PDA

View Full Version : Football Tyler Thigpen takes $1 million pay cut.

Rain Man
09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
He now makes only $1.5 million dollars per year, and laughs at every single person on Chiefsplanet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8333632/tyler-thigpen-took-1m-pay-cut-stay-buffalo-bills

Tyler Thigpen confirms $1M pay cut
Updated: September 3, 2012, 1:52 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen has accepted a $1 million pay cut, restructuring his contract to improve his chances of staying on the team.

Thigpen confirmed the move Monday, a day after ESPN.com first reported he took a pay cut.

Thigpen said there were several reasons behind the decision, and added he was glad to still be in Buffalo. He's now scheduled to make a base salary of $1.5 million this season in the second year of a three-year contract.

Thigpen's future in Buffalo remains in question. He is competing for the backup spot with Tarvaris Jackson, who was acquired in a trade with Seattle last week.

In making their final cuts Friday, the Bills kept Thigpen in part because he's more familiar with the offense than Jackson.

Bowser
09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/zxs41k.jpg

Dayze
09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
If I were him I wouldn't be taking that cut. He's going to need all the money he can get

JASONSAUTO
09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Am I the only one surprised he was making north of a million in the first place?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Am I the only one surprised he was making north of a million in the first place?
Posted via Mobile Device

That was primarily why I posted the article. His original salary this year was going to be $2.5 million. My mind is reeling.

Count Zarth
09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Hahaha. Suck shit, loser.

pr_capone
Trade for him. Start him.

/Thigpen my adopt-a-player

I thought ou were gone until Week 1.

notorious
Is he better than Cassel?

mnchiefsguy
09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That was my first thought. He did not make nearly that when he was in KC did he?

pr_capone
09-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes. Easily. Walking away.

JASONSAUTO
09-03-2012, 12:52 PM

He still makes more this year than you will in your lifetime
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
He still makes more this year than you will in your lifetime
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

Boom.

JASONSAUTO
Trade for him. Start him.

/Thigpen my adopt-a-player

He always comes back early
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
09-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Monday is the first day of Week 1.

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Yes. Easily. Walking away.Better than bad does not equal good.

Neither is winning a SB, so why bother?

Push.

pr_capone
09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Better than bad does not equal good.

Neither is winning a SB, so why bother?

Push.

With Kasl we don't make the playoffs. With Thigpen, we make the playoffs and at least 1 win. I'll take that as a starting point.

threebag02
09-03-2012, 01:04 PM
With Kasl we don't make the playoffs. With Thigpen, we make the playoffs and at least 1 win. I'll take that as a starting point.

Truth

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I doubt it, but I'll go along with this simply because I'd rather watch a different QB.

Shogun
09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
In Thiggy I trust

notorious
09-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I would take Thigpen only if Gailey comes with him.

tk13
09-03-2012, 01:46 PM
People really believe he is better than Cassel? That's crazy. He is basically Tyler Palko with a marginally better arm. I can't believe people still wank on the guy... I'd rather have all three of our current QB's over him. The Bills may be a worse train wreck than the Chiefs at the QB position, and they still might cut this guy.

notorious
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
People really believe he is better than Cassel? That's crazy. He is basically Tyler Palko with a marginally better arm. I can't believe people still wank on the guy... I'd rather have all three of our current QB's over him. The Bills may be a worse train wreck than the Chiefs at the QB position, and they still might cut this guy.

Thigpen had a OC that knew how to maximize his ability, what little there was.

Ace Gunner
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM
A REAL TEAM PLAYER /Chan sympathizers

Rain Man
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM
If I was comparing Thigpen and Cassel, my conclusion would be:

Thigpen is far more mobile.
Cassel is more accurate on short and medium passes.
Both are terrible at long passes, but for different reasons. (Cassel doesn't have the arm and Thigpen doesn't have the accuracy.)
They're about even in progressing through reads (or perhaps Thigpen is better - don't remember)
Thigpen is less conservative than Cassel, which means he's more likely to make mistakes but more likely to make plays.
Thigpen is less likely to panic under a rush.
I'm not sure of any differences in stuff like reading defenses and pocket awareness.

That's based on vague memories of Thigpen, so others can provide proof to the contrary if I'm wrong.

And by the way, it's sad that I'm doing this as a serious exercise. I have a feeling that most teams aren't doing a serious comparison of their starting quarterback versus Thigpen.

pr_capone
09-03-2012, 01:55 PM

More mobile than Kasl. Better arm than Kasl. Better at sensing pressure. Unlike Kasl... If there isn't a play available with his arm, he has no problem running the ball and doing so WAY more effectively than Kasl.

The only spot they are a push is at reading d and possibly accuracy.

threebag02
09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Thiggy>V Young>C Stewart>....The Matt Cassel

Ace Gunner
09-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Thigpen highlights
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KJJW7EF5aVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC Tattoo
09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nuxaffH1PQw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this never gets old.

tk13
09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
All of the above is completely ridiculous. All of it. It's not even close or worthy of a debate. Thigpen is a slightly better version of Palko, or Tim Tebow. People here are basically arguing he's a top 10/12 QB capable of winning playoff games when he's possibly about to get cut by a team with a terrible QB situation. That's ridiculous. Even playing with the one offensive coach who can maximize his ability, Thigpen is a scattershot QB who barely completes above 50% of his passes and has a 50/50ish TD/INT ratio. The two seasons Cassel played with offensive coaching that maximized his ability, his teams won 10+ games and he had a 48/18 TD/INT ratio. People's hatred of Cassel has reached absolutely stupid levels.

Phobia
09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I agree with you, tk but if Thigpen took a $1 Mill paycut then Matt Cassel should take a $58 Million paycut.

threebag02
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
The best thing The Matt Cassel has EVER done is a fucking KSwiss commercial.

Count Zarth
09-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Thigpen was better at throwing past 20 yards in 2008 than Cassel was. This was detailed in The Declaration of Independence, MO. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261629) Read it, memorize it, love it.

IMPORTANT FACT #2: In 2008, a season wherein Cassel played with perhaps the greatest deep threat in league history (one Randolph Gene Moss), featured only six completions to Moss that traveled over 20 yards. Only two of these competions traveled over 30 yards. This was less than half the number of deep completions Moss hauled in the year prior (14).

For the entire year, Cassel completed only 8 of 38 (21%) passes that traveled over 20 yards. For comparison, consider one Tyler Thigpen, who completed 15 of 56 (27%) passes over 20 yards that season. NOTE: Thigpen was traded the following year in favor of Cassel.

pr_capone
09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
All of the above is completely ridiculous. All of it. It's not even close or worthy of a debate. Thigpen is a slightly better version of Palko, or Tim Tebow. People here are basically arguing he's a top 10/12 QB capable of winning playoff games when he's possibly about to get cut by a team with a terrible QB situation. That's ridiculous. Even playing with the one offensive coach who can maximize his ability, Thigpen is a scattershot QB who barely completes above 50% of his passes and has a 50/50ish TD/INT ratio. The two seasons Cassel played with offensive coaching that maximized his ability, his teams won 10+ games and he had a 48/18 TD/INT ratio. People's hatred of Cassel has reached absolutely stupid levels.

I just said he was better than Kasl. Never said he was a top 10 QB. Seeing as I have Kasl as the 28th best starting QB in the league...

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Thigpen was better at throwing past 20 yards in 2008 than Cassel was. This was detailed in The Declaration of Independence, MO. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261629) Read it, memorize it, love it.

Tony Gonzales.

Debunked.

bevischief
09-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Wish I had this problem...

Count Zarth
09-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Tony Gonzales.

Debunked.

Cassel had Randy Moss.

Marcellus
09-03-2012, 03:14 PM

So do you know what each QB was coached to do? When they game planned and discussed the plays do you know what they were told?

I imagine BB was conservative with his down field passing attack after Brady got hurt, he was playing it safe. They still won 11 games.

By the time Thigpen was throwing down field the Chiefs were long out of the hunt. KC won 2 games.

But hey in a vacuum everything is equal. You live your entire existence in a vacuum. Reality involves gravity.

Count Zarth
09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
To ignore the different in talent between New England and KC that year is ignorant on your part.

Not saying Thigpen is better than Cassel.

But the difference between the two players is not enormous.

the Talking Can
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM

no, he's not

he's terrible

but I'm glad he's managed to make several million in the league...not bad for a guy that humps skeletons...,

L.A. Chieffan
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM

POWER OF CASSELL COMPELS YOU

Marcellus
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
To ignore the different in talent between New England and KC that year is ignorant on your part.

Not saying Thigpen is better than Cassel.

But the difference between the two players is not enormous.

So what you are saying is the BB recognized the talent level on the team and new Cassel didn't have to win the games just not lose them?

Once again you are making my argument, your stats are BS because they don't take everything into account.

Thigpen was allowed to wing it because WTF not? What was there to lose?

the Talking Can
09-03-2012, 03:30 PM
i remember threads where people compared thigpen's stats to The Pittsburgh Rapist...

it is never not clown school when chiefs fans discuss QBs...

Ace Gunner
09-03-2012, 03:31 PM

ROFL he's like a miniature, less talented version of Rothlisberger. All that running around is dumb and it'll get him killed.

At least Cassel has the nerve to stay in the pocket. But that is nearly all he does well.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
And yet he's still worth more than Cassel.