PDA

View Full Version : Computers Dell AC Adapter Type Cannot Be Determined

Buck
09-01-2012, 12:56 PM
So my laptop has been busted for a while, it wouldn't charge or even turn on when the adapter was plugged in, and it felt loose when I tried plugging it in.

So basically without knowing a lick about what the inside of a laptop looks like, I took it apart piece by piece until I found the power jack. To my great delight, the power jack was literally the most buried thing in the entire laptop. I literally had to take everything out of the chassis other than the fan lol.

Just for the record, this is what the little power-board looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/DMmVT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5Gww5.jpg

So I got all the way to that part and took it out and looked at it and I couldn't see anything wrong with it, I plugged my AC Adapter into it and it fit snug, so I figured I would put all the shit back together and pray.

Well, I'm happy to say that the laptop turns on when the charger is plugged in, but the computer doesn't charge because it doesn't reccognize the AC Adapter.

Anyone ever have this problem? I'm not sure if I need a new adapter or a new power-jack board. Thoughts?

Buck
09-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Well I just found this post searching the internet, and now basically my whole thought on this is FUCK DELL.

Unfortunately, I know this well - been looking for the same answer, and I guess I just got it - it is not possible to fix the dell bios for this. http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast...stery-revealed is one article. Dell put a chip in their adapter to communicate with a chip in the motherboard of the laptop. This is via the middle pin and the wiring is prone to damage, as are the chips in both ends. Of course, they tell no one about this extortion. If your laptop decides that you are not using a dell adapter (look at the bios on the page for battery, at the top you'll see "unknown" for adapter), then it slows down the CPU (mine went from 1600mhz to 600mhz) and refuse to let you charge the battery.

Because customers (let's call them....marks...), don't know this, when something damages the wire, apparently extremely easy to do, or one of the chips, also very easy, they will go out and buy a battery - oops, didn't fix it? go out and buy a dell adapter. Oops, didn't fix it, go out and buy a dell motherboard..$$$$ ouch.. And all because the bios (I still am not sure if the charging is stopped by the bios or hardware - had hoped bios and that it could be fix -- would love to have confirmation that I should stop looking because the bios cannot be fixed, or other answer) purposely sabotages your laptop!!!

So, if you are real lucky, a new dell ac adapter will fix this. My pa-10 blew out - it was the original that I had with this laptop - and it wasn't overloaded, just flickered not even hooked up and died. I have 2 pa-12's and neither fixes it for me, and, of course, 3 batteries as I assumed it was them <ahem>. I found nch software to override the cpu speed, but nothing to fix the charging.

You can buy a separate charger for the battery. I think it is about $30. You hook the battery to it externally to charge it.

Annoying, no? Yep. Really ticks me off that they would do this to their customers -- Oh, I will never be a dell customer again - and I buy machines for the office and elsewhere. Class action comes to mind <sigh>..

So, be sure that if you are going to try a new adapter, that it is absolutely a real Dell charger - the chip has locked "proprietary" code in it. Sucks, eh?

So, can someone definitively say that this is in the bios and/or it can/cannot be fixed? The time I've spent on this, I could have gone out and bought a decent <ahem> Toshiba laptop to replace it... ;-) Thanks!

jspchief
09-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Well I just found this post searching the internet, and now basically my whole thought on this is FUCK DELL.

Yep. Dell is notorious for their use of proprietary parts.

Psyko Tek
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
dude?
you got a dell?

Miles
09-01-2012, 08:13 PM
My POS XPS does the same thing. If I rotate the connector while connecting or push it back and forth a little it eventually will recognize it.

DaneMcCloud
09-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Check the serial number on the transmografyre and get back to me. I may know exactly what you need.

Buck
09-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Check the serial number on the transmografyre and get back to me. I may know exactly what you need.

Not sure if you're offering to help or just making a reference.

DaneMcCloud
09-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Not sure if you're offering to help or just making a reference.

Neither!

:D

Just fuckin' around, Dude. Good luck with your part!

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Which exact model Dell? Have you tried flashing the latest BIOS just to see? Or simply resetting the NVRAM?

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 03:04 AM
ALSO.. are you seeing the "adapter not recognized" in the BIOS or in Device Manager? If it's Device Manager, try the old remove it/uninstall then reinstall/search for hardware. That is a VERY unlikely solution but worth a random shot.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 03:06 AM
ALSO ALSO.. is it still fitting snugly now that you have reassembled it? If not, you need to fix that regardless... or you'll probably have the issue again down the road.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 03:09 AM
ALSO.. are you seeing the "adapter not recognized" in the BIOS or in Device Manager? If it's Device Manager, try the old remove it/uninstall then reinstall/search for hardware. That is a VERY unlikely solution but worth a random shot.

ALSO ALSO ALSO.. if you try this solution make sure you remove anything that looks remotely related to battery or charging. Then "Scan for hardware" or whatever it is called on your system.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 03:16 AM
If I had to guess... it sounds like your connection is still shaky and you need to a)get a snug connection AND b)clean all the related contacts.

To clean the contacts you can either use isopropyl alcohol or just mechanically abrade them if you can get to them.

Stryker
09-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Which exact model Dell? Have you tried flashing the latest BIOS just to see? Or simply resetting the NVRAM?

That was my first thought as well. Flashing the Bios would hopefully "reset" it.

DaFace
09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
That means the little pin in the center of your adapter isn't making contact. It's completely and utterly obnoxious. Most of the time, though, I've found that replacing the adapter will take care of it, so try that before you start thinking of throwing the lappy out the window.

Buck
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I think its what DaFace said, but it's a Dell Studio 1737. How do I flash the BiOS to check?

Here's the error message.

http://www.imgur.com/Ou3vG.jpeg

Buck
09-02-2012, 01:14 PM
It won't let me flash the BIOS because of the low battery so I need to figure out another way to charge my battery.

DaFace
09-02-2012, 01:28 PM
It won't let me flash the BIOS because of the low battery so I need to figure out another way to charge my battery.

Know anyone else with a Dell laptop? They've used that same adapter type for quite a while now.

I've run across this pretty frequently at work (all Dell laptops). I won't say that it CAN'T be the BIOS, but that's not been the issue when I've dealt with it in the past.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 09:06 PM
That means the little pin in the center of your adapter isn't making contact. It's completely and utterly obnoxious. Most of the time, though, I've found that replacing the adapter will take care of it, so try that before you start thinking of throwing the lappy out the window.

I tend to agree.. but it may not be an issue with the adapter at all.. it could simply be a faulty connection.

I STRONGLY recommend the steps in my post about getting a snug connection and cleaning/abrading the contacts.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Think of it this way... ever have a remote control where you have to push REALLY hard on the buttons to get it to work? That's because the contacts (totally different type though) are either worn or more likely dirty. In your case, you don't have a place to "push hard", so your best bet is to just clean them hope for the best.

Buck
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I took the laptop and Charger to a friends house.

His charger wouldn't work on my laptop and my my charger did work on his.

It's either my mobo or the DC Power Jack.

Buck
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I tend to agree.. but it may not be an issue with the adapter at all.. it could simply be a faulty connection.

I STRONGLY recommend the steps in my post about getting a snug connection and cleaning/abrading the contacts.

There is a very snug connection, but i'll try cleaning too.

See my previous comment though.

AustinChief
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
There is a very snug connection, but i'll try cleaning too.

See my previous comment though.

yep, sounds like it is either the connection itself (clean it and try to push it in really solid and hold it and see if that changes anything) or the power jack.

Good luck!