PDA

View Full Version : Football Peter King pet peeve

Mojo Rising
09-04-2012, 12:33 AM
His SI access makes him a must read. Who else gets the interviews he can get?

He pisses me off on a weekly basis when he interjects his politics into his colums.

So what if a family in a Range Rover bought their kid a smartphone. This is a smaller complaint but his politics never end.

I have given my kid 2 old smart phones that were loaded with games, music and wifi. If I wanted to pay for it to be live who cares? Shouldn't that be applauded if I did? (I didn't btw, but who cares if I did?? Why is he hating on success in america?)

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note of the Week

More a slice of New York life than a true travel note, mostly because I didn't travel over the long holiday weekend:

I was walking in Manhattan on Friday afternoon, approaching the corner of Park Avenue and East 54th. A young family, apparently, with a 35ish couple and a boy and a girl (I'm guessing the girl was 9 and the boy 5 or 6, and it was their mom and dad with them) climbed into their Range Rover after loading a few bags in the trunk. Going somewhere for the weekend, I guessed. Before the left rear passenger door was closed, and just as I passed within a few feet of the vehicle, the boy climbed into his backless car booster seat and said to his mom: "Can I have my phone?''

I did a near-double-take. A phone for a 5- or 6-year-old? And the mom pulled out what appeared to be an iPhone or an Android phone, with a rectangular screen, and handed it to the boy.

Not to show that I'm in the prime of my hey-kid-get-off-my-lawn life, but do 6-year-old kids have iPhones in America? It can't be.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/02/mmqb/index.html#ixzz25TpjWTMD

HoneyBadger
09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
The family must be doing something right if they have a Rover.

threebag02
09-04-2012, 04:30 AM
My four year old has a 3Gs it's really a good tool with the apps/games/movies/music. He takes his own videos and pictures. It really does work well. I get to see a lot of the world from his perspective.

threebag02
09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
He will have my iPhone 4 in three weeks when I get my 5.

WV
09-04-2012, 06:16 AM
I think it's fine if they are being used as entertainment devices with parental supervision, but it's the kids in elementary school and heck even middle school that are attached to the things with ears and thumbs that is annoying.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Hmmmm...i wonder if it was an iPod Touch and the kid just called it a phone?

Dave Lane
09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Frikken parents will find anything to not actual have to parent. Ours parked us in front of the TV or made us play outside. This is pretty sad.

Guru
09-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Frikken parents will find anything to not actual have to parent. Ours parked us in front of the TV or made us play outside. This is pretty sad.

over the top much

I would rather them have an electronic device while riding in the car too. No more of that damn "are we there yet" or "dad, he's bugging me."

tredadda
09-04-2012, 08:15 AM
With all that is wrong with society now, letting a kid play on a smartphone is minor to say the least.

SNR
09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I shoved an iPhone up my wife's vagina so my future kid has something to make those long months pass easier. I'm a terrible parent.

Nickel D
09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey! Don't knock the kid, PK! Wouldn't you rather he mess around on a phone than mess around on his teacher??!?!

Baby Lee
09-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Moms gave the TV to Goodwill when I entered kindergarten

Molitoth
09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
over the top much

I would rather them have an electronic device while riding in the car too. No more of that damn "are we there yet" or "dad, he's bugging me."

This.

The Bad Guy
09-04-2012, 10:11 AM
My 3 year old uses the Iphone constantly for letter apps and we downloaded some age appropriate apps for him to use.

Detoxing
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Why would you not let a kid use a smartphone? It's a freaking interactive learning tool FFS.

Iowanian
09-04-2012, 10:19 AM

How many kids do you have dave?

I do plenty of parenting, bike riding, cabin nights at a lake, hell they have a Friggin pony we go feed apples 4-5 days per week. But when we're all couped up in the house, I have no problem with them watching certain programs or when my 4 year old wants to play some learning games on the computer. Any parent who has taken 3 kids on a 6hr car ride with and without portable dvd movies will know. I honestly don't know how any kids lived to the end of the Oregon trail.

"What happened to Timmy?" "well, he was throwing a fit for 5hrs because the wagon seat was lumpy and got dysentary"

My 4 year old is probably more computer and gadget literate than I was when I got to college.