PDA

View Full Version : Money Bank or Credit Union

3rd&48ers
09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I am getting tired of my bank, even though I am exempt from charges because of my balance they still try to sneak charges in on me that I have to watch for and I always get removed...

Who is with a credit union and why do you choose them over a bank?

BCD
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
What?

I figured you'd have your cash stuffed in your mattress.

Bowser
09-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I have my millions in the Caymans.

Stewie
09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Credit Union here. Been there for 20+ years. Basically there are no fees for anything. Free checking, low rates, Internet everything, simple transfers, etc.

Why anyone would trust the banksters with their money is beyond me. They nickel and dime millions and millions of unaware customers for huge salaries. No thanks.

3rd&48ers
09-01-2012, 12:28 PM
What?

I figured you'd have your cash stuffed in your mattress.

Actually I thought about putting into my safe but thats too risky

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I am getting tired of my bank, even though I am exempt from charges because of my balance they still try to sneak charges in on me that I have to watch for and I always get removed...

Who is with a credit union and why do you choose them over a bank?

if you can use a credit union, it makes sense to join one. the only downside with a cu is that they don't provide the convinience of a big national bank. Otherwise, they are a great way to go for loans and what not. Also, if you are trying to establish credit, a credit union is a great way to go also.

3rd&48ers
Credit Union here. Been there for 20+ years. Basically there are no fees for anything. Free checking, low rates, Internet everything, simple transfers, etc.

Why anyone would trust the banksters with their money is beyond me. They nickel and dime millions and millions of unaware customers for huge salaries. No thanks.

I am getting ready to make the move

3rd&48ers
if you can use a credit union, it makes sense to join one. the only downside with a cu is that they don't provide the convinience of a big national bank. Otherwise, they are a great way to go for loans and what not. Also, if you are trying to establish credit, a credit union is a great way to go also.

All I want is a debit card and a credit card that I pay off every month....

threebag02
09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Two banks Two Credit Unions

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2012, 12:33 PM
All I want is a debit card and a credit card that I pay off every month....

personally, I'd go with a credit union. If you don't like it you can always go with a bank. But I'm of the opinion that the banks, especially the big national banks, are part of the problem and I hate the fact that we bailed these asshats out and yet they still aren't loaning money to small businesses.

JMHO, but go with the credit union if you can.

3rd&48ers
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
personally, I'd go with a credit union. If you don't like it you can always go with a bank. But I'm of the opinion that the banks, especially the big national banks, are part of the problem and I hate the fact that we bailed these asshats out and yet they still aren't loaning money to small businesses.

JMHO, but go with the credit union if you can.

Thanks, I notice their interest rates are better than the banks too

Setsuna
09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Credit Union. Banks are more convenient, but less reliable.

Had Bank of America. Left those bastards. Went to VyStar. Love it.

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I notice their interest rates are better than the banks too

I've been a member of a credit union for about 15 years and if I need a loan, I go to them. I also have a savings and checking account with a big national bank for the convinience of it and I established my account with them like 22 years ago. The thing is, I established the account with a small bank in Colorado and then it was bought by Norwest (a great bank, the best big bank ever) and then Norwest was bought out by Wells Fargo so now it's a Wells Fargo account.

I don't like Wells Fargo, they got bailed out and now they are just buying crap up (like real estate and smaller banks) and making huge profits. This pisses me off. Plus, they are starting to nickle and dime me even though I have been a long time customer. I'm seriously considering closing the account down and going down to another credit union and opening up an account with them but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I'm a member of another credit union in another state and well, I'm not sure I want to shut down my Wells Fargo account.

3rd&48ers
09-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been a member of a credit union for about 15 years and if I need a loan, I go to them. I also have a savings and checking account with a big national bank for the convinience of it and I established my account with them like 22 years ago. The thing is, I established the account with a small bank in Colorado and then it was bought by Norwest (a great bank, the best big bank ever) and then Norwest was bought out by Wells Fargo so now it's a Wells Fargo account.

I don't like Wells Fargo, they got bailed out and now they are just buying crap up (like real estate and smaller banks) and making huge profits. This pisses me off. Plus, they are starting to nickle and dime me even though I have been a long time customer. I'm seriously considering closing the account down and going down to another credit union and opening up an account with them but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I'm a member of another credit union in another state and well, I'm not sure I want to shut down my Wells Fargo account.

Wells Fargo had my Mortgage when I had one... I was never late on a payment and paid off a 30 yr note in 5.5 years but they were always calling and shit trying to sell me stuff... I hated doing business with them.

JD10367
09-01-2012, 01:10 PM

This. Although I had an issue with my credit union when I had one, in upstate NY. I moved from the area, and a few months later found a debit for $100+. I called and said, "Uh, WTF?" They said, "Oh, that was an automatic debit from Time Warner Cable because you didn't return a cable box." I said, "In the first place, I did return their cable box. In the second place, I never authorized debits from my account, when I had Time Warner or ever. Are you in the habit of simply letting companies dip into your customers' accounts?" They had no answer for me. I immediately withdrew my money and opened a local account with a local bank.

Psyko Tek
09-01-2012, 03:27 PM

not that true, many CU are part of a network so you can use other branches and atms for free
still it is a pain, but
FUCK THE BANKSTERS

Buehler445
09-01-2012, 03:28 PM
People actually do business with big banks?

Mine is at a local bank. I know all the directors and almost all the staff.

3rd&48ers
09-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I never use an ATM.... except the free one across the street to get a hundred bucks out to have pocket money.... 99% of my transactions are credit card transactions and paid off in full when the statement comes in.

scho63
09-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I use Scottrade Bank. All my ATM fees are rebated back at the end of the month, I have a savings, checking, and brokerage account all consolidated in one, along with a debit card. I don't use credit cards as I have one from my company
Not as convenient as a bank but super efficient

PunkinDrublic
09-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I never use an ATM.... except the free one across the street to get a hundred bucks out to have pocket money.... 99% of my transactions are credit card transactions and paid off in full when the statement comes in.

I use an online bank that actually reimburses my ATM fees.

JASONSAUTO
09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
People actually do business with big banks?

Mine is at a local bank. I know all the directors and almost all the staff.
Mine too...
Posted via Mobile Device

PGM
09-01-2012, 04:47 PM
then the banks

GloryDayz
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Friends don't let friends "bank"!

Fairplay
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Credit Union. Plus they have free cookies.

Nightfyre
09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Go with a community bank, imo. They will put your deposits to work in the local economy and are generally a lot more upfront about charges than national banks.