit.

If our defense stops letting every offense covert on 3rd and 30 then they won't be on the field long enough to be tired. 90% of the time a defense only gets worn out when they aren't good enough to stop the offense.

SNR
08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
yea, that's why our defense got raped the second our starters left ... because our depth is good, only our QB's suck.

I can see how people would think that it's our QB's fault that we have WR's running around without a defender within camera shot.

This stupid ****ing myth that our QB's make our defense suck is just complete and utter horseshit.

If our defense stops letting every offense covert on 3rd and 30 then they won't be on the field long enough to be tired. 90% of the time a defense only gets worn out when they aren't good enough to stop the offense.
You seem angry. Have you tried alcohol?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Can't believe all the people flipping out over a 4th preseason game and the play of a bunch of future burger flippers.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
You seem angry. Have you tried alcohol?
yes, lots and it didn't work.

:huh:

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
It'll be worse for the guys not making the team. Has to suck having your dreams smashed like that.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Can't believe all the people flipping out over a 4th preseason game and the play of a bunch of future burger flippers.
i look forward to our first playoff win in the last 100 years then.

thanks for the pickmeup :thumb:

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
i look forward to our first playoff win in the last 100 years then.

thanks for the pickmeup :thumb:

They've got a shot, keep your head up. Alot of steam behind this bandwagon from all sorts of "talking heads" :)

Von Dumbass
08-31-2012, 04:41 PM

The last 3 preseason games the Chiefs played were an absolute abortion. The Cardinals played their starters the entire first quarter against Denvers scrubs and the Cardinals STILL lost.

Knowshon averaged 7 yards per carry behind Denver's 2nd team OL against the Cardinals' FIRST team.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-31-2012, 04:43 PM
The last 3 preseason games the Chiefs played were an absolute abortion. The Cardinals played their starters the entire first quarter against Denvers scrubs and the Cardinals STILL lost.

Good for them, I don't give a fuck about preseason. Can't wait to see the look on Donkey fans face when Potato Head goes down.

Saccopoo
08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
A really easy way to improve ILB depth:

The Giants cut Greg Jones.

Dude isn't that far removed from the draft. No clue if he's an injury headache or what, but he was being touted as a 2nd and 3rd rounder not too long ago.

We definitely should pick him up.

Greg Jones is probably too small to be effective in a 3-4, but he was a hell of a college player. Very instinctive.

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Here we go again...

KC Tattoo
08-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Here we go again...

Going down the only road we've ever known...

bevischief
08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
We need more midgets...

Chocolate Hog
08-31-2012, 05:41 PM
The depth on this team sucks and this thread is a joke.

No depth at qb or offensive line.
No depth at nose tackle or olb.

Those are the 3 most important positions.

SNR
08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
The depth on this team sucks and this thread is a joke.

No depth at qb[QUOTE]Is there an echo in here?

[QUOTE=billay;8869083] or offensive line.
No depth at nose tackle or olb.
ur dum

Chocolate Hog
08-31-2012, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=billay;8869083]The depth on this team sucks and this thread is a joke.

No depth at qb[QUOTE]Is there an echo in here?

ur dum

Ricky Stanzi.

SNR
08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Ricky Stanzi.
Give me some evidence against my argument or go eat some more donuts, fatty.