PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Wireless Adaptor for my TV

Pestilence
09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
So I've got a 55" Panasonic Plasma TV that I need to get a wireless adapter for.

My brother has the same TV and he bought this for his:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DY-WL10-Wireless-Adapter-Blu-ray/dp/B003960G1U

So my question.....is would I be better off spending the money and picking up a wireless access point and connecting it that way? Or getting something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-WNDA3100-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001498LIO/ref=pd_cp_e_2

htismaqe
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Have you confirmed that the Netgear USB adapter is compatible with your TV? Remember that those types of devices are generally designed for use with PCs and require drivers for the OS to actually use them.

Does your TV have an ethernet port? If so, you might be better-served to do a 1-port bridge. I have one of these and it's great:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346776498&sr=1-3&keywords=netgear+wireless+adapter

You should also determine if you think you will need higher speeds. That means you need 802.11N support and maybe in the 5Ghz spectrum too...

Pestilence
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah....the TV has an ethernet port. Thanks for the heads up on the bridge.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
if you plan on changing tvs or adding devices that require wifi, an access point would be more versatile. If you buy the Panny dongle, you're stuck with compatible tvs.

Pestilence
09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
if you plan on changing tvs or adding devices that require wifi, an access point would be more versatile. If you buy the Panny dongle, you're stuck with compatible tvs.

Point taken.

htismaqe
09-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Point taken.

It's also good to note whether or not you have (or will have) more wired devices other than your TV that you want to connect.

When I had my original XBox 360, it didn't have wireless. I also had an LG BluRay player that was only wired.

For that, I used a multiport 5Ghz client bridge (Netgear WNHDE111) - both wired devices could use that to talk back to the network over a single high-speed wireless connection.

For a single wired connection, I like the Netgear bridge I posted earlier because it is almost entirely plug and play and you can get them pretty cheap.

As for mikey's comment about using an "access point" I want to make sure it's clear.

An access point is a wireless device that ACCEPTS wireless connections from clients.

A client is a wireless device that CONNECTS via wireless to an access point or wireless router.

A bridge is a device that takes wireless ethernet and converts it to wired (and back). A bridge can be either an access point OR a client.

A lot of wireless ROUTERS today can function as an access point (by simply turning off routing function). Some of them can also function as client bridges. If you need to connect more than one wired device via wireless, THIS is what you want - a client bridge.

For example, I have a Zyxel P330-W in my office. It is configured as a client bridge and connects via wireless to my central access point. Connected to it, I have 3 wired devices - an IP phone and 2 PCs.