PDA

View Full Version : Life My 2-year old son just diagnosed with Asthma...

Mr_Tomahawk
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
...I think.

Nobody in my immediate family has asthma, so I am new to this sort of lifestyle.

Last week my 2 year old son was dealing with what seemed to be terrible allergies...something EVERYONE in my family deals with this time of the year.

My wife and I just kept him indoors and kept an eye on him...all seemed good.

Thursday I head to work and my wife stays home with him. She texts me throughout the day saying how she thinks the allergies may have developed into some sort of sinus infection as it has moved into his chest. She says he is coughing alot more and running a temperature etc...

I come home from work and my wife (who was up with him the night before) are both sitting on the couch and look exhausted, my son looked like he was hit by a train. Right away I noticed he had laboured breathing. We immediatley take him to Childrens Mercy where they run their test and hook him up to oxygen as his blood-oxygen levels were a little low. We end up staying the night so they can monitor him.

We are discharged the next day around noon and he is doing much better. We have a couple of inhalers now...

[What is already a] long story short...

The doctors at the ER said he had developed Bronchiolitis which is a lower resperiatory infection caused by a virus. Symptoms include a slight fever, coughing, sneezing and in more serious cases, trouble breathing.

The doctor said given his history, it sounds like the asthmatic episode was triggered by the bronchiolitis...

We are going to our pediatrician tomorrow for a follow-up to he how he is doing and then we are going to see our asthma/allergist Dr. to figure out if allergies played a roll in triggering the asthma attack or if it was strickly the bronchiolitis virus.

My question;

Do any of you dads (or moms) have any young kids with asthma...? Is the asthma seasonal with the allergies? Have they had a rough fall? One of the doctors at the ER said this has been a crazy busy month. Busier than usual. And there have been A LOT of kids with similar symptoms coming in.

And one thing I am bumming about is that the kid LOVES playing outside. All he wants to do is run around outside..IF, we find out the asthma is seasonal-allergy related, will he have to be the boy who lives in the bubble during the spring/fall? If he is put on an inhaler, will he be able to go back outside and run around once again?

I know I will get alot of these professionally answered in the next couple of days, but I wanted to hear first-hand expereince from fathers who may have been in a similar experience as I find myself today.

Thanks.

R8RFAN
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Praying for your Baby man....

Discuss Thrower
09-03-2012, 01:34 PM
"Spaulding, get dressed, you're playing with golf with Dr Beeper and Bishop Pickering."

bevischief
09-03-2012, 01:35 PM
www.ihealthtube.com, sorry for your son.

ChiefsandO'sfan
09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Sorry to Hear.

Bowser
09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
What is the lifestyle of you and your wife? Do you guys smoke? Have multiple animals? Have had water damage to your house in the past? Are you guys clean freaks or not so much?

There are a ton of things that can potentially cause respitory distress in young children outside of them just actually getting sick. Our daughter had to have breathing treatments for years, but that was in large part to her being preemie....

cosmo20002
09-03-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm sure there are some 'experts' on here with more first-hand experience, but I really think asthma is very specific to the individual. My brother had what I think was a pretty 'severe' case--he was alergic to what seemed like every type of plant and living thing. But he played sports, played outside, rolled around in the grass, etc, all the things kids do. I guess we (my parents) just dealt with it, gave him whatever meds were needed, and everything was fairly normal as far as his activities. That was also 20-30 years ago so hopefully treatments have improved. Best wishes--

Mr_Tomahawk
09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
What is the lifestyle of you and your wife? Do you guys smoke? Have multiple animals? Have had water damage to your house in the past? Are you guys clean freaks or not so much?

There are a ton of things that can potentially cause respitory distress in young children outside of them just actually getting sick. Our daughter had to have breathing treatments for years, but that was in large part to her being preemie....

Two dogs who live in the basement (finished walkout).

We have a dehumidifier so I would like to say it isn't mold...but it is constantly running so who knows.

My wife and I are very healthy, non-smoking, runners.

My guess is he is developing seasonal allergies since it hasn't skipped anyone in our family...he just may be extra sensitive to it?

How is your daughter now? Is she still on breathing treatments? Was she doing them at your house?

Our son is on Flovent (inhaler) for the next 2 weeks...then I duno? Do we wait and see if he has a relapse or maybe we keep him on it through the allergy season?

It's kind of frustrating. He doesn't know what is going on and doesn't understand why he can't go outside and play now.

Mr_Tomahawk
09-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm sure there are some 'experts' on here with more first-hand experience, but I really think asthma is very specific to the individual. My brother had what I think was a pretty 'severe' case--he was alergic to what seemed like every type of plant and living thing. But he played sports, played outside, rolled around in the grass, etc, all the things kids do. I guess we (my parents) just dealt with it, gave him whatever meds were needed, and everything was fairly normal as far as his activities. That was also 20-30 years ago so hopefully treatments have improved. Best wishes--

This is what I am hoping in a worst case of scenerio. That if we stay on top of it with meds (preventatives), he will be able to lead a fairly carefree life in regards to when he can or can not play outsid or be limited to certain activities...

Chocolate Hog
09-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that Tomahawk glad to hear lil man is OK though.

Bowser
09-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Two dogs who live in the basement (finished walkout).

We have a dehumidifier so I would like to say it isn't mold...but it is constantly running so who knows.

My wife and I are very healthy, non-smoking, runners.

My guess is he is developing seasonal allergies since it hasn't skipped anyone in our family...he just may be extra sensitive to it?

How is your daughter now? Is she still on breathing treatments? Was she doing them at your house?

Our son is on Flovent (inhaler) for the next 2 weeks...then I duno? Do we wait and see if he has a relapse or maybe we keep him on it through the allergy season?

It's kind of frustrating. He doesn't know what is going on and doesn't understand why he can't go outside and play now.

Yeah, she's fine these days. Starts on varsity for her HS volleyball team. She definitely grew out of it. She hasn't had a breathing treatment in years.

Another thing to consider - this year has been absolutley fucking brutal when it comes to allergies. I have hayfever and have been sneezing/coughing/hacking all during this hot dry summer. I've read it's even affected people who are generally allergy free, so there *may be* that to think about.

Give it the two weeks to see if the Flovent helps him out. Hopefully it will do the trick. If not, there are a ton of options out there to treat any budding allergy problems he may be flirting with. Good luck to him and you guys.

Mr_Tomahawk
09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, she's fine these days. Starts on varsity for her HS volleyball team. She definitely grew out of it. She hasn't had a breathing treatment in years.

Another thing to consider - this year has been absolutley ****ing brutal when it comes to allergies. I have hayfever and have been sneezing/coughing/hacking all during this hot dry summer. I've read it's even affected people who are generally allergy free, so there *may be* that to think about.

Give it the two weeks to see if the Flovent helps him out. Hopefully it will do the trick. If not, there are a ton of options out there to treat any budding allergy problems he may be flirting with. Good luck to him and you guys.

Yeah, the doctors at the ER said it has been a terrible allergy year.

I have also spoken to a lot of people who had pretty severe asthma as a kid and also grew out of it.

Thank you for the feedback.

JD10367
09-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Allergies and asthma seem to go hand in hand, as the allergies can constrict airways and make the asthma more prominent. When I was a kid, I had neither; in my teens, I developed allergies (dust, grass, trees, cats, mold). All light allergies although, some days, I'm pretty miserable with it. Then I noticed that, when I laughed hard, or when I went from a warm building to the cold outdoors in the winter, I'd start to wheeze strangely (sounded like I would breathe, and then there'd be a second breath in there). Was diagnosed with asthma. I carry a rescue inhaler (usually Proventil, Ventolin, or some other albuterol-based substance) which always does the trick, the few times I need it. They used to be cheap (like, minimum copay for a decent sized inhaler) but due to the damn ozone regulations they're now expensive (twice the price for half the size).

Mr_Tomahawk
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Allergies and asthma seem to go hand in hand, as the allergies can constrict airways and make the asthma more prominent. When I was a kid, I had neither; in my teens, I developed allergies (dust, grass, trees, cats, mold). All light allergies although, some days, I'm pretty miserable with it. Then I noticed that, when I laughed hard, or when I went from a warm building to the cold outdoors in the winter, I'd start to wheeze strangely (sounded like I would breathe, and then there'd be a second breath in there). Was diagnosed with asthma. I carry a rescue inhaler (usually Proventil, Ventolin, or some other albuterol-based substance) which always does the trick, the few times I need it. They used to be cheap (like, minimum copay for a decent sized inhaler) but due to the damn ozone regulations they're now expensive (twice the price for half the size).

Are you able to go out and still be active outside even pollen levels are high? Or do you have to play it safe and stay indoors?

JD10367
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I'll add that I don't trust the new "preventative" drugs. As usual nowadays, they come with a long line of horrible-sounding side effects. Not sure I'd subject a young, still-growing child to any prolonged medications (especially since almost every new drug is only slightly past experimental stages and they're just as likely to recall the crap and tell you, "Oops, sorry, that stuff kinda kills you"). The rescue inhalers like albuterol are a time-tested medicine by comparison.

JD10367
09-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you able to go out and still be active outside even pollen levels are high? Or do you have to play it safe and stay indoors?

No, I'm fine, but my allergies aren't that heavy (just widespread). You might want to get him tested, which sucks ass, especially for kids (as they use a whole shitload of needles to stab you with multiple substances, and then see which spots rash up). You might find out the allergy is very specific (e.g. the tree I'm most allergic to is oak, some people are more allergic to ragweed, etc.,.) and thus can better determine the times of year to take it easier when outside.

BigRedChief
09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe its allergies since you do have a family history. If it is Asthma, no worries. Your child can do whatever any other kid can do outdoors or athletically. You just have to be aware and keep taking the bronchodilators.

They will get your son started on Albuterol aerosol treatments. This mist gets the medicene down to the alveoli level. Works wonderfully. Use the inhaler for emergencys.

jspchief
09-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself.