PDA

View Full Version : Electronics iPhone 5?

Pages : [1] 2

Buehler445
09-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I heard on the radio that the new iPhone comes out next week. But I haven't seen anything on here.

Surely there is something we can discuss.

Thoughts on the new iPhone?

QuikSsurfer
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
You'll have to wait until Apple's September 12th event.

NewChief
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm just wanting a price drop on the 4S. My current 3G is a piece of shit. I don't think I'll get the 5.

Buehler445
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Is that when they start advertising? Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that's when they hit the market?

Buehler445
09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm just wanting a price drop on the 4S. My current 3G is a piece of shit. I don't think I'll get the 5.

My wife got a 4 (not S) for $99 a couple months ago with Verizon. It was the cheapest smartphone in the building. FWIW.

NewChief
09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Is that when they start advertising? Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that's when they hit the market?

They'll do their big conference on September 12th. As of late, you've been able to order the phones immediately afterward for shipping, but they take a bit to actually get on the market and even longer to get into retail stores.

Saulbadguy
09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
it will cure cancer

QuikSsurfer
09-05-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm more interested in new iPods and iOS6.

And this thread is a ticking time-bomb... so...

http://i.minus.com/i3HTvv9cq4I6u.gif

Dayze
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm more interested in new iPods and iOS6.

And this thread is a ticking time-bomb... so...

http://i.minus.com/i3HTvv9cq4I6u.gif

LMAO
my nutty ass dog does the same thing.

Deberg_1990
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Windows Fone Fo life....

Fish
09-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Apple treats the releases of their new products like some uber top secret technological revelation. It's stupid. They refuse to give any information about upcoming releases. They won't say what is being released, or exactly when. The only info from Apple is that they're having one of their normal "Events", and you have to watch it live that day to find out more.

But it's not hard to connect the dots. The new iPhone is expected Sept. 12th. It will come with iOS6, which is pretty fucking awesome.

Apple's new Maps feature is the shit. 3D maps that look incredible. They dropped Google maps, and created their own. And I have to say it's really impressive. It also features free turn by turn navigation which works really well.

Here's a little demo of an early beta version:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bGJABnoA2Xw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's other neat features too, like custom Do Not Disturb settings. Much more options in the Mail app, like individual signatures and such. And you can now Airplay anything from an iOS6 or Mountain Lion device. Which is pretty sweet combined with AppleTV.

Overall, I've really liked iOS6 so far.

NewChief
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Apple treats the releases of their new products like some uber top secret technological revelation. It's stupid.

While it's stupid to tech realists like yourself, but you've got to admit that it's a brilliant marketing ploy.

BWillie
09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
It took Steve Jobs taking a dirt nap to finally make a bigger screen. Even with the iphone 5 it wont be very big. If jobs were still alive he wouldnt let it be bigger than 3 inches. Literally only reason i refuse to buy an iPhone is cuz the screen is frustratingly dinky

threebag02
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
The Day It Is Released I will Get One. Then My Four Year Old Boy Will Have My 32GB 4S.

Fish
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
It took Steve Jobs taking a dirt nap to finally make a bigger screen. Even with the iphone 5 it wont be very big. If jobs were still alive he wouldnt let it be bigger than 3 inches. Literally only reason i refuse to buy an iPhone is cuz the screen is frustratingly dinky

I happen to think it's equally stupid that people would want a giant clunky battery draining screen on a phone. Get a damn tablet already..

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
The Day It Is Released I will Get One. Then My Four Year Old Boy Will Have My 32GB 4S.

Can Your 4-Year-Old Type Without Capitalizing Every Word?

BWillie
09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I happen to think it's equally stupid that people would want a giant clunky battery draining screen on a phone. Get a damn tablet already..

No, I refuse to follow Apples gameplan for consumers. They want to make a separate market for a phone and a tablet so they can monopolize consumers whereas Samsung offers devices based on consumer requests. Apple has such a loyal customer base they can get away w it. Why on earth would I want to lug around two devices when i only need one.

Saulbadguy
09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
No, I refuse to follow Apples gameplan for consumers. They want to make a separate market for a phone and a tablet so they can monopolize consumers whereas Samsung offers devices based on consumer requests. Apple has such a loyal customer base they can get away w it. Why on earth would I want to lug around two devices when i only need one.

I can see a future where there is literally a tablet-esque device in every single room in the house.

NewChief
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I can see a future where there is literally a tablet-esque device in every single room in the house.

We have two in our house, and they get used constantly between the kids and my wife and I. The kids absolutely love them and prefer them to television by far (though one of the kids mainly watches TV shows on it).

Chocolate Hog
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd rather get the Galaxy III

Fish
09-05-2012, 01:23 PM

It has nothing to do with Apple's gameplan for anything. There is a separate market for phones and tablets. It's been that way for some time. And that's not strictly Apple's doing. Your expectations are silly.

BWillie
09-05-2012, 01:31 PM
It has nothing to do with Apple's gameplan for anything. There is a separate market for phones and tablets. It's been that way for some time. And that's not strictly Apple's doing. Your expectations are silly.

Obviously, but Apple has failed to address the many consumers who don't want a tablet and a phone. Forcing them to buy one of both, that is in their gameplan. Tons and tons of ppl bought the Galaxy Note phone, way more than expected. Galaxy Note 2 will also make a huge splash in the "phablet" market. Apple is just being stubborn with their Iphone screen size plain and simple and also because they want to sell more expensive iPads

Pablo
09-05-2012, 01:38 PM
How big is the screen gonna be?

jd1020
09-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Rather get an Atrix 2. I'm not a big fan of big huge bricks, like the Atrix 2, but its got good reviews and its one of the few phones with a FM radio transmitter. Fuck using all of your $25 of monthly data usage on streaming music. Give me FM radio and 200mb so I can check weather apps and the occasional odd web searches.

L.A. Chieffan
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Gimme a break dude, the battery on the 4s isnt that great despite how small the screen is

Buehler445
09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I have an iPhone 4 and I don't want it any bigger. By the time I get a case I can take to work it is pretty big.

L.A. Chieffan
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
My S3 is lighter and thinner even with the case on and the battery lasts just as long. Not to mention its removable so I can swap it with a fully charged battery any time I want.

Fish
09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Obviously, but Apple has failed to address the many consumers who don't want a tablet and a phone. Forcing them to buy one of both, that is in their gameplan. Tons and tons of ppl bought the Galaxy Note phone, way more than expected. Galaxy Note 2 will also make a huge splash in the "phablet" market. Apple is just being stubborn with their Iphone screen size plain and simple and also because they want to sell more expensive iPads

Yes, I still remember the day that Apple forced me to buy both a phone and a tablet. That was a hard day.

LMAO

Do you have a backpack to carry your phablet? Or do you just buy those ghetto pants with the giant pockets?

BWillie
09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, I still remember the day that Apple forced me to buy both a phone and a tablet. That was a hard day.

LMAO

Do you have a backpack to carry your phablet? Or do you just buy those ghetto pants with the giant pockets?

Huh? The S2 easily fits in any pockets I have and I've tried out the Note and it fitted in my pants pocket with ease.

LiL stumppy
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I just started working for a premium retailer. Im waiting for the iPhone to come out to make a decesion. I like the 4, and I know the ios6 will be amazing. Should be 4g capable as well. If I dont seem to like it, ill just snag up a galaxy s3. Pretty excited to see one though

The Rick
09-05-2012, 03:23 PM
How big is the screen gonna be?
Here's a supposed photo of what it will look like compared to the current iPhone 4S:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/09/iresq_iphone5_4s_front_comparison.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/05/closeup-photos-show-clear-difference-in-thickness-between-iphone-5-and-4s/

Shag
09-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Here's a supposed photo of what it will look like compared to the current iPhone 4S:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/09/iresq_iphone5_4s_front_comparison.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/05/closeup-photos-show-clear-difference-in-thickness-between-iphone-5-and-4s/

If that is legit, I don't understand that form factor choice...

Guru
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Wonder what color the iPod Touch will be this year.

DaFace
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
If that is legit, I don't understand that form factor choice...

It is a little odd to have it be so tall. I'd imagine their reasoning is that they want to keep it narrow enough to reach across with your thumb, but still...I'd be curious to see how it really feels in your hand.

ragedogg69
09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
It is a little odd to have it be so tall. I'd imagine their reasoning is that they want to keep it narrow enough to reach across with your thumb, but still...I'd be curious to see how it really feels in your hand.

I have a samsung galaxy S II and I have a hard time reaching to the top corners of the screen with my thumb and my hands are normal sized. I cant imagine doing it with the S III or the Note.

Apple has the right idea if this is a true concept, but even with a tall screen it will be tough.

loochy
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
WTF is the deal with the iphone and the wasted space with the big black bars at the top and bottom? Why don't they just tone that down and make the screen bigger there (or make the phone smaller)?

WV
09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want to go to the new iPhone or go for the Galaxy S III on Sprint.

I still have my old EVO now.

DMAC
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I still cant get over the fact I touch a button-less screen and something sends signals to space and brings back my entire music collection or anything else.

So I haven't quite gotten to the point that the screen is too small or whatever.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
WTF is the deal with the iphone and the wasted space with the big black bars at the top and bottom? Why don't they just tone that down and make the screen bigger there (or make the phone smaller)?

That's where a lot of the inner-workings of the phone are stored. LCD screens actually take up quite a bit of space.

Motorola is working on a phone that actually uses the full face of the phone, but it's a tricky thing to accomplish.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/31/bloomberg-motorola-will-release-a-phone-with-no-bezel-by-the-end-of-the-year/

DaFace
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want to go to the new iPhone or go for the Galaxy S III on Sprint.

I still have my old EVO now.

The SIII is incredibly fast, and the screen looks great. I actually ended up going with the Galaxy Nexus though - I can't stand TouchWiz.

loochy
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
That's where a lot of the inner-workings of the phone are stored. LCD screens actually take up quite a bit of space.

Motorola is working on a phone that actually uses the full face of the phone, but it's a tricky thing to accomplish.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/31/bloomberg-motorola-will-release-a-phone-with-no-bezel-by-the-end-of-the-year/

My HTC inspire has a *small* bezel, but I specifically was talking about the one on the iphone that seems exceedingly large, especially on the top part where the speaker for your ear is. My HTC just has a little sliver about as wide as the speaker.

WV
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
The SIII is incredibly fast, and the screen looks great. I actually ended up going with the Galaxy Nexus though - I can't stand TouchWiz.

Not sure I know enough about Touchwiz to have an educated opinion on it versus something else.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Not sure I know enough about Touchwiz to have an educated opinion on it versus something else.

If you Google it, you'll find some videos that show what it looks like. It's just a personal preference thing - I like to have relatively "pure" Android, but plenty of people like TouchWiz just fine.

L.A. Chieffan
09-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Holy shit, that looks bad ass more excited for that announcement than the Apple one

DMAC
09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Holy shit, that looks bad ass more excited for that announcement than the Apple one

Well it's Iron Man so...

DaFace
09-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Well it's Iron Man so...

Heh...yeah...there aren't any pics of the actual phone out yet as far as I know. ROFL

BigMeatballDave
09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a samsung galaxy S II and I have a hard time reaching to the top corners of the screen with my thumb and my hands are normal sized. I cant imagine doing it with the S III or the Note.

Apple has the right idea if this is a true concept, but even with a tall screen it will be tough.

You have small hands.

Great Expectations
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I have an iphone 4 now, and am looking at deciding between the 5 or Galaxy note 2 when it is released.

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I'll say this... if all it is is a .5" bigger screen and a new iOs I will be EXTREMELY disappointed.

DaFace
09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I'll say this... if all it is is a .5" bigger screen and a new iOs I will be EXTREMELY disappointed.

I'm sure it'll have some standard hardware improvements as well. I'm not sure what you could reasonably expect beyond that.

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm sure it'll have some standard hardware improvements as well. I'm not sure what you could reasonably expect beyond that.

When the 4s came out last year A LOT of people were disappointed because aside from a better camera and processor it was basically the same thing as the 4. Add into that the somewhat lackluster response to the new iPad we really haven seen anything NEW from Apple in about two years.

I give all the credit to Apple in terms of thinking outside the box and innovation, but if all theyre trotting out there is a phone with a bigger screen then that sucks. I want a battery that lasts 2 weeks, I want wireless charging capabilities, I want fingerprint integration, I want light as a FEATHER. It better have mother fucking LTE.

bishop_74
09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
It will have LTE. That's the big deal with it.

Pablo
09-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Meh, 4" screen is a no-go.

Galaxy S3 it is for me.

jd1020
09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Meh, 4" screen is a no-go.

Galaxy S3 it is for me.

What do you guys do on your phones that requires a 5" screen?

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM

A lot of stuff, so I dont have to carry an extra thing around.

When I'm reading it makes a huge difference.

NewChief
09-07-2012, 09:14 PM

Look at 5" pussies instead of 4".

KCFalcon59
09-07-2012, 10:27 PM

LMAOLMAO

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I'd like to get the Galaxy Note. 5.3"

Dave Lane
09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I'd rather get the Galaxy III

Of course you would.

Pablo
09-07-2012, 11:44 PM
What do you guys do on your phones that requires a 5" screen?Why would you guys want a 52" TV? A 40" is completely serviceable.

Why wouldn't you want a 5" screen? Can't squeeze it in your 501 pockets or what?

And yeah, it's all about the 5" pussies. That's 25% more pussy on your phone.

Win.

loochy
09-08-2012, 09:55 AM

I watch a lot of video on my phone. I run every morning and I rigged up a little thing to hang the phone from the treadmill.

Pushead2
09-08-2012, 10:56 AM

:thumb:

BWillie
09-09-2012, 03:23 AM

I read its going to be 5.5 inches, but not larger than the previous note that was 5.3 because all the phone is screen size. I think that is finally the perfect size.

Unsmooth-Moment
09-09-2012, 04:10 AM

I have the 4.3" Razr Maxx.. Nothing at all clunky or battery draining about my device. :thumb:

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Bump for Apple announcement event today.

DBOSHO
09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Depending on how the new iphone looks, i might just suck it up and pay the early renew fee which is $250.

Got a nice check coming, im not.due for an ugrade till june and im stuck with a captuvate now which isnt a bad phone but its outdated.

what time do they start this thing?

The Rick
09-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Depending on how the new iphone looks, i might just suck it up and pay the early renew fee which is $250.

Got a nice check coming, im not.due for an ugrade till june and im stuck with a captuvate now which isnt a bad phone but its outdated.

what time do they start this thing?
Event starts at 10:00 AM Pacific...

NewChief
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
The iPhone 5 is the thinnest and lightest phone Apple has ever made: 7.6 mm thin, 18 percent thinner than the iPhone 4S and the world’s thinnest smartphone. Its 112 grams, 20 percent lighter than the iPhone 4S. It has a 326 PPI Retina display. The new screen on iPhone 5 is 4 inches, 1136 by 640 pixels with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio.

Saulbadguy
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Bigger, better, faster stronger.

Touch sensors built right in to display.

LTE radio. etc etc.

NewChief
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Bigger, better, faster stronger.

Touch sensors built right in to display.

LTE radio. etc etc.

Are the touch sensors built into the display going to make replacement of cracked screens more expensive? (and I know that this development has been discussed before, so this question has already probably been answered).

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
YAY! A 4" LTE phone!

Welcome to 2010!

Saulbadguy
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Are the touch sensors built into the display going to make replacement of cracked screens more expensive? (and I know that this development has been discussed before, so this question has already probably been answered).

Certainly.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
A 8 MP camera! Thats so much better than the last one! OOOOH SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL!
WHATS THAT? I DUNNO BUT IT SOUNDS SO COOL!

Silock
09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
How DARE Apple upgrade their phone and then TELL people what the upgrades are at the press release event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saulbadguy
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/8217/iPhone5_0357.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
The little iPhone that could...

WoodDraw
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
YAY! A 4" LTE phone!

Welcome to 2010!

No shit. I remember when I loved watching Apple product announcements because there was always something interesting. That was awhile ago.

Saulbadguy
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/8221/iPhone5_0369.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 12:40 PM
http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/8221/iPhone5_0369.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAAA@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!

I thought the whole point of the apple connector was you didnt need adaptors!

Shag
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAAA@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!

I thought the whole point of the apple connector was you didnt need adaptors!

huh? How would you change a connector without an adapter? You plugging your old standard USB cable into your micro-USB port?

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
huh? How would you change a connector without an adapter? You plugging your old standard USB cable into your micro-USB port?

Not only are you going to be spending buku bucks for this new iphone faux, you get to spend more money on an adaptor to make your old shit work with your new shit! You probably should just convert all your currency into itunes giftcards. BRILLIANT!

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry. It'll probably come with it. Apple is cool. Apple is the anti-establishment. They "Think Different."

My bad

Shag
09-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Not only are you going to be spending buku bucks for this new iphone faux, you get to spend more money on an adaptor to make your old shit work with your new shit! You probably should just convert all your currency into itunes giftcards. BRILLIANT!

Quality post. Stick to your Cassel schtick - it works better for you...

NewChief
09-12-2012, 01:14 PM
No shit. I remember when I loved watching Apple product announcements because there was always something interesting. That was awhile ago.

I agree that they've lost their luster with these announcements. They used to always have some "wow" moment when they unveiled something unexpected or especially cool. Now, everyone pretty much knows what is going to get uncorked as the rest of the industry has caught up with them on an "innovation" level.

I'm pretty happy with the price point, though. Enough so that I might go ahead and grab the 5 instead of the 4S which I was planning on getting when prices dropped.

Shag
09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Not overly impressed with the new iPhone on the surface - doesn't seem like much of an improvement over the 4S. I'll have to play around with it, but the form factor just seems like it will be awkward. The connector is expected, but annoying - wouldn't affect me much, other than my car adapter.

Going to have to give Android phones a look, and do a little comparing on my own. I know way more unhappy Android users than happy ones, but I'll come up with my own opinion...

Dave Lane
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Don't you have some Cassel trite to be working on?

Dave Lane
09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I agree that they've lost their luster with these announcements. They used to always have some "wow" moment when they unveiled something unexpected or especially cool. Now, everyone pretty much knows what is going to get uncorked as the rest of the industry has caught up with them on an "innovation" level.

I'm pretty happy with the price point, though. Enough so that I might go ahead and grab the 5 instead of the 4S which I was planning on getting when prices dropped.

The loss of Steve is not to be a trifling thing.

-King-
09-12-2012, 01:25 PM
People still buy ipod touches?

vailpass
09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Not overly impressed with the new iPhone on the surface - doesn't seem like much of an improvement over the 4S. I'll have to play around with it, but the form factor just seems like it will be awkward. The connector is expected, but annoying - wouldn't affect me much, other than my car adapter.

Going to have to give Android phones a look, and do a little comparing on my own. I know way more unhappy Android users than happy ones, but I'll come up with my own opinion...

No you don't.

WoodDraw
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
This is still going on?

Shag
09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
No you don't.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Oh, wait, you don't know shit.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Does it have Swype? Worthless if no.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
and still no NFC...

vailpass
09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Oh, wait, you don't know shit.

It's always worthwhile to point out a falsehood. It could have been unintentional on your part; apparently it was just fanboi.

Shag
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
It's always worthwhile to point out a falsehood. It could have been unintentional on your part; apparently it was just fanboi.

Please list for me my specific acquaintances who are happy with their Android phones, then those who are not. Thanks.

I've been contemplating a switch to Android, and have talked to a good number of owners. I'm far from a fanboi.

penguinz
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
and still no NFC...Apple says you don't need it so you don't.

vailpass
09-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Please list for me my specific acquaintances who are happy with their Android phones, then those who are not. Thanks.

I've been contemplating a switch to Android, and have talked to a good number of owners. I'm far from a fanboi.

Gerard, Lance and Seth hate them and are oh so miffed their asshole dads forced them to use Android.

All of your hetero friends couldn't be happier with their Androids.

NewChief
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Pretty bad when the most exciting thing is redesigned earbuds.... err... earpods.

WoodDraw
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty bad when the most exciting thing is redesigned earbuds.... err... earpods.

Lightning!

And, for the love of god, why can we not call the "new iPad" the iPad 3, but we have the iPhone 5?

NewChief
09-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Hopefully they release an adapter so my earpods will fit in my ears, which are accustomed to the old earbuds.

ragedogg69
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Anyone want to sell me their AT&T Iphone 4s now that it is outdated?

WoodDraw
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
It's not a bad update; it's just boring. I thought the S III announcement was boring too. Everyone is struggling to innovate right now. Phones have become boring again.

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I was hoping for a bigger screen, so I will probably switch to the Note in December when I'm eligible for an upgrade.

Fish
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
• iPhone 5 will feature a glass and aluminum enclosure that's 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 and weighs in 20% lighter than these previous models at 112 grams.

• It has a 4-inch 1136 x 640 pixel (326 pixels per inch) Retina Display giving it the same width as the iPhone 4S but a taller form factor.

• The display features in-cell technology that allows the display to be thinner since the touch sensors are integrated into the display itself instead of requiring a separate layer.

• iPhone 5 features LTE connectivity using a single chip for voice and data and a dynamic antenna that can switch connections as needed. LTE connectivity will be compatible with all of the major cellular networks in the US plus others in Europe and around the world. The iPhone 5 also gets improved Wi-Fi connectivity with dual-channel 802.11(n) capability.

• iPhone will features an A6 processor that's twice as fast as the previous A5 processor, and is 22% smaller and more efficient.

• iPhone 5 will offer 8 hours of 3G or LTE talk time or browsing or 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing or 225 hours of standby time.

• The iPhone 5's rear-facing camera doesn't get a resolution bump, keeping an 8-megapixel sensor, though the sensor is thinner and the lens cover is sapphire crystal. The camera function gets a new dynamic low-light mode and faster photo capture.

• The front-facing Facetime camera will offer 720p HD video capture with the ability to take photos while recording video.

• iPhone 5 gets an additional microphone, bringing the total to three compared to the two present in the iPhone 4S. The microphones will be located on the bottom, front, and rear of the iPhone 5 to improve voice recognition and noise cancellation.

• iPhone 5 will come in white or black. The black version will have a black anodized aluminum back while the white version will have a raw aluminum back.

• iPhone 5 will cost $199, $299, and $399 respectively for the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB models with a contract.

• iPhone 4S will be reduced to $99 and the iPhone 4 will be free with a contract.

• Pre-orders for the iPhone 5 will begin on Friday, September 14 and Apple will begin shipping the new device on September 21.

• iOS 6 will be released September 19th. Apple has a full preview of the new OS online (http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/).

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
When does the iphone 6 come out?

The Rick
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
When does the iphone 6 come out?
Only 365 more days! :)

Guru
09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Disappointed that they had to raise the price on the ipod touch.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I have a upgrade with Sprint, debating if I should get the Iphone 5 or the Galaxy S III

SLAG
09-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a upgrade with Sprint, debating if I should get the Iphone 5 or the Galaxy S III

If you don't have anything invested in iTunes - I highly suggest the GSIII

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Are you crazy? SAPPHIRE MOTHER FUCKING CRYSTAL MAN!

KevB
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm due on October 1st and I'm hoping to know at that point whether the Note 2 will be coming to Sprint. It's gigantic for a phone, but I mostly use my phone as a multimedia device now anyway. Most of my phone conversations are bluetooth hands free in my car. Rumor is the Note 2 is going to have quad core Exynos and reviews so far have all been positive if you're down with the size.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Why do you guys have Sprint? Theres no LTE on there.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Um, yes there is.. and we had 4g first! I had 4g(WiMax) 3 years ago next month.

Texas has Sprint LTE right now.

Mr. Arrowhead
for me mostly is price, with my company I work for I get 25% off my total bill

DaFace

Well, not MUCH anyway. They do have LTE in KC and a few other markets.

As for me, I'm on Sprint because I'm still on a SERO plan and don't want to pay more. :)

Mr. Arrowhead
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Yes that what im leaning towards, and Sprint also said that I Phone cannot get 4G service for whatever reason

Silock
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Anyone want to sell me their AT&T Iphone 4s now that it is outdated?

Sure, assuming you're being serious.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 04:40 PM

I think Texas and MAYBE KC has it. Sprint is about 2 or 3 years behind Verizon in total LTE infrastructure. WiMax is dead

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I think Texas and MAYBE KC has it. Sprint is about 2 or 3 years behind Verizon in total LTE infrastructure. WiMax is dead

WiMax is FAR from dead. That's crazy talk. It is dying for sure. But saying it's dead implies that the millions of devices no longer work and no longer have damn fast speeds. They still work and they are still fast. I don;t know of any set in stone plan to decommission the WiMax network.

As for Sprint LTE they currently are online in 19 metropolitan areas across Kansas, Georgia, Texas and Missouri. AND will have full coverage in TWO years. With 100 more cities online in the next few (my guess is 6) months.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Sprint offer dual-access phones that can load balance both LTE and WiMax. That would be pretty freaking awesome and would blow the DOORS off anything else on the market.

DaFace
09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
You knew it was coming...
http://androidandme.com/2012/09/smartphones-2/samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents

Samsung, HTC to block US, EU sales of Apple iPhone 5 using LTE patents

Apple may have come out on top when a jury ruled that dozens of Samsung phones infringed on Apple patents and trade dress, but that doesn’t mean Samsung and other Android OEMs will simply let the new iPhone 5 hit the market without a bit or resistance. There are at least a dozen Android powered devices being prepped to battle the iPhone 5 in the marketplace, but HTC and Samsung may be holding trump cards that could give them a legal edge to block the iPhone 5 from ever hitting store shelves.

It turns out that the iPhone 5 will be using the LTE radio standard for high-speed data transfer – a standard based on hundreds of different patents, some of which are held by HTC and Samsung. According to an industry source, “Samsung Electronics has decided to take immediate legal action against the Cupertino-based Apple. Countries in Europe and even the United States ― Apple’s home-turf ― are our primary targets.” Samsung has not taken any legal action yet, but we expect a patent infringement lawsuit to be filed in the following weeks.

On the HTC side, the legal battle is already under way. HTC has presented its patent claims before a US International Trade Commission Judge. The legal battle is still playing out, but Judge Thomas Pender has let Apple know that “Clear and convincing means something to me; I have to be pretty darn certain a US patent is invalid,” when Apple lawyers disputed the validity of HTC’s LTE patents. HTC has been on the forefront of LTE since it launched the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon’s LTE network in 2011 and has supplied LTE-enabled devices for all major LTE networks across the globe.

We doubt that the courts will move fast enough to issue a preliminary injunction against Apple, which would hinder the initial launch of the iPhone 5, but it does look like Apple will be on the defensive this time around. Apple has 434 LTE patents of its own, but all Samsung and HTC need is for Apple to infringe on one of their patents to justify a court ordered injunction against the iPhone 5.

While many of you would be thrilled to see Apple suffer at the hands of Samsung and HTC, we hope the parties involved will use this as an opportunity to settle their legal differences once and for all and set up cross-licensing agreements, so they can all compete with their products rather than spend millions of dollars on lawyers. We can all agree that the patent wars within the mobile space have gotten completely out of hand.

I think the bolded part is key. Hopefully this will get us closer to reform in how all this shit is handled.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I think the bolded part is key. Hopefully this will get us closer to reform in how all this shit is handled.

I agree... but I also have to add.. HAHAHAHAHAHA

HTC has Apple by the balls on this one.

In a perfect world, HTC will get an injunction in time and there will be public outrage that reforms the entire process and keeps Apple from pulling shit like this in the future.

WV
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM

After this non-event iPhone 5 release that is the way I'm leaning. I was waiting for some news on release day to make me want to switch to the iPhone, but there wasn't any. More of the same.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
WiMax is FAR from dead. That's crazy talk. It is dying for sure. But saying it's dead implies that the millions of devices no longer work and no longer have damn fast speeds. They still work and they are still fast. I don;t know of any set in stone plan to decommission the WiMax network.

As for Sprint LTE they currently are online in 19 metropolitan areas across Kansas, Georgia, Texas and Missouri. AND will have full coverage in TWO years. With 100 more cities online in the next few (my guess is 6) months.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Sprint offer dual-access phones that can load balance both LTE and WiMax. That would be pretty freaking awesome and would blow the DOORS off anything else on the market.

Sprint is the only company that uses WiMax and they no longer are progressing its technology. All the new handsets are primed for LTE. LTE has the obvious edge in speed and penetration, not to mention will be the global standard. Basically the entire industry has given up on WiMax. It was cool 4 years ago but so was myspace. Go ahead and read the very first sentence of this article written almost a year ago.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/102011-tech-arguments-lte-wimax-252225.html

19 metro areas huh? LMAO Good luck on that 2 year plan.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Sprint is the only company that uses WiMax and they no longer are progressing its technology. All the new handsets are primed for LTE. LTE has the obvious edge in speed and penetration, not to mention will be the global standard. Basically the entire industry has given up on WiMax. It was cool 4 years ago but so was myspace. Go ahead and read the very first sentence of this article written almost a year ago.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/102011-tech-arguments-lte-wimax-252225.html

19 metro areas huh? LMAO Good luck on that 2 year plan.

Oh agree on WiMax not being pushed forward. i am just saying that the best solution would be to leave the existing infrastructure in place for the next 4-5 years and leverage it with dual access load balanced devices.

As for LTE rollout, 19 metro areas NOW, 100 in progress and coming online daily. I'm not sure why you think 2 years isn;t completely reasonable.. because it is. By two years I mean, two FULL years. not the beginning of 2014, closer to the very end.

You'll start to see it pop up in LA before the end of the year.

Gravedigger
09-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Sprint is the only carrier to go with, why would you even bother going with Verizon or ATT or any company that doesn't give you an unlimited data plan. Everything revolves around data nowadays and the companies use this to get the most out of their clients. Ride the free wave as long as it lasts because unless there is a recession in the phone companies a deal like that won't come along for awhile. I'd take an unlimited plan and WiMax over 4GLTE and ridiculous bills. Even the basic plans of Sprint are cheaper than the basic plans of Verizon. I love Sprint, and the fact that they are headquartered here in KC means we are the first to get the technology so we already have 4G LTE. So get out of here with that Sprint is behind bullshit.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Sprint is the only carrier to go with, why would you even bother going with Verizon or ATT or any company that doesn't give you an unlimited data plan. Everything revolves around data nowadays and the companies use this to get the most out of their clients. Ride the free wave as long as it lasts because unless there is a recession in the phone companies a deal like that won't come along for awhile. I'd take an unlimited plan and WiMax over 4GLTE and ridiculous bills. Even the basic plans of Sprint are cheaper than the basic plans of Verizon. I love Sprint, and the fact that they are headquartered here in KC means we are the first to get the technology so we already have 4G LTE. So get out of here with that Sprint is behind bullshit.

You'd think that would be true.,.. but for some weird reason they launched in Texas first(by a very small margin) in the case of WiMax and pretty sure with LTE as well. Which is fine by me! :D

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Im glad that Sprint works well for you in KC man, really I am. But where I live and work in So Cal Sprint is a flat out joke. Its probably because of the topography, network overload, challenges with cell tower placement in certain communities, WHATEVER it may be out here that you guys dont have to deal with out there but it flat out sucks.

And the Unlimited data is a farce. Its only unlimited on THEIR network and so many areas around here are roaming youre not even getting unlimited there. But setting aside that for a sec, if you are getting Unlimited the network is so shitty either youre not getting a signal or its so slow (around 1 MBPS) that its not even worth it. If I gave you Unlimited All you could eat at Taco Bell, or a Filet Mignon at a nice steak house which one are you going to take?

So lets take at look at the price myth really quick:

2 smart phones with "unlimited" data, 1500 minutes, and unlimited messaging on Sprint costs $150

2 smart phones with 4GB of shared data (more than enough for typical user, and before you go into the BS about how YOU use 10 GBs a month just consider for a sec that 95% of ALL smart phone users use LESS than 2GB a month), unlimited minutes, unlimited messaging costs $150

ITS THE SAME PRICE.

So since the coverage is clearly better, the pricing is basically negligible, lets consider the question you asked in the first sentence. Dont brush aside LTE like it doesnt matter, it matters. People here in LA know Sprint is a joke ALREADY. Add into it that there is ZERO LTE coverage here and now we have this monstrosity iPhone about to launch and one of its KEY features is that it finally offers its customers LTE, why would you go with Sprint when nation wide it offers 19 markets and Verizon has almost 400 already covered?

Again, you have Sprint and use Android and you live in LTE, good for you. But theres about 200 million other people that dont. And will continue not to. Personally I see Sprint close to becoming extinct.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Another big adavantage Verizon has, especially with iPhone users, is that Verizon will carrier unlock the phone for international usage after 60 days or right away if its an existing customer. Thats something that Sprint AND At&t doesnt do, and it's HUGE.

DaFace
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Im glad that Sprint works well for you in KC man, really I am. But where I live and work in So Cal Sprint is a flat out joke. Its probably because of the topography, network overload, challenges with cell tower placement in certain communities, WHATEVER it may be out here that you guys dont have to deal with out there but it flat out sucks.

And the Unlimited data is a farce. Its only unlimited on THEIR network and so many areas around here are roaming youre not even getting unlimited there. But setting aside that for a sec, if you are getting Unlimited the network is so shitty either youre not getting a signal or its so slow (around 1 MBPS) that its not even worth it. If I gave you Unlimited All you could eat at Taco Bell, or a Filet Mignon at a nice steak house which one are you going to take?

2 smart phones with "unlimited" data, 1500 minutes, and unlimited messaging on Sprint costs $150

2 smart phones with 4GB of shared data (more than enough for typical user, and before you go into the BS about how YOU use 10 GBs a month just consider for a sec that 95% of ALL smart phone users use LESS than 2GB a month), unlimited minutes, unlimited messaging costs $150

ITS THE SAME PRICE.

So since the coverage is clearly better, the pricing is basically negligible, lets consider the question you asked in the first sentence. Dont brush aside LTE like it doesnt matter, it matters. People here in LA know Sprint is a joke ALREADY. Add into it that there is ZERO LTE coverage here and now we have this monstrosity iPhone about to launch and one of its KEY features is that it finally offers its customers LTE, why would you go with Sprint when nation wide it offers 19 markets and Verizon has almost 400 already covered?

Again, you have Sprint and use Android and you live in LTE, good for you. But theres about 200 million other people that dont. And will continue not to. Personally I see Sprint close to becoming extinct.

I know it's cheating, but I pay $100 (after tax) for two smartphones on Sprint with unlimited everything. :)

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I know it's cheating, but I pay $100 (after tax) for two smartphones on Sprint with unlimited everything. :)

Damn that's a good deal. Keep that as long as you can man. Haha

WoodDraw
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree... but I also have to add.. HAHAHAHAHAHA

HTC has Apple by the balls on this one.

In a perfect world, HTC will get an injunction in time and there will be public outrage that reforms the entire process and keeps Apple from pulling shit like this in the future.

There is approximately .001% of HTC or Samsung could win an injunction over standards patents. The whole purpose of them is to avoid shit like this.

JASONSAUTO
09-12-2012, 08:36 PM

I have one.

Fits in the pocket of any of jeans I own.

I can easily use it one handed too.

I use it for everything
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I can't believe how anti-climactic this announcement was.

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I have one.

Fits in the pocket of any of jeans I own.

I can easily use it one handed too.

I use it for everything
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to be able to draw cocks on every pic I take.

JASONSAUTO
09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I want to be able to draw cocks on every pic I take.

Lol, I'm no good at that shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Pantalones
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Sweet. I have an iPhone 4 but my upgrade (I have Verizon) isn't until February though. Love the iPhone. I'll never have another type of phone. It does everything.

Great Expectations
09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm due on October 1st and I'm hoping to know at that point whether the Note 2 will be coming to Sprint. It's gigantic for a phone, but I mostly use my phone as a multimedia device now anyway. Most of my phone conversations are bluetooth hands free in my car. Rumor is the Note 2 is going to have quad core Exynos and reviews so far have all been positive if you're down with the size.

I'm also going to get the note II. I've been eligible for an uprade for 3 months, but was waiting to see what the iPhone 5 had to offer. Now I'm just hoping the Note II is available on AT&T on Oct 15.

AustinChief
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM

I don't know where you are in LA but I can tell you that Sprint in San Diego was FAR better than ATT. (no idea regarding Verizon) And Sprint was great along the coast in LA (Venice, Santa Monica, etc) but I imagine everything is fine on the coast. Of course nobody had WiMax or LTE back when I lived there.. even though WiMax was available seemingly everywhere else. Sprint may just hate LA. I know I do! :D

Throughout Texas, Sprint is badass. Cheap, great WiMax and LTE coverage and Google Wallet. The ONLY advantage Verizon has here is the NFL Network. Which Sprint used to have... but lost...fuckers.

Johnny Vegas
09-13-2012, 01:44 AM

I have unlimited data with Verizon. The only way to retain that is to buy all my future phones at full retail price. I can never sign a new contract.

The Bad Guy
09-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Just sold my 4s to Amazon for 395 account credit.

Not too bad.

penguinz
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Sweet. I have an iPhone 4 but my upgrade (I have Verizon) isn't until February though. Love the iPhone. I'll never have another type of phone. It does everything.All the android phones with NFC and micro sd slots do not agree with this.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Its pretty ridiculous that you cant expand the memory and 16 gigs costs and extra $100. I can buy a 32GB micro SD for $30 bucks man!

BWillie
09-13-2012, 11:01 AM

ITS THE SAME PRICE.

I pay $71 a month and have an EVO. People have Sprint because it's cheap and unlimited data. I actually think they have pretty good customer service now compared to years ago when it was so bad. Would I prefer to have Verizon? Yeah, but it's twice as much and I don't think it's unlimited data. I've travel quite a bit when I've had Sprint, just not to the east coast, and I really have had very few coverage concerns that would make me want to switch. I've known ppl with AT&T and T-Mobile and all they do is complain about coverage. Only reason I will leave Sprint is for the Samsung Note if they do not get it.

Bob Dole
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Throughout Texas, Sprint is badass. Cheap, great WiMax and LTE coverage and Google Wallet. The ONLY advantage Verizon has here is the NFL Network. Which Sprint used to have... but lost...****ers.

You don't travel east much...

AndChiefs
09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I pay $71 a month and have an EVO. People have Sprint because it's cheap and unlimited data. I actually think they have pretty good customer service now compared to years ago when it was so bad. Would I prefer to have Verizon? Yeah, but it's twice as much and I don't think it's unlimited data. I've travel quite a bit when I've had Sprint, just not to the east coast, and I really have had very few coverage concerns that would make me want to switch. I've known ppl with AT&T and T-Mobile and all they do is complain about coverage. Only reason I will leave Sprint is for the Samsung Note if they do not get it.

I pay $65/month on Verizon for unlimited data, 400 anytime minutes (who uses that anyways), and unlimited texts.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2012, 11:20 AM

You must have a discount through work or another institution like a credit union or something, Verizon offers the same discounts. The cheapest single line smart phone plan Sprint offers on the LOWEST minute package is $80 a month before taxes. Verizon has a plan very comparable or maybe ten bucks more a month.

Definitely not "twice as much". You guys are high if you think Sprint is THAT much cheaper than Verizon. Where do you get this shit? LMAO

Fish
09-13-2012, 11:23 AM
All the android phones with NFC and micro sd slots do not agree with this.

Apple shunned NFC on purpose. Probably not a good idea in many regards. But they did so because they're trying to incorporate their own similar system. Called Passbook (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/delta_sheraton_ticketmaster_add_support_for_passbook_in_ios_6). They're trying to do the same things as NFC, but with classic Apple Nazi control. It looks slick for what it's supposed to do, but the fact that they gave NFC the finger and are trying their own version will probably result in slower adoption of the technology as a whole.

Here's what an expert had to say:

The thing to remember is that Apple has never felt the need to rush to be first. It came late to the MP3 market, the phone market and the tablet market, and it now dominates all of them. The company is more interested in developing a complete solution that will immediately deliver a great deal of value to users. I see Passbook evolving over time and eventually incorporating NFC, so while I plan to upgrade my iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5, I will eagerly wait to see if the iPhone 6 includes NFC functionality.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/blog/entry/9901/

BWillie
09-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I pay $65/month on Verizon for unlimited data, 400 anytime minutes (who uses that anyways), and unlimited texts.

Please advise how you do this? Do you have an old flip phone or something? I honestly don't care about minutes, I probably use 250 minutes a month.

AndChiefs
09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Please advise how you do this? Do you have an old flip phone or something? I honestly don't care about minutes, I probably use 250 minutes a month.

I've been with them for a long time and have had the same plan for years. I've got a Droid 2 right now but I'm due for an upgrade fairly soon.

From what I hear they've stopped giving out unlimited plans (even with just upgrades) so I doubt you'd be able to get anything similar. I think I've just gotten lucky due to being loyal. I haven't had an increase in the cost of my plan for several years.

Fish
09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
What's really surprising to me with the release of iOS 6, is that just about every one of the "New features" they've been lauding are already available via jailbreak on iOS5.

Free turn by turn navigation.
Expanded Siri capabilities to translate, change settings, load apps, etc.
Facebook integration.
Passbook.
Facetime over cellular.
Do Not Disturb and other response options.
Improved Mail.
Panoramic photos.

All of that is a direct result of prior jailbreak only functionality. I'm doing all of that, with a few limited exceptions, right now with jailbroken iOS5.

Apple would never admit it, but the jailbreak community provides as much innovation for their product as do their own engineers.

DaFace
09-13-2012, 01:57 PM
What's really surprising to me with the release of iOS 6, is that just about every one of the "New features" they've been lauding are already available via jailbreak on iOS5.

Free turn by turn navigation.
Expanded Siri capabilities to translate, change settings, load apps, etc.
Facebook integration.
Passbook.
Facetime over cellular.
Do Not Disturb and other response options.
Improved Mail.
Panoramic photos.

All of that is a direct result of prior jailbreak only functionality. I'm doing all of that, with a few limited exceptions, right now with jailbroken iOS5.

Apple would never admit it, but the jailbreak community provides as much innovation for their product as do their own engineers.

Android's the same way. In fact, probably even moreso given that they can just about pluck the code right out of a repository and plop it into their own versions.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=youtube_gda

jd1020
09-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Some people's children.

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any iPhone. They all look the same to me.

GordonGekko
09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

This just made me realize, I don't hate Apple.

They are a great American co. kicking international butt.

But I hate the dickwads that buy only Apple because it is Apple, and have they no fucking clue what products they are using and refuse to look at alternatives out there because they are not Apple. These people are in this category.

penguinz
09-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Apple shunned NFC on purpose. Probably not a good idea in many regards. But they did so because they're trying to incorporate their own similar system. Called Passbook (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/delta_sheraton_ticketmaster_add_support_for_passbook_in_ios_6). They're trying to do the same things as NFC, but with classic Apple Nazi control. It looks slick for what it's supposed to do, but the fact that they gave NFC the finger and are trying their own version will probably result in slower adoption of the technology as a whole.

Here's what an expert had to say:

http://www.rfidjournal.com/blog/entry/9901/They shunned it so they have a feature to offer in the iphone6 to get the lemmings to spend another $200 plus on when it comes out.

Urc Burry
09-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Alright I plan on ordering it tomorrow but I'm in a jiffy. I have 10 gbs at the moment so I planned on getting the 32gb. But someone brought up that I could just use that iCloud thing. Would that be worth it to do that and just get the 16gb, or still go ahead and get the 32gb

DaFace
09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
OK, I had to post this. I fully acknowledge that these types of things always focus on the funny ones, but still...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rdIWKytq_q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2012, 05:23 PM
OK, I had to post this. I fully acknowledge that these types of things always focus on the funny ones, but still...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rdIWKytq_q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uhh five posts up

jd1020
09-13-2012, 05:24 PM
uhh five posts up

Shhh. It's a completely different video and it's better than the previous video.

DaFace
09-13-2012, 05:27 PM
uhh five posts up

Oops. Mine's better - it's embedded. :D

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2012, 07:37 PM

LMAO

What a bunch of fucking lemmings.

Fish
09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Apple iPhone 5 Vs Samsung Galaxy S III – The Ultimate Comparison Of The Smartphone Kings
By Ben Reid | September 13th, 2012

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s-iii-the-ultimate-comparison-of-the-smartphone-kings/

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/iphone5gs3.png

Guru
09-13-2012, 08:51 PM
winner Galaxy

Guru
09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
By the way, what was the purpose of putting Siri on the iPod Touch?

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2012, 08:55 PM
My S3 has a dual core processor but it does have 2 gigs of RAM. I think those are the specs of the European version.

Fish
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
winner Galaxy

You didn't read past the first line did you?

DaFace
09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
What is "native ticketing support"?

-King-
09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
6 more months till the iphone 5S.

Cant wait!

DaFace
09-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Well, pure spec-to-spec comparison, the SIII appears to be equal or better in just about every category. But then, hardware specs have never been the selling point of the iPhones.

Guru
09-13-2012, 09:01 PM

I didn't even look at the first line. I based that on the rest of the lines.

Fish
09-13-2012, 09:07 PM
What is "native ticketing support"?

Apple's Passbook. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/delta_sheraton_ticketmaster_add_support_for_passbook_in_ios_6

Fish
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I didn't even look at the first line. I based that on the rest of the lines.

I know just trying to be funny. Galaxy certainly beats iPhone 5 on those specs. No argue from me. But it's closer than I expected it to be.

Guru
09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I know just trying to be funny. Galaxy certainly beats iPhone 5 on those specs. No argue from me. But it's closer than I expected it to be.

If apple would just allow for an sd slot and lower the price they would easily dominate.

those are the two biggest things I hate about apple.

AustinChief
09-13-2012, 10:00 PM

The ONLy stuff I see iPhone winning on is...

Form factor (thinner) - this is silly but kinda cool, I couldn't care less about weight but thinner is slightly better
Processor Speed - this is a GUESS, but I'd guess that the new A6 is slightly faster than an SIII with a dual core
iOS6 maps - also a guess, but I'm betting it will be better than Google maps until their next big update. No way in hell Apple will be able to keep pace in the long run though. Well, I guess they could, but it would take a massive infrastructure investment that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they really plan to go completely head to head with Google.

Nothing else that they may be "better" on matters in the least to me or really anybody. Passbook is the ultra-ghetto version of NFC. No way can anyone tell me a QR Code on a screen is better than an encrypted radio signal.

NewChief
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
This is a bad sign for Apple:
http://www.salon.com/2012/09/13/apples_enormous_insult/

THURSDAY, SEP 13, 2012 01:02 PM CDT
Apple’s enormous insult
The iPhone 5's new dock connector is a sign of arrogance and the harbinger of decline
BY ANDREW LEONARD
220 85
more
TOPICS: APPLE, IPHONE, IPHONE 5, SAMSUNG, SMART PHONES, STEVE JOBS

A hotly contested presidential election hits the stretch run, a deadly foreign policy crisis breaks out in the Arab world, new census figures prove that the richest Americans are still gaining on everyone else … and yet one of the most alarming stories of the week (judging by my perhaps unbalanced Twitter feed) appears to be the news that Apple’s iPhone 5 will come with a brand-new dock connector. A dock connector that will be incompatible with all previous iPhone-connected devices — chargers, docking stations, etc.

Really, Apple? Haven’t we suffered enough? The news drove Slate’s normally calm and measured Farhad Manjoo into a froth of rage and sarcasm. I feel his pain. Just two months ago, my children gave me a Sony “Dream Machine” docking station for my iPhone 4S that works very nicely as a combination clock radio/stereo. But if I dare upgrade to the iPhone 5, I would have to plunk down an additional $29 for what Manjoo describes as an “ungainly” adapter to keep my Dream Machine functional. Yes, Farhad, I agree, that is indeed “the definition of being unfriendly to your customers.”

I don’t know which is worse — the application of the word “ungainly” to an Apple product, or the fact that Apple doesn’t appear to realize that the median family household income in the U.S. declined again in 2011. Apple’s move is an insult on at least two levels: In these tough times, we can’t afford to add adapters to all our existing Apple chargers and related devices. Perhaps even more disappointingly, who among us isn’t affronted by the thought of an ugly adapter clashing with Apple’s sublime design aesthetic?

But there’s a bigger picture here. Apple is notorious for leaping ahead with design changes that are initially met with grumbling but prove to be far-sighted. The iMac’s lack of a floppy drive is the canonical example. One could argue that Steve Jobs had a unique ability to see into the future, that his decisions represented progress. Apple executives argue that the new iPhone required a different dock connector for design reasons — the old dock connector was too big for the slimmed down iPhone 5, and the new dock connector will (eventually) allow for speedier data flow. See? More progress!

But Apple’s decision also plugs into a different frame, one in which the new dock connector represents a giant step backward. In the non-Apple world, it has become easier and easier to connect devices made by different manufacturers together. This kind of increasingly seamless interoperability has the advantage not just of making our technological lives less cluttered, but also less expensive. Apple is bucking that trend. No, wait, that’s not strong enough. Try this: Apple is successfully turning back the tide of computer progress! Apple is warping the space-time continuum in the wrong direction!

The world of phone chargers offers the clearest possible example of this thesis. Most of the world’s phone manufacturers have finally coalesced around a single standard for docking connectors — micro USB. That means my children’s Samsung phones can use the same charger as my mom’s HTC phone. That means when my son forgets to take his charger on vacation, we’re all covered — he borrows grandma’s. This is great. This is civilized. This saves me cash. It’s a strike against relentless obsolescence, obviating the need to fill up landfills with out-of-date chargers. This is how everything should work. Plug and play, baby. Plug. And. Play.

Apple shrugs. Instead of joining this one-world utopia of interoperability, Apple is replacing its own unique, incompatible-with-everyone-else dock connector with a new dock connector that is incompatible with itself.

We don’t have to look far to understand why Apple has chosen this path. Aside from anything mandated by the physical design of the new iPhone, controlling a unique interface for a hugely popular consumer device ensures a steady flow of profits.

Farhad Manjoo:

By picking a proprietary dock, Apple will remain in charge of the bustling accessory market. Not only will it get to keep charging accessory makers a licensing fee to connect with its devices, but it will also be able to reject any accessories that it doesn’t like. And one day in the future, it will be able to decide, once again, to throw the whole industry under the bus by changing the dock again.

What’s so crazy here is that if you had suggested to anyone 10 years ago that Apple would have the marketplace power to impose incompatible design changes on cellphones, you would have been thought at best an imbecile, at worst potentially homicidally insane. The arc of computing progress did not bend in that direction. Computer hardware manufacturers or software developers who ignored this did so at their peril.

Apple itself was widely seen as the best evidence for this fundamental truth! Personal computers running Microsoft Windows and powered by Intel processors were open to anyone, anywhere to tinker with and add or substract hardware, and they completely dominated the computing world. Meanwhile, Apple’s decision to maintain total control over its own hardware was seen as self-defeating, as limiting its market share to the most devout true believers.

Advocates of free or open-source software took the argument even further. Opening up the code itself to everyone was thought to be the most robust paradigm for the future of software development. You couldn’t stop a world full of coders willing to share the products of their labor for the benefit of all. Or so the theory went. Now it doesn’t look so clearcut — mainly thanks to Apple. That’s the true genius of Steve Jobs. He resurrected a model of old-school tech monopoly that everyone else thought was broken.

The question raised by the new dock connector is just how long can Apple continue to execute this kind of our-way-or-the-highway strategy with impunity? In the short term, there’s nothing to fear. Apple’s going to sell a bajillion iPhone 5s. Apple just won a very big patent infringement victory over Samsung. Apple is the most valuable company in history! It can do what it wants.

Until, some day, it can’t. Until users decide, hey, that new Samsung is just as good as the new iPhone and it is just so much less of a hassle to use it with my other devices, because, you know, it just works.

We don’t seem to be anywhere near that day right now. But if the history of personal computing teaches us anything it is that change can happen in less time than it takes to unplug a phone charger. And annoying your own users is the best possible way to start down that road.

AustinChief
09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
This is a bad sign for Apple:
http://www.salon.com/2012/09/13/apples_enormous_insult/

Dear God, I agree with the weannies at Salon...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365

NewChief
09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Dear God, I agree with the weannies at Salon...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365

My point exactly.

AustinChief
09-13-2012, 10:17 PM
The ONLy stuff I see iPhone winning on is...

Form factor (thinner) - this is silly but kinda cool, I couldn't care less about weight but thinner is slightly better
Processor Speed - this is a GUESS, but I'd guess that the new A6 is slightly faster than an SIII with a dual core
iOS6 maps - also a guess, but I'm betting it will be better than Google maps until their next big update. No way in hell Apple will be able to keep pace in the long run though. Well, I guess they could, but it would take a massive infrastructure investment that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they really plan to go completely head to head with Google.

Nothing else that they may be "better" on matters in the least to me or really anybody. Passbook is the ultra-ghetto version of NFC. No way can anyone tell me a QR Code on a screen is better than an encrypted radio signal.

Well that was quick..I'm wrong already! :D

Just did further research on Apple Maps and it looks like they are pretty far behind Google in many ways and I have serious doubts they will ever catch up. (but it certainly LOOKED cool before I did the research... damn! I was hoping it would seriously push Google to get better faster)

Fish
09-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, the A series CPUs are pretty cool. Ironically... the A6 is made by none other than Samsung.. LOL.. But the A6 is really impressive chip to be honest.

Analyst says iPhone 5 processor is dual-core Cortex-A15 (http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4396151/Apple-A6-processor-is-dual-core-Cortex-A15)
Peter Clarke

9/13/2012 4:54 AM EDT

LONDON – The A6 processor inside Apple's iPhone 5 mobile phone is a dual-core Cortex-A15 manufactured for Apple by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. in its 32-nm HKMG manufacturing process, according to analysts at Nomura Equity Research.

This would mean Apple is one of the first companies to introduce a Cortex-A15-based processor. Cortex-A15 is the highest performance processor core from intellectual property licensor ARM Holdings plc (Cambridge, England).

Samsung said it had started sampling the industry's first dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor late in 2011, the Exynos 5250, made with its 32-nm HKMG process and intended for volume shipment in summer 2012. The Exynos 5250 includes Mali graphics, and is intended for use in high-end tablet computers. Its 2-GHz clock frequency is claimed to double the performance of the previous 1.5-GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 based Exynos.

Apple provided few details when it launched the iPhone 5 on Wednesday (Sept. 12) about the smartphone's application processor and graphics capability. The company did say the A6 processor provided twice the CPU performance and twice the graphics performance of the A5x used in the iPhone 4S.

Nomura provided no source for its report nor a clock frequency for the processor. Typically, mobile phone application processors run with clock signals of up to 1.5 GHz. However, designing in the Cortex-A15 could help explain how Apple has achieved performance equivalent to the iPhone 4S

Apple is expected to retain graphics IP licensor Imagination Technologies Group for the graphics rendering portion of the chip. The Apple A5 processor is reported to use the dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2, so the A6 could use the quad-core version, the PowerVR SGX543MP4.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (Hsinchu, Taiwan) was reportedly working on a version of the A6 processor for Apple in 2011. It was rumored then to be a quad-core design for implementation in 28-nm manufacturing process and was expected to debut in the third-generation iPad.

If Samsung is the sole supplier of the A6 processor – as indicated by Nomura analysts – this squares with recent predictions that TSMC is working on pulling in its 20-nm process and working to supply Apple in the second-half of 2013 using that process.

Fish
09-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Well that was quick..I'm wrong already! :D

Just did further research on Apple Maps and it looks like they are pretty far behind Google in many ways and I have serious doubts they will ever catch up. (but it certainly LOOKED cool before I did the research... damn! I was hoping it would seriously push Google to get better faster)

What do you mean? Could you share some links?

AustinChief
09-13-2012, 10:52 PM
What do you mean? Could you share some links?

ah man! I'd have to google shit again! :D Basically a few spots saying after testing it, it feels like a stripped down, older version of Google Maps. Just the fact that Google has such a huge head start on CONTENT that Apple doesn't quite match (for example instead of Google Places they use Yelp info)

My personal feeling is that it won't big a huge deal.. especially since I imagine you can just install the Google Maps app.

Fish
09-13-2012, 11:21 PM
ah man! I'd have to google shit again! :D Basically a few spots saying after testing it, it feels like a stripped down, older version of Google Maps. Just the fact that Google has such a huge head start on CONTENT that Apple doesn't quite match (for example instead of Google Places they use Yelp info)

My personal feeling is that it won't big a huge deal.. especially since I imagine you can just install the Google Maps app.

I've got iOS 6 running on an iPad at work. And I have to say that I've been really impressed with Maps. It all looks very clean, and works very well. You're right about the content though in one regard. Apple Maps lacks a Google Street View. Their 3D mapping is only available for much larger cities. The 3D mapping is absolutely incredible though. Literally exactly like Google Earth 3D.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8224/120726maps1.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/580/120726maps2.png

More info comparing them here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/26/new_google_earth_3d_cities_not_as_detailed_as_apple_ios_6_maps.html

But that said, the 3D only covers a handful of cities, and Google Street View gives Google the edge at this point in time. I think Apple Maps does the rest of the stuff, turn by turn and routing and traffic stuff, just as well or slightly better than Android's built in.

It looks really good in person. I could probably record a demo at work...

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I've got iOS 6 running on an iPad at work. And I have to say that I've been really impressed with Maps. It all looks very clean, and works very well. You're right about the content though in one regard. Apple Maps lacks a Google Street View. Their 3D mapping is only available for much larger cities. The 3D mapping is absolutely incredible though. Literally exactly like Google Earth 3D.

More info comparing them here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/26/new_google_earth_3d_cities_not_as_detailed_as_apple_ios_6_maps.html

But that said, the 3D only covers a handful of cities, and Google Street View gives Google the edge at this point in time. I think Apple Maps does the rest of the stuff, turn by turn and routing and traffic stuff, just as well or slightly better than Android's built in.

It looks really good in person. I could probably record a demo at work...

I wouldn't say EXACTLY.. I'd say right now Apple's 3D looks better but that won't last long.

And as you pointed out Google maps is years ahead in things like street view though. Hell, they have a street view of my favorite PUB now... not from the street... from INSIDE the pub. That is all sort of crazy awesome.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bull+McCabes,+714+Red+River+St,+Austin,+Travis,+Texas+78701-3311&layer=c&z=17&sll=30.268130,-97.736708&cid=15158701907792176408&panoid=eXm8t6o_m5OJ4vCXqNBtGg&cbp=13,10.155072462951484,,0,0&hl=en&ved=0CBEQ2wU&sa=X&ei=u8JSUO_dLqiGwgHP1YGABA

Combine that with all the walking, bus, train info and bike trails etc etc ... I just can't see how Apple could ever catch up without a MASSIVE investment that doesn't seem to make sense unless they are planning a major business model shift. Actually, now that I think about it.. that may be exactly what they are preparing for. No chance Apple could keep up with Google in this space...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/ap_google_glasses_kb_120627_wg.jpg

... without building out their own MAPS infrastructure.

Hmm. looks like we may be closer to this than I thought.

Fish
09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
LMAO

Apple Announces New iPhone With N-Word On Back Knowing Customers Will Buy It Anyway (http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-announces-new-iphone-with-nword-on-back-know,29531/)

SAN FRANCISCO—With CEO Tim Cook stating that desperate customers would surely “line up like idiots” to purchase the offensive product anyway, Apple announced today the release of the company’s new iPhone 5, which features the word “****er” boldly embossed on its back. “Sure, the new iPhone has the word ‘****er’ printed right on it, but we all know you pathetic losers will still buy it in droves, because, hell, you’ll buy anything we put out,” Cook said in a press conference, describing the lightweight smartphone that will include a larger high-resolution display and have the racial slur printed in 36-point Helvetica font directly on its back, as well as on every accessory sold for the product. “Our technology ensures the word will brightly light up through whatever cover or sticker you may use in an attempt to obscure it, so don’t even try. You are all very stupid and sheeplike, and I will enjoy watching this play out.” Cook followed the iPhone 5 announcement with a brief preview of the company’s updated iPad, which will feature a loud, unchangeable ringtone of Roseanne Barr repeatedly yelling “pillowbitergot.”

NewChief
09-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Has the price drop happened in retail stores already for the 4S? I've decided I'm not going with the 5.

mr. tegu
09-14-2012, 10:28 AM
So are people angry with version 5 for the new charging systems?

L.A. Chieffan
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Has the price drop happened in retail stores already for the 4S? I've decided I'm not going with the 5.

Yeah it's 99 in the Apple store

ZepSinger
09-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I ordered the iPhone5 for my wife this morning from the Sprint website- supposedly, she'll get it around the 21st. That's what she wanted, and she's very excited. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to succumb to Apple's elitist, arrogant culture and their hordes of like-minded fanboys.

Z (proud owner of the Galaxy Nexus)

DaveNull
09-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't say EXACTLY.. I'd say right now Apple's 3D looks better but that won't last long.

I've got iOS 6 on the phone now and the maps definitely exceeded my expectations. It's smooth, quick and I think easier to read than the Google Maps interface. Similar to the jump in readability between Mapquest and Google Maps when it first came out.

Turn by turn navigation (which was well overdue) works well too.

Passbook instead of NFC kind of makes sense at this point. Someone made a point about this earlier talking about what's standing in its way. Apple seems to be staying on the sidelines of mobile payments while literally everyone else tries to develop their own standard. That goes for outfits that make card readers now, credit card companies themselves, Google and each cell phone carrier. That's right...carriers. At least one carrier thinks they can roll out a payment system that will be exclusive to their subscribers. Dumb.

Anyhow..just getting people in the habit of using phones for things like payments would be a pretty big step for the non-nerd population in and of itself. A lot of normals will be pretty freaked out about replacing their wallet with just their phone, regardless of whether it's reasonable or not. This might be a nice springboard for that.

I love the idea about NFC for other stuff like saving configuration states and all that, we just haven't seen any real world implementations on a wide scale.

Fish
09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
One neat thing I liked about Passbook, was that it's location based. So using the theater chain they signed as an example, when a user is physically close to the theater, the theater ticket automatically shows up on the lock screen waiting for you to click it. Same with the airport. Get to the airport, and there's a little link waiting for you on your lockscreen to show you your ticket and info.

I don't think NFC is being used enough right now for them to feel much negative feedback from it. Although I really would have preferred NFC, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Apple would bet against it.

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I love the idea about NFC for other stuff like saving configuration states and all that, we just haven't seen any real world implementations on a wide scale.

I don't think NFC is being used enough right now for them to feel much negative feedback from it. Although I really would have preferred NFC, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Apple would bet against it.

Well, except for PayPass... pretty much every 7 Eleven, CVS, Taco Cabana, McDonalds, almost every gas pump, Whole Foods, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Petco, Diamond Shamrock, Valero, Chevron, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Braums, Abuelos, Foot Locker, American Eagle Outfitters, Macy's, Champs Sports, Brooks Brothers, Office Depot and my favorite... a GUN STORE down the road from my parents!

It's all over the place, you probably just don't notice it.

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Well, except for PayPass... pretty much every 7 Eleven, CVS, Taco Cabana, McDonalds, almost every gas pump, Whole Foods, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Petco, Diamond Shamrock, Valero, Chevron, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Braums, Abuelos, Foot Locker, American Eagle Outfitters, Macy's, Champs Sports, Brooks Brothers, Office Depot and my favorite... a GUN STORE down the road from my parents!

It's all over the place, you probably just don't notice it.

I mean, I guess. But it still is fairly useless. I can't link any of my cards. Google and the carriers are fighting each other so there's no standardization. So far NFC is useless to me. I'm guessing another year or two before we see anything approaching usefulness.

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I mean, I guess. But it still is fairly useless. I can't link any of my cards. Google and the carriers are fighting each other so there's no standardization. So far NFC is useless to me. I'm guessing another year or two before we see anything approaching usefulness.

Well actually if you are on Sprint or Virgin Mobile it works great and you can link any card you want. It definitely is a problem with Verizon and ATT not playing ball yet. Of course there is a hack to get it working on Verizon and Verizon users are pushing hard for them to make it available, so you may see that change soon.

UPDATE: apparently there is a hack for ATT and Tmobile as well, BUT who uses those losers anyway? :D

UPDATE UPDATE: When I say ANY card, I mean any VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover(and JCB)... your Diner's Club card may be out of luck!

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Well actually if you are on Sprint or Virgin Mobile it works great and you can link any card you want. It definitely is a problem with Verizon and ATT not playing ball yet. Of course there is a hack to get it working on Verizon and Verizon users are pushing hard for them to make it available, so you may see that change soon.

UPDATE: apparently there is a hack for ATT and Tmobile as well, BUT who uses those losers anyway? :D

I thought even on Sprint that they only partnered with one credit card company, but I could be wrong. I just looked up the carriers alternative (the name of which I've already forgotten) and they have partnered with more, but no one I have an account with.

Too me, the high point of NFC isn't even payment. I have a wallet - it takes me seconds to take out a card and swipe it. What I want is public transport, airline tickets, game tickets, etc. That infrastructure will take a long time to build out, but I dream of the day that I can just use my phone everywhere around the world and not have to bother with buying different transit cards, tickets, blah, blah.

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought even on Sprint that they only partnered with one credit card company, but I could be wrong. I just looked up the carriers alternative (the name of which I've already forgotten) and they have partnered with more, but no one I have an account with.

Too me, the high point of NFC isn't even payment. I have a wallet - it takes me seconds to take out a card and swipe it. What I want is public transport, airline tickets, game tickets, etc. That infrastructure will take a long time to build out, but I dream of the day that I can just use my phone everywhere around the world and not have to bother with buying different transit cards, tickets, blah, blah.

As of last month, Google now ties in any card you want without having to use a prepaid virtual card. Since they did, their usage has doubled.

They are already working on transit .. I think it is up and running in New Jersey. Yippee.

I don't know how long it will take to build out, but it's starting to pick up steam... and when it does, the ghetto-passport crap isn't going to cut it. Of course, Apple could easily add NFC next year and try to keep up.

Buehler445
09-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Someone fill me on NFC. WTF are we talking about here?

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Someone fill me on NFC. WTF are we talking about here?

No freakin Chicanos. Google hates Mexicans. It's a chip on your phone that alerts you to their presence and sets off an alarm. It's really starting to take off. Racists!

ok ok.. it's Near Field Communications.. it's a chip that let's your phone communicate securely with nearby readers... like those PAYPASS things you see at most gas pumps. So, if you have Google Wallet, you can register any number of credit cards and then just "swipe" your phone by a pad and pay for things. The plan is for it to not only handle purchases Like it does now, but also mass transit ticketing, sports tickets, loyalty cards, etc etc

It also ties into GPS to let special offers show up when you are near a specific spot or your Chiefs ticket popup when you reach teh stadium.. etc etc

The tech is in place and working but they need to get more info out about it and more end points on line.

Buehler445
09-14-2012, 09:18 PM
No freakin Chicanos. Google hates Mexicans. It's a chip on your phone that alerts you to their presence and sets off an alarm. It's really starting to take off. Racists!

ok ok.. it's Near Field Communications.. it's a chip that let's your phone communicate securely with nearby readers... like those PAYPASS things you see at most gas pumps. So, if you have Google Wallet, you can register any number of credit cards and then just "swipe" your phone by a pad and pay for things. The plan is for it to not only handle purchases Like it does now, but also mass transit ticketing, sports tickets, loyalty cards, etc etc

It also ties into GPS to let special offers show up when you are near a specific spot or your Chiefs ticket popup when you reach teh stadium.. etc etc

The tech is in place and working but they need to get more info out about it and more end points on line.

Cool thanks.

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
As of last month, Google now ties in any card you want without having to use a prepaid virtual card. Since they did, their usage has doubled.

They are already working on transit .. I think it is up and running in New Jersey. Yippee.

I don't know how long it will take to build out, but it's starting to pick up steam... and when it does, the ghetto-passport crap isn't going to cut it. Of course, Apple could easily add NFC next year and try to keep up.

Good deal - I agree with you on Apple btw. I was just making the point that the lack of widespread availability hurts NFC. You can have a phone with NFC, and a shop with NFC, and still not be able to use it.

Some level of standardization needs to happen. You'd think this would be a dream for most companies - the fights going to be over who controls the money. Google wants it, Apple will want it, and the carriers obviously want it.

I like Apple's idea, but I question if they can make it work.

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 10:37 PM
If I'm going to make the point, I guess I should describe it. I think Apple's Passbook is a brilliant idea - it just fails in the implementation. QR codes are a sloppy way to do these things. Have you ever tried to use one at the airport on your phone? It's very hit or miss. Handing your phone to someone and trying to get it to scan is very awkward.

I understand why Apple did it though. The infrastructure for NFC + tickets just isn't there. You can't partner with people that don't have the hardware to support what you're doing. It's disappointing to see Apple stand back instead of forcing the market forward; they could have done NFC + QR. That'll come next, I'm sure.

But the idea itself is great. I'm sure I have up to a dozen or two contactless cards for various things. And it's such a pain in the ass keeping them around and up to date I normally just buy a new one. Tickets are the same way. Not so much here, but in Europe you don't typically get "season tickets", you get a "season ticket card".

I know this is an Apple thread, and I hope they're thinking about it. Because Apple has the power to make it happen. I hope Google is too - they should invest in helping companies deploy NFC, because they could make a killing and beat the market. I worry a bit that it's going to go the proprietary route ("get in with your S III!"), but I hope not.

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 10:50 PM
btw.. here is another cool implementation of NFC http://www.samsung.com/us/microsite/tectile/ Even though it's made by Samsung it's not really proprietary. Here's Sony's version.. http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/xperia-smarttags/

You are right that the biggest hurdle right now is getting NFC adoption rates to be higher... BUT considering that the hardware is just recently hitting the market here in the USA it's hard to say how fast or slow it will take based on current rates. We'll know a lot more this time next year.

In Japan and Europe they are pretty far ahead already.. for example.. 11,500 post offices in Europe already use the tech.

http://www.slashgear.com/mobile-nfc-payments-hitting-11500-european-post-offices-31231134/

Oh and it isn't just Google Wallet. in Austin we also have ISIS although it is lagging far behind Google.. it is basically the same thing just a different app.. which is fine by me. I doubt most consumers care which app they use. In the end Isis is gonna have a TOUGH time keeping up with Google for usability though.

http://www.paywithisis.com/whatis.xhtml

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 11:07 PM
ISIS is the carrier version - that's the name I couldn't think of earlier. It'll do fine as long as everyone not named Sprint keeps Google off their network. Unless Google than decides to make Wallet a requirement to run proprietary Google apps. We shall see.

WoodDraw
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
In Japan and Europe they are pretty far ahead already.. for example.. 11,500 post offices in Europe already use the tech.

Europe actually struggles too. But they standardize quicker than we do, so hopefully soon. There is no reason the Oyster card in London shouldn't be phone capable. Everywhere else, I have doubts...

In Italy, you have people on the trains that physically check your ticket. On the buses, they do random inspections. In Spain, I'm sure they make a killing off people buying the t10 and losing them (ie me). France, same thing. I've lost that damn skinny ticket so often, or it just doesn't work.

You can still do the random checks with cards - in London they do - but you have to have the technology. And they are all so unionized it's going to take awhile to change.

Even in Chile and Argentina, where you have contactless cards, you still have to go some place to put money on it. Fucking maddening. But they have jobs they have too keep for those reasons.

It's going to take a long time to get this out. And we'll run into the same problems here. Asia is a bit different...

AustinChief
09-14-2012, 11:57 PM
ISIS is the carrier version - that's the name I couldn't think of earlier. It'll do fine as long as everyone not named Sprint keeps Google off their network. Unless Google then decides to make Wallet a requirement to run proprietary Google apps. We shall see.

Yep, I see no reason we can't have both. I think Google may start to push harder to get carriers to at least let people download it if they want to. It will all play out heavily over 2013.

I think the next big thing will be to see if Google can get one of the big ticket brokers on board. I know Ticketmaster is playing around with NFC now.. not sure if it will be Wallet or Isis or both. And as I pointed out, New Jersey is doing it now for busses. So, you know, Snooki is covered.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2012, 12:08 AM

Sprint is unbelievably retched in Los Angeles. 3G at best but usually no internet connection. Continual dropped calls. If we didn't have the employee plan through a family member, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

And I hate the iPhone 4s. It's ridiculously heavy in an Otterbox, the battery doesn't stay charged for more than 4 hours and I constantly delete emails by accident.

Big time buyer's remorse.

BWillie
09-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like thin phones? The thinner they are the more prone they are to drop and its just awkward fiddling around with them. After I got the extended battery for my Evo I actually liked the thicker phone. I've played with the SII and it is annoyingly thin.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like thin phones? The thinner they are the more prone they are to drop and its just awkward fiddling around with them. After I got the extended battery for my Evo I actually liked the thicker phone. I've played with the SII and it is annoyingly thin.

Just wait until they're the size of a microchip. Then you'll really hate them.

Cell phones should require some type of tool belt.

Guru
09-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Just wait until they're the size of a microchip. Then you'll really hate them.

Cell phones should require some type of tool belt.

Before long it will be a button behind your ear.

AustinChief
09-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Sprint is unbelievably retched in Los Angeles. 3G at best but usually no internet connection. Continual dropped calls. If we didn't have the employee plan through a family member, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

I have heard this now from multiple sources. I never saw it in San Diego(all over that area) or Santa Monica.. but I never went inland from the Santa Monica/Venice area so I wasn't exactly the best test case.

They need to fix that shit. Not just because of the size of LA, but simply because it is so influential in the media.

Silock
09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
iPhone 5 -- meh.

iOS 6 -- do want! Excited!

Pablo
09-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like thin phones? The thinner they are the more prone they are to drop and its just awkward fiddling around with them. After I got the extended battery for my Evo I actually liked the thicker phone. I've played with the SII and it is annoyingly thin.Yeah, I bought a S3 tonight and I was totally surprised at how thin it was. I bought a case because I am pretty prone to dropping shit and I also wanted to add a bit of thickness and weight to the phone. It's still goddamn slick though. I can't believe a phone this big fits so well in my pocket and is so light.

That being said; I don't feel like I need to carry a brick around in my pocket so I don't drop it. It'll take a bit of adjusting; but I'm sure handling this phone will be no problem.

The Bad Guy
09-15-2012, 08:27 AM

You really might be the only one that wants to carry around a phone that needs a case manufactured by LL Bean to support it.

The Bad Guy
09-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I preordered the phone early Friday morning and I'll get it on first shipment. Wife is getting one as well since her 3Gs needs a massive upgrade. If Amazon wasn't going to give me 395 for my 4s, I would have held off.

Gravedigger
09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Picked up my Iphone today at the Sprint Store off 135th and Blackbob. Pretty sweet phone thus far, I'm coming off an EVO 4G, first edition, and this thing blazes by it as most phones nowadays would I suppose. The thing that pissed me off is that they only had 64GB Black phones, and everything else was in white that was in stock and I had heard there was about 100 people outside the Apple store so F going somewhere else when I was fourth in line.

A couple things:

It is light... holy shit is it light. Get a case to heavy it up.

The screen doesnt seem to be made out of the same stuff my Ipad 3 screen is so it takes some more wipes from the cloth to get out smudges, but just a few more.

Pictures are amazing and so is video and the fact that I can now just click and share to facebook easier than before makes it a very nice edition.

The overall thing is that who cares is you like Apple or who cares if you like Android, do what you do. I had the first generation Iphone, thing was awesome for the 2 years I had it, I then went to the EVO 4G for the past 2.5 years, and now I'm back to Iphone. Honestly this phone is a bit on the small side, so I'm sure when my contract is up again I'll go back to Andriod, one of their huge phones probably. I'm happy with my purchase, I know it'll have some little nuances, but I was due for an upgrade and this was the phone that was new at the time so I snagged it.

The Bad Guy
09-22-2012, 12:36 AM
The overall thing is that who cares is you like Apple or who cares if you like Android, do what you do. I had the first generation Iphone, thing was awesome for the 2 years I had it, I then went to the EVO 4G for the past 2.5 years, and now I'm back to Iphone. Honestly this phone is a bit on the small side, so I'm sure when my contract is up again I'll go back to Andriod, one of their huge phones probably. I'm happy with my purchase, I know it'll have some little nuances, but I was due for an upgrade and this was the phone that was new at the time so I snagged it.

For me personally, this phone is superior to any Android phone I had. I can't picture ever going back. Yes, I understand some features on Android are better. However, I just think the 5 is superior to any cell that I would use in my every day life.

BigMeatballDave
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
For me personally, this phone is superior to any Android phone I had. I can't picture ever going back. Yes, I understand some features on Android are better. However, I just think the 5 is superior to any cell that I would use in my every day life.

I feel the same way, but opposite.

Its just a matter of personal preference.

BWillie
09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Hilarious Samsung commercial today mocking you iPhone sheep that love to wait in line to get a subpar phone that you can't customize.

BigMeatballDave
09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Hilarious Samsung commercial today mocking you iPhone sheep that love to wait in line to get a subpar phone that you can't customize.

It is pretty funny.

"They make the coolest adapters"

The Bad Guy
09-23-2012, 11:56 PM

I didn't wait in line, nor am I stupid enough to know that you can't customize it.

DBOSHO
09-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Ive owned both platforms multiple times. I love both for different reasons.

Androids obviously customizable you can do things i like like emulators and such

Iphones are just easier to use. And they were the only phones that could take screencaps before the new androids. They also have better battery life and dont feel cheap.

I do hate how apple always takes a "madden" approach to where they dont improve much year to year but they know "iSheep" will buy them anyway.

I have an iphone 4 right now. In a few months ill probably have an android lol im always going back and forth. Before this i had an s2 skyrocket which i absolutely loved and had no intention of getting rid of but i tried messing with it and bricked it.

Saul Good
09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Are the Apple true-believers actually doing a disservice to themselves by lining up for marginally better phones? Does this make Apple complacent?

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Its not marginal dude. It owns.

Pablo
09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I asked my boss how he liked his new iPhone and it was a resounding meh.

Buck
09-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh Lord.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh Lord.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy shit ROFLROFLROFL. The funniest thing about that is that he's mocking her right in her face and she doesn't realize it. ROFL

NewChief
09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh Lord.

She seems fairly autistic or at least on the spectrum.

Mr. Plow
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh Lord.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMsLArefSOw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'm sold. I MUST have an Apple 5.

Urc Burry
09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Mine came in on Friday. Love it so far and prefer it to Android. Didn't realize how fast 4G actually was. I like to think I have pretty good wifi at home and it seems to be every bit as fast

BigMeatballDave
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Oh Lord.

LMAO

Is this the general iPhone demographic?

Would not surprise me.

NewChief
09-24-2012, 07:18 PM
As I said, I'm pretty sure she's either autistic or a drug addict waiting in line who will then resale the phone for a profit.

Dave Lane
09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Its a setup. Duh.

SLAG
09-25-2012, 01:56 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mfGaYceW6kY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. Chieffan
09-26-2012, 05:18 PM
IPhone 5 has a bitchin camera

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-is-faulty-shows-a-purple-haze/

L.A. Chieffan
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
You can't watch YouTube on ios 6? Whaaaaa?

DaveNull
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Uh..yes you can. Either through the built in player from the web or you could download their app.

Never used the standalone app before so its removal was a plus for me...less app switching for no reason.

RustShack
09-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Whats the price difference of these phones?

GordonGekko
09-28-2012, 11:38 AM
iP5 costs under $200 to make...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/28/technology/apple-maps-apology/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I know there are 'other' expenses that go into bringing products to market, but that is quite a markup since they are selling these phones to providers for $600.

L.A. Chieffan
09-28-2012, 01:37 PM
The memory thing is what seems like a slap in the face to their customers. Why does it cost an extra hundred dollars to go up 16 gigs of memory? And for that matter why does an 8 gig iPod touch cost two hundred bucks? That thing is ONLY used for its memory. I can buy a 32 gig micro sd for thirty bucks! Hello!?!

DaveNull
09-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Why are these oranges so expensive when these apples are so cheap? For that matter, why do oranges cost that much anyway when I end up peeling them and throwing away all that stuff on the outside? Hello!?!

L.A. Chieffan
09-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Why are these oranges so expensive when these apples are so cheap? For that matter, why do oranges cost that much anyway when I end up peeling them and throwing away all that stuff on the outside? Hello!?!

This post has more fail than iOs 6 maps.

AustinChief
09-28-2012, 05:06 PM
iP5 costs under $200 to make...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/28/technology/apple-maps-apology/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I know there are 'other' expenses that go into bringing products to market, but that is quite a markup since they are selling these phones to providers for $600.

This is a tough one to solve because it happens with all the major manufacturers. Galaxy S3 is about the same. The only reason they get away with it is because of the subsidies the carriers are willing to pay. As more and more people move to no contract plans the subsidies will dry up and you'll start to see pricing fall to reasonable levels. My guess would be 3-5 years before we see it though.

vailpass
09-28-2012, 05:08 PM
The memory thing is what seems like a slap in the face to their customers. Why does it cost an extra hundred dollars to go up 16 gigs of memory? And for that matter why does an 8 gig iPod touch cost two hundred bucks? That thing is ONLY used for its memory. I can buy a 32 gig micro sd for thirty bucks! Hello!?!

Not being able to add your own memory does seem crazy, and backward.

WhitiE
09-28-2012, 06:54 PM
black 64gig, i love it. its my first iphone

ZepSinger
09-29-2012, 11:54 AM
My wife's iPhone 5 is having issues less than 2 weeks after purchase. The phone does not recognize the SIM card. Turns out this is a pretty widespread problem, according to Sprint customer service and Sprint forums. And no clear solution at this time either. Anyone here having this issue?

Chocolate Hog
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Sprint is using a sim card for the 5?

Buehler445
09-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Sarcasm meter dude. Calibrate.

ZepSinger
09-29-2012, 04:01 PM

guess so. The wife just went to the Sprint store to have them replace the card, which they did. Seems to be working now. The phone rep from Sprint said that this is a widespread problem that both Sprint and Apple know about.

EDIT: sounds like the problem is prevalent at both AT&T and Verizon as well, according to the forums...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4327783?start=0&tstart=0

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Just pop the SIM out and back in restart. Should fix the problem.

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Sprint and Verizon are using the SIM because its an LTE device even though Sprint has about .00000001 LTE coverage. Verizon had a SIM in the 4s because it was a global phone but it never actually got activated unless you went overseas.

L.A. Chieffan
10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
So apparently the phone is a giant POS.

Scratch and cosmetic issues right out of the box
Camera problems
Light leakage on white models
Shitty battery
Shitty Wi-fi
Battery comes loose inside phone and makes rattling sound
No SIM problem
Some phones just refuse to activate
and today it was announced that even though the phone is in Wi-fi you still get charged data as if it was in 3G/4G

HAHA looks like Apple really dropped the ball on this one but it wont matter. SELL ANOTHER 5 MILLION